• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has turned into the calm before the storm.
For some reason I read "calm" as "clam" and now I'm all like:

iOceJbt.png

Prime remaster feels like a weird remaster to single out as “boring”

Like, the other ones we’ve gotten in the Switch era have been Wii U ports from less than 5 years ago at the time.

This is like… one of the most acclaimed games of all time and allegedly has had lots of work done on it from the studio that originally made it. Like if we’re talking first party ports/remasters, it’s gotta be the most exciting if anything

Prime remaster feels like a weird remaster to single out as “boring”

Like, the other ones we’ve gotten in the Switch era have been Wii U ports from less than 5 years ago at the time.

This is like… one of the most acclaimed games of all time and allegedly has had lots of work done on it from the studio that originally made it. Like if we’re talking first party ports/remasters, it’s gotta be the most exciting if anything
While it was presented aggressively, I don’t think the core opinion is off or anything. Ports/remasters are welcome, but not necessarily exciting if you’ve played the game before or weren’t interested prior. Prime is one of my all time favorite games and I’m also very excited others will get to play it, but I’m not personally anxiously anticipating the Remakester. I’ll pick it up day one mainly because it is one of my favorite games ever on Switch, secondly since it is portable, while it being remastered is a distant third reason for being excited over it. Honestly I would have vastly preferred they just brought over the Trilogy rather than touching up the graphics of one game that still looks excellent today. There’s not much to wonder or dream about given what we know about it (not much being altered or new), hence it being less exciting.

I'll probably get excited about Prime remaster when we see it. Even though it's one of my all time favorite games, the prospect of playing it again with better graphics doesn't do a lot for me without seeing the graphics.

Other than that, there's the matter of control scheme, and honestly I'm a bit worried about it. I feel like that going to be divisive, no matter what they do.

First of all, I'm a hypocrite because I would but a Goldeneye remaster.
But I would argue that in the case of Goldeneye, the game was clearly held back by technology and ran at a frame rate detrimental to the gameplay. This isn't the case for Metroid prime 1 which ran at 60fps and which visuals never gave me the impression that I was playing a lesser version of the developer's vision.
For people who haven't experienced the game yet, I can understand the excitement. Just not for me.

for someone who started the week with "no pessimism, only hype" you sure do have a lot of bummer takes my dude
I have to agree with Raccoon though. Prime is a great game and I‘m happy that it’s getting a remake, but this is currently the only new first party announcement rumored for the second half of this year, which is normally the time for surprises and other big new titles. Something fresh like a 2D/3D Mario oder DK sounds so much more exciting tbh

I can't hold it against anyone saying a remaster/remake/port is boring, especially if its allegedly the first party holiday title.

Personally I am extremely hyped but at the end of the day Metroid is still one of the more niche core franchises Nintendo has.

Before any quesses whats happening next week, let's just wait and see what SamusHunter says on the matter.

also anyone see how these twitter "insiders" are quiet when credible sources are quiet too?

I'd much rather have widely supported high quality GameCube emulation on Switch than separate remakes, but since the first one isn't happening, I'm happy to take whatever remakes I can get. Metroid Prime is one of the best games I've ever played, and I'm happy to play it again without having to jump through too many hoops.

I'd much rather have widely supported high quality GameCube emulation on Switch than separate remakes, but since the first one isn't happening, I'm happy to take whatever remakes I can get. Metroid Prime is one of the best games I've ever played, and I'm happy to play it again without having to jump through too many hoops.
Not gonna lie the thing that really hyped me for a Prime Remaster was the effort they allegedly put into it. I really hope it looks and plays fantastic on a modern system.

I've been out of the loop since the last Psrterns Showcase 'cause I thought we wouldn't have news for some time. Why is everyone expecting a Pro release? Is there any smoke? Sorry if I'm late to that.

I've been out of the loop since the last Psrterns Showcase 'cause I thought we wouldn't have news for some time. Why is everyone expecting a Pro release? Is there any smoke? Sorry if I'm late to that.

Nintendo made the Switch OLED reveal trailer and Switch Lite reveal trailer private on YouTube which spawned people to think new hardware was imminent. Shortly after Nintendo unveiled the Switch OLED Splatoon 3 model. That's about it really. So basically a nothing burger which cheese. Still I think new hardware could be introduced sometime next year that launches with the new Zelda but that's just my personal speculation.

I am gonna be honest with you folks. I am not feeling any Direct or Event until the Splatoon 3 Direct in August. Then in September you will get a huge ass general Direct.

Yeah, they could easily get by Twitter drops until a September Direct.

MK8 DLC, Bayonetta 3 updates as twitter drops and a Splatoon Direct is all I expect until then. And who knows if Grubb is even right about the MP Remake releasing this holiday.

I am gonna be honest with you folks. I am not feeling any Direct or Event until the Splatoon 3 Direct in August. Then in September you will get a huge ass general Direct.

MK8 DLC, Bayonetta 3 updates as twitter drops and a Splatoon Direct is all I expect until then. And who knows if Grubb is even right about the MP Remake releasing this holiday.
Ok

Because we're in a light Nintendoomed mood I'd like to give my top 5 things I'd like to see... last month. Let me know if I'm doing the doom well aight?

1. Zelda.
2. Zelda.
3. Zelda.
4. Zelda.
5. Zelda.

And now for 5 things that I'd like to see this week*:

1. Zelda.
2. Switch 4K.
3. Zelda.
4. MK8 DLC.
5. Splatoon 3 Single Player I Guess

*but we'll prolly get nothing until september and even that is wibbly wobbly

I never had the opportunity to the play the Prime games even as a huge fan of 2D Metroid, so I'm super excited for the remaster.

Top 5 things I want to see this week.
1. Bayo 3 trailer + release date
2. New Fire emblem
3. Mario strikers dlc
4. Metroid prime remake
5. Mario kart 8 dlc wave 2
I don't think this is too much to ask

I agree with you, this makes more sense than waiting for a Direct (mini) first party in July or August.

I also have my doubts about MP Remake, they have Pokemon as the big holiday release and i doubt they're going to reveal a big, brand new game in the September direct that will launch before the end of the year.

As for this week... maybe a new hardware reveal? Either that or something Splatoon 3 related. I think for the rest of the year, Nintendo has their schedule full and any new games reveals that their going to make this year will be in a September Direct, but to release in 2023. So let's hope for the twitter drops to know when is Bayonetta 3 finally going to release :).

If Metroid Prime 4 doesn't get released by 2023 I hope we get a 2D remake in the meantime or at the very least GB and GBA emulation.

I need my Fusion fix.

If the rumours about them releasing more than one GameCube remaster this year (2 Zeldas and a Metroid), I'd guess one would be out before October and so likely announced before Splatoon. But they did do that very short notice release of Mario 3D collection so maybe it will just be a repeat of that.
Either way, would not require an entire direct to announce ports of the Wii U's Zelda ports.

We really are doom posting if we don't even expect MK8DLC twitter drops, what happened to this thread? :cry:
It's weekend so we can't anticipate potentially extant announcements! 😭

EDIT: seriously though, last week was a ride - I think my Speculation Endorphins are depleted for a while. Power to all with more stamina!

also i'm bored

Last edited:
How would you feel if Nintendo went this route in the future:
  • Nintendo Direct
    • 2 each year, February, September - First party stuff, Trailers for new games, NSO related stuff, DLCs for existing games, deepdives
  • Nintendo Indie Showcase
    • 3 each year, March, August, December - same format as current
  • Nintendo Partner Showcase
    • 2 each year, January, August - Third party and partner games.
  • Nintendo E3/Summer Direct
    • June - A general direct like we know them today, covering all fronts
  • Nintendo game specific Directs
    • When in need - Think games that needs bigger deepdives, Smash, Animal Crossing, Xenoblades, Splatoons etc..
Basically, segmenting everything.

Check the thread marked summary post by Derachi.
Nintendo made the Switch OLED reveal trailer and Switch Lite reveal trailer private on YouTube which spawned people to think new hardware was imminent. Shortly after Nintendo unveiled the Switch OLED Splatoon 3 model. That's about it really. So basically a nothing burger which cheese. Still I think new hardware could be introduced sometime next year that launches with the new Zelda but that's just my personal speculation.
This isn't even true. The Lite trailer was made private a year ago, nobody thought that meant anything. And we had that Chinese source telling us about the Splatoon 3 OLED model hours before it dropped, the same source telling us a new enhanced model is launching this year.

So there's actually quite a fair amount of smoke, the OLED video being removed is really not even part of that anymore.

• Nintendo Direct
    • 2 each year, February, September - First party stuff, Trailers for new games, NSO related stuff, DLCs for existing games, deepdives
    • When in need - Think games that needs bigger deepdives, Smash, Animal Crossing, Xenoblades, Splatoons etc..
That would be great but Nintendo wouldn’t do so many, this year for example we’re probably only having 2 general directs. Last year we had 3 but no mini/partner.

I think they should do it as simple as possible. Do 3 general directs per year and make them as great as possible. The back-to-back presentation of smaller, bigger, 1st and 3rd party games is what makes Directs so good. Not a big fan of partner/mini and twitter drops. However, they’ll keep doing them cause they always want something surprising

I'm back after a few days (and mod warning...). I've been thinking that there are some rumours about a new Playstation portable being made and that could be an interesting rival to the Switch pro. I don't think Nintendo cares about that console so definitely it won't affect lauch dates, but I'm curious to know how that could end up in the long term.
Imagine a portable console that runs every digital PS4 game, plus new games, TV docked mode and none of the errors Vita did... at 300 - 400$. That's probably Switch Pro territory, and having real comptetition would be a really good thing for us, Nintendo Switch Pro users lol.

Anyway, I'm starting to not feel new hardware announcement for this year.

This has turned into the calm before the storm.
pz862wB.gif

5 Things I'd Like to see:

1. MK8 DLC Wave 2
2. The next NSO system (hopefully GB/GBC)
3. More NSO XP sweeteners / perks
4. Bayo 3 release date + demo
5. Something surprising

it wouldn't, actually. we'd most likely end up with even less third party support and a struggling platform
Assuming there's actual smoke to the rumors we're going to need to hear a lot more from Sony about how they're not going to fuck up their portable the third time in a row. And with the Switch having positive relationships with indies and Japanese pubs right now I don't think it's going to hurt 3rd party support that much. Western pubs are a different story though.

Also Sony launching a portable when they're still struggling with PS5 manufacturing is 🤦‍♂️

• Nintendo Direct
This is basically what Nintendo has been doing already since 2018

A PlayStation portable would be a huge blow to Nintendo Switch, and anyone who believes otherwise isn't taking the threat that Sony poses seriously. If Nintendo is once again an enemy of PlayStation, it will not be victorious.
Wait, what have I missed? There are rumours for a new Sony Portable?

A PlayStation portable would be a huge blow to Nintendo Switch, and anyone who believes otherwise isn't taking the threat that Sony poses seriously. If Nintendo is once again an enemy of PlayStation, it will not be victorious.
Playstation portable would work only if it can play PS5 games. Sony can't make games for multiple systems. With that much money and studios, they can only barely make 3 games a year. Consoles need great first party support, this is why Switch is so successful.

You mean sale-wise? Doubt it, most peoples buy the Switch just for the games from Nintendo.
If it wasn't for that, I would never have bought that weak-ass tablet.

Why do you think it would be a threat? What impact do you expect it to have?

Nah.

First off, I haven't seen any rumors so I'm not sure where this is even coming from. But even if there are rumors I don't see them being true, their last foray into portables was the Vita. The market has spoken, they don't want a PlayStation portable.

And if for some reason Jimbo thinks it's a good idea I have zero faith it will take off since Sony has spent decades now and tons of money telling people that incredible graphics and cinematics are what make games great, and that you can only get it on "the world's most powerful console" or whatever. And that is not a portable.

So yeah, no. I very much doubt it's happening, but if it does it won't mean anything for Nintendo or Switch.

Why do you think it would be a threat? What impact do you expect it to have?
If it manages to get even a small install base, it will be a far more appealing platform to develop for thanks to being on an x86 architecture. If Nintendo ends up making the error of releasing a Switch 2 in 2024, they won't have a userbase to compete with, and the new system will lose any momentum it could have had.

Of course, that is all under the assumption that Sony makes a new portable and that it's a good product.

It could be threat if it was hybrid maybe; though Sony would have to compromise on power as much as Nintendo, and I'm not sure that their audience would like that.

Purely portable, with its own games? Not during this millennium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom