• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

So the end result of the Nikkei article, at least for now, is that it doesn't seem like Nintendo/Furukawa said anything, and it's also unclear whether Nikkei themselves are actually calling no hardware this FY. Is that correct?
Seems to be, yeah. Meaningless as far as Drake timing is concerned in other words.

sounds to me like nikkei is putting out a statement

edit: is there a precedent of them clarifying when statements like this blow up?
There was too much bad reaction because they f this so called statements / interview.
Personnal attack toward Nate , despite he was always there spreading good things for the community. Whatever his clarity… 2023 is the max and September is a good checkpoint ( for me ) 😎

There will be some clarity soon.

Natetease.png

So many moving parts with all of this. I'm hopeful for a Spring 2023 launch because six years for the base Switch is very long and healthy cycle but I think a lot of people want to move forward with something more modern. My only concern for 2023 is that advancing rhetoric from the Chinese signaling that they may be about to invade Taiwan. No I don't know what the Chinese will do and I hope they will calm down but if they do indeed invade then the Switch 2 or whatever will be pushed back for many many years and this invasion would send ripples across the entire tech industry and likely effect the entire industry for many years. Would be disastrous beyond imagination. However assuming China calms down and doesn't invade Taiwan then I think we could be in for a fantastic 2023 as Nintendo fans. :)

Last edited:
in this context it's all I can imagine though

maybe a western outlet inquired about it?

It could be clarity around Nikkei's reporting, but it could also be that the topic of discussion - new hardware dates - will have some more concrete information soon.

It could be clarity around Nikkei's reporting, but it could also be that the topic of discussion - new hardware dates - will have some more concrete information soon.

Nate's going to post a mysterious video of him in a trenchcoat standing in a dark hallway of a Chinese factory, his face covered in shadow holding a Switch 2 talking about it with a robotic voice synthesiser. ;)

the latter makes no sense in this context though. the post in question isn't really about the hardware itself, instead being entirely focused on the nikkei saga

So the end result of the Nikkei article, at least for now, is that it doesn't seem like Nintendo/Furukawa said anything, and it's also unclear whether Nikkei themselves are actually calling no hardware this FY. Is that correct?

but like

even nintendo announcing the switch 2 tomorrow wouldn't clarify what nikkei meant and/or heard

edit: I guess maybe Nintendo could make a statement saying that they did not comment on hardware in that interview?

the latter makes no sense in this context though. the post in question isn't really about the hardware itself, instead being entirely focused on the nikkei saga

I kind of disagree. The main reason people are asking for clarity on the Nikkei saga is because it's dealing with an important (and somewhat contentious) topic, one people have been asking on for years, and we're really not sure if Nikkei is giving us an answer.

Maybe for some posters it's entirely about understanding that rogue sentence in the report, but at least for myself, 'clarity' on this matter is entirely around knowing when hardware is or is not releasing.

Maybe for some posters it's entirely about understanding that rogue sentence in the report
My judgment is that the post being replied to is one such post though. There's no reason to believe that "clarity" in this context refers to anything more or less than an indication of what Nikkei specifically meant.

I do concede that I could be totally off-base, but I sincerely can't parse that exchange as referring to anything else

I hope that if SSBU gets an update on Drake that they use the opportunity to add rollback netcode, like how DBFZ is adding it for next gen consoles. That alone would be huge.
I would absolutely love this and would be all in favour for it, but there's a likelier chance of Fighter Pass 3 being announced with Bandai Namco's complete aversion to rollback netcode, and Sakurai himself stating they "looked into it" and decided it wasn't worthwhile.

(Some Reddit speculation suggests it's because more than 2 players and items were what would cause some serious problems, and is also why Slippi afaik is limited to 1-on-1 no items)

Let’s put it this way, there is not a single noteworthy increase from the Nintendo Wii U to the Nintendo switch, point blank period.

New architecture? Yes, newer features? Yes, I’m not denying this before anyone thinks I do.

But largely the switch has just fulfilled the purpose of being a “Nintendo Wii U pro” and is a bit better at doing everything than the Nintendo Wii U.

let’s put it this way, the increase between Switch and Wii U is similar to the increase that the Wii had over the GameCube. Twice the memory bandwidth, more memory too but not “significantly” so. 43MB to 88MB non unified is a similar increase that 2GB to 4GB is. A CPU that is a bit more performant but it’s still very much limited, and GPU that is not sufficiently fed to do what it’s capable of doing but it is twice as fast.

It’s the same position but better at doing the same job. And no one considers the Wii a significant leap whatsoever over the GameCube.

And before I get the inevitable comment, I’m talking about a Nintendo switch here, I’m not talking about the tegra X1, I’m talking about the device that Nintendo presented to you and how they have kept presenting it to you, the consumer, who buys it and buys games on it.

The device has largely targeted a level performance that is not “significantly better than the Wii U“ but it is better in a way where it is good enough to most where they see this improvement over the Wii U, or not.

And please, keep note, I’m strictly referring to the level of performance here. And whenever I referred to the tick and the tock cadence, I’m referring strictly to the paradigm of development. They refined and they moved forward. And it’s just a pet theory of mine. If people consider something like “1.2-1.5 times” (THIS IS FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES) the performance to be significant so be it, but that is such a pathetic increase to even entertain the conversation surrounding that.

And I know someone, some of you, do you consider that to be some significant performance sleep. Quite frankly I do not because it will still look pretty much the same to me. If it doesn’t look like something changed enough or I’m wowed by the change then it simply was not significant to me.

I am aware that silicon can have multiple memory controllers for different types of RAM, but specifically for this context the switch Drake will not have more than one memory controller most likely because this is extra complexity to the silicon. If it only has the memory controller for LPDDR5, it can’t just be swapped easily. The memory controller for LPDDR5 would only work with LPDDR5. The aforementioned 6800u in my post in the post for example has DDR5 and LPDDR5 support, but I only focused on the LPDDR5 because I was related to the context of what we were discussing which is switching from 5 to 5X. 6800u can support DDR5 and LPDDR5 memory, but it can’t support LPDDR5X memory because it doesn’t have a memory controller for that. It only has memory controller for two types of ram.

If AMD updates the silicon to have more than just LPDDR5/DDR5 memory compatibility such as DDR4 or adds LPDDR4X and LPDDR5X, then yes but I didn’t really find those to be relevant for the sake of conversation.
From my perspective, can it run games the Wii U could never run? If the answer is yes, that is significant. And I am fairly certain the answer is
Yes.

There will be some clarity soon.

If it turns out to be a misunderstanding, would you personally say that Late 2022 would be an option again?

I am not aware of how frequently you have followed this thread. But shortly before the OLED S3 announcement we had here some rumors coming from two Nintendo uncles as they are called here. Their info was spot on with the S3 model, and they also said that production of a New Model (Switch Pro) has begun in some factories (at least on of them reported this).

They speculated (or maybe they do know something?) that an announcement in September is very likely.

How likely is this scenario?

There was too much bad reaction because they f this so called statements / interview.
Personnal attack toward Nate , despite he was always there spreading good things for the community. Whatever his clarity… 2023 is the max and September is a good checkpoint ( for me ) 😎

Why is September a good checkpoint, for what? Is something important going to happen in September?

sounds to me like nikkei is putting out a statement

edit: is there a precedent of them clarifying when statements like this blow up?
It actually hasn`t blown up at all on JP side.
Sorry to keep making posts, Interested in this as a weird case study of social media spread of information, so spent quite some time doing news searches / google search / twitter:

Found 3 articles
https://ga-m.com/n/nintendo-switch-singata-2023-3-derukotohanai-nikkei/ <- Blog writing about how foreign media have misunderstood the news report.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/c84c5acbfeee318e4f645680894f192079b52d21 <- Phile Web (Article from gadget blog) Quoting Mochizuki as the source.
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9918866.html <- Quoting VGC / Mochizuki as the source

and less than 20 tweets.

Last edited:
It actually hasn`t blown up at all on JP side.
Sorry to keep making posts, Interested in this as a weird case study of social media spread of information, so spent quite some time doing news searches / google search / twitter:

Found 2 articles
https://ga-m.com/n/nintendo-switch-singata-2023-3-derukotohanai-nikkei/ <- Blog writing about how foreign media have misunderstood the news report.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/c84c5acbfeee318e4f645680894f192079b52d21 <- Phile Web (Article from gadget blog) Quoting Mochizuki as the source.

and less than 20 tweets.
The whole thing is kind of sketchy... Mochizuki's master plan to confuse everyone? :unsure:

From my perspective, can it run games the Wii U could never run? If the answer is yes, that is significant. And I am fairly certain the answer is
Yes.
In the same way that Nintendo Wii got call of duty, if there is a popular platform and there’s enough developer interest/willing to do it, they will make something happen. The Switch is no different.

I really don’t care when it’s going to release to be honest, I just want the thing to be announced so bad, it feels like it’s taking ages now (of course I’m not thinking about it constantly lol, don’t worry)

That’s why I’m still hoping for a 2022 announcement even for a 2023 release, that could be a thing if they’re going for a March release.

I am not well informed on Nikkei. Is this true?
Not sure what they mean about the Switch OLED but yeah for some DS and 3DS revisions Nintendo explicitly denied in interviews that new models were coming like, maybe 1-3 weeks before then announcing those models. Some of those interviews were with Nikkei but not all of them IIRC.

Not sure what they mean about the Switch OLED but yeah for some DS and 3DS revisions Nintendo explicitly denied in interviews that new models were coming like, maybe 1-3 weeks before then announcing those models. Some of those interviews were with Nikkei but not all of them IIRC.
I was talking about Nintendo more generally and even in 2021 they were all "We have nothing to announce at this time." until they announced it. 😜

“Significant” is a subjective measurement.
You are bending the definition of “significant” to fit your theory.
I’m not bending anything

significant shows a large noticeable change, switch over Wii U has not shown that. Like at all. It has shown a leap, but nothing significant.

“You are bending the definition of ‘significant’ to fit your theory”

lol what

I’m not bending anything

significant shows a large noticeable change, switch over Wii U has not shown that. Like at all. It has shown a leap, but nothing significant.

“You are bending the definition of ‘significant’ to fit your theory”

lol what
It has 3.25x more memory reserved for games compared to Wii U. That alone is significant imo.

But this discussion is going nowhere, so let’s just leave it alone. We clearly have different opinions.

Now I'm curious, did nintendo actually denied the Hardware information or they did deny other information in the same article that people say that they denied the hardware?

Now I'm curious, did nintendo actually denied the Hardware information or they did deny other information in the same article that people say that they denied the hardware?
Do you mean in the recent Nikkei article? They didn't deny anything, Furukawa simply said it will be difficult to hit their hardware forecast due to a number of reasons (discussing some of said reasons), Nintendo themselves didn't say a word about a new model.

Nikkei put in a phrase after his quote discussing the new model, but many western outlets translated it as "there will be no announcement of the hotly anticipated new model this fiscal year" when apparently the correct translation in context is more like "so far in this fiscal year the new model has not been announced, which is hotly anticipated and would help them achieve their hardware forecast"

Do you mean in the recent Nikkei article? They didn't deny anything, Furukawa simply said it will be difficult to hit their hardware forecast due to a number of reasons (discussing some of said reasons), Nintendo themselves didn't say a word about a new model.

Nikkei put in a phrase after his quote discussing the new model, but many western outlets translated it as "there will be no announcement of the hotly anticipated new model this fiscal year" when apparently the correct translation in context is more like "so far in this fiscal year the new model has not been announced, which is hotly anticipated and would help them achieve their hardware forecast"
I'm talking about the older denial, the 3DS new model.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom