• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

It's Rockstar.
71SIejljXOL._SL1500_.jpg

Same company, new higher contact from party I ended up at this weekend. They're talking more openly. Much more openly (could have been the copious amounts of coke lol). I wonder if an announcement might be imminent to go along with the first BotW 2 gameplay...

If i get the chance i'll ask who I know about ram but I mostly see them at weekend parties. Possible the memory isn't unified like Series S? Might be cheaper to have a separate slower pool for OS. Retail is definitely 16gb as of now.

Enjoy the Direct tomorrow y'all!
One word gave me all the information

Larger third parties (or just this one in particular since it’s a close partner due to it having the most high profile ps4/xb1 port ready for the launch window) have been briefed on the drake strategy as of a couple of weeks ago. It’s essentially Switch Pro to consumers (just another model in the line) but a massive next gen leap Switch 2 to developers and those of us that know about specs and who know it will inevitably get exclusive games even from Nintendo a couple of years into it’s life.

16gb is in the devkits, the previous devkit was 10gb with 6gb planned for retail (the devkits are a mess silicon wise ‘glued together’ so don’t read into ram modules etc). The current plan as of a couple of weeks ago was 12gb in the retail unit but many developers in the studio are responding to questionnaires with a bump to 16gb if they had an improvement advice. This late in the game I’d say there’s little chance of change beyond my info of 12gb ram and the chipset leak from NV.

I understand the sceptics but like I said previously I really couldn’t give a bollocks who believes me and who doesn’t the info is there so enjoy it or don’t and ignore it just remember to thank me when they reveal / launch it.
Hmm. No matter how they plan to advertise it, it really doesn't sound that much different than PS4 + PS5 and Xbone + Series S/X coexisting together. Last gen continuing to have multiplatform support, save for some exclusives. Of course, the reasons behind it are different than Drake's.

I really can't imagine this a a pro model. Not in functionality and a 3-4 year life span. Drake should replace TX1 eventually. Even if it's 3 years time. Those 1st party multiplatforms will become exclusives eventually on Drake. Come Holiday 2024/2025, I can't imagine the next mk game being on Switch as well. First step is to sell out Mariko switches and only have OLED and lite models.

Does the fact that Devs are still filling out questionnaires about specs indicate this is a ways out yet or nah?
Not necessarily. I mean we have at least 6 months if it's coming out with Botw 2. All it means is that it hasn't entered production yet, which could happen as early as November or December if we get a March release.

k
I'll explain what I've noticed

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
I mean it could be one 64 bus bit width module. Think that would have been 51.2. GB/s bandwidth since it's just one.
Prime 4 is officially cancelled for the Current Switch , it should be Drake Exclusive .

I had to do a double take. This wasn't posted by nintendo and when I click on the original post, it says it was upload 2 years ago.. He never said this regardlessSomeone is messing with the sub 😅

Rofl. Coka Cola people... obviously!!
TBH, better to be open if you are joking /Have your second source BSing than Nintendo disconfirming you themselves.

Personally, some of the details from that second source do make sense in a vacuum, it's just the wording and phrasing around that which makes it highly suspect to some.

And the thing that makes it even harder to validate as believable is the NVIDIA Hack giving us a lot of information about the SoC already which makes building a reasonable range of processing power/specs pretty easy to throw a dart at and be accurate if other factors remain consistent.

Drake/Switch2/SwitchS being a Series S Before DLSS level system when docked is a legitimate possibility with how big the GPU is if it's on a good enough node, just as much as the system only pushing past Series S after DLSS when docked if it were on Samsung 8nm still.

I am the guy who has arguably done the most power calculation stuff on this thing based on the NVIDIA Hack (much to other's annoyance, hi ReddDreadtheLead), so I can see a config like that existing, but the absolute best-case scenario (Series S before DLSS when docked) occurring should be scrutinized if that is what you're trying to say as a leak/rumor in an "official" capacity.

So talking for myself (as one who really hopes Drake is able to punch well between the Series S and PS5 when docked with DLSS/ Can perform PS4 Pro-like processing power in portable mode after DLSS), and others who are more cautious and pessimistic, being honest about this sort of thing would help clear the airwaves a lot, especially before a DIrect.

Much rather this thread goes into Chaos today (if it be so) and then be cleared up for whatever Nintendo announces tomorrow rather than whatever they announce tomorrow get overshadowed by deconfirmation that same day.

Can’t wait till we get expansion storage information. The worse part of some Switch ports were not performance but loading times. Better CPU will bring major improvement but knowing that UFS is used would be a miracle and strong indications for targeted game cart speed.

I mean it could be one 64 bus bit width module. Think that would have been 51.2. GB/s bandwidth since it's just one.
This is 100% my speculation, but I imagine the memory bus width is one of the hardware aspects that has been finalised well in advance.
Yes, and it’s because it’s built into the silicon.

It cannot be 64, Nintendo wouldn’t have something that wastes previous silicon space.

Like I said, I respect your opinion mate. I know it can at times sound far fetched but this is my life. I've been in this companies circle for a decade and I knew a lot about some of their massive games years before the info went public. They're just my school mates that just so happen to work in an industry some of us are OBSESSED over. To them it's not exciting at all but mundane work like most jobs except at this one they're abused in terms of how much time they can even be away from the office. Jason the games industry writer would be very interested in some of the shit I know about that company lol but as I've said I posted my drake info here because you're all hardcore Nintendo / tech people and you're the ones that deserve to hear it not from click bait yt videos or sites like Kotaku who would take my info and make perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars from it in terms of news articles / podcast content. I have read some of y'all's posts since the very first Wii U speculation thread that's why I gave it here.
I also started posting meaty info because the person I met was leaving the industry entirely so it was unique in the sense that he didn't care anymore about being blacklisted even if he was caught. I wouldn't have posted 90% of the info I have if it would have come from my actual friends who're under strict nda's.

Just to be clear the original teases - "don't expect it from santa this year" etc were from a close friend who doesn't say much about drake due to nda. The second lot of info I got about the general performance of drake "PS4 Pro like performance with DLSS" + "12gb ram in retail units" was from a potential romantic partner who worked there. This latest info is from a much more senior person who I've had one conversation with "drake is current line of hardware family but next gen specs and future of ninty" + "original plan was 6gb of ram but developers went berserk and wanted more to help with ports so it changed to 12gb" + "devs want even more ram as per usual, 16gb same as SD".

I know I've said this before but I'm truly done now. Man does this cause stress lol. You won't see me post in this thread again until ninty have revealed the system or Eurogamer leak specs (which is essentially official specs). If I was wrong then I sincerely apologies. I haven't lied, I wasn't raised to lie and I hate it. I've simply passed on info I've been told by people in places that would absolutely 100% know info we do not. If I've truly been duped by the people I trust then I hope I've at least provided some talking points to keep the conversation flowing while we wait for the system.

Cheers!
So see you in the multiverse soon.
Things incoming and doing their path

Like I said, I respect your opinion mate. I know it can at times sound far fetched but this is my life. I've been in this companies circle for a decade and I knew a lot about some of their massive games years before the info went public. They're just my school mates that just so happen to work in an industry some of us are OBSESSED over. To them it's not exciting at all but mundane work like most jobs except at this one they're abused in terms of how much time they can even be away from the office. Jason the games industry writer would be very interested in some of the shit I know about that company lol but as I've said I posted my drake info here because you're all hardcore Nintendo / tech people and you're the ones that deserve to hear it not from click bait yt videos or sites like Kotaku who would take my info and make perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars from it in terms of news articles / podcast content. I have read some of y'all's posts since the very first Wii U speculation thread that's why I gave it here.

I also started posting meaty info because the person I met was leaving the industry entirely so it was unique in the sense that he didn't care anymore about being blacklisted even if he was caught. I wouldn't have posted 90% of the info I have if it would have come from my actual friends who're under strict nda's.

Just to be clear the original teases - "don't expect it from santa this year" etc were from a close friend who doesn't say much about drake due to nda. The second lot of info I got about the general performance of drake "PS4 Pro like performance with DLSS" + "12gb ram in retail units" was from a potential romantic partner who worked there. This latest info is from a much more senior person who I've had one conversation with "drake is current line of hardware family but next gen specs and future of ninty" + "original plan was 6gb of ram but developers went berserk and wanted more to help with ports so it changed to 12gb" + "devs want even more ram as per usual, 16gb same as SD". I don't think 16gb is likely though.

I know I've said this before but I'm truly done now. Man does this cause stress lol. You won't see me post in this thread again until ninty have revealed the system or Eurogamer leak specs (which is essentially official specs). If I was wrong then I sincerely apologies. I haven't lied, I wasn't raised to lie and I hate it. I've simply passed on info I've been told by people in places that would absolutely 100% know info we do not. If I've truly been duped by the people I trust then I hope I've at least provided some talking points to keep the conversation flowing while we wait for the system.

Cheers!
49 20 74 6F 6C 64 20 79 6F 75 20 6E 6F 74 20 74 6F 20 73 68 61 72 65 20 74 68 69 73 20

Just to be clear the original teases - "don't expect it from santa this year" etc were from a close friend who doesn't say much about drake due to nda. The second lot of info I got about the general performance of drake "PS4 Pro like performance with DLSS" + "12gb ram in retail units" was from a potential romantic partner who worked there. This latest info is from a much more senior person who I've had one conversation with "drake is current line of hardware family but next gen specs and future of ninty" + "original plan was 6gb of ram but developers went berserk and wanted more to help with ports so it changed to 12gb" + "devs want more even ram as per usual, 16gb same as SD".

Cheers!
No problem, just wanted to get that sentiment across, and the fact that you are detailing which source is which does clean up a lot of stuff imho.

And TBH, again, the info on paper does make sense when cleaned up and clarified like that, even the Devs wanting 16GB on retail (Series S is tantamount to that very much so), and Nintendo starting with 6GB for Retail on drake earlier on (They started with 3GB on OG Switch and Capcom yelled at them to make it 4GB, so that scenario does have precedent).

I will say your second source is likely the most reliable one, the third one is the one that seemingly got a lot of people, especially cautious, so having that clarified likely will help sort things out.

Thank you for the response.

If I was wrong then I sincerely apologies. I haven't lied, I wasn't raised to lie and I hate it. I've simply passed on info I've been told by people in places that would absolutely 100% know info we do not. If I've truly been duped by the people I trust then I hope I've at least provided some talking points to keep the conversation flowing while we wait for the system.
Just to let you know, when I'm making criticisms about the claims being made, I'm not criticising you, but rather your source that provided you the information.

So... uh, this is tangential, but reading some other recent headline in the computing world reminds me to ask this:
Speculative execution exploits, their mitigations, and those mitigations' impact on performance are mainly concerns for general computing devices, NOT dedicated gaming systems. Am I right or wrong on thinking that?

So... uh, this is tangential, but reading some other recent headline in the computing world reminds me to ask this:
Speculative execution exploits, their mitigations, and those mitigations' impact on performance are mainly concerns for general computing devices, NOT dedicated gaming systems. Am I right or wrong on thinking that?
Wrong, partly.

Desktops and servers are especially vulnerable to these kinds of exploits because they're hotbeds unvetted third party code and hostile inputs. This is why you see the potential performance impacts on, say, your browser as they try to mitigate the issue.

Consoles still have those sorts of problems, though, and jailbreaking/piracy is a major security issue on consoles. More than that, CPU designs need to mitigate/fix these issues, and branch prediction runs deep, so it's unlikely that a console CPU would get some sort of "unsecure branch prediction" variant.

This is 100% my speculation, but I imagine the memory bus width is one of the hardware aspects that has been finalised well in advance.

I can see this being one of the many things a company like Nintendo would want to play around with especially if the original concept of this device started out as something entirely different. The earlier whispers about a Switch Pro were described as XboxOne performance and we clearly are no longer there anymore.

It cannot be 64, Nintendo wouldn’t have something that wastes previous silicon space.

The thing that makes me believe Nintendo were definitely playing around with memory bandwidth size early on is simply in comparison to Nvidia's closest mobile Ampere GA-107 for the RTX 2050 and 3050 which comes in 64bit and 128bit bus respectively(which for it's size and scope would make for pretty excellent early development hardware to target for a Switch device in a similar range)...

Not really on-topic, but given we've there's been discussions and comparisons for the upcoming Switch model/console to the Steam Deck, thought this might be a bit of interesting prototyping history for the device and the changes to the design:

Not really on-topic, but given we've there's been discussions and comparisons for the upcoming Switch model/console to the Steam Deck, thought this might be a bit of interesting prototyping history for the device and the changes to the design:

Shame they had prettier systems before

Just to be clear the original teases - "don't expect it from santa this year" etc were from a close friend who doesn't say much about drake due to nda. The second lot of info I got about the general performance of drake "PS4 Pro like performance with DLSS" + "12gb ram in retail units" was from a potential romantic partner who worked there. This latest info is from a much more senior person who I've had one conversation with "drake is current line of hardware family but next gen specs and future of ninty" + "original plan was 6gb of ram but developers went berserk and wanted more to help with ports so it changed to 12gb" + "devs want even more ram as per usual, 16gb same as SD". I don't think 16gb is likely though.

Cheers!

It seems at best the mention of previous kits targeting retail hardware with only 6 GB is the one that is causing the most issues, given 6GB doesn't fit with what is available in terms of what kind of memory manufactures are able to provide, unless Nintendo was willing to go with just a 64-bit memory bus instead of 128-bit. Not to mention that 6GB seems, well, constraining. And according to your source Nintendo only boosted the amount of RAM during the first half of this year.

So I guess we will wait and see how it all shakes out in the end.

The problem is the hack very, very strongly indicates that Drake sees a 128 bit bus width.
Agreed, but we don't know how different the dev kit from last year is to the change in Q1 2022 with the supposed RAM upgrade from 6 to 12 and increased higher clockspeeds (according to polygon's source). The breach might just be referring to the current model we know now with the 128 but bus width.

it's handful of earlier dev kits from last year we are talking about given to developers.

Just playing devil's advocate. I don't see a contradiction of some sorts. There's a lot of information we don't have. Such as # of dev kits made and their differences. I'm assuming the breach has the latest model with the implied 128 bit buswidth and upgraded RAM. But it's possible prior dev kits from last year had smaller 6GB 64 bit buswidth. I guess there's no way of truly knowing unless a developer tells us ourselves.. At this point I don't really care much.. What will be revealed from Nintendo is all that matters.

Last edited:

Cheers!
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I can see this being one of the many things a company like Nintendo would want to play around with especially if the original concept of this device started out as something entirely different. The earlier whispers about a Switch Pro were described as XboxOne performance and we clearly are no longer there anymore.

The thing that makes me believe Nintendo were definitely playing around with memory bandwidth size early on is simply in comparison to Nvidia's closest mobile Ampere GA-107 for the RTX 2050 and 3050 which comes in 64bit and 128bit bus respectively(which for it's size and scope would make for pretty excellent early development hardware to target for a Switch device in a similar range)...
As ReddDreadtheLead said, the memory bus width is tied to the SoC, so that means the memory bus width has to be finalised when the SoC's taped out, which can't be done until the last possible moment.

And the RTX 2050's probably a lower binned variant of the RTX 3050 laptop GPU, which is not exactly comparable to Drake, since Drake is a custom variation of Orin, hence Orin's T234 and Drake's T239 (here and here). The difference between the RTX 2050 and the RTX 3050 laptop GPU is probably more comparable to the difference between AGX Orin and Orin NX.

Agreed, but we don't know how different the dev kit from last year is to the change in Q1 2022 with the supposed RAM upgrade from 6 to 12 and increased higher clockspeeds (according to polygon's source). The breach might just be referring to the current model we know now with the 128 but bus width.

it's handful of earlier dev kits from last year we are talking about given to developers.

Just playing devil's advocate. I don't see a contradiction of some sorts. There's a lot of information we don't have. Such as # of dev kits made and their differences. I'm assuming the breach has the latest model with the implied 128 bit buswidth and upgraded RAM. But it's possible prior dev kits from last year had smaller 6GB 64 bit buswidth. I guess there's no way of truly knowing unless a developer tells us ourselves.. At this point I don't really care much.. What will be revealed from Nintendo is all that matters.
This makes absolutely no sense.

Disclaimer: if you're new to this thread and don't know the discussion that started around page ~463, disregard the first section of this post or it entirely.
With that out of the way, firstly, I'd like to apologize to the users involved in the discussion (including Polygon).

Although, even after saying this, I feel like after being locked out of the thread for a week by the administration (despite none of the users involved in the discussion, including myself ever going past the 5th upmost degree in graham's disagreement hierarchy) I'm entitled to at the very least, reply to some previous claims.

Let's start with this one which got quite a lot of supportive reactions:
m3NTk3i.png

Notice how the user in question completely ignores the word "always" within the first phrase. The direct correlation between the two phrases as a seemingly irrefutable contradiction is the information that got into most people's head ITT. But if one actually read my posts through, they'd have realized that never did I imply that the new hardware would without a doubt ship with 8GB of RAM. I merely questioned (throughout the whole discussion) the validity of Polygon's claims of 12GB being the actual value.

But sure, I should've been more clear: in my mind, it doesn't make much sense to look way backwards in time for references of a company's behaviour when most technology companies act consistently when analyzed within a small (and recent) timeframe.

Now let's use this logic:

What were the most recent nintendo consoles that predate the switch and how did they evolve through iterations (if any)
The 3DS originally released with iirc, 128MB of system memory, fast forward a couple of years, the new 3DS shipped with merely double that amount (256MB - which a quarter or more alone was dedicated to the 3ds firmware).

What else do we have? the Wii U. Which yes, indeed was a massive upgrade coming from the Wii. However, what everyone fails to mention in this thread about that console is how back when that generation shipped, nintendo was massively behind the competition on that regard. And it surely wasn't like shipping a 4GB console at the very least wouldn't have been feasible for them (if getting rid of the gamepad for that was a requirement, then so be it).

Now, I know there was a paradigm shift after that console. But really, even after the switch came out, we got to know through developer stories how nintendo was stubborn when it comes to memory even back then when developers said they originally planned the switch to ship out with less than 4GB of memory.

All that said, I Just want to make it clear that if Polygon really is speaking the truth here, props to them and I won't even be upset (quite the contrary) because at the end of the day, I'm 99% sure I will eventually get my hands on the upcoming new switch. But when we have posts like this:

Jc4cHTU.png

which gets support despite being unnecessarily harsh towards users, is when we have a problem.

If you felt "talked down upon" by reading my post (which Redd replied to), I'm sorry. It was not my intention; my original goal was to clear up the confusion I saw coming from posters earlier (which I should've replied directly to as a quote anyways).

Last edited:
Nah if it's a 2023 device they won't show it before the holiday. Only reason they did that with the Switch was because Wii U was dead for two years and 3DS was in need of replacement at the same time as well.
They also did that with the Wii U when the Wii wasn't dead, the 3DS when the DS wasn't dead, etc.

Plus, with demand outstripping demand, getting some people to save money now to spend it on a MORE EXPENSIVE console a little later makes sense; even if they don't sell through ALL their units this holiday season, Switches sell like hotcakes, they'll still sell. New 3DS' announcement didn't break the 3DS' stride, nor the Switch and the 3DS; in fact the holiday season of 2016 was one of 3DS' best!

Reheating the points here I know. I'll stop reheating this when people stop insisting they can't announce it before the end of the year. 😅

I'll stop reheating this when people stop insisting they can't announce it before the end of the year. 😅

If only. So much certainty around what they won’t do when frankly nobody knows; And if they do know, they certainly aren’t telling.

If they do announce it this year I feel like October makes the most sense unless they just say fuck it and reveal it in the direct tomorrow

Mate, I'm afraid you seem to have misunderstood the purpose of your thread ban. It was less of a "hold that thought for a week, then feel free to go back and respond to old posts upon your return" nature, and more along the lines of a "take some time off, cool down, and let the old stuff go" type deal. We seriously just want everyone to chill out, and get along. If you'd like to dispute a moderator action, the appropriate feedback thread is located here. You may also submit a ticket, if you'd prefer to go that route, instead. Please refrain from further litigating these arguments in this thread.

As ReddDreadtheLead said, the memory bus width is tied to the SoC, so that means the memory bus width has to be finalised when the SoC's taped out, which can't be done until the last possible moment.

And the RTX 2050's probably a lower binned variant of the RTX 3050 laptop GPU, which is not exactly comparable to Drake, since Drake is a custom variation of Orin, hence Orin's T234 and Drake's T239 (here and here). The difference between the RTX 2050 and the RTX 3050 laptop GPU is probably more comparable to the difference between AGX Orin and Orin NX.

I fully understand everything that you're stating but I'm not so sure that it negates the SoC undergoing a major spec change at some point (unless we now feel that the device was always going to be a 12SM part)... Also kopite7kimi's comment is from June 2021, we know from Nate that some dev partners had kits in late 2020, how do we know that they were all targeting the same?

I am not reading all that, I’m only gonna say we literally moved on, no one even cares anymore.

Why are you bringing this back? The thread ban was to cool off.

In all of that, we let Nate's comment on partners being briefed very recently slide a bit too easily.

That probably means we will hear whispers about those plans in the near future.

I fully understand everything that you're stating but I'm not so sure that it negates the SoC undergoing a major spec change at some point (unless we now feel that the device was always going to be a 12SM part)... Also kopite7kimi's comment is from June 2021, we know from Nate that some dev partners had kits in late 2020, how do we know that they were all targeting the same?
Based on the data breach it was always meant to be 12SMs

Nah if it's a 2023 device they won't show it before the holiday. Only reason they did that with the Switch was because Wii U was dead for two years and 3DS was in need of replacement at the same time as well.
cdc.jpg

“Nintendo wouldn’t possibly do the thing they’ve done with their successful hardware over and over again one more time!” Hell, even Sony has engaged in this precise behaviour with the best-selling home console of all time, introducing PS3 at 2 consecutive E3s before its launch as PS2 was still selling 20mil a year and PS3 barely made a dent in its sales until the year the PS3 launched (and even then, sales only dropped to 15mil that year, give or take). So the entire industry regularly ignores this “concern” that generally doesn’t really exist (or at least not to the scope people fret about), not letting current success stop them from paving the way for their future hardware.
In all of that, we let Nate's comment on partners being briefed very recently slide a bit too easily.

From your lips to Furukawa’s ears.

Last edited:

Yeah, this is a very important bit of info, even if not directly related to the hardware itself. Things are getting on motion and someone will slip soon enough with new details… or whispers at least.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom