• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony had great PS Vita but they failed to support it, they will not make another handheld in a near future. Remember when some people were laughing that 3DS is doomed because Vita exists? Yeah. Even if, their biggest games will be always released on their home console so it does not make any sense.

If it manages to get even a small install base, it will be a far more appealing platform to develop for thanks to being on an x86 architecture. If Nintendo ends up making the error of releasing a Switch 2 in 2024, they won't have a userbase to compete with, and the new system will lose any momentum it could have had.

Of course, that is all under the assumption that Sony makes a new portable and that it's a good product.
I agree with you entirely that a new PSP would be a serious competitor. Especially since Switch has normalized console/like games on a handheld device.

Sony can’t even properly stock PS5’s right now, I don’t know that they’d actually make a whole new line of hardware.

If it manages to get even a small install base, it will be a far more appealing platform to develop for thanks to being on an x86 architecture. If Nintendo ends up making the error of releasing a Switch 2 in 2024, they won't have a userbase to compete with, and the new system will lose any momentum it could have had.

Of course, that is all under the assumption that Sony makes a new portable and that it's a good product.
If Sony wants to make a portable it wouldnt launch until a couple of years more at best, such a big project would take years in the making and wouldn’t have started until 2019-2020 at best. Even if Switch 2 was in 2024 it would release before a new Sony portable, and then there is that I dont know how a Sony portable fits Sony future strategy

There's nothing easier about developing for an x86 handheld. If anything it's harder because of the awful power efficiency.

I don't understand how someone could look at Sony's position in the market over the past decade and conclude that they're making another handheld. Nintendo went handheld-only (sorry, "hybrid") to solve the problem of splitting their software output across two incompatible devices and concentrated on their more successful hardware lineage. Why would Sony do this in reverse? "PS4 as a portable" sounds neat, and they could hypothetically make a handheld device that performs similarly, but there's no way to make it run the existing PS4 library natively.

I mean, you all make great points. But if Sony announces a portable hybrid PS4 I'm gonna skip town and become an adult LEGO forum poster

An hybrid PS4 would probably get slaughtered by the next Switch in terms of power, if the leaked specifications are to be trusted. And power has historically been the main selling point of Sony's portable consoles.

A PlayStation portable would be a huge blow to Nintendo Switch, and anyone who believes otherwise isn't taking the threat that Sony poses seriously. If Nintendo is once again an enemy of PlayStation, it will not be victorious.
Where is this coming from? Are there rumours about one?

And even if they would it wouldn't change that much because it's not like the PSP and Vita made Nintendo obsolete. Why would a PS handheld/hybrid now?

Nintendo nowadays finds a perfect balance of core and casual franchises imo and its their biggest strength.

Its like saying the Steam Deck would be a huge blow to the Switch or Cloud Gaming.

I mean it could but I don't see it happening in the near future.

Because in the end of the day you still need a good connection for mobile cloud gaming.

both of these are also threats.

I've been seeing a lot of ads for cloud gaming recently, and these services have been pitched similarly to the Switch: if you're playing on a portable screen, you can seamlessly switch to a TV.
Of course they are threats. But not now and the Steam Deck is still a machine for enthusiasts. Especially if you look at the price point. It also has not these big exclusive games a mainstream machine needs when we talk about 70-120 million sold units like for the Switch.

Sony could, hypothetically, make something like the Steam Deck. Their PC games are already playable there and a lot of third-party games are as well. But it has to be something in the PS5 family not something else.

I don't understand how someone could look at Sony's position in the market over the past decade and conclude that they're making another handheld. Nintendo went handheld-only (sorry, "hybrid") to solve the problem of splitting their software output across two incompatible devices and concentrated on their more successful hardware lineage. Why would Sony do this in reverse? "PS4 as a portable" sounds neat, and they could hypothetically make a handheld device that performs similarly, but there's no way to make it run the existing PS4 library natively.
Are you sure it would be technically impossible to achieve native ps4 bc on something like the SD APU?

lol some Youtubers man wtf

tumblr_33caa6fa2d9060d1ebf32b7f13a3bf38_59ae975d_1280.jpg

Legos are so expensive that the only ones I buy are the architecture series and only the cheap ones at that. Speaking of which, I still need to build Tokyo and pick up Singapore at some point.
I sometimes buy some sets for my nephew and its always shocking how fucking expensive this shit is. Especially for the things you get.

Legos are so expensive that the only ones I buy are the architecture series and only the cheap ones at that. Speaking of which, I still need to build Tokyo and pick up Singapore at some point.
I wish they would do more single buildings at a similar price point. The skylines are alright, but I'd much prefer greater architectural detail. Fallingwater is one of my favorite LEGO sets and I'd love more Frank Lloyd Wright

You did say low-effort, but like, you’re not wrong. The models are barely touched up from their Tour counterparts, the only real work done was the insertion of moving 8DX assets (airships, paratroopas, MKTV vans) and changes to the lighting.

Yes, these tracks clearly required less work than the tracks created for the original game, but like, that’s not a criticism to the tracks themselves, it’s just the truth of the matter, but that statement means nothing towards the quality of the tracks themselves.

Essentially,
The tracks required little effort to bring over = the tracks are bad

What exactly is being criticized when calling them "low effort"

If it's criticizing the complexity of the tracks, why does the criticism have to revolve around the level of effort the devs are putting into it? Why don't we just say "low complexity tracks"?

If it's criticizing the complexity of the tracks, why does the criticism have to revolve around the level of effort the devs are putting into it? Why don't we just say "low complexity tracks"?
yeah its basically disguised lazy dev rhetoric imo.

"Low-effort" is not criticism of individuals, it's criticism of organizations. They did not allocate the resources required to make these tracks visually congruent with Mario Kart 8. I don't think that can be contested.

Now, would I in practice even prefer them to have done so? No, because I want Yabuki to make that Wave Race Takahashi mentioned a few years ago. So I probably shouldn't complain about a simple addition that was economically made.

"Low-effort" is not criticism of individuals, it's criticism of organizations. They did not allocate the resources required to make these tracks visually congruent with Mario Kart 8. I don't think that can be contested.

Now, would I in practice even prefer them to have done so? No, because I want Yabuki to make that Wave Race Takahashi mentioned a few years ago. So I probably shouldn't complain about a simple addition that was economically made.

It's still about the framing

"economical" says the aame thing whereas "low effort" undeniably implies lazy workers, and if it doesn't to you, it does to every person who tends to whine abour "lazy devs"

yeah its basically disguised lazy dev rhetoric imo.
Not really, as we‘re not talking about devs who „don’t get their job done“ or something like that, but Nintendo’s decision to just import all the tracks. Five years after getting only an MK8 port, it’s fair to expect a bit more than that for Nintendos most popular Switch IP.
I‘m personally interested in the DLC even and I was hyped about the announcement because it’s at least SOMETHING Mario Kart, but it fits well to many decisions Nintendo made within the last few years to sell products that are absolutely lowest effort.

Check the thread marked summary post by Derachi.

This isn't even true. The Lite trailer was made private a year ago, nobody thought that meant anything. And we had that Chinese source telling us about the Splatoon 3 OLED model hours before it dropped, the same source telling us a new enhanced model is launching this year.

So there's actually quite a fair amount of smoke, the OLED video being removed is really not even part of that anymore.

To be honest I speculated (to myself) that the Chinese guy could have found some website leak or something indicating that the Splatoon OLED Switch was about to release. Or just a very good guess. Even if he knew it existed, how exactly would he know when it was going to release? Seemed fishy to me. Just wondered if he found some hint in one of the Nintendo sites webcode or something that was indicating it was going to release. Pure speculation of course.

Here is my take on new MK tracks. Yes they are kinda lazy, but it' more Mario Kart 8 so. Btw. I have not bought the course pass, I cannot play them locally but I still can play them online. So it's basically free, in that way I have nothing to complain about.
Also, the opportunity cost should be minimal, because these tracks are just ported from world.

A yabuki-led wave race...... fuuck

It's still about the framing

"economical" says the aame thing whereas "low effort" undeniably implies lazy workers, and if it doesn't to you, it does to every person who tends to whine abour "lazy devs"
This rhetoric always surprises me. I feel very strongly that calling a product low-effort is an indictment of management, not the people who made it. I'll try to be more specific when I complain

I love how Takahashi just said: "You may see that game again. We have been trying to make many games and that may be one of them … I personally love Wave Race!" four fucking years ago and people are still bringing that up. No, nothing is happening. It's the same as the F-Zero question days ago, just generic you may see this again in the future. End

This rhetoric always surprises me. I feel very strongly that calling a product low-effort is an indictment of management, not the people who made it. I'll try to be more specific when I complain
That's fair. Also, to be even fairer, I acknowledge I'm describing my own interpretation of the terms, so it's not like I'm laying down the law or anything. I just find it irritating when we gamers, whose primary attribute as gamers is to... consume the products of creators... describe anything the actual creators (the devs) do as "lazy". Just gives me the impression that we're accusing them of not working hard enough for us. Lol.

I love how Takahashi just said: "You may see that game again. We have been trying to make many games and that may be one of them … I personally love Wave Race!" four fucking years ago and people are still bringing that up. No, nothing is happening. It's the same as the F-Zero question days ago, just generic you may see this again in the future. End
but... wave race...

A PlayStation portable would be a huge blow to Nintendo Switch, and anyone who believes otherwise isn't taking the threat that Sony poses seriously. If Nintendo is once again an enemy of PlayStation, it will not be victorious.

both of these are also threats.

I've been seeing a lot of ads for cloud gaming recently, and these services have been pitched similarly to the Switch: if you're playing on a portable screen, you can seamlessly switch to a TV.

The only area a "new" playstation portable might impact Nintendo is it may suck away some of the niche Japanese companies like Falcom who clearly want to only make games for Playstation and have had to be dragged kicking and screaming to making content for Switch to survive cause that's what the market dictated. That handful of companies would be thrilled at a Vita 2 Electric Boogaloo if it had the same kind of niche attach rate for software. Nobody outside of them and a handful of indies would seriously considering supporting another Sony handheld. I doubt even Sony would put much effort into supporting it as they've gone all in on top of the line graphics.

Steam Deck is only a threat in the eyes of delusional fanboys who just discovered the world of handheld pcs. It's a device for only the most hardcore of enthusiast, and is at minimum 12-18 months away from Valve even being able to entertain the idea of trying to do a mass market release. Even then as long as it does not get dedicated software there's gonna be a lot of people who won't find much value in it.

Streaming/Cloud gaming may end up being the future of gaming in 10-20 years when internet speeds across the world get really good anywhere you go. The problem is even in that scenario, Switch is already playing around with streaming/cloud games and wouldn't be left behind on that front. Even in the short term when you can stream XS/PS5/PC games to your phone or other such devices, you're limited to doing that in the home, which really doesn't compete with what Switch is doing. Even then it still doesn't replace the many families who own multiple Switch units for the 2-3 kids to each be able to play on one.

All of these are a threat in the same way that, technically, a man with a knife is a threat to a team of snipers in an open field. It's nothing that Nintendo needs to adjust whatever plans they have for the Switch successor. The only real threat to Nintendo and the Switch Successor is Nintendo if they do something incredibly stupid.

I don't want a new Mario Kart, make a Wave Race with Totaka as lead composer again

get T-SQUARE to record your Wave Race soundtrack Nintendo

please, Nintendo...

If we seriously get by end of the September without new game from EPD 9 or Tokyo announcement I may have start questioning the projects that were in development (for Tokyo it was 2D and 3D one), something may have just been cancelled.

What are you talking about
about the fact that „economical“ frames a decision as somehow good or smart, and you try to tell people they should use this word. Those decisions might even be smart, but the products ARE low-effort. Strikers for example had less content than its predecessor, and that’s NOT because of lazy devs or something, but because of the decision to go with few characters, few stages, few modes. I won’t call that „economical“ because I can’t applaud these decisions.

but... EPD 9... 5 fucking years ago. Them and EPD Tokyo are one of the greatest from whole EPD but somehow they just disappeared.
No Lukas. Don't turn to the Dark Side.

The projects of EPD 8 and 9 are well and alive. We gotta trust and believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom