• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

It has 3.25x more memory reserved for games compared to Wii U. That alone is significant imo.

But this discussion is going nowhere, so let’s just leave it alone. We clearly have different opinions.
My response was too harsh, I’ll apologize for that. I’ll just say that I personally don’t see anything significant between the switch and Wii U.

Also this is sorta what I mean:
switch games look like wii u games
wii u games didn't look like wii games
wii games looked like gamecube games
gamecube games didn't look like n64 games

not sure why people are splitting hairs about such a simple cadence
But I’ll drop it like you said.

Admittedly this isn't true, especially given what type of games that the Switch that have been released over the years could never run on older Nintendo hardware. I think in terms of first party that stands out in particular is Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, and I'd even say Xenoblade 2.

If you're mostly talking from the early years, which Nintendo did more as a port machine (likely to give Wii U games a second chance), I can see where you're coming from.

That said, everything else you said is correct, especially on the GC and Wii side of things. Biggest improvement with Wii was increased memory, as well as GPU and CPU speeds, but that aside, a lot of games were very similar in appearance between the two consoles, though some games absolutely took advantage of the extra speed and ram.

(Also, apologies if I misunderstood where this post was directed at, just wanted to chime in on the situation there)

I'm talking about the older denial, the 3DS new model.
It happened a few times for multiple 3DS revisions IIRC, but what they did was explicitly deny a new model was coming after those models were heavily rumored. Here's what I can find on google.

Then only days later...

Something similar happened with the new 3DS and DSi IIRC but I'm having trouble finding that with google right now.

Admittedly this isn't true, especially given what type of games that the Switch that have been released over the years could never run on older Nintendo hardware. I think in terms of first party that stands out in particular is Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, and I'd even say Xenoblade 2.
could never run? maybe

but they're in the same league. wii to wii u was not the same league, and n64 to gamecube was not the same league

they basically look the same

could never run? maybe

but they're in the same league. wii to wii u was not the same league, and n64 to gamecube was not the same league

they basically look the same
I even think could never run is an overstatement. The Wii U had Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicals X.

Compromised, sure, quarter texture resolutions, half the image quality, fewer shadows, some culling, some physics cut backs. But nothing game breaking. Nothing that defines the gameplay. The limits of Switch are definitely ahead of the limits of Wii U. But I'm not convinced we've reached that point yet.

If I’m not mistaken, all of these started as Wii U games and were moved over mid-development to be Switch games.
Only LM3 is ‘confirmed’ that started as a Wii U game, also starting as a Wii U game doesn’t mean that much if later in development the scope of the game is expanded a lot and it becomes almost a different game.

Only LM3 is ‘confirmed’ that started as a Wii U game, also starting as a Wii U game doesn’t mean that much if later in development the scope of the game is expanded a lot and it becomes almost a different game.
Luigi's Mansion 3 does not have a larger scope than Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicals X. Which were Wii U mainstays.

Luigi's Mansion 3 does not have a larger scope than Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicals X. Which were Wii U mainstays.
My point is more that starting as a Wii U game doesn’t mean that much if later in development switches to other platform. LM3 probably could have been made for the WiiU but it would be a pretty different game especially in how it looks

My point is more that starting as a Wii U game doesn’t mean that much if later in development switches to other platform. LM3 probably could have been made for the WiiU but it would be a pretty different game especially in how it looks
I doubt that severely. It would be a little toned down, but much of Luigi's Mansion's appeal is stylistic, not technical.

IMO BOTW running on the WiiU with near parity to the Switch pretty well confirms there isn't a significant upgrade there. You can bet it was heavily optimized for each.
Uh, no, it was not. They basically had to quickly port it to the Switch in a matter of months, with virtually no optimization. Pretty sure they said this explicitly in a GDC talk.

Uh, no, it was not. They basically had to quickly port it to the Switch in a matter of months, with virtually no optimization. Pretty sure they said this explicitly in a GDC talk.
Indeed. The obviously added some optimization via patches, but it was quickly ported originally.

Video should start at around 53minutes.

Sometimes I wish they would've allowed an option for higher clocks on Mariko, like a boost mode with a battery life and heat warning.

Found a channel showing some 60 FPS mods on a hacked V2, and the thirst is real.

Indeed. The obviously added some optimization via patches, but it was quickly ported originally.

Video should start at around 53minutes.

They did continue to optimize it after the fact though and patch it? So.. yeah. Then you have the trailers for BOTW2 which look to me maybe only a hair better. If BOTW2 comes out and it looks like a significant upgrade over 1 on Switch OG then maybe you have a point but.. that doesn't look to be the case.

They did continue to optimize it after the fact though and patch it? So.. yeah. Then you have the trailers for BOTW2 which look to me maybe only a hair better. If BOTW2 comes out and it looks like a significant upgrade over 1 on Switch OG then maybe you have a point but.. that doesn't look to be the case.
Optimization through patches after the fact can only do so much when the game was built from the ground up for a different platform.

Also, from what I recall DF did an analysis of BOTW2 footage and concluded it is very significantly advanced over BOTW1.

Optimization through patches after the fact can only do so much when the game was built from the ground up for a different platform.

Also, from what I recall DF did an analysis of BOTW2 footage and concluded it is very significantly advanced over BOTW1.
I guess our definition of significant is just different lol. If you say the trailers to BOTW2 look significantly enhanced over 1 then more power to you. I was hoping for that, and was disappointed by not seeing it, personally.

But it is still not 'near parity' with the Wii U, it is running at a higher resolution.

I guess our definition of significant is just different lol. If you say the trailers to BOTW2 look significantly enhanced over 1 then more power to you. I was hoping for that, and was disappointed by not seeing it, personally.
Personally I have no grasp of graphical fidelity or features, I can't spot shit like ambient occlusion or anisotropic filtering. I'm just going by what the experts at DF have said.

It happened a few times for multiple 3DS revisions IIRC, but what they did was explicitly deny a new model was coming after those models were heavily rumored. Here's what I can find on google.

Then only days later...

Something similar happened with the new 3DS and DSi IIRC but I'm having trouble finding that with google right now.
Thanks, I translated(deepl) the nintendo statement and it was things like, "there is things wrong is the arcticle and what we have is anounced and our E3 sites." The article talks about Wii U and New 3DS, never especifying what they are talking abou.

They never "deny" something directly. That's why I find amusing that the lie when deny directly. I know it's "semantics" but it's important when dealing with corporations.

They did the same about the article about the new model and higher margins for Switch OLED, they never deny directly the new hardware they only talk about the higher margings.

well people say Pokemon has good graphics, so...

gL88KkE.jpg

wii u games didn't look like wii games
wii games looked like gamecube games
gamecube games didn't look like n64 games

not sure why people are splitting hairs about such a simple cadence
Late to this whole discussion, but I'm amazed that the above is controversial at all.

It's not saying that Switch games aren't an improvement, but XCX on Wii U was a world away from Xenoblade on Wii. It was a clear generational difference. It had people's eyes bugging out of their heads when it was first shown in that legendary direct. Here we are in 2022 and XC3 on Switch still isn't, to the bare eye, a generational leap over XCX. From IQ, pop-in, texturing etc... they're better, sure, but they're all still "of that generation".

I think that this might only really become apparent to people once they see what the next Switch can actually do. Because it'll blow people away. You won't need to pixel-peep to see it.

Going by the speed of the thread and the talk about Switch games looking like Wii U games, it’s safe to say there are no new updates, right?

Going by the speed of the thread and the talk about Switch games looking like Wii U games, it’s safe to say there are no new updates, right?
The only new update is that the most recent new update was never really an update on anything at all.

i.e. that Nikkei article said nothing about no new hardware coming this FY

Late to this whole discussion, but I'm amazed that the above is controversial at all.

It's not saying that Switch games aren't an improvement, but XCX on Wii U was a world away from Xenoblade on Wii. It was a clear generational difference. It had people's eyes bugging out of their heads when it was first shown in that legendary direct. Here we are in 2022 and XC3 on Switch still isn't, to the bare eye, a generational leap over XCX. From IQ, pop-in, texturing etc... they're better, sure, but they're all still "of that generation".

I think that this might only really become apparent to people once they see what the next Switch can actually do. Because it'll blow people away. You won't need to pixel-peep to see it.
Agree with all of this on comparisons with Wii u, pretty hard to argue with tbh.
I hope you're right on next Switch.

Day 1 of sharing a clarity fact every day until we get clarity on the Nikkei article

Did you know? Many wines are not vegan, and some not even vegetarian, due to the use of clarifying agents derived from animal products. If you are vegan and want to enjoy wine, make sure you procure a bottle clarified through vegan agents

I consider myself a layman and I'm sitting here pointing out every incongruity I see in Xenoblade Chronicles 3

and there are a lot
Well you DO like feet, so getting down and dirty with the details is sort of your specialty, regardless of whether you're particularly good at it. 🤣

Day 1 of sharing a clarity fact every day until we get clarity on the Nikkei article
the fact you're waiting on clarity shows the lack of value in the article

Well you DO like feet, so getting down and dirty with the details is sort of your specialty, regardless of whether you're particularly good at it. 🤣
feet are a topological nightmare

Last edited:
In thinking about the emulation/piracy thread that popped up on era today, it does make me wonder how that scene will impact Nintendo's software decisions with their new hardware, if at all. I think think we have all been assuming that the Switch will enjoy a hearty cross gen period where it will get all/most Switch 2(whatever) releases for the next couple years, but I wonder if the ease of emulation and piracy of base Switch games impacts that at all.

I mean, we know Nintendo hates both piracy and emulation, and certainly can't be happy that people can run their games day and date on PC and Steam Deck with better performance. Particularly with that gaining more and more notoriety online. Similarly, there are also 10s of millions of easily hackable V1 Switches out there as well, that Nintendo explicitly released revision hardware to phase out.

Maybe it doesn't impact their decision making, but at the same time I wouldn't exactly be shocked to see them sacrifice the mass market of the base Switch, and release more Switch 2 only games from the jump, to cut their games off from emulators and pirates.

I mean, we know Nintendo hates both piracy and emulation, and certainly can't be happy that people can run their games day and date on PC and Steam Deck with better performance.
This is a tangential question, but does Switch emulation on Steam Deck actually perform better than Switch in handheld mode?

Oh god I was looking for a really simple cartoon foot that's basically just an L to prove you wrong but that google search just made me feel disgusting.

I do not care for feet.
here you go.

bea004c4a36b4e5aa40b4b39049f2a80.jpeg

This is a tangential question, but does Switch emulation on Steam Deck actually perform better than Switch in handheld mode?
as far as I've heard, no

I think matching or beating Switch performance is game dependent at the moment. I'm not that versed in the emulation scene for the Steam Deck though. I imagine that will become more consistent as emulation matures on that platform.

In thinking about the emulation/piracy thread that popped up on era today, it does make me wonder how that scene will impact Nintendo's software decisions with their new hardware, if at all. I think think we have all been assuming that the Switch will enjoy a hearty cross gen period where it will get all/most Switch 2(whatever) releases for the next couple years, but I wonder if the ease of emulation and piracy of base Switch games impacts that at all.

I mean, we know Nintendo hates both piracy and emulation, and certainly can't be happy that people can run their games day and date on PC and Steam Deck with better performance. Particularly with that gaining more and more notoriety online. Similarly, there are also 10s of millions of easily hackable V1 Switches out there as well, that Nintendo explicitly released revision hardware to phase out.

Maybe it doesn't impact their decision making, but at the same time I wouldn't exactly be shocked to see them sacrifice the mass market of the base Switch, and release more Switch 2 only games from the jump, to cut their games off from emulators and pirates.
For what it’s worth, Nintendo killed the Nintendo DS earlier than expected to combat the very bad levels of piracy that was rampant on the system. Now I don’t know how extreme the piracy is on switch, however the piracy was enough to push Nintendo to kill a platform to launch a new platform that was pirate free for a time being.

If Nintendo is pushed they will absolutely kill the switch and will not look back without any concern.

If it turns out to be a misunderstanding, would you personally say that Late 2022 would be an option again?

I am not aware of how frequently you have followed this thread. But shortly before the OLED S3 announcement we had here some rumors coming from two Nintendo uncles as they are called here. Their info was spot on with the S3 model, and they also said that production of a New Model (Switch Pro) has begun in some factories (at least on of them reported this).

They speculated (or maybe they do know something?) that an announcement in September is very likely.

How likely is this scenario?
I don't believe 2022 is an option right now. I do believe FY is still in play. This is opinion before people dwell on it for weeks.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, Nintendo killed the Nintendo DS earlier than expected to combat the very bad levels of piracy that was rampant on the system. Now I don’t know how extreme the piracy is on switch, however the piracy was enough to push Nintendo to kill a platform to launch a new platform that was pirate free for a time being.

If Nintendo is pushed they will absolutely kill the switch and will not look back without any concern.
As long as we don't have flashcarts similar to the Sky3DS or what we had on the NDS - Nintendo won't heavily suffer from piracy on the Switch.
At least not as heavily as the NDS era for sure.

When would they announce a revision for this FY? It'd have to be like in january.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom