• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I'd be very surprised if they announce it in a Direct, as it would take too much attention away from the games (and vice versa). I'm expecting pretty much the same thing as the original Switch; a short video uploaded to YouTube to reveal the device, then a more in-depth look and game showcase at a later date.
I thought it was clarified that the person who posted this date was referring to the Direct date?
To play devil's advocate, Nintendo has done one Nintendo Direct dedicated solely to new hardware in the past.

Who needs media preservation, anyway

Well, not Business, who probably wants to sell you the same experience as many times as possible with the possibility of taking it away from you at any moment they please.

We're slowly becoming like they treat those Airport trained dogs, we have to work to earn our joy but no more than 5 minutes and it's back to work!

I can't wait for a next gen switch to come out so developers will have less of a reason to resort to cloud """ports""".
Trust me, some third party developers will come up with bullshit excuses to not bring games to Nintendo's new hardware equipped with Drake for bullshit reasons.

I'd be very surprised if they announce it in a Direct, as it would take too much attention away from the games (and vice versa). I'm expecting pretty much the same thing as the original Switch; a short video uploaded to YouTube to reveal the device, then a more in-depth look and game showcase at a later date.
Honestly don’t know if I agree. Kind of but, wouldn’t the media flurry about the new hardware coming driving more eyes on the rest of the direct? It could potentially have the opposite effect, or in the end come out as a wash. I guess it just depends on what the decision makers and Nintendo think about it.

"We don't mind losing millions of revenue as long as we don't have to bring our software over to a kiddie console, our games are for the cool customers only, Nintendo will damage our reputation as serious videogame developers"

That makes sense but it's also a new generation Switch they can choose, for some reason, to present as a "'simple upgrade' so in any case, it's not totally comparable to the first Switch's launch. They also teased the NX announcement on the official site in Europe (with that famous Mario behind a curtain), prior to the actual reveal trailer.
I don't really see them shadow drop such a huge reveal like they did with Lite or OLED without some prior teasing but it's hard to predict.
I should clarify. I don't see it necessarily being a shadow drop, I would expect maybe some hints in advance on Twitter, etc., but just that I expect it to be a standalone video.

To play devil's advocate, Nintendo has done one Nintendo Direct dedicated solely to new hardware in the past.

I could see something like this happening, but only after the initial reveal. For their initial reveal of the new model, they really just need a short video to get the idea across, as that's enough to dominate the news cycle, and then they can come back for more detail. I wouldn't necessarily expect they'd need a full direct just for hardware, though, as I expect it will be similar enough to the existing Switch that they would focus on the games.

Regardless if it's BotW2's name or not. With a name comes a release date which should give us a possible release date for new hardware.

^perfect timing

Personally I don't care what this guy has to say, even if it wasn't cheap super vague & meaningless attention grabbing tweet an hour before it starts.

It'll be named but he hasn't heard it. Great job buddy. Thanks for the update. Not like everybody hasn't been saying that is the bare minimum to expect for weeks now.

I have mixed feelings about Drake being announced in the direct.

If the console is coming in Q1 2023 it's the perfect opportunity to at least announce the date of an upcoming presentation. I cannot imagine anything more hype than a "and one more thing."followed by a quick flash of the new hardware and a date for the full presentation. I imagine a chunk of the games being shown today are going to be cross gen titles and enhanced for Drake.

On the other hand yes, it may take away from the titles shown unless during the quick date announcement they say something about the games that were shown today are enhanced in the new hardware and we can't wait to show you more.

It's tough to call, like a lot of aspects to launching new hardware. One thing I am certain of is that this will not be treated like the Lite or OLED for the announcement, it's too big for that.

on the other hand if it's coming Q2 and Zelda gets dated or even confirmed for Q2 then it's a bit early. i imagine if there's any Zelda reveals it is brief footage again and the name. maybe some confirmation that's still on-track 100% for Spring. no date, no Drake.

we might see those rumoured WW/TP ports though.

on the other hand if it's coming Q2 and Zelda gets dated or even confirmed for Q2 then it's a bit early. i imagine if there's any Zelda reveals it is brief footage again and the name. maybe some confirmation that's still on-track 100% for Spring. no date, no Drake.

I agree 100%. I wouldn't rule out an announcement in October/November if Zelda is looking like a late April/May release.

We are so close now, I reckon the hype train conductor is dusting off his uniform as we speak.

99% chance this happens

What if the next Console is called Nintendo Switch Cloud?

The dock is the console that you connect to the TV and/or your home network while the Switch is just a simple handheld device that games on the dock get streamed to?

You could take your Switch Cloud device and stream it from home docked while playing games everywhere*

*Required 5g or better connection

actually I’m just joking around but with Nintendo we never know right?

Weird decision of Capcom to release the most recent RE games as cloud editions.

If Switch 2 / Switch Pro really is coming next year, that would be the perfect opportunity for them to release ports of those games...

Mid May for tears of the kingdom so January hardware announcement it is!

What if the next Console is called Nintendo Switch Cloud?

The dock is the console that you connect to the TV and/or your home network while the Switch is just a simple handheld device that games on the dock get streamed to?

You could take your Switch Cloud device and stream it from home docked while playing games everywhere*

*Required 5g or better connection

actually I’m just joking around but with Nintendo we never know right?

I am blaming you for all those resident evil cloud ports. You cursed the direct.

At this point I genuinely feel like the GCN remasters are being revealed as 4K remasters and will probably be revealed with Drake.

also not to sound like im deep in copium or whatever but it still technically isn't confirmed that drake release is linked to tears of the kingdom

Weird decision of Capcom to release the most recent RE games as cloud editions.

If Switch 2 / Switch Pro really is coming next year, that would be the perfect opportunity for them to release ports of those games...
They get the double dippers that way.

Tears of The Kingdom, May 12, 2023

That's well after Q1 2023, the insiders are wrong after all
Who said it was launching Q1 2023?

Jesus that direct was legitimate garbage aside from the first party announcements. Most of it was JRPG games that sell poorly on release

Titles that will be given more focus this weekend at the TGS. Feels like they stuffed all of those they could in this Direct and left out a couple meaty 1st party titles...that could just be Twitter dropped next week. Who knows.

Seems like every september direct there are rumours of WWHD and TPHD.

I am going to set the record straight once and for all.

Holiday 2024 Twilight Princess UHD
Holiday 2025 A Link Between Past Worlds.
Holiday 2026 The Wind Waker UHD

#Insider

No not really, but I honestly see them releasing the game cube remasters as UHD versions and charging $60 again.

Nate said in H1 of 2023. not Q1.
He also said "early" once upon a time, and May is not early. No matter how you slice it. Halfway through a meal is not early into the meal. That said, it was wise of him to get out the H1 prediction before the Direct dropped, just in case.

Ultimately, my thoughts are this:

Breath of the Wild 2 and Drake are probably connected but not necessarily day in date with one another.

In the end, we'll see, and we'll probably have it this rime next year regardless.

It's not time for panic stations yet; and I still don't think a 2022 reveal is off the table.

Good learning experience for everyone. The insiders clearly have some info, but they're not perfect and shouldn't be worshipped like some people like to do here. For the leakers, maybe exercise a bit of restraint in saying "this will for sure be at the direct" when you don't have 100% confirmation.

Good learning experience for everyone. The insiders clearly have some info, but they're not perfect and shouldn't be worshipped like some people like to do here. For the leakers, maybe exercise a bit of restraint in saying "this will for sure be at the direct" when you don't have 100% confirmation.
Can we not? I grow tired of seeing posts of this variant after literally every direct. No, folks aren't "worshipping" insiders. Insiders share information because folks are interested, and they owe us nothing.

I am sitting here in the hardware speculation thread and having a hard time understanding what this post is about.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom