• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
potentially unpopular opinion: the rise of digital games has led people to think of games they don't like as "backlog" that they're obligated to finish instead of mid games they tried and can now sell
In my case my backlog it's usually games that get recommended to me or I've heard good things about.
For example titanfall 2 or dragon quest 11S echoes of an elusive age definitive edition, everyone says those games are amazing and I have them but I just don't feel like playing them.
I had paper Mario ttyd for like 10 years but I only played it when origami king was announced.
Instead for your example I don't consider pikmin 2 part of my backlog, I tried to play it 3 different times and I just don't like it so I'll probably never finish it.

Instead for your example I don't consider pikmin 2 part of my backlog, I tried to play it 3 different times and I just don't like it so I'll probably never finish it.
yeah, this is the sort of "backlog" I mean. I have a bunch of digital games I tried that I wish I could get rid of

potentially unpopular opinion: the rise of digital games has led people to think of games they don't like as "backlog" that they're obligated to finish instead of mid games they tried and can now sell
The two backlog trackers that I have tried call this “Quit”, and I’ve carried over the concept to my switch groups. Doesn’t solve the underlying issue of getting someone to actually quit a game that they can’t return, but it helps.

yeah, this is the sort of "backlog" I mean. I have a bunch of digital games I tried that I wish I could get rid of
Most of my backlog is stuff I hoarded on digital sales and then started playing something else instead
On https://www.backloggd.com/ you can mark stuff as "abandoned" so it goes away from the backlog list
I never marked anything with it tho xD seems kinda harsh dunno

I just want a Zelda Direct so I have my "casus belli" to create my The Legend of Zelda ST but frankly I think I might do that anyway.

Besides, I just started The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD recently.

No lies detected.

A Mario Bros. retrospective I read some time ago put it best (I'm paraphrasing here): "Most legendary retro games must be approached with a certain mantra in mind: "This was mind blowing back in the day". Super Mario Bros. 3, on the other hand, could have been released yesterday and it still would be getting 10 out of 10s all across the board".
So very, very true! It's simply rock solid!

Super Mario Bros 3 > Sunshine and it isn't even close.
Definitely! And I don't even hate Sunshine, but compared to 3? 3D or not, that game is insanely great and defining!

Tetris is perfect.
Hmm...it actually kind of is! :ROFLMAO:

I think their appeal is kind of different. I can speedrun a 2D Mario level getting fun out of the various obstacles without worrying about things like camera angles and what not, just a solid obstacle course with focus on gravity and speed. Meanwhile when playing Sunshine the gameplay is a bit more focused on walking around and investigating stuff and there's an opportunity for "sitting and smelling the flowers".
Calling 3D better than 2D to me is like calling Mario Kart better than Mario Strikers, the kind of fun I experience from both is just too different and their gameplay is also focusing on different things.
Agree with that! Different experiences, and I really love them both!

But that's not all - we're also adding to our line up the "Limited Time Remasters that Nobody Wanted" direct.

Super Yarn Metroid will be available on the e-shop until 8/31.
Haha, ah man!!

j1ZPStV.jpg

Dang people are talented!

Nah this is pretty accurate. I feel this weird obligation to keep trying things over and over again even though I just don't like them.

Good example: I was really disappointed with Bioshock 2 after loving the first one and I've probably bounced off of it after a few hours of play, like, 5 or so times, but I eternally have just kept it in my head as a backlog game instead of just some shit I don't like. There's a lot of games like that in my "backlog".

yes yes and one more: the fact you can't sell shit anymore
Ah man, the selling/trading culture is great, and as much as I miss physical myself, I do like digital to reduce on clutter! Didn't think I'd ever be that way, but am now! Have fond memories of selling games for gas money even, as sad as it sounds, but it was still really nice times being able to have command over what you owned in that way!

I just want a Zelda Direct so I have my "casus belli" to create my The Legend of Zelda ST but frankly I think I might do that anyway.

Besides, I just started The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD recently.
Ah, nice, have you ever played it before?

I like most of the 3D Marios over the 2D games, but definitely disagree about some of the talk here about the New Super games. New Super Wii is excellent from start to finish and New Super U with Luigi U is fantastic as well. I’d at least place both of those over Mario Galaxy, the weakest of the 3D games. Though we did get some great levels in both Mario Maker 3DS and Mario Maker 2, I’m really bummed it’s been ten years since New Super U. Mario needs a new full 2D adventure again.

For backlog talk, backlogs are awesome. There are so many games out there I’d love to play and I don’t always have time to enjoy games right at launch. If a game is good, like actually fundamentally good, time doesn’t suddenly make a game worse even if it changes how you look at and approach it. I take games as they come, with what they had to work with and what they set out to do. I’ll bounce around from the latest and greatest back to NES classics and everything in between with no sweat. This year especially with the 3DS and Wii U shops closing strengthening my feelings my old hardware won’t last forever, I’ve been going hard on my deep backlog. I’ve beaten 65 games this year, 13 from this year and 52 from prior years. Most of those 52 games were from older platforms and it’s been awesome playing so many cool older games. I guess I’m mainly saying, a backlog is not something to worry about as long as you enjoy it eventually.

Happy reminder that crowder is a giant homophobic piece of shit (he actually sells t-shirts and mugs with f-word and slurs).

Please, for fucks sake, stop showing his face for memes.
Sorry. Didn't know this. Will remove it,
Thanks for telling me,

I sure hope so, I am absolutely starving for some actual info about the game
I think next week will go like this: Monday announcement for a Wednesday Direct; direct ends with info about testfire playtime on the weekend(Saturday and Sunday). Just like how we all have been expecting.

Guess it’s safe to say anyone that voted hardware is wrong.

It never really felt like there was actual buzz this was happening any time soon. The software front didn’t speak to it either (Mario Kart DLC and Splatoon 3 specifically). I think the earliest we see it is October, but the article/quotes attached suggests it is even further out.

At this point, I think the Switch "Pro" is just gonna be a straight up successor tbh. Spring or Fall 2024 release, maybe?
The hardware never made sense for a pro to begin with. People have tried to deal with that conundrum by suggesting it's a pro-successor hybrid with no exclusives for a few years, but there's not a lot of logic in why you wouldn't give it at least a few key exclusive games to sell the hardware, if it's gonna succeed the device anyway. If this thing is going to eventually replace the switch, you gotta give people a reason to upgrade and graphics is not gonna cut it for most consumers.

The biggest plot twist about Switch Pro is that it does not exist, maybe it was on the cards but that was before covid. I am not expecting it at this point.

The opportunity to release a Pro model was I think at the time of the OLED release. It makes more sense to go direct with a successor.

Also if there was a Pro model being tested and at dev companies, I'm sure the feedback would have been invaluable for Nintendo. And they could have used it for testing and dev feedback on hardware changes.

yes yes and one more: the fact you can't sell shit anymore

My backlog consists of stuff I own and intend to play and have either not played or not reached the credits of. That alone, across all platforms, is over 600 games. Then there's another 400+ games across older platforms that I intend to buy some day. My 500+ non-backlog games consists of games I've either finished or played at least an hour of and decided I didn't like.

No I have no idea when I'll find time for this, hopefully early retirement if I continue saving money living with parents and working in a decently well paying career.

Last edited:
My backlog consists of stuff I own and intend to play. That alone, across all platforms, is over 600 games. Then there's another 400+ games across older platforms that I intend to buy some day. My 500+ non-backlog games consists of games I've either finished or played at least an hour of and decided I didn't like.

No I have no idea when I'll find time for this, hopefully early retirement if I continue saving money living with parents and working in a decently well paying career.
damn and i thought the 76 games i own on switch and 3ds were a lot

Guys, don't want to alarm you
but TODAY IS THE DAY

Yeah, 40°C here in germany!

Keep yourself in cool places and don't forget to drink much, folks!

I again can recommend a fridge cooled watermelon for refreshing. Other melons work too, but watermelon is extra fresh!

Yeah, 40°C here in germany!

Keep yourself in cool places and don't forget to drink much, folks!

I again can recommend a fridge cooled watermelon for refreshing. Other melons work too, but watermelon is extra fresh!
That is really, really hot over there! Didn't know it was that bad. Take care and be careful!

And another vote for nice, cold watermelon, the Queen of Melons! Really does hydrate you better and cool you down great!

In other News… coming 11.11.22

Aaaah, good news! Thank you for sharing!

No BotW 2 or Prime 4 until at least mid-2023 then.

Shouts out to whoever it was in the Nintendo community who declared Prime 4 for 2023 as far back as Jan 2019, despite being shouted down the entire time.
Me thank you. But it wasnt here it was in MCD (metroid community discord).

Even in 2017 i thought people who said it was coming soon were silly. I thought of 2020, but honestly looking back even then that was way too soon. Probably 2022, a year after dread.

And frankly? People who disagreed with the 2023 thing post reboot were delusional. Nintendo didnt say "oh we found some small hurdles it will need a bit more of time". They said they were rebooting it to the ground and giving it tk another studio.

Also it might release in 2024 lmao

I’ve actually been kind of hoping for no drake this year mainly because I’m getting the steam deck in Q4 and I really don’t want to spend the money on both around the same time

Me thank you. But it wasnt here it was in MCD (metroid community discord).

Even in 2017 i thought people who said it was coming soon were silly. I thought of 2020, but honestly looking back even then that was way too soon. Probably 2022, a year after dread.

And frankly? People who disagreed with the 2023 thing post reboot were delusional. Nintendo didnt say "oh we found some small hurdles it will need a bit more of time". They said they were rebooting it to the ground and giving it tk another studio.

Also it might release in 2024 lmao

Yep, 2024 definitely isn't off the cards.

I don't like backlog thinking and only use backloggd as a universal wishlist and journal for when I've finished games.
Last year I've also started to pretty strictly never buy games unless I:
1) Want to play them right when I get them and have the time in the coming weeks to actually play through them.
or 2) I find them physically for WAY cheaper than usual and I fear I will not find them for that price again. And since I don't really look for games actively that doesn't happen a lot.

I beleieve the only 2022 release I've bought so far is the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Pass. Very cool

Shouts out to whoever it was in the Nintendo community who declared Prime 4 for 2023 as far back as Jan 2019, despite being shouted down the entire time.
Hey I believe I said 2023 ever since the reboot, let's gooooo

To me metroid prime 4 in 2023 was always the best case scenario.
As far as botw2 goes I still think it'll release in late march but I don't know maybe it get's to November 2023 and we have to wait for e3 to see it. and then it get's delayed to early 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom