• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

This is why I'm leaning towards Nintendo just doing a next gen patch for MK8DX and announcing a second boost course pass. It's not like they are showing signs of abandoning Mario Kart Tour any time soon and part of the benefit of MK8DX DLC has been that it lets them make tracks to be used in both games and there's still 40+ tracks from previous games they can use for second DLC.
This'll be too much and I'd absolutely hate it. It's been dragging too long already since the Wii U. I don't want it dragging even more on Switch 2.

I think the next step for Mario Kart is adding some some of free roaming hub world aspect. Allow players to freely drive and race on tracks within hub worlds based on Nintendo franchises.

There's nothing Nintendo could do to hurt me more than saying "Here's Mario kart 8DX now in 4K!!!" and it being the only non mobile MK game we get all gen AGAIN. Same thing with smash bros the next game needs rollback or a better online experience or a tag mechanic pls Sakurai .

(Translation by DeepL Translator.)

I have made a small correction to this translation, mainly to avoid misunderstanding in the second sentence

It's orin agx, but it does not work due to incompatible the board
It is now just a "figure" for viewing only

Last edited:
I would expect some bigger 3rd party support in the launch window this time round seeing as they will now know how popular the hybrid console is. Question is what will we get?

Capcom: REmake 2 native port (3+4 to follow later)
Square: FF7 Remake?
EA: Mass Effect Legendary Edition, EA Sports Football
Warner: Batman Arkham Collection
Embracer Group: Tomb Raider Reboot Trilogy, Saints Row?
Gearbox: Borderlands 3

Reasonable I say.

Also:

Elden Ring
Street Fighter 6
Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Tales of Arise

Thats fair but I think you can't write off the fact that MK8D played a part in the switch becoming the success it is, we are also the longest we've been without a new original console mario kart game and as far as I know we have no idea what that core team is working on? It doesn't feel out of the question that it could be a vital part of the successor launch window.
Let's go over which games came in their launch year:

Super - no
64 - yes
Super Circuit - yes
Double Dash - no
DS - yes, except in Japan
Wii - no
7 - yes
8 - no
8 DX - yes

So it seems like handheld Mario Karts consistently came near launch, and console Mario Karts never did, with the exception of 64.

Reasonable I say.

Also:

Elden Ring
Street Fighter 6
Tales of Arise
I would be pleasently surprised if EA and Bandai Namco Studios increase support but I'm pretty doubtful about that.

I do think Team Ninja would give Switch 2 more support though.

IMO, and assuming BC, the next Mario Kart would have to come with an amazing new gimmick, or even a few of those, to be justifiable, when 8 Deluxe has a bunch of tracks, lots of characters and is already amazing. This isn't a story-driven single-player hit that people buy all instalments of, such as Zelda or Mario. Mario Kart 8 is already the go-to for new Switch owners. Some current owners may buy the new one but new owners won't buy the previous. I think Nintendo would be eating their own sales more than anything.

There are a lot of franchises that deserve new games. I'm still waiting for Star Fox to get a Breath of the Wild/Odyssey treatment. I consider we are currently very well served with Mario Kart.
I totally understand the idea that MK8 is considered a kind of "Mario Kart Ultimate". It reminds me of what Miyamoto said about F-Zero. It reminds me of what Sakurai said about Smash Bros.

The last 10 years have not always been easy for Nintendo, far from it, but since their transition to HD, they have published an impressive amount of titles that appear today as "ultimate achievements" of their respective series.

This is even true for single-player games to some extent: Tropical Freeze perfected Returns and is still an absolute reference of the modern 2D platformer almost 10 years after its initial release. Metroid Dread has perfected Samus Returns and looks like everything you could want from a modern Metroid game. Mario Maker 2 looks like the epitome of everything 2D Mario brought. Mario Odyssey literally seems to be thought of as a culmination and homage to the whole series, and even its music refers to that in some way. And you only have to read all the comments right now about TotK being so-called "DLC" to see how Breath Of The Wild can also be seen as difficult to renew.

All this just means that Nintendo has been extraordinarily innovative, creative, and talented in recent years. Maybe we don't see how Mario Kart can evolve, but these innovative, creative, and talented people are bound to have ideas. It's their job, and it's Nintendo's DNA, to set new standards and constantly improve. The next Mario Kart game will not only sell the next system, but it will also surprise us, the same way Nintendo has always been able to surprise us. It's the exact opposite of an annual iteration of Fifa. That being said, we need Star Fox back on the scene, yes!

If the window for hardware is tied to the next Mario Kart, I hope you're ready to wait until 2026 for new hardware, because that game is very likely not in development right now.
Not in development? Even if the whole team was tied to Tour till 2019 (which wasn't, as significant MK leads are missing from Tour patents). or was brought up to other project that's how EPD works. Booster Course Pass is not taking the whole team, and same for updating Tour. New Mario Kart is in development from at least 2019.

Not in development? Even if the whole team was tied to Tour till 2019 (which wasn't, as significant MK leads are missing from Tour patents). or was brought up to other project that's how EPD works. Booster Course Pass is not taking the whole team, and same for updating Tour. New Mario Kart is in development from at least 2019.
Is it?

Because that same team made ARMS.

So they might be working on ARMS2

Is it?

Because that same team made ARMS.

So they might be working on ARMS2
And they also made Nintendogs.

ARMS sold 2.6 mil. units which is great for a new IP and fightning game but for a team that had no problem selling much more copies on other titles, it's not really good either.

They could work on ARMS2, they could work on new IP but I very much doubt it for now. You want Mario Kart at least year 1 of the new console, something that actually moves units and is system seller, then at the later stages of the console life you can make new IP or other stuff. The "8 Deluxe + Booster Course Pass pack with 4K" or whatever does not really hold here.

There's a blueprint for a new Mario Kart without the need to make a braindead smash kart, and it's called Diddy Kong Racing.

10-12 characters, a kind of open world with a story, themed areas with different races, races with a specific mission/items, boss battles, and customizable karts for good measure. If we get lucky, a paid DLC down the line with a simple track editor as I don't think that Nintendo will ever make a real Mario Kart maker.

Also, the next Mario Kart should and will release quite close to the next console. With the sales profile of the series, releasing it as early as possible is the most profitable strategy and if there's one thing that Nintendo likes, it's profit.

Let's go over which games came in their launch year:

Super - no
64 - yes
Super Circuit - yes
Double Dash - no
DS - yes, except in Japan
Wii - no
7 - yes
8 - no
8 DX - yes

So it seems like handheld Mario Karts consistently came near launch, and console Mario Karts never did, with the exception of 64.
This comparison does not hold since you need to consider why is wasn't ready at year 1 or closer because the team was tied to different game(s)

MK Double Dash - Many people who worked on Double Dash also worked on Luigi's Mansion which shipped in 2001 (Double Dash was 2003) or other EAD projects like Zelda Wind Waker, Pikmin or Mario Sunshine.

MK Wii - Mario Kart DS released in 2005, there was no way they could make it appear that soon, that's why 2008 release. Even when some people who worked on MK DS haven't work on MK Wii so they went to work on different EAD projects and people who finished work on Twilight Princess (2006) then went to work on MK Wii. EPD staff is always fluent and there was no way they could have made MK Wii release way sooner than it did.

MK 8 - MK 7 shipped in 2011, it's even miracle we had great MK 8 as soon as 2014, 2 years into Wii U's life.

Last edited:
I have made a small correction to this translation, mainly to avoid misunderstanding in the second sentence

It's orin agx, but it does not work due to incompatible the board
It is now just a "figure" for viewing only
Thank you for the translation!

Anyway, this could confirm that the Orin ADAS SoC uses a binned AGX Orin SoC.
GTC2020_AutoRobotics_Presentation_5.jpg

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

If the window for hardware is tied to the next Mario Kart, I hope you're ready to wait until 2026 for new hardware, because that game is very likely not in development right now.
I know EPD tends to rotate and swap around from project to project, so I'm not sure if we're waiting that long for the next MK; one would assume that that series takes priority for an early system release (it doesn't have to be year 1). What makes you think MK isn't in development?

I probably should have mentioned that there wouldn't be a huge emphasis on guest characters, hence why I expect the next Smash to be a hard reboot.
Smash is never getting a hard reboot that cuts all the guest characters. Idk why people keep suggesting it when makes zero sense from any perspective.
Reasonable I say.

Also:

Elden Ring
Street Fighter 6
Tales of Arise
FFXV is pretty unlikely. More likely we get VII Remake or XVI when the timed exclusivity is over

Quoted by: D36
I think one thing a lot of people tend to gloss over when it comes to Nintendo's 2023 lineup debate is the fact that Nintendo intentionally front-loaded 80% of their games into the 1st half of this year minus Pikmin 4 which is in mid July aka might as well have been H1. If they were "short on software for this year/holiday season", why in the world would they dump every single game of theirs in the first 3-5 months?

Fire Emblem Engage (And every single one of its DLCs within 3 months)
Metroid Prime Remastered (A big flag as they could have easily held it to later this year instead of placing it dead squat within weeks of Fire Emblem and Kirby)
Kirby Return to Dreamland HD
Bayonetta Origins
Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp (Another game they could have left for later this year instead of squeezing it into a perfectly valid H1)
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
+
Octopath Traveler 2 for third party

All that leaves is:
Pikmin 4 in mid July
Baten Kaitos I + II HD (A small weight HD port release) in "summer" which could be June or July for all we know
Potential Xenoblade 3 stand alone expansion ala Torna the Golden Country (Big to me but small weight for sales)
Pokemon DLC
Splatoon Wave 2 DLC
The last of Mario Kart 8's DLC

Selling nothing but DLC and AA/small port releases for your H2 lineup is not a strategy we know Nintendo would be comfortable with, even if they did have MP4 lined up. You can't sell hardware on DLC of old games from previous years
Yeah the Metroid Prime Remastered shadow drop didn't need to happen in a direct. In fact, it may be the highest profile 1st party release done like that. The normal process would be to announce it at a direct then date it.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I don't know, it could be purely cosmetic changes and since manufacturing wouldn't begin until June or July for a November release, they could be still be tinkering with things. Even something like Joy Con ergonomics could be going through lots of revisions.

Smash is never getting a hard reboot that cuts all the guest characters. Idk why people keep suggesting it when makes zero sense from any perspective.

FFXV is pretty unlikely. More likely we get VII Remake or XVI when the timed exclusivity is over
Why does it make zero sense when you can bring back at least half of them in the future through DLC? It's not like it'll lose its appeal if they were all cut and we know how much of a hassle it was to bring some of them back for Ultimate.

On the subject of whether Nintendo's current release schedule (or lack thereof) is unprecedented, we can look at it from a data driven perspective. Specifically, Nintendo currently has four announced, but not yet released, titles for the Switch. Is that an unusually low number?

Because it's a Sunday and have nothing better to do, I've taken a list of physical Switch games published by Nintendo (specifically this one) and quickly tallied up the announcement date and release date of each one. I should stress that I wasn't thoroughly validating every date I used, it was mostly just "whatever Wikipedia says", so it's entirely possible that some dates are wrong, but being off by a few days here or there shouldn't really matter in this analysis.

Because of inevitable disagreements over what constitutes a "Nintendo game", I've broken the list up into two sets. The first one consists only of games published exclusively by Nintendo. This excludes games which are published by Nintendo only in some regions, and Pokemon games, which are co-published between Nintendo and Pokemon Co. The second set includes all games, including those published by Nintendo only in certain regions or co-published.

With the data, I can calculate, for a given date, how many titles have been announced, but not yet released. I've done this for the first day of every month since February 2017. Here's the table for the strict sub-set of games exclusively published by Nintendo:

Code:
        Jan    Feb    Mar    Apr    May    Jun    Jul    Aug    Sep    Oct    Nov    Dec
2017           8      8      6      5      5      7      6      6      7      6      4
2018    6      11     10     11     9      8      7      7      7      8      7      7
2019    7      6      9      9      8      8      8      7      6      11     9      9
2020    8      8      8      7      7      7      7      6      7      9      8      8
2021    8      6      11     11     10     8      9      8      8      9      7      7
2022    6      6      9      8      7      7      6      5      5      7      6      6
2023    7      6      5      4

As we can see there's some seasonality to it (unsurprisingly), and the start of April is usually the peak, although we're now entering April with the lowest number of unreleased Nintendo published titles we've ever been aware of. The number did hit 4 before, in December 2017, although quite a large number of games were announced in the following January. With Advance Wars releasing this month, and ToTK releasing in May, the number is due to hit 2 by the start of June, unless Nintendo announces any new titles in April or May (which historically they don't typically do).

The table for games which Nintendo has had any involvement in publishing is below. I'd argue that this is the more relevant one, as although Nintendo doesn't unilaterally choose when to announce or release these games, they are involved in the process, and they're titles that Nintendo makes space for both in their announcement and release schedule. This includes Pokemon games, Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors games, and games like SMT:V and Octopath Traveller.

Code:
        Jan    Feb    Mar    Apr    May    Jun    Jul    Aug    Sep    Oct    Nov    Dec
2017           12     12     10     9      9      14     13     13     13     12     10
2018    12     18     16     17     15     17     18     16     16     16     15     13
2019    11     10     13     14     13     13     12     11     10     13     11     10
2020    10     10     10     9      9      9      9      8      9      13     12     11
2021    10     8      15     15     14     12     14     13     13     14     12     10
2022    9      8      14     12     11     11     9      7      7      9      7      6
2023    7      6      5      4

The drop off here is even more stark. There are currently only a third as many announced titles as there were at the same time last year, and less than half as many as even the quietest period of 2020. Again, this number is due to drop to 2 titles by the start of June, unless Nintendo announce any new titles in the meantime.

So, is this unprecedented? I'd argue so. Even if we want to be strict about what we count as Nintendo-published games, we currently know about fewer games in April 2023 than we have at the same time in any previous year, by a good margin. If we also include games which Nintendo wasn't the sole published for, the drop off is more dramatic, down by two thirds year on year and down by more than half compared to the pandemic-influenced drop in 2020.

Can Nintendo announce their 2H23 games in June? Absolutely, and they've typically announced several games each June for release the same year. If they wait until June, though, they will be going into the month with only two unreleased games on their roster. One releasing the following month, and another that Nintendo has barely mentioned since rebooting development over four years ago. That would absolutely be unprecedented.

Incidentally, as a point of comparison, at the start of April 2016, when Wii U was on its last legs prior to the announcement of the Switch, Nintendo had exactly four games announced for the Wii U as well, plus a much larger number for the 3DS. In terms of announced titles, we probably have less insight now into what Nintendo's working on than at any point since perhaps the NES.

Can Nintendo announce their 2H23 games in June? Absolutely, and they've typically announced several games each June for release the same year. If they wait until June, though, they will be going into the month with only two unreleased games on their roster. One releasing the following month, and another that Nintendo has barely mentioned since rebooting development over four years ago. That would absolutely be unprecedented.
The only way to get through this is to announce an inexpensive download-only game like Kirby's Dream Buffet and release it immediately.

I think if Nintendo had an announcement in June, they may not have pulled out of E3 (pure speculation), but whatever it is, it's fair to say they want to announce H2 stuff on their own terms, so I assume it will not overlap with the oriignal E3 dates (before it got canned) in early June and at minimum we'll get a direct later in June or early July, and it could be an announcement of an announcemnt with regards to Switch 2 stuff, if it's coming before FY end.

That said, I suspect by June, we'd have more data on if Switch 2 is arriving just based on their projections for next FY

Last edited:
There's nothing Nintendo could do to hurt me more than saying "Here's Mario kart 8DX now in 4K!!!" and it being the only non mobile MK game we get all gen AGAIN. Same thing with smash bros the next game needs rollback or a better online experience or a tag mechanic pls Sakurai .
Nintendo likes making money so another non-port of MK/Smash is more then likely.
Why does it make zero sense when you can bring back at least half of them in the future through DLC? It's not like it'll lose its appeal if they were all cut and we know how much of a hassle it was to bring some of them back for Ultimate.
There are pros & cons to each option Smash could take for the next entry. Ultimately I think the best option is as a long term gaas, but I don’t know if they have the dedicated team yet for that or if they ever will.

Another thing with the emptier H2 - Nintendo hasn’t had a bigger game releasing than in TotK. In announcing Pikmin 4, they may have wanted to let us know there is something coming after it, but they may just want all focus to be on TotK for the time being, and for the following weeks. A month after it comes out and everyone is still excited from the spectacle of it, you lay out your 2nd half games to keep the newly excited user base… well, still excited.

Last edited:
Another thing with the emptier H2 - Nintendo hasn’t had a bigger game releasing than in TotK. With Pikmin 4, they may have wanted to let us know there is something coming after it, but they may just want all focus on TotK for the time being, and for the following weeks. A month after it comes out and everyone is still excited from the spectacle or, you lay out your 2nd half games to keep the newly excited user base… well, still excited.
I don't think that would have taken away focus from TotK at all; being a sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time means it can clearly stand on its own.

I don't think that would have taken away focus from TotK at all; being a sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time means it can clearly stand on its own.
Of course it can stand on its own, but it would take away any conversation from other titles. So with that in mind, why announce anything? Just keep everything close to your chest until after it’s out.

You know, I made a joke a while back that Nintendo was going to announce drake less than two weeks after the folks pre ordering the Zelda OLED get their consoles, I'm starting to think this is the reality.

Another thing with the emptier H2 - Nintendo hasn’t had a bigger game releasing than in TotK. In announcing Pikmin 4, they may have wanted to let us know there is something coming after it, but they may just want all focus to be on TotK for the time being, and for the following weeks. A month after it comes out and everyone is still excited from the spectacle of it, you lay out your 2nd half games to keep the newly excited user base… well, still excited.
Understatement of the year. The H2 isn't merely emptier, it's completely empty. Totk is a huge release and they would clear space for it, but not 6 months of space. And nothing was stopping them from announcing and dating a game for later in the year or next year. Like Splat 3 which didn't release until 2022 was announced in 2021 spring direct and Nintendo still had a full slate for 2021, there was no concern it would crowd out interest for the releases that year.

Understatement of the year. The H2 isn't merely emptier, it's completely empty. Totk is a huge release and they would clear space for it, but not 6 months of space. And nothing was stopping them from announcing and dating a game for later in the year or next year. Like Splat 3 which didn't release until 2022 was announced in 2021 spring direct and Nintendo still had a full slate for 2021, there was no concern it would crowd out interest for the releases that year.
But they needed to announce Splatoon 3 just to hire people for it, either way, their H2 titles were announced at June that E3.

I would be pleasently surprised if EA and Bandai Namco Studios increase support but I'm pretty doubtful about that.

I do think Team Ninja would give Switch 2 more support though.
I think completely opposite of this. Koei Tecmo support will slow down, while we'll get more from Namco & EA. Kotec will continue do what they've been doing with Switch: More Atelier and musou games. I doubt we'll ever get Wo Long or Wild Hearts as Switch didn't get Toukiden at all.

EA... depends on individual studios. But Respawn + Panic Button is such a good match, we will see more from that co-operation. My guess is Jedi Fallen Order miracle port for base Switch and Jedi Survivor for the successor. I expect EA to bring Skate and Dead Space to Switch.

For Namco, it might be too late for 3 of the 4 Namco originals (Tekken 7, SC6, Ace Combat 8) but that recent Tales of Arise trademark suggest that ToA might head to Switch rather than the successor. Don't forget, namco late ports sometimes take longer than 2 years. Successor should get Tekken 8 and the next Tales game.
I don't think there's a deeper meaning for the empty latter half of the year. They'll just treat Level-5 games as if they're first party games and push them as such. Fantasy Life has so much potential to be a massive seller. Maybe some Mario spinoffs and Zelda ports to support that.

Of course it can stand on its own, but it would take away any conversation from other titles. So with that in mind, why announce anything? Just keep everything close to your chest until after it’s out.
Why does that matter when TotK comes out first anyway? Especially if they come out after July?

But they needed to announce Splatoon 3 just to hire people for it, either way, their H2 titles were announced at June that E3.
Was that the actual rationale or fan speculation?. I looked at their direct and they also announced Triangle Strategy (March 2022)
That same month Pokemon Legends Arceus was announced at a Pokemen Present, for release in Jan of 2022.

So they and TPC announced three 2022 titles as early as Feb 2021. That's unusual of course, but shows the vast difference in software not shown this year.

2H2021 wasn't nearly as empty as this year, though.
In what exactly? If you exclude Pokemon, which is almost always announced due to Pokemon Day, everything else published by Nintendo as in Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars and Wario Ware were first shown at E3.

In what exactly? If you exclude Pokemon, which is almost always announced due to Pokemon Day, everything else published by Nintendo as in Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars and Wario Ware were first shown at E3.
I'm talking about games in general. There is still a staggering lack of first and third-party games for the latter half of this year as opposed to 2021, that is not normal, no matter how you slice it. I don't know what Nintendo is cooking, but it smells fishy, nonetheless.

I strongly doubt Mario Kart 8 Deluxe again will be Drake's sole Mario Kart, but realistically, that's all we're likely to get near launch.
I think if Nintendo had an announcement in June, they may not have pulled out of E3 (pure speculation), but whatever it is, it's fair to say they want to announce H2 stuff on their own terms, so I assume it will not overlap with the oriignal E3 dates (before it got canned) in early June and at minimum we'll get a direct later in June or early July, and it could be an announcement of an announcemnt with regards to Switch 2 stuff, if it's coming before FY end.

That said, I suspect by June, we'd have more data on if Switch 2 is arriving just based on their projections for next FY
Why not assume Nintendo is pulling out of E3 for the same reason everyone else is?

Was that the actual rationale or fan speculation?.

The hiring was published the same day the game was announced.

I looked at their direct and they also announced Triangle Strategy (March 2022)
That same month Pokemon Legends Arceus was announced at a Pokemen Present, for release in Jan of 2022.

So they and TPC announced three 2022 titles as early as Feb 2021. That's unusual of course, but shows the vast difference in software not shown this year.
Agree with this part, and this situation is different as they have no announced titles for next year, it's of course due to new hardware coming soon but they can easily drop one EPD release in October/November and something smaller around that time and they would be completely fine since their big TotK launch will be already out in May. New hardware can easily come in Q1 2024. If we come by mid June with no H2 titles announced, then yes new hardware is coming this year.

I'm talking about games in general. There is still a staggering lack of first and third-party games for the latter half of this year as opposed to 2021, that is not normal, no matter how you slice it. I don't know what Nintendo is cooking, but it smells fishy, nonetheless.

To me, the lack of third party game announcements is actually more telling than Nintendo not having announced yet Mario 2D and whatever remaster they intend to release for the holidays.
Mind you, I still believe that the console will release in 2024, but having the end of this year so barren of announcements including from people who have no reason to follow Nintendo in a strange marketing strategy makes me believe that something could be brewing.
As always, there could be other explanations to what we're seeing here; and hindsight will be 100% with each of us claiming that we were right.

Why does that matter when TotK comes out first anyway? Especially if they come out after July?
I believe the sentiment is that TotK would take attention away from 2nd half titles if they were announced in this ramp up, not the other way around

Quoted by: D36
I believe the sentiment is that TotK would take attention away from 2nd half titles if they were announced in this ramp up, not the other way around
That still doesn't matter, as they would release after TotK and would get more coverage later.

Yeah this makes really no sense, especially in this "uncharted territory".
If they want to push the Switch further than the usual lifecycle, you'd think there would be a special marketing effort to oversell the remaining games and fill the schedule.

They may have a special plan for the end of the year around one last big game, but in that the case they'll have to make a lot of noise in June/July to push the Switch as far as they can and minimize the perceived obsolescence of their hardware.

The good news for me is that we'll find out this summer what's up.
1 big first-party announcement => they had actually a plan (and a will) to extend the life cycle, Switch 2 probably in H2 2024.
Nothing specific => no plan whatsoever, they were just not ready yet. H1 2024.
Switch 2 announcement => release at the end of 2023.

Last edited:
So, is this unprecedented? I'd argue so. Even if we want to be strict about what we count as Nintendo-published games, we currently know about fewer games in April 2023 than we have at the same time in any previous year, by a good margin. If we also include games which Nintendo wasn't the sole published for, the drop off is more dramatic, down by two thirds year on year and down by more than half compared to the pandemic-influenced drop in 2020.
Thanks for doing this. I actually think this understates the case. If you look at the latest release dates in these sections, you also see how incredibly tight the timelines are getting.

Like I mentioned, imo I believe this scenario you're laying out be tied up in Metroid Prime 4 and the pressure to nail that one. If that's releasing this fall I imagine they aren't releasing it alongside another major 1st party title. Metroid is more popular than ever right now and if there was ever a chance for it to be huge it's here.

I think that is reasonable-ish interpretation of the data.

Apologies for the hypotheticals, but I think its misguided to act as if an empty H2 is truly empty

Hypotheticals are great! Its the hypotheticals thread! No one is acting as if H2 is truly empty. Folks are asking "why, in the 7th year of a console's life, with no successor announced, is Nintendo not saying how long they intend to support the Switch for?"

Your answer is "Because Metroid Prime 4, an announced but undated game, is the fall tentpole, and after a massive delay, Nintendo doesn't want to fuck it up. Prime Remastered has laid the foundation, and we've heard rumors of Prime 4's release'. I think that's a sane possibility.

Other have this answer: "Because Nintendo is going to launch a successor, and that will be their tentpole in fall. The SOC has been leaked and appears complete, several factory leakers who have been proven valid in the past have been banned, and the Pokemon leak is still holding up."

Both of these answers take something we know is happening (Prime 4/REDACTED) and some relevant smoke (factory rumors/Prime remastered) and spin it up into a theory that explains the blank space on the calendar.

I think both of these answers also require a leap. Either that Nintendo would market hardware with a very short marketing cycle, or that Nintendo would rather make it look like they're stumbling on Switch support in its 7th year than announce Prime 4 prematurely.

For my part, I am not going to express my thoughts on when I think REDACTED will launch, and I will say my personal thoughts don't line up exactly with anyone else's here. So I'm not trying to change your mind.

What I will say is that companies talk out of the side of their mouths about platform support all the time, and 3rd parties/distributors/retailers all know it. Software announcements are the platform holders putting their money where their mouth is. Right now, Nintendo's mouth is saying "uncharted territory" and their software release schedule is, in fact, doubling down on that idea. That's a scary place to be in year 7 with no successor on the horizon

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom