• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Those Pokemon Scarlet/Violet reviews are a big YIKES. Performance and visuals look atrocious. Come on Nintendo, people want new hardware. This is reaching pathetic level now (Pokemon company also gets some of the blame). :(

When does this shit become unacceptable?

tIu5FR2l.png

What does new hardware have to do with issues like characters' teeth clipping through their face? A Drake boost mode would not fix the other technical problem the game has.

Performance across the spectrum on Switch games are BAD. Pokemon is just the latest example. Besides as listed in my post, Pokemon Company is absolutely also to be blamed for poor visuals, severe bugs and glitches, etc. They could absolutely do better on Switch hardware but not by much.

"Significant"
"quite some time"

I mean, if Nintendo wanted to kill the Switch momentum, this would be an effective way of doing it. Of course, this would have to be actually true too.

So not only are we likely not getting new hardware in 2023 but it's going to be a super lackluster year for new Nintendo games? Awful. :/

Performance across the spectrum on Switch games are BAD. Pokemon is just the latest example. Besides as listed in my post, Pokemon Company is absolutely also to be blamed for poor visuals, severe bugs and glitches, etc. They could absolutely do better on Switch hardware but not by much.

Pretty much.

I think it might even be likely for the docked power consumption to be much higher than the previous generation, I think 30W is possible. The Dock with LAN Port supports power outputs up to 39W, which no Switch system has used yet. I still believe the Dock with LAN Port is the dock that the new system will use; and I don't think it'll even change power brick. 39W output, 4K60 support, better ventilation than the previous dock, it has everything it really needs. It could perhaps even support fast charging with the same brick.
This is a One Weird Fact(tm) that gets lost in the discussion sometimes, when the new dock gets brought up. The 39W power output is kinda sorta a lie.

Nintendo uses off the shelf components to built the dock. They upgraded some of those components. Those components now allow disabling the USB ports in order to pass all power over to the Switch. Legally, this requires changing the power rating on the device in most countries.

It is highly unlikely that Nintendo intends to 1) reuse the Dock with Lan port 2) not allow USB peripherals with Drake. If Drake uses that level of power, it probably will not reuse the dock, and if it reuses the OLED dock, it will not draw that level of power. That is putting aside the decent chance that 30+ Watts would require active cooling in the dock, not just additional ventilation. The tiny little fan that is possible in a switch formf actor can't dissipate that much heat

A bigger question is where in the hell would you put that additional wattage? You still have to run a handheld mode, and you want to keep CPU clocks the same at both modes, and the absolute tip-top-barber-shop power draw I can imagine for handheld mode is 12W. That means you need to spend an extra 18W on GPU clock speeds alone.

We can use the Nvidia power estimator for Orin to make reasonable estimates about power consumption for Drake. The difference between the Orin GPU at low load and the lowest supported clock, and high load on the highest supported clock is just 14.5W. There isn't anyplace to put 30W of docked power.

So not only are we likely not getting new hardware in 2023 but it's going to be a super lackluster year for new Nintendo games? Awful. :/
This sure does contradict with what this place was saying last time I was in this thread haha.

I think we'd all just be better served to wait until the first couple months of next year before believing or making broad assertions about what Nintendo may or may not be doing.

People are still so stuck in the upgrade vs new console mentality.

Even after both current gen consoles more or less has had a 2 year cross gen period.
I think when people think of Nintendo's next-gen console, people think of Nintendo pivoting away from the Nintendo Switch branding, which I think is a very flawed assumption to make, especially when taking into consideration the Game Boy Advance.

Those Pokemon Scarlet/Violet reviews are a big YIKES. Performance and visuals look atrocious. Come on Nintendo, people want new hardware. This is reaching pathetic level now (Pokemon company also gets some of the blame). :(

tIu5FR2l.png

Dang, really hoped they'd sort out the performance issues by release, and wasn't expecting bugs like this to be honest. Despite the criticisms Sword/Shield and Legends Arceus get, they're pretty stable games. This is... well, it's not looking particularly stable at least visually.

Won't bother me too heavily as I actually kind of like playing buggy games, within reason at least (is that weird?). Going to try and avoid watching too much more about the game as I am still excited for it.

Hopefully they get some patches out soon. Also, hey Nintendo, Drake please.

Don't want to post every tweet by this guy (and like I tried to sarcastically imply, I'm skeptical anyway), but he does elaborate in his mentions. Seems he is on the 'Switch 2 is not Drake' side of things (though there are other possibilities too).

I'm surprised that the first party thread hasn't picked this up

if post-Zelda really is a lull then I'll be wondering what the fuck happened to Tokyo
Picked up on what? The dumb speculation of somebody who has no basis for anything they're saying? You know Nintendo doesn't go around telling third parties about their plans (or lack of plans) for any unannounced games, right... Right???

Picked up on what? The dumb speculation of somebody who has no basis for anything they're saying? You know Nintendo doesn't go around telling third parties about their plans (or lack of plans) for any unannounced games, right... Right???
believe me, I'm not taking it as fact, but he does at least assert that it's based on industry coordination

...but if they were making a super switch why would they tell anyone

is it dumb speculation if he has sources though?

I'm surprised that the first party thread hasn't picked this up

if post-Zelda really is a lull then I'll be wondering what the fuck happened to Tokyo
Yeah, I’d be really surprised if we hear nothing from Nintendos larger-scale EPD projects besides Zelda in 2023. Its just SO long since Odyssey, MM2 etc

believe me, I'm not taking it as fact, but he does at least assert that it's based on industry coordination

and those things still don't actually say if anything or nothing is coming. marketing is still the last to know unless you're on the top of the list

Everything he's saying is a load of crap. "Things get booked up" is his reason for why anyone would know Nintendo's plans (for game releases mind you, he's not even talking about hardware here) half a year or more in advance? "Conversations happen?" As in, Nintendo goes around telling a bunch of people when to expect major game releases for a whole year? No, they don't, actually. Give me a fucking break.

is it dumb speculation if he has sources though?
He doesn't. He is bullshitting. You can tell because the things he's saying are obviously nonsense, and he's offering laughable justifications when called out on the obvious fact that nobody would even have access to this information in the first place.

Hey after Zelda there is Pikmin 4.

I think a combination of Zelda TOTK, Pikmin 4, remasters/remake like Metroid Prime/F-Zero/Kid Icarus and titles aiming for casual audience like Tomadochi Life can still be a good year.

And don’t forget paid DLC for MK8 DX, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, Pokémon S/V.

2023 will be 2020 part 2 (?).

And next HW releasing March 2024 with a new 3D Mario, Monolith, NLG, Prime 4, etc

Last edited:
This is a One Weird Fact(tm) that gets lost in the discussion sometimes, when the new dock gets brought up. The 39W power output is kinda sorta a lie.

Nintendo uses off the shelf components to built the dock. They upgraded some of those components. Those components now allow disabling the USB ports in order to pass all power over to the Switch. Legally, this requires changing the power rating on the device in most countries.

It is highly unlikely that Nintendo intends to 1) reuse the Dock with Lan port 2) not allow USB peripherals with Drake. If Drake uses that level of power, it probably will not reuse the dock, and if it reuses the OLED dock, it will not draw that level of power. That is putting aside the decent chance that 30+ Watts would require active cooling in the dock, not just additional ventilation. The tiny little fan that is possible in a switch formf actor can't dissipate that much heat

A bigger question is where in the hell would you put that additional wattage? You still have to run a handheld mode, and you want to keep CPU clocks the same at both modes, and the absolute tip-top-barber-shop power draw I can imagine for handheld mode is 12W. That means you need to spend an extra 18W on GPU clock speeds alone.

We can use the Nvidia power estimator for Orin to make reasonable estimates about power consumption for Drake. The difference between the Orin GPU at low load and the lowest supported clock, and high load on the highest supported clock is just 14.5W. There isn't anyplace to put 30W of docked power.
Highly unlikely that they'll reuse the dock?

Come on now, there's been plenty of reasons to believe that they could reuse it, you can't just say it's unlikely without backing. It's not a matter of fact.

Nor did I say 30W was the only option- but that increased power draw seems possible, and to me, seems even likely. Furthermore, 14.5W... fits within 30W! That doesn't disprove it, it means that it's technically possible, if unlikely.

And last the USB ports WOULDN'T be starved at 30W, because the maximum output is 39W. Calling the fact that the new Dock has the ability to provide the console with far more power in any sense a "lie", is, well, lying. Though I suppose that depends on whether this "power passthrough" mode depends entirely on severing all power to USB A ports- which even then, could leave room for the use of this power profile for fast charging.

There's little reason for them to overbuild a dock, to change the design in ways that don't make it cheaper, to improve its ventilation and power delivery capabilities. Sure this could be just "off the shelf" coming into play, but if these are the components available, why wouldn't they have changed the base model to come with this new Dock if the parts are easier to source? Why introduce a new Dock at all that is only going to be relevant for 18 months, if H1 2023 comes to pass and the new system REQUIRES its own new Dock?

DSi to New 3DS, Nintendo reused the same power brick because they didn't NEED a new one. Why would the next Switch NEED a new Dock?

and those things still don't actually say if anything or nothing is coming. marketing is still the last to know unless you're on the top of the list
Yeah, honestly? I'm taking this and running with it.

His information includes two things:

It's time for an upgrade.

There is no marketing being done for anything after Zelda.

This to me implies, HEAVILY, that 2023 H2 is being kept under wraps, which in turn, implies to me that it's like that to avoid revealing a precious cornerstone of 2023 marketing.

I believe that cornerstone to be the next Switch, with reveals and marketing, even briefs, for games after May held back until the next Switch is revealed.

Yeah, honestly? I'm taking this and running with it.

His information includes two things:

It's time for an upgrade.

There is no marketing being done for anything after Zelda.

This to me implies, HEAVILY, that 2023 H2 is being kept under wraps, which in turn, implies to me that it's like that to avoid revealing a precious cornerstone of 2023 marketing.

I believe that cornerstone to be the next Switch, with reveals and marketing, even briefs, for games after May held back until the next Switch is revealed.
I like the way you think

a little uno reverse card if you will

There’s a scenario where Nintendo waits so long to release their next hardware that it isn’t actually as powerful or impactful anymore as it would have been in 2022 or 2023. If we’re talking 2024 and it’s drake then it won’t be as impressive as it would be right now. We’ll probably have a new SteamDeck by that point.

I’d also be concerned that Nintendo is going overlong with Switch as they did with the Wii. They launched Wii U when Wii sales had completely dropped off and momentum had been lost. It’s would be crazy if they made that same mistake again.

Re: Nintendo's 2023
They have boatloads of DLC due, from Mario Kart, Xenoblade major expansion, Splatoon major expansion, presumably the same for Pokémon(? I haven't kept up to date), maybe Fire Emblem too. Zelda's main DLC might be 2024 bound I guess.
I expect at least one of those would get a retail release (Xenoblade) and maybe more

Last edited:
Brand New Switch
Zelda TOTK
Splatoon 3 Expansion
Xeno 3 Expansion
Pokemon Expansion
Mario Kart DLC
Switch Sports DLC
Advance Wars 1+2
Metroid Prime Remake
Fire Emblem Remake
Pikmin 4
Donkey Kong Next
Switch games now in 4K
3rd Parties now on Switch

That should be more than enough to keep momentum up next year.

Brand New Switch
Zelda TOTK
Splatoon 3 Expansion
Xeno 3 Expansion
Pokemon Expansion
Mario Kart DLC
Switch Sports DLC
Advance Wars 1+2
Metroid Prime Remake
Fire Emblem Remake
Pikmin 4
Donkey Kong Next
Switch games now in 4K

The whole reason we’re talking a loss of momentum is if there’s a scenario where there is no new Switch. Keep up man.

There’s a scenario where Nintendo waits so long to release their next hardware that it isn’t actually as powerful or impactful anymore as it would have been in 2022 or 2023. If we’re talking 2024 and it’s drake then it won’t be as impressive as it would be right now. We’ll probably have a new SteamDeck by that point.

I’d also be concerned that Nintendo is going overlong with Switch as they did with the Wii. They launched Wii U when Wii sales had completely dropped off and momentum had been lost. It’s would be crazy if they made that same mistake again.
I'm going to try and dispel some negativity with some facts... And then some speculation.

Fact: Nintendo's wording has changed, previously stating they are not launching a new system in a given fiscal year, they have now begun referring to the next generation console as simply being "not ready" to be talked about yet.
Speculation: This implies to me that this device is set for a reveal this fiscal year, or they would not have reason to change their wording.

Fact: The Nvidia leak is real, regardless of moral implications, and so we know with some confidence about the core count and memory configuration of the new device, and from which we can extrapolate minimum clocks.
(Credit to Oldpuck for working it out to be around 1TF minimum before the new chip becomes inefficient.)

Fact: Nintendo has patented and refreshed patents around AI upscaling using Nvidia tensor cores.
Speculation: This means that the next system will probably use Tensor cores, and there is the fact that Nintendo Switch patents came out shortly before release, implying this device is closer than some think.

Fact: Nintendo released a system update for Nintendo Switch which includes mentions of 4K, a new type of patch called a DataPatch, and a new I/O function.
Speculation: None of these appear to be for the existing Nintendo Switch system and thus imply a new system.

Fact: Nvidia has merged support for the chip we know from the leak supports NVN2 upstream into the Linux kernel.
Speculation: it is likely that this means the chip is in production.

Fact: A factory leaker accurately predicted the reveal date of the Splatoon 3 OLED Model, and stated that two OLED Model special editions were planned for this year, which came to pass. They also mentioned a new backplate for a different Nintendo Switch which we have seen nothing official for.
Speculation: this backplate is for the Drake Switch as there is little other explanation. This would imply the device was in fabrication pre-assembly in summer 2022.

Fact: Insiders have claimed late 2022 to early 2023 for a long while, and were correct about many details of the original Switch. Based on this and their general unity on this timeframe I see no reason not to believe them.

Fact: Someone who claims to have industry connections claims that it is time for an upgrade, and that there has been little or no noise around games coming out after Tears of the Kingdom.

Fact: Nintendo has stated they wish to avoid the fiasco of the move from Wii to Wii U.
Speculation: This means they don't want to let Switch die off before the next console arrives.

Combining these, I speculate:
This device is in manufacturing, the chip's first fabrication run has likely started, and assembly must begin soon or has already begun. This would line up for a launch in H1 2023, and given their history and the existence of Golden Week and American Tax season spending, as well as the drop off in consumer spending during summer months, I believe this points to a March or April launch with a January or February reveal. There has been nothing with the veracity or volume of things pointing to H1 2023 that suggests any later. Some of these, such as mentions by someone with connections in marketing, may in fact point to the device launching as more likely rather than less.

For these reasons I still think a H1 2023 release is more likely than any other timeframe, with March or April being the most likely.

Last edited:
I still think a Premium member of Switch family with more power launching in May with Zelda makes the most sense. Zelda is the best property to push new hardware with the core gamer. Next Switch launching in 2024 would not have a Zelda ready for 3-5 years if that is the case.

I'm going to try and dispel some negativity with some facts... And then some speculation.

Fact: Nintendo's wording has changed, previously stating they are not launching a new system in a given fiscal year, they have now begun referring to the next generation console as simply being "not ready" to be talked about yet.
Speculation: This implies to me that this device is set for a reveal this fiscal year, or they would not have reason to change their wording.

Fact: The Nvidia leak is real, regardless of moral implications, and so we know with some confidence about the core count and memory configuration of the new device, and from which we can extrapolate minimum clocks.
(Credit to oldpuck for working it out to be around 1TF minimum before the new chip becomes inefficient.)

Fact: Nintendo has patented and refreshed parents around AI upscaling using Nvidia tensor cores.
Speculation: This means that the next system will probably use Tensor cores, and there is the fact that Nintendo Switch parents came out shortly before release, implying this device is closer than some think.

Fact: Nintendo released a system update for Nintendo Switch which includes mentions of 4K, a new type of patch called a DataPatch, and a new I/O function.
Speculation: None of these appear to be for the existing Nintendo Switch system and thus imply a new system.

Fact: Nvidia has merged support for the chip we know from the leak supports NVN2 upstream into the Linux kernel.
Speculation: it is likely that this means the chip is in production.

Fact: A factory leaker accurately predicted the reveal date of the Splatoon 3 OLED Model, and stated that two OLED Model special editions were planned for this year, which came to pass. They also mentioned a new backplate for a different Nintendo Switch which we have seen nothing official for.
Speculation: this backplate is for the Drake Switch as there is little other explanation. This would imply the device was in fabrication pre-assembly in summer 2022.

Fact: Insiders have claimed late 2022 to early 2023 for a long while, and were correct about many details of the original Switch. Based on this and their general unity on this timeframe I see no reason not to believe them.

Fact: Someone who claims to have industry connections claims that it is time for an upgrade, and that there has been little or no noise around games coming out after Tears of the Kingdom.

Fact: Nintendo has stated they wish to avoid the fiasco of the move from Wii to Wii U.
Speculation: This means they don't want to let Switch die off before the next console arrives.

Combining these, I speculate:
This device is in manufacturing, the chip's first fabrication run has likely started, and assembly must begin soon or has already begun. This would line up for a launch in H1 2023, and given their history and the existence of Golden Week and American Tax season spending, as well as the drop off in consumer spending during summer months, I believe this points to a March or April launch with a January or February reveal. There has been nothing with the veracity or volume of things pointing to H1 2023 that suggests any later. Some of these, such as mentions by someone with connections in marketing, may in fact point to the device launching as more likely rather than less.

For these reasons I still think a H1 2023 release is more likely than any other timeframe, with March or April being the most likely.

My comments are based purely on an insider saying that apart from Zelda, 2023 will be a quiet year for Nintendo. I then discussed the situation based on that scenario.

Brand New Switch
Zelda TOTK
Splatoon 3 Expansion
Xeno 3 Expansion
Pokemon Expansion
Mario Kart DLC
Switch Sports DLC
Advance Wars 1+2
Metroid Prime Remake
Fire Emblem Remake
Pikmin 4
Donkey Kong Next
Switch games now in 4K

That would be a great year, but most of these are either DLC, not confirmed or even rumored.

Valve can release a new Steam Deck every two years if they want, Nintendo can't do much about that but it's not like it matters unless it genuinely goes mainstream.

Interesting insight from Chris Ding (who presumably has contacts at retailers):

Yeah I don’t buy this.

No way the same Nintendo that treats every year as “do or die”, is known to sit on games until the time is right, and almost certainly is seeing next year as a critical, transitional moment, doesn’t have a solid lineup past TotK.

They’ll have major games during H2 just as they always do. I suspect he just has uninformed sources, and/or Nintendo is particularly hush about next year.

Brand New Switch
Zelda TOTK
Splatoon 3 Expansion
Xeno 3 Expansion
Pokemon Expansion
Mario Kart DLC
Switch Sports DLC
Advance Wars 1+2
Metroid Prime Remake
Fire Emblem Remake
Pikmin 4
Donkey Kong Next
Switch games now in 4K

I would like to think that a new Mario game will be announced and released in 2023 to pair up with the Mario movie...I am sure there will be a big demand for Mario games when the movie is released.

tIu5FR2l.png

Even better hardware wont fix this. You are mixing hardware and engine.

This is a bad engine also if you want someone to blame it`s Game-freak and not Nintendo.
Nintendo own shares in the company but they are fully independent.

Don't know what Nintendo has in store with their next system, but in-house, they definitely seem to be having fun experimenting with AR/VR.

This patent application was filed in July and published today, but it's a continuation of a Japanese patent application from 2020.

Abstract
An example of an image processing system includes a first HMD worn by a first user and a smart device carried by a second user. In a virtual space, a second virtual camera and a second object are placed in accordance with a position of the smart device relative to a reference in a real space. In the virtual space, a first object is placed regardless of a position of the first HMD in the real space, and a first virtual camera is placed at a position relating to a position of the first object. An image of the virtual space including the second object is displayed on the first HMD based on the first virtual camera. An image of the virtual space including the first object is displayed on the smart device based on the second virtual camera.

fig1oyd64.jpg
fig2veclp.jpg
fig3_4_5cac40.jpg
fig7anea6.jpg

FIG. 1 is an example non-limiting diagram showing an example of the state where images of a virtual space are viewed by a plurality of users using an image processing system 1 according to an exemplary embodiment;

FIG. 2 is an example non-limiting diagram showing an example of the overall configuration of the image processing system 1;

FIG. 3 is an example non-limiting diagram showing an example of the configuration of a first HMD 10 (or a second HMD 30) included in the image processing system 1;

FIG. 4 is an example non-limiting diagram showing an example of the configuration of a smart device 20 included in the image processing system 1;

FIG. 5 is an example non-limiting diagram showing an example of the configuration of a controller 18 included in the image processing system 1;

FIG. 7 is an example non-limiting diagram showing an example of a virtual space 100 including a plurality of virtual objects;

How old was the X1 when Switch released? 2 yrs? I remember haters mocking Switch because the X1 was ”old” by that point.

Highly unlikely that they'll reuse the dock?

Come on now, there's been plenty of reasons to believe that they could reuse it, you can't just say it's unlikely without backing. It's not a matter of fact.
You are right. Fortunately, I didn't say that
It is highly unlikely that Nintendo intends to 1) reuse the Dock with Lan port 2) not allow USB peripherals with Drake.
I believe that Nintendo will reuse the OLED Dock, and that they will not break USB peripherals when they do so. This sets a cap on how much power is available to docked mode below the 39W that the OLED dock is rated for.

I was providing a lot of context because this discussion came up with the OLED was revealed, but hasn't stuck around as common knowledge in the thread.

Nor did I say 30W was the only option- but that increased power draw seems possible, and to me, seems even likely
I also believe that increased power draw is likely. You mentioned 30W, I wanted to illustrate why that is unreasonably high, so we could discuss what it might actually be.

. Furthermore, 14.5W... fits within 30W! That doesn't disprove it, it means that it's technically possible, if unlikely.

And last the USB ports WOULDN'T be starved at 30W, because the maximum output is 39W. Calling the fact that the new Dock has the ability to provide the console with far more power in any sense a "lie", is, well, lying
I didn't mean to accuse you of lying - I was meaning to accusing the packaging of being deceptive. :)

Nintendo replaced one of the USB lanes from the OG Dock with an ethernet port. That required a rebuild of the motherboard, and a replacement of the USB controller. The new USB controller supports a mode where it can turn off power to the USB ports. DisplayPort supports 100W of power, and can draw everything that the dock can pull out of the wall

Thus for regulatory reasons, the OLED dock has a different power rating despite the fact that it doesn't draw any more power out of the wall than the original dock

. Though I suppose that depends on whether this "power passthrough" mode depends entirely on severing all power to USB A ports- which even then, could leave room for the use of this power profile for fast charging.

There's little reason for them to overbuild a dock, to change the design in ways that don't make it cheaper, to improve its ventilation and power delivery capabilities.'
Again, I agree with you. It seems likely that reusing the existing built up dock is the correct call, and it does seem beautifully overengineered. I never once stated that I believed that Nintendo was not going to reuse the OLED dock. Just that Nintendo wasn't going to break the USB ports in the process.

Sure this could be just "off the shelf" coming into play, but if these are the components available, why wouldn't they have changed the base model to come with this new Dock if the parts are easier to source?
The new dock offers a wired LAN port. It's supposed to be a premium feature. The LAN port necessitates the other changes. I never suggested that the new dock was cheaper or easier to source.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom