• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Not that I believe it but if it did release in March I feel like they would have to announce it this year. Otherwise it's January which is not only awkward right after the holidays but really close to the release date (Oled had 3 months between announcement and release).

I guess unless it's a big new console and you don't mind announcing it really early March just isn't an ideal time. Has Nintendo recently got a mid gen console out during that time? Otherwise announcement in Summer for a late Summer/Fall release seems the smoothest for that type of console. That's what they've done so far and maybe we should considerate more as the logical next step in 2023.

Thing is, while it is work to update the memory controller to support 5X, I think that work is unavoidable in the long term. I think that within the lifetime of Drake/revised-Drake Switches, regular LPDDR5 will be phased out. Ergo, for sourcing reasons, I think that 5X support is inevitable.
Hm, about that.

I have a theory pertaining to that and others may or may not like or agree with it. Mapping out since the GameCube Nintendo seems to have followed a “Tick-Tock” cadence with their hardware (home consoles only maybe?) with respect to their performance changes.

The GameCube was the first Tock
The Nintendo Wii was the first Tick
The Nintendo Wii U was the second Tock
The Nintendo Switch was the second Tick
The Switch Next (Drake) will be the third Tock

But the thing after Drake will be more of an incremental increase over Drake and thus be more of a Tock than a tick. That will be the “Switch 2”

Drake being the “Switch Pro” but Drake+/die shrink is “Switch 2”. Has the faster RAM and has higher clock frequencies, here they’d introduce the Lite 2 refresh with the 5X memory along with the Switch 2 from the start. Or maybe LPDDR6 if it’s available by then. It is supposed to offer 136GB/s after all. This “Switch 2” being for a 2025/26 release perhaps.

If that makes sense to you that is.

Last edited:
Hm, about that.

I have a theory pertaining to that and others may or may not like or agree with it. Mapping out since the GameCube Nintendo seems to have followed a “Tick-Tock” cadence with their hardware (home consoles only maybe?) with respect to their performance changes.

The GameCube was the first Tick
The Nintendo Wii was the first Tock
The Nintendo Wii U was the second Tick
The Nintendo Switch was the second Tock
The Switch Next (Drake) will be the third Tick

But the thing after Drake will be more of an incremental increase over Drake and thus be more of a Tock than a tick. That will be the “Switch 2”

Drake being the “Switch Pro” but Drake+/die shrink is “Switch 2”. Has the faster RAM and has higher clock frequencies, here they’d introduce the Lite 2 refresh with the 5X memory along with the Switch 2 from the start. Or maybe LPDDR6 if it’s available by then. It is supposed to offer 136GB/s after all. This “Switch 2” being for a 2025/26 release perhaps.

If that makes sense to you that is.
You lost me at calling the Switch a tock. New tech vendor, new architecture, new dev enviroment. It’s completely new tech, that doesn’t build on anything Nintendo used before.

You lost me at calling the Switch a tock. New tech vendor, new architecture, new dev enviroment. It’s completely new tech, that doesn’t build on anything Nintendo used before.
Nah, I'd say it's a tock. Similar power to Wii U with a new gimmick (like GCN to Wii), same architecture as a previous console (3DS) and same hardware vendor (3DS Tegra Dev Kits.)

Switch is the culmination of 3DS and Wii U development, cutting everything they didn't need to deliver a streamlined product without taking gigantic risks. While we may see Switch as very new, Nintendo making their new home console a handheld is incredibly safe from their perspective, especially since they had and have a monopoly on the segment of handhelds.

Drake will be the next "tick": not a response to Switch but a change in direction. No longer satisfied to be good enough, but vying to be genuinely powerful, genuinely capable, something Nintendo hasn't done in decades. As it's a new direction (even if the form factor is the same), it's a "tick", as I see it.

Nah, I'd say it's a tock. Similar power to Wii U with a new gimmick (like GCN to Wii), same architecture as a previous console (3DS) and same hardware vendor (3DS Tegra Dev Kits.)

Switch is the culmination of 3DS and Wii U development, cutting everything they didn't need to deliver a streamlined product without taking gigantic risks. While we may see Switch as very new, Nintendo making their new home console a handheld is incredibly safe from their perspective, especially since they had and have a monopoly on the segment of handhelds.

Drake will be the next "tick": not a response to Switch but a change in direction. No longer satisfied to be good enough, but vying to be genuinely powerful, genuinely capable, something Nintendo hasn't done in decades. As it's a new direction (even if the form factor is the same), it's a "tick", as I see it.
While it was considered at one point, the 3ds did not end up using a Tegra. It used a pica, with a lot of fixed function hardware. I see the power jump from WII U to Switch as more of a coincidence than anything else really. Its where NVIDIAS off the shelf hardware was at that point in time.

I see Erista as a tick, mariko as a tock and drake as a tick.

That’s not really what I mean by a tock, it’s performance related as I mentioned in the post.

Switch is more efficient but at how it’s operating, it isn’t significantly stronger than the Wii U, but it is stronger than it. Similar, but not the same, as how the Wii is stronger than the GCN, but not significantly so

That’s not really what I mean by a tock, it’s performance related as I mentioned in the post.

Switch is more efficient but at how it’s operating, it isn’t significantly stronger than the Wii U, but it is stronger than it. Similar, but not the same, as how the Wii is stronger than the GCN, but not significantly so
Imo it definitely is significantly stronger than the Wii U. I see the Wii U and Switch as 2 ticks in a row. Mariko was the tock, Nintendo just decided not to treat it as such. Drake is another tick.

Traditionally tick means new architecture and tock means die shrink..
Alright, so it's unrelated to how the device is actually positioned.

GameCube -> Tick
Wii -> Tock
Wii U -> Tick

Erista -> Tick
Mariko -> Tock
Drake -> Tick

Alright, so it's unrelated to how the device is actually positioned.

GameCube -> Tick
Wii -> Tock
Wii U -> Tick

Erista -> Tick
Mariko -> Tock
Drake -> Tick
I agree. except its opposite lol.

Just googled this definition:

"The original definition, stated by Intel can be described as (Intel, 2015): A Tick Advances Manufacturing Technology. A Tock Delivers New Microarchitecture."

personally i can't wait for this as hardware wise it will be Nintendo's best machine relative to the rest of the market since the N64/Gamecube. and it still doesn't feel like they've gone balls out on HD titles as there's always been some sort of limitation. Nintendo riding off this momentum with a more than capable machine should be unstoppable. it's amazing that MK8 still looks good today and will be close to a decade old when the new iteration hits. imagine the potential leap in fidelity for some of these first party titles.

Imo it definitely is significantly stronger than the Wii U. I see the Wii U and Switch as 2 ticks in a row. Mariko was the tock, Nintendo just decided not to treat it as such. Drake is another tick.
It’s not really significantly stronger though, PS4 is significantly stronger than the Wii U, but switch isn’t the PS4, it’s stronger no doubt, but not significantly so.

I'm confused now - tick == iterative upgrade and tock == paradigm shift, is that right?
Not what I mean in this sense when applying “Tick Tock”

The gamecube was a paradigm shift in a sense of how games were developed over the N64, but the Wii was more of an evolution of how GameCube games were developed.

It was the same architecture in the end, but it was a shift in how they approached it. The software itself still was within the realm of possibilities of what a GameCube is supposed to be able to handle, sorta. With a Nintendo Wii U, it was a shift from the older Wii development to now HD development and suitable for HD televisions, with the switch it was more of a refinement of that type of development on the Nintendo Wii U. We see it more with the ports but also the newer games on the system.

The Nintendo Drake will be more of a different type of development with things like AI Upsampling, Ray Tracing, etc., in the same vein as HD development is different from the GC/Wii development of software.

Fake edit: after googling, I mixed them up. GC, Wii U and Drake are “Tocks”. But a Wii and Switch are more like “Ticks”, in theory Switch 2 might be more like a “Tick” and it’s a Switch Drake die shrink with a little extra oomph.

Tock- new paradigm shift and target of development

Tick- continuation of the type of development with new features added to streamline or refinement of the process established with “Tick”

I've heard of this before, but there is no "Tick Tock" approach. It doesn't hold up when put under proper scrutiny. The next step is usually determined by whether they feel their current platform was a failure or a success, but even there, declining sales of home consoles didn't prevent them making advancements before the Wii. The more successful they are, the more advancements will follow, because the confidence is there. If failed, a different approach is needed, and the performance improvements minimal - Reason being that they don't want to take on highly-escalated development costs when a successive failure could leave them in a worrisome position. GameCube failed, so, Wii was a different approach with minimal advancements on the tech, and a means of keeping a leash on development costs. Wii was a success, so, the move from it to Wii U was a significant one. Wii U wasn't a success, and neither was the 3DS, relative to their respective predecessors, but we also saw a rapid rise in mobile tech, and Nvidia had been courting them for some years - The Tegra SoC that was pitched to them would see advancements from the 3DS, and be enough for improvements over what they had done on the Wii U. The rise in mobile tech has also meant that they couldn't continue the portable line as "one or two generations behind the home line". Codename Drake will be capable of receiving 3rdP PS5/XS ports, and its successor will be capable of doing the same for PS6/NextXB ports. There is no "Tick Tock". There never has been. If there was, then one would have to identify the ticks and tocks between the NES and the GameCube, and the GameBoy and New 3DS. It's just a wild theory dreamt up by fans, which has never been consistent with their portable line.

I've heard of this before, but there is no "Tick Tock" approach. It doesn't hold up when put under proper scrutiny. The next step is usually determined by whether they feel their current platform was a failure or a success, but even there, declining sales of home consoles didn't prevent them making advancements before the Wii. The more successful they are, the more advancements will follow, because the confidence is there. If failed, a different approach is needed, and the performance improvements minimal - Reason being that they don't want to take on highly-escalated development costs when a successive failure could leave them in a worrisome position. GameCube failed, so, Wii was a different approach with minimal advancements on the tech, and a means of keeping a leash on development costs. Wii was a success, so, the move from it to Wii U was a significant one. Wii U wasn't a success, and neither was the 3DS, relative to their respective predecessors, but we also saw a rapid rise in mobile tech, and Nvidia had been courting them for some years - The Tegra SoC that was pitched to them would see advancements from the 3DS, and be enough for improvements over what they had done on the Wii U. The rise in mobile tech has also meant that they couldn't continue the portable line as "one or two generations behind the home line". Codename Drake will be capable of receiving 3rdP PS5/XS ports, and its successor will be capable of doing the same for PS6/NextXB ports. There is no "Tick Tock". There never has been. If there was, then one would have to identify the ticks and tocks between the NES and the GameCube, and the GameBoy and New 3DS. It's just a wild theory dreamt up by fans, which has never been consistent with their portable line.

Yeah, this. the tick tock idea basically ignores the fact that Nintendo is responding to the reception of their previous products. You can bet that if the Wii U was a success we’d be on another traditional console that was just much more powerful right now. The explanation is top tier revisionist history imo.

It’s just a theory of mine, why are y’all getting so pressed about this

It’s really just about how the thing after the Drake may be something more incremental rather than this expected super leap.

If a "tock" is a paradigm shift and a "tick" is a refinement, I'd argue that post-Switch there'll only be ticking with various levels of hardware leaps. Digital even on Switch has become way too big to ignore, and one of the few upsides of digital supremacy is that it enforces a status quo where if you do not support some form of BC, you will be left in the dust. Because of that, it's gonna be Switches all the way down from now on.

It’s just a theory of mine, why are y’all getting so pressed about this

It’s really just about how the thing after the Drake may be something more incremental rather than this expected super leap.
The tock is a new gimmick. A die shrink drake in a vr headset that can switch to a docked Switch TV experience fits the bill. I very much expect it at some point.

They'll play with VR but I'm not sure they want to make it a subset of a branded console. They tried it with Switch with LABO, it may come back again with the next one. I suspect a die shrunk Drake will just be a more battery efficient version or the Pro Model we always wanted. If rumors were true, they explored OCing Mariko as well but the power consumption wasn't great. With Drake having 12 SMs based on the leak, there's a lot more scaleability there beyond clock or rather clocks would be much lower on the base version to start.

The tock is a new gimmick. A die shrink drake in a vr headset that can switch to a docked Switch TV experience fits the bill. I very much expect it at some point.
I’d love for Nintendo to dive a bit more into VR even if they reuse the same switch 2 chipset and it’s treated as something separate from the main switch line that doesn’t detract from the existent platform.

Take GA10F, make the switch 2.

Take that same GA10F chip and plop it into a dedicated VR headset that appeals for a different market.

Priced differently, looks different, acts different, is mostly different (to us)

Although clocked differently here than the base switch.

They won’t do this, but I’d like something that is NOT MetaQuest

watchmen-tick-tock.gif

A) I always thought the 'tick' was the paradigm shift, and 'tock' was the iterative upgrade
B) If the above is the case, then it at least makes sense to extend it all the way back to NES

NES = Tick = First foray into the home console gaming space
SNES = Tock = Graphical enhancement from 8-bit to 16-bit
N64 = Tick = Leap from 2D to 3D gameplay, analog joystick, Super Mario 64 as genre-defining
Gamecube = Tock = Graphical enhancement from 64-bit to 128-bit, iteration on gaming controller making it more ergonomic
Wii = Tick = Gameplay control is now handled through motion, an entire generation raised on Wii Sports associates the nostalgia of playing bowling with grandparents on the TV
Wii U = Tock = Jump from SD to HD game development, dual-screen gameplay already existed from the DS so it's just further iteration here
Switch = Tick = Home console experience now portable, removable controllers from the tablet console itself
Drake = Tock = Expected to have the same form factor as Switch, but able to output 4K graphics

C) People who say 'tock-tick' to indicate the onomatopoeia of a clock's gears turning rather than 'tick-tock' also use the actual flavour name of Gatorade rather than identifying it by colour and are not to be trusted.

Mixed reality will be the true third pillar device next to Switch and mobile phones, imo.
Already, Switch and its descendants will have a form of VR, I anticipate an official non-cardboard headset for the tablet to slide into and 1080p-1440p screens in the future.

But a dedicated Nintendo XR headset with DLSS + foveated rendering seems too good to ignore. I think they are developing the technology with asymmetrical multiplayer and wireless streaming in mind, since VR can be seen as 'isolating'.

But yeah, I think the Switch hybrid is the culmination of many of Nintendo's experiments. Its successors never have to advertise one feature as the 'main gimmick', it can just be an addition to the form factor.

If you buy a Switch you can choose to play with nontraditional software and peripherals like Ring Fit, Mario Kart Live, Switch Sports, LABO, etc. Or you can ignore all of those completely and still have a good time with the device. Nintendo still gets to conduct their experiments and push new ideas either way.

So, I don't think they ever need to change the 'tablet' form factor again, just pull a Ship of Theseus and replace / upgrade all of the hardware components (kickstand, screen, chassis, joy-con, cameras?, microphone?) and software (OS, eShop, media apps, NSO) or additional forms like a set-top box and clamshell variant. It will still be a hybrid console family in 2030, but who knows how it'll look.

Not that I believe it but if it did release in March I feel like they would have to announce it this year. Otherwise it's January which is not only awkward right after the holidays but really close to the release date (Oled had 3 months between announcement and release).

I guess unless it's a big new console and you don't mind announcing it really early March just isn't an ideal time. Has Nintendo recently got a mid gen console out during that time? Otherwise announcement in Summer for a late Summer/Fall release seems the smoothest for that type of console. That's what they've done so far and maybe we should considerate more as the logical next step in 2023.
I think this is the most sound reasoning.

Be it a Tick or a Tock I’m just looking forward to the games for Drake. Switch is a remarkable system, but at the end of the day (power wise) it’s a souped up portable WiiU. This gen we were denied the “wow what a difference!” factor that comes between generational leaps. With Drake we should definitely be able to see a difference between games designed for it and games designed for Switch.

Nothing Furakawa has said so far has led me to believe that whatever is in store for the future of the Switch will be nothing more than a refinement of the overall product. I am okay with that.

I guess unless it's a big new console and you don't mind announcing it really early March just isn't an ideal time. Has Nintendo recently got a mid gen console out during that time?
The DSi and the n3DS both launched in that period everywhere apart from Japan*

*(and Australia for n3DS)

Not that I believe it but if it did release in March I feel like they would have to announce it this year. ).
There is no chance for it to be revealed before Christmas. This isn't the end of the Wii U life cycle.

But, also, I never believed it was releasing this year, or early next year.

With Drake we should definitely be able to see a difference between games designed for it and games designed for Switch.
Honestly, I'd be happy with faster load times and more consistent framerates. If they improve graphics, but don't fix load times or framerate, I'd probably skip it.

It’s not really significantly stronger though, PS4 is significantly stronger than the Wii U, but switch isn’t the PS4, it’s stronger no doubt, but not significantly so.
we have different interpretations on levels of significant. Textbook says anything noteworthy or sufficiently greater, so somewhat open to interpretation.

Online Textbook definition: Sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention; noteworthy

It doesn't need to be a generational leap in power. I think 2-3x times is definitely considered significant and agree that PS4 is significantly stronger than Switch, especially it will put perform it in every way 3.5x or more in CPU, GPU, and bandwidth.

Heck, At the minimum, xbone vs PS4 performance could be considered "significant," since you will see PS4 outperform in everyway overall. But I won't bore further with semantics. We can agree to disagree.

Nothing Furakawa has said so far has led me to believe that whatever is in store for the future of the Switch will be nothing more than a refinement of the overall product. I am okay with that.
I get the Drake being all in the "switch family," but I'm a bit confused when you say refinement. I can't see it as a refinement like a pro model. Not with that completely new architecture and generation leap in performance.

Something tells me Nintendo is just as uncertain as many of us are on how to position the Drake, considering the Switch is still selling so well.. Yet it's been a while since they had a home console went past 5-6 years, and they have usually stripped off support of new 1st party games immediately after the successor arrived. But Nintendo is aware that the Switch's performance is outdated.

I've said this several many times: Perhaps best way to position it, is as a full blown successor, but give it the PS4 -->PS5 treatment. Meaning cross gen 1st party support for PS4 for many years to come, with some exclusives on PS5 (third party). ATM PS4 is still kicking and getting major third party support at the moment, while it's hard to find a PS5.

I do think Switch can last a bit, thanks to the handheld/hybrid aspect. If Nintendo clearly states and gives 1st party support for switch with the game games for the next 3 years at least--while offering better performance and RT on Drake, we have nothing to worry about.
Besides Zelda, Next Mario game, MP4 and potentially mk on switch. All these games built on Switch first...

Can Nintendo really afford to wait until 2024? I dunno. I am 100% ready for new console now.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd be happy with faster load times and more consistent framerates. If they improve graphics, but don't fix load times or framerate, I'd probably skip it.
Like every console, some games will be well optimized, others don’t.

It’s certainly a ton more powerful, how that power is used is up to devs.

Some will go overboard with high settings and resolution, and you will still have terrible load times and frame rate..

Has Nintendo ever done upgraded versions of previous gen games on next gen consoles? The only examples that comes close is GB to GBC and New 3DS being a "pro" version of the 3DS.

Has Nintendo ever done upgraded versions of previous gen games on next gen consoles? The only examples that comes close is GB to GBC and New 3DS being a "pro" version of the 3DS.
If you count cross gen games like Loz TP HD and Botw.

But even besides that, yeah we got a lot of Wii u ports with better performance and/or new content.

Last edited:
Nintendo did re-release some GameCube games on Wii under the New Play Control line, with updated controls and graphics. Some of the marketing explicitly says "these are GameCube games enhanced for the Wii".

This is not backwards compatibility however, the original GameCube titles would play exactly the same on Wii.

If you're referring to enhanced backwards compatibility, the only other example I can think of is that the Zelda Oracle games and Shantae can detect if they're running on a GBA, and had new color palettes or additional content.

I hope that if SSBU gets an update on Drake that they use the opportunity to add rollback netcode, like how DBFZ is adding it for next gen consoles. That alone would be huge.

Last edited:
If my understanding of it is in fact correct. Like how the 6800U doesn’t have the memory controllers for 5X but for LPDDR5, a 5X wouldn’t work and a refresh that addressed the memory controller to work for 5X (ie the 5X memory controller inside the chip).But this in turn doesn’t let the chip use LPDDR5 memory.
Forgot to comment on the bolded for the readers. Strictly speaking, that's not something that can be generalized. What a particular processor's memory controller supports can be highly variable and one will have to check on a individual product/SKU basis. For example, this Comet Lake laptop chip supports DDR4/LPDDR3/LPDDR4. But this Comet Lake laptop apparently only supports DDR4. Ooh, or another, more recent example, let's look at Alder Lake-U i5 SKUs. 1235U and 1245U list support for DDR4/DDR5/LPDDR4X/LPDDR5. 1230U and 1240U list support for LPDDR4X and LPDDR5.

Oh, yea, I forgot to comment on this back when it came up before, but no, don't expect an SKU to get 'updated' to 'support' higher memory speeds. Memory speed support is a promise/warranty from the manufacturer that memory of this type up to so and so speed will work. Something goes wrong, that's their responsibility. You go over this speed and something goes wrong, that's your responsibility (read as: the common advice is that if you call Intel for support and they ever ask about the usage of XMP, feign ignorance). Anyway, I'd expect that updated/improved memory controller (and more specifically, higher formally supported speeds) would imply a new SKU. If for nothing else but to keep it simple for warranty purposes.

we have different interpretations on levels of significant. Textbook says anything noteworthy or sufficiently greater, so somewhat open to interpretation.

Online Textbook definition: Sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention; noteworthy

It doesn't need to be a generational leap in power. I think 2-3x times is definitely considered significant and agree that PS4 is significantly stronger than Switch, especially it will put perform it in every way 3.5x or more in CPU, GPU, and bandwidth.

Heck, At the minimum, xbone vs PS4 performance could be considered "significant," since you will see PS4 outperform in everyway overall. But I won't bore further with semantics. We can agree to disagree.
Let’s put it this way, there is not a single noteworthy increase from the Nintendo Wii U to the Nintendo switch, point blank period.

New architecture? Yes, newer features? Yes, I’m not denying this before anyone thinks I do.

But largely the switch has just fulfilled the purpose of being a “Nintendo Wii U pro” and is a bit better at doing everything than the Nintendo Wii U.

let’s put it this way, the increase between Switch and Wii U is similar to the increase that the Wii had over the GameCube. Twice the memory bandwidth, more memory too but not “significantly” so. 43MB to 88MB non unified is a similar increase that 2GB to 4GB is. A CPU that is a bit more performant but it’s still very much limited, and GPU that is not sufficiently fed to do what it’s capable of doing but it is twice as fast.

It’s the same position but better at doing the same job. And no one considers the Wii a significant leap whatsoever over the GameCube.

And before I get the inevitable comment, I’m talking about a Nintendo switch here, I’m not talking about the tegra X1, I’m talking about the device that Nintendo presented to you and how they have kept presenting it to you, the consumer, who buys it and buys games on it.

The device has largely targeted a level performance that is not “significantly better than the Wii U“ but it is better in a way where it is good enough to most where they see this improvement over the Wii U, or not.

And please, keep note, I’m strictly referring to the level of performance here. And whenever I referred to the tick and the tock cadence, I’m referring strictly to the paradigm of development. They refined and they moved forward. And it’s just a pet theory of mine. If people consider something like “1.2-1.5 times” (THIS IS FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES) the performance to be significant so be it, but that is such a pathetic increase to even entertain the conversation surrounding that.

And I know someone, some of you, do you consider that to be some significant performance sleep. Quite frankly I do not because it will still look pretty much the same to me. If it doesn’t look like something changed enough or I’m wowed by the change then it simply was not significant to me.

Forgot to comment on the bolded for the readers. Strictly speaking, that's not something that can be generalized. What a particular processor's memory controller supports can be highly variable and one will have to check on a individual product/SKU basis. For example, this Comet Lake laptop chip supports DDR4/LPDDR3/LPDDR4. But this Comet Lake laptop apparently only supports DDR4. Ooh, or another, more recent example, let's look at Alder Lake-U i5 SKUs. 1235U and 1245U list support for DDR4/DDR5/LPDDR4X/LPDDR5. 1230U and 1240U list support for LPDDR4X and LPDDR5.

Oh, yea, I forgot to comment on this back when it came up before, but no, don't expect an SKU to get 'updated' to 'support' higher memory speeds. Memory speed support is a promise/warranty from the manufacturer that memory of this type up to so and so speed will work. Something goes wrong, that's their responsibility. You go over this speed and something goes wrong, that's your responsibility (read as: the common advice is that if you call Intel for support and they ever ask about the usage of XMP, feign ignorance). Anyway, I'd expect that updated/improved memory controller (and more specifically, higher formally supported speeds) would imply a new SKU. If for nothing else but to keep it simple for warranty purposes.
I am aware that silicon can have multiple memory controllers for different types of RAM, but specifically for this context the switch Drake will not have more than one memory controller most likely because this is extra complexity to the silicon. If it only has the memory controller for LPDDR5, it can’t just be swapped easily. The memory controller for LPDDR5 would only work with LPDDR5. The aforementioned 6800u in my post in the post for example has DDR5 and LPDDR5 support, but I only focused on the LPDDR5 because I was related to the context of what we were discussing which is switching from 5 to 5X. 6800u can support DDR5 and LPDDR5 memory, but it can’t support LPDDR5X memory because it doesn’t have a memory controller for that. It only has memory controller for two types of ram.

If AMD updates the silicon to have more than just LPDDR5/DDR5 memory compatibility such as DDR4 or adds LPDDR4X and LPDDR5X, then yes but I didn’t really find those to be relevant for the sake of conversation.

GBASP, late January announce and mid February first release. DS Lite, late January announce and early March first release. Neither of those made any change in software, but I don't think that vetoes that kind of schedule if that's what they really want to do.
That's not really up to the hardware. If it has the capability to make a still image prettier, it also has the ability to produce more still images if that's what the developer prioritizes.

Seems like Toshiba's (Kioxia's) 32 GB eMMC 5.1 chip (THGBMHG8C2LBAIL) on the Nintendo Switch has an active power draw of 477 mW (1.8 V [VccQ] * 265 mA [Iccq]).

As for Samsung's 32 GB eMMC 5.1 chip (KLMBG2JETD-B041) on the Nintendo Switch Lite and Samsung's 64 GB eMMC 5.1 chip (KLMCG4JETD-B041) on the OLED model, those seem to have an active power draw of 351 mW (1.95 V [VCCQ] * 180 mA [VCCQ]).
So, looking at the pdf for Samsung's chip...
VCCQ is for the controller; you'll probably need to add VCC for the NAND itself as well.
Ergo, for the 32 GB, it's (1.7V-1.95V)*180mA for VCCQ + 3.3V*100mA for VCC, or 636-681 mW. For the 64 GB, the current for VCC goes up to 200 mA. That bumps things up to 966-1,011 mW. Current scales up linearly with... the # and size of NAND chips I guess or something? No mention of what temperature these values are for though.

Hmm, oh yea, the Toshiba chip...
1.8V*265mA + 3.3V*85mA = 757.5 mW. So they saved a little power going from Toshiba to Samsung for the V1->V2. Then power draw picked back up again for the OLED due to the increase in size (double the NAND->more current->more power?).
Wait, scrolling down further... huh, 85mA is the max ICC for writing; 45 mA is the max for reading. So 1.8V*265mA + 3.3V*45mA = 625.5 mW. And these are supposed to be absolute max currents, so the implication is 85C? But the voltages don't seem right for that? The Samsung PDF doesn't seem to distinguish read from write. Hmm, annoying; yea, I'm getting out of my depth here.

Edit: Oh, btw, if we just want an easy answer and skip the fretting over details I'm doing above... Samsung's page for eMMC does advertise 0.5 watts. Presumably that's under best case or typical scenario; like say, operating the device at room temperature.

Last edited:
So the end result of the Nikkei article, at least for now, is that it doesn't seem like Nintendo/Furukawa said anything, and it's also unclear whether Nikkei themselves are actually calling no hardware this FY. Is that correct?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom