• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

So if we speculate that Switch 2 will have a fan inbuilt to the dock, does that mean that they will have docked mode clocked higher than on Switch 1 and that is why they need a fan in the dock to cool down the system when its played in docked mode?

I mean this is probably a better comparison since it's both pokemon

Zangoose in a Gamecube game:
pokemon_xd__zook_s_shadow_zangoose_by_spartan22294_dck9o52-fullview.jpg

Zangoose in a Switch game:
maxresdefault.jpg
also not ideal, since the second is a prepared pokedex screen, not in game. But yeah, there was a step up, the problem is, its not a 15+ years step up for one of the biggest franchises there is.
I mean it's kinda obvious they will keep selling Switch 1 for the first 2 years of the next gen (and yes still release games on both consoles simultaneously!)

Who ever thought they would retire the Switch 1 on Switch 2 launch ?

First: there where theories that they would want a fast switch from 1 to 2 to make the whole production and distribution easier, same as sony did with the PS4->PS5 transition. (The Ps4 Pro was stopped, and was almost instantly when PS5 came out gone from stores).
Since backwards compatibility is a thing, there would from nintendos side be no reason if the new console is not that much more expensive to keep the whole switch family up and running.

But mostly: they had to push it back for a while. That means, they wont magically have more Switch 1 games in the pipeline, meaning if they planed for a 1-2 year transition period, and one of them is gone simply because of the delay, then they will only have games prepared for the rest (0-1 year).

They obviously can still sell the switch longer then they provide games... but its a big ask to keep the supply chain up and running for marginal sales.

Or do you think they can spin up a game production pipeline with a handfull of releases from zero to nothing to extend the cross gen time? I don't think so.

So if we speculate that Switch 2 will have a fan inbuilt to the dock, does that mean that they will have docked mode clocked higher than on Switch 1 and that is why they need a fan in the dock to cool down the system when its played in docked mode?
2 Fans could mean a better cooling system IN the switch (i don't think so), or in the dock... it doesn't necessary mean it gets warmer, having 2 fans running slower can just as well be there to reduce the stress on the internal fan for more longevity and less noise when docked.

I'm curious how easy would it be for outlets to find this data and to then corroborate with other sources. This is all looking promising but it'd be nice to have additional reporting to further cements some of those findings.

I'd imagine between now and the actual reveal there will be more and more stuff leaking out despite nintendo best efforts.

I'm a bit shocked by these parts news, specifically, that it's sounding like it's really just straight up a stronger Switch with no new gimmick or feature spin? Could there be something missing that is gonna add the "New Play Pattern Idea" to the machine?

two fans? is this new info?

I'm a bit shocked by these parts news, specifically, that it's sounding like it's really just straight up a stronger Switch with no new gimmick or feature spin? Could there be something missing that is gonna add the "New Play Pattern Idea" to the machine?
"Gimmick", if there is one, I imagine could be difficult to determine from the shipment data alone.

There's magnets but I doubt that would be pushed as a selling point, just a new feature.

The joycon has the addition of three new buttons and a large number of magnets that may also design new gimmicks.

I'm curious how easy would it be for outlets to find this data and to then corroborate with other sources. This is all looking promising but it'd be nice to have additional reporting to further cements some of those findings.

I'd imagine between now and the actual reveal there will be more and more stuff leaking out despite nintendo best efforts.

There's no game journalism out there any more that would go through this level of investigation. They will just report on rumors based in this topic.

Better chance we have for corroboration is that with that level of information out there, we might get more leaks or confirmation from other leakers that are trustworthy. But this would not happen instantly.

Overall you need to consider this is not a leak or rumor but a paper trail of things that are actually happening on the supply chain, so the information provided is undisputed. It will have 12 GB RAM, 256 GB memory, we have confirmation on CPU and GPU that matches the Nvidia breach, and we learned new information like the microphone. This is all actual components of the Switch Successor we have been made aware of, because there is and has to be actual confirmation in the shipping process between different countries. The paper trail can't lie.

We still have some variables that were detailed such as process node, how exactly the magnets would work, and some claims like the additional buttons or shape (not size) - mainly the claims form nspider and the Chinese blog that can't be fully verified as well as the screen size itself that is not in the customs data - but they all look way more realistic now with the information we've received and are very probable.

Overall we now have a very clear picture of Switch 2, which confirms most of our expectations. It's another hybrid, it has a quite modern feature set custom made for Nintendo and will have raw performance similar to PS4 Pro, but with a more modern architecture and DLSS, which will help to push above and enables current gen ports a lot more easily compared to last gen ports to Switch, which mainly struggled based in CPU and RAM bottlenecks.

It doesn't mean all future PS5 games can be ported, it doesn't mean even bad games will run without issues, because in the end you still need good developers with enough time and budget to make this happen. But it means Nintendo and nVidia did their parts to deliver a platform that is a worthy successor, that allows good to great third party support and that gives Nintendo's team quite an envelope to deliver next generation experiences compared to Switch 1 games.

And we haven't seen the full picture yet - we don't know details about backwards compatibility, we don't know much about OS and services, we don't really know about the additional buttons and their purpose (and if they really exist) and even most importantly, we don't know the price point, the product positioning and the lineup to make it a success.

To deliver, Nintendo needs to do much more than provide capable hardware that is economically relevant to support for third parties. But it looks like by playing it a bit safer than usual, this part they figured out.

The question now remains is - will they find a proposition so people want to spend around 500$ for this platform as well.

could mean it's 8nm clocked low in portable and needs a lot of cooling to reach required speeds when docked.

$500? I'm reasonably confident Nintendo wouldn't go over $399. Or were you using Canadian dollars? :)
You might want to buy a game or two as well if you buy a Switch 2, so the actual consumer spend on new hardware is higher, usually something like factor 1.4 for Nintendo. I considered that.

You might want to buy a game or two as well if you buy a Switch 2, so the actual consumer spend on new hardware is higher, usually something like factor 1.4 for Nintendo. I considered that.
Ah true. Thought that was referring to console price itself. I'd be surprised if Nintendo goes over $399 (don't think they would)

well, there is enough potential with say the magnets to have something fun and interesting. a new line of hardware gimicks that expand on the labo/ring idea but is more substantial could be a thing, using the magnets for force feedback if they are not connected to the switch (look at the triggers on PS5 controllers), maybe the gimmick is on the software side (some ai models on the console that provide games tracking information....brrr)
Overall you need to consider this is not a leak or rumor but a paper trail of things that are actually happening on the supply chain, so the information provided is undisputed. It will have 12 GB RAM, 256 GB memory, we have confirmation on CPU and GPU that matches the Nvidia breach, and we learned new information like the microphone. This is all actual components of the Switch Successor we have been made aware of, because there is and has to be actual confirmation in the shipping process between different countries. The paper trail can't lie.
(unrealistic) worst case scenario: the ram and storage is for dev kits, and the real ones will have 8GB and 128GB...
$500? I'm reasonably confident Nintendo wouldn't go over $399. Or were you using Canadian dollars? :)
if its all that was mentioned, then i would be impressed if they can manage that int an atractive well made case for <=400

well, there is enough potential with say the magnets to have something fun and interesting. a new line of hardware gimicks that expand on the labo/ring idea but is more substantial could be a thing, using the magnets for force feedback if they are not connected to the switch (look at the triggers on PS5 controllers), maybe the gimmick is on the software side (some ai models on the console that provide games tracking information....brrr)

(unrealistic) worst case scenario: the ram and storage is for dev kits, and the real ones will have 8GB and 128GB...

if its all that was mentioned, then i would be impressed if they can manage that int an atractive well made case for <=400
8nm, 8GB, 8 years

They already look better than any GC game

Uyewhip.jpeg
The game doesn't look thaaat bad emulated, specially so in the DLC.

I really hope they don't go back to the anime cell shading exclusively; I really like the material based texturing on the Pokémon.

Better texture resolution, good performance and better world geometry would do wonders to these games.

zL4bLcG.png
3JE5mhh.png
7CT5rt3.png

There's no game journalism out there any more that would go through this level of investigation. They will just report on rumors based in this topic.
This makes me really wonder if Gaming journalism is at the bottom of the totem pole of journalism. It seems like there's only one good journalist and that's Jason Schrier.
Eurogamer have Digital Foundry for their technical analysis. Places like IGN have a great value copy of digital Foundry and that's once in a blue moon. Kotaku seems to be notice more for their opinions more than their reviews. Which is cool, you can do that but what is something interesting about the games you can talk about. Although I do like their funny gaming clips.

GameInformer is a good one sometimes, they stay relevant with their interviews. I think the best form are certain youtubers. Did you know gaming is the best investigative gaming channel. They really check if rumors are true. They would find and translate missing interview from Japanese devs.

First: there where theories that they would want a fast switch from 1 to 2 to make the whole production and distribution easier, same as sony did with the PS4->PS5 transition. (The Ps4 Pro was stopped, and was almost instantly when PS5 came out gone from stores).
Since backwards compatibility is a thing, there would from nintendos side be no reason if the new console is not that much more expensive to keep the whole switch family up and running.

But mostly: they had to push it back for a while. That means, they wont magically have more Switch 1 games in the pipeline, meaning if they planed for a 1-2 year transition period, and one of them is gone simply because of the delay, then they will only have games prepared for the rest (0-1 year).

They obviously can still sell the switch longer then they provide games... but its a big ask to keep the supply chain up and running for marginal sales.

Or do you think they can spin up a game production pipeline with a handfull of releases from zero to nothing to extend the cross gen time? I don't think so.

You can't fast switch 150m of users, it will take some time and it's better like this

PS4 to PS5 transition wasn't a fast switch, like we had PS4 games till year 3 of PS5, not sure what you talking about

These specs aren't anything out of the ordinary. You get phones with these specs for the same price. And that's with the expensive stuff like modems and whatnot

The game doesn't look thaaat bad emulated, specially so in the DLC.

I really hope they don't go back to the anime cell shading exclusively; I really like the material based texturing on the Pokémon.

Better texture resolution, good performance and better world geometry would do wonders to these games.

zL4bLcG.png
3JE5mhh.png
7CT5rt3.png
Resolution and IQ isn't pokemon's problems, it's the lack of cohesive lighting. Can't fix that with emulation. When you bring up the raw models, it's crazy how much detail is lost because of the (lack of) lighting. No point in all those normal maps if there's nothing to use it with

This makes me really wonder if Gaming journalism is at the bottom of the totem pole of journalism. It seems like there's only one good journalist and that's Jason Schrier.
Eurogamer have Digital Foundry for their technical analysis. Places like IGN have a great value copy of digital Foundry and that's once in a blue moon. Kotaku seems to be notice more for their opinions more than their reviews. Which is cool, you can do that but what is something interesting about the games you can talk about. Although I do like their funny gaming clips.

GameInformer is a good one sometimes, they stay relevant with their interviews. I think the best form are certain youtubers. Did you know gaming is the best investigative gaming channel. They really check if rumors are true. They would find and translate missing interview from Japanese devs.

There's a couple of great newsletters out there from former gaming journalists, mainly opinion pieces or industry analytics. But the wider gaming journalism, so fully paid editorial teams, don't work out anymore in today's SEO driven online economy and overall low ad revenue. That's why gaming websites pivoted to guides and hints, while the audience goes to YouTube, Reddit and reviews on the platforms (Steam) to make their buying decisions.

Schreier can afford what he is doing because he is a household name and works for Bloomberg. Not many jobs like that....

The screenshot on the left represents nothing. It’s enough to turn on a random stream/video on twitch/youtube to see how awful Pokémon SW looks. In all honesty I’d choose Zelda graphics on the right
Honestly yeah. Scarlet/Violet look... okay in pictures, but in motion is when things fall apart and you see how bad it is. It's a shame because, like with any Pokemon game, the art team does their homework. Just wish the technical side of things better supported it.

pokemon-scarlet-violet-concept-art-looks-gorgeous-v0-5ei668osjvjb1.jpg

Far cry from the concept render. Should be alleviated somewhat by our good buddy Switch 2. :)

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
The removing magnet part is probably an anti-magnet or an antiferromagnet, a magnet with reversed direction. When placed near a magnet, they cancel each other out and thus the magnetic pull disappears. Maybe it works like Noise Cancelling headphones.

You can't fast switch 150m of users, it will take some time and it's better like this

PS4 to PS5 transition wasn't a fast switch, like we had PS4 games till year 3 of PS5, not sure what you talking about
wer not talking about switching existing customers, or shutting down services, what are you talking about.
were talking about removing switch 1 from sales. You can't remove switch 1 from the stores when switch 2 is way 450-500$.
But if Switch 2 was say 3-400$, then phasing the switch 1 out in months would be a good step for them, to be a ble to produce and distribute more switch2 models. Just as i mentioned...as sony did with the PS4 Pro. (and PS 4 shortly afterwards).

What im confident: at least 1 SKU is done for, probably even 2 from the start.
Lite stays for now, since its the cheapest. But the question is: keep the OG switch and have it be a "medium" option and the successor be the new premium, or remove the base, reduce the oleds price and be it a new medium.

I do expect some cross gen software releases, but i honestly expect most of them to be really small scale (outside of Pokemon Legends), and for it to not be supported to long. indies will support it longer, so nintendo will be able to claim "support" for years.

Hey, on the bright side, maybe Pokemon games would actually look better on Switch 2?
6 is though.

But lets be real, its 12.
I looked over recent shipment discussion - wondering what made us think it's 12GB, as opposed to say, 18GB? Just 12GB is more realistic scenario?

Edit: I realize with premium subscription to shipment data one can see number of units, I guess that's how they were able to tell it's 2x of. Makes sense.

Bringing back the discussion to hardware...

Earlier I asked whether a wifi/sattelite chip would fit in a JoyCon. What I was going for was thinking about how Streetpass could work without taking the entire console along, or is Streetpass basically replaced by the smartphone apps while being connected to your account?

Ah true. Thought that was referring to console price itself. I'd be surprised if Nintendo goes over $399 (don't think they would)
Also now that we know Nintendo is going for 12 GB RAM/ 256 GB storage instead of the higher possible 16 GB RAM/ 512 GB storage it means that we know more of the price point Nintendo is aiming for.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom