• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

One of the many reasons I don’t think Nintendo will call it Switch 2 is because they want the “best selling console ever” title. If they go with “Switch 4K” and price drop the other modes to

Lite - $199
Red Box - $249
OLED - $299
4K - $399

Then they have a real shot at 160+ million for the Switch family. There is NO RUSH to leave this momentous hit and huge install base behind. Switch 4K will essentially be Switch 2 to those that care enough to even know what a generation is (90% of customers don’t).
Four SKU's is too many. I feel like this year will be the last we see of the Red Box. I do expect a price drop this year however.

Closing the other thread feels a bit unwarranted to me.
it would have been fine if the OP wasn't just using it to troll others, and the english translations of the nikkei article aren't very clear yet about who said what and what is speculation/fact. it seems significant enough to warrant its own thread so once there's a better report, someone else should make one.

Here's hoping the dooming cools down a bit 😚.

Much ado about nothing as far as I see it:

• Nikkei writes article with info we already know (Furukawa: "components are harder to source ATM");
  • Mochi draws his own Switch 2-related conclusions for some reason;
  • VGC makes clickbait article as they often do, based on Mochi's tweet;
  • Doom O'Clock.

My stance: play Mario Kart 8 today, hope that Zelda makes the FY, enjoy my OLED, keep speculating in the Future Hardware thread.

it would have been fine if the OP wasn't just using it to troll others, and the english translations of the nikkei article aren't very clear yet about who said what and what is speculation/fact. it seems significant enough to warrant its own thread so once there's a better report, someone else should make one.
I don't fully agree with this (OP was being snarky for sure, but I still think the article has value), but I don't want to derail this thread too, so I'll just leave it at that.

I'm not sure why Mochizuki said he couldn't tell who was saying it because if you translate his last tweet which is in japanese, it basically gives nikkei quoting Furukawa saying he is not sure he would be able to sell everything (hardware I guess) even if production was as expected and there will be no new models announcements being the driving force of the term.

WTH. Spring starts March 21th and ends June 21th.
Astronomical Spring, sure, but Japan observes meteorological Spring (as does the UK and most of Europe), and I live in a place with SOLAR Spring which starts February 1st (I mean it's literally our Spring festival and our Summer festival is in May, not like we can just change those dates.).

Nintendo has and can use Spring to mean "any time in March to June", Summer to mean "any time from May to September", etc. etc. Breath of the Wild 2 is probably a March game I'd say; I mean the last "Spring" game was Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and that was March.

Basically, seasons are unreliable, Nintendo is inconsistent, and their different headquarters can obeserve DIFFERENT seasons (Nintendo UK observing meteorological, Nintendo of America presumably observing astronomical). Seasons help nobody with timing, especially when a subset of the Australian population considers Spring to be August to October. 🗿

As recently as March of this year he was saying late 2022 with no mention of 2023, but of course caveated with the “could be delayed” which we’ve been hearing for years at this point. If you constantly predict it will launch in the next fiscal year but that it could be delayed you will eventually be right. Yet some people bought into this so much (for the 2nd or 3rd year in a row?) that they were claiming a July announcement for an October release was imminent despite 0 reliable outlets reporting this.
so you're saying nate was predicting a successor/pro of some sort since 2018? got any receipts for that?

Last edited:
I don't fully agree with this (OP was being snarky for sure, but I still think the article has value), but I don't want to derail this thread too, so I'll just leave it at that.
that's completely fair, and i agree with your point. this news will bring a lot of new people to the thread who might not be up to date on the latest rumors/info/etc. i'm looking for a better article and will make a thread if no one else posts one by then.

so you're saying nate was predicting a successor/pro of some sort since 2018? got any receipts for that?
2018 was not 2 or 3 years ago, not sure why you’re suggesting that. “2 or 3 years ago” was early 2020 with Aula which led to DLSS dev kits which led to Dane and now Drake with no release.

Hardware details are always leaked by developers mining the Switch OS (SciresM), genuine hacks like the Nvidia leak, and hardware / manufacturing sources while the dev kits rumour was corroborated by Bloomberg. The only information Nate offers that others don’t is a date that moves constantly which will keep happening until he is eventually proven correct.

No surprise to hear it's not coming this year. It was always bizarre to think they'd be essentially soft launching a brand new chipset in an already hard to manufacture chip market when they already have a very solid line up of games for the Holiday season and the premium OLED model not even two years old with ample stock of red box and OLED hardware.

These frightening events with China is also only going to make chip manufacture more problematic in the coming months.

Assuming it's true, this doesn't change anything Nate's said up to now. H1 2023 was always part of the window.

I'm bummed because I'd hoped to play XC3 in better quality sooner, but I don't think I can wait until closer to April-June next year.
Yeah same for me on XC3. I may actually look into emulating it as I have an RTX 2080 PC right next to my TV. I take it you buy a Switch to PC adapter so it validates your cartridge or something?

BotW 2 is the main thing I care about. I really, really don't want to play it on the current Switch. As long as Drake is ready for that I'll be happy.

Closing the other thread feels a bit unwarranted to me.
Can I be honest and vent? I read through that entire thread and there were a few folks who previously posted in this thread and either said something unwarranted or to stir the pot, were responded to by other posters with reasonable explanations, and then didn't bother to answer them. And then these same folks are the ones posting "see I was right!" or some other condescending, mocking, variation in that thread.

I find hardware speculation to be fun but it becomes an absolute headache to read when people care more about internet points, being right, or seeming 'logical' through pessimistic outlooks. It creates an unwelcoming atmosphere where we can't just reasonably discuss or analyze the bits of information we do have, apparently we have to be called stupid for it. And this goes in both directions, of course. If you don't think hardware is coming this year or the next I honestly understand, we have all different thresholds for how confident we are in our predictions based on the current 'evidence'. Feels like some folks need to step out of this discussion, myself included..

Come on Nintendo, you have a mega successful system on your hands, the time to strike with more up to date hardware is within the next year even with the chips shortage as long people know better hardware is out there it will continue to be in the conversation, please don't wait until it fizzles out like the Wii

For anyone distrustful of even the more trustworthy of leakers:

Eurogamer / Digital Foundry's Rich said on a DF Direct recently that "obviously" devkits are out - and have been for a while - and that new hardware in the coming year makes a lot of sense looking at Switch's age. Doesn't get much more trustworthy than that. He even was one of the few who kept their heads cool in the 2021 OLED/Drake confusion.

why-disappointment-is-good.jpg

Here's hoping the dooming cools down a bit 😚.

Much ado about nothing as far as I see it:

• Nikkei writes article with info we already know (Furukawa: "components are harder to source ATM");
  • Mochi draws his own Switch 2-related conclusions for some reason;
  • VGC makes clickbait article as they often do, based on Mochi's tweet;
  • Doom O'Clock.

My stance: play Mario Kart 8 today, hope that Zelda makes the FY, enjoy my OLED, keep speculating in the Future Hardware thread.
Many thanks for this!
I’m not getting my hopes up too much of course, 2022 doesn’t sound very likely, but some further clarification on this article will be much appreciated.

From reading the locked thread I think some people need to understand that when doubting this report there's a difference between thinking Mochizuki / Nikkei have unreliable sources (their sources are clearly rock solid, and have always been, more than any other reporter out there) and on the other hand the fact that the man has on a couple of occasions drawn the wrong conclusion from what he has been told.

Unless the president said directly "no new hardware until after the financial year is over" (or the equivalent), I'm not inclined to rule out March 2023 as a possibility just because of this report. Although with the reduced sales projections as further evidence, it does now seem pretty unlikely.

The thiing that upsets me about all this, however, is the thought that without these component shortages we might be getting ready to have this thing in our hands. The devkits being out there so long surely suggests that. And going from playing Horizon 5 on XSX to Xenoblade 3 on Switch is pretty upsetting, constantly thinking how beautiful the game would look on hardware that could handle it. Mobile / handheld hardware needs updating more often than console hardware, imo. It's past time.

still riding for April/May with Zelda here, it's Spring & it's not this FY. if people give this report any stock then the potential release window just got a lot smaller.

From reading the locked thread I think some people need to understand that when doubting this report there's a difference between thinking Mochizuki / Nikkei have unreliable sources (their sources are clearly rock solid, and have always been, more than any other reporter out there) and on the other hand the fact that the man has on a couple of occasions drawn the wrong conclusion from what he has been told.

Unless the president said directly "no new hardware until after the financial year is over" (or the equivalent), I'm not inclined to rule out March 2023 as a possibility just because of this report. Although with the reduced sales projections as further evidence, it does now seem pretty unlikely.

The thiing that upsets me about all this, however, is the thought that without these component shortages we might be getting ready to have this thing in our hands. The devkits being out there so long surely suggests that. And going from playing Horizon 5 on XSX to Xenoblade 3 on Switch is pretty upsetting, constantly thinking how beautiful the game would look on hardware that could handle it. Mobile / handheld hardware needs updating more often than console hardware, imo. It's past time.

Can’t help but feel Splatoon 3 was meant to be out when the Switch Deluxe was out.

If that info is correct I can’t say I’m surprised. Since getting the Oled I always figured it’d be close to a two year gap before the next model. It was only reading stuff here that made me think it could be earlier. At this point I think pro talk has been so drawn out that I’ve lost most of my excitement for it anyway, don’t care much when it’s announced or released. That’s how I feel atm anyway.

i just hope theres not another DS lite/NSMB situation where the big games comes out in May and new hardware (already announced) in June...that was a long month of waiting.

This probably means BotW2 got delayed out of the fiscal year too. Nintendo is surely going to enjoy delivering that news to investors

They already gave it a 2022 date. They never said when in the year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a release month in a March 2023 direct.

Last edited:
Can I be honest and vent? I read through that entire thread and there were a few folks who previously posted in this thread and either said something unwarranted or to stir the pot, were responded to by other posters with reasonable explanations, and then didn't bother to answer them. And then these same folks are the ones posting "see I was right!" or some other condescending, mocking, variation in that thread.

I find hardware speculation to be fun but it becomes an absolute headache to read when people care more about internet points, being right, or seeming 'logical' through pessimistic outlooks. It creates an unwelcoming atmosphere where we can't just reasonably discuss or analyze the bits of information we do have, apparently we have to be called stupid for it. And this goes in both directions, of course. If you don't think hardware is coming this year or the next I honestly understand, we have all different thresholds for how confident we are in our predictions based on the current 'evidence'. Feels like some folks need to step out of this discussion, myself included..
Don’t get this the wrong way, but like you said it is both ways though. This very thread is sometimes unwelcoming too. I mean of course many of us have only limited knowledge of hardware internals, production, sales or even marketing and probably close to no one is an expert in all these topics.

But still when someone says something "stupid" they get sometimes very toxic answers, explanations in a harsh way or just get excluded from the discussion.
And yes many talking points got explained before, but there are new members, people who maybe don‘t follow the thread daily or just forgot past rumors; and let‘s be honest a 400 pages thread isn‘t the easiest way to get a better picture of past discussions or opinions of each member.

Instead of antagonizing each other when someone has a different opinion (even though it is not educated enough or whatever), the other poster can either explain it nicely (or reference a other post) or just ignore it, but then also shut up. Of course this is true in general for every poster/thread :)

BotW2 got delayed out of the fiscal year
No need to beat around the bush.

Quoting the factual part of your statement.

While people worry about the pro, I think Zelda stans need to take their hard pill and accept they aren’t getting Zelda like they think they are either.

Who knows, Nintendo could be bold enough to delay Zelda again if hardware isn’t ready until much later…. Nintendo isn’t afraid to sit on games.

But still when someone says something "stupid" they get sometimes very toxic answers, explanations in a harsh way or just get excluded from the discussion.
And yes many talking points got explained before, but there are new members, people who maybe don‘t follow the thread daily or just forgot past rumors; and let‘s be honest a 400 pages thread isn‘t the easiest way to get a better picture of past discussions or opinions of each member.:)
I'm going to contest this. I've been reading this thread since the beginning and many questions have been answered with reason and empathy. I've asked many questions myself. I haven't seen any instances of straight up bullying or insults because someone is unfamiliar with a topic. The times where I've seen frustrated responses is when someone posts something to deliberately incite such a response ("lol copium" "aren't you guys tired?" "WUST 2.0" ). Also, I don't necessarily interpret strict and blunt answers as 'toxic' or 'harsh', it can be difficult to determine tone.

If you have seen such exclusion or toxicity in this thread, specifically, then I missed it and I'm sorry. But that hasn't been my experience. This thread and its predecessors have not been unwelcoming for me, especially as someone who only does software dev and knows little to nothing about the specifics of hardware dev, GPU coding, marketing, sales, etc. I am talking specifically about this thread because I think the folks here try to keep up an empathetic and welcoming atmosphere, I can't speak to hardware speculation outside of it.

At some point we're going to have to draw the line between the "Switch Now or Never" guys and the screaming at the top of their lungs "Switch Pro is CAP" guys.

We have discussed rumors, leaks and speculation from other entities in the past. Discussing a Nikkei article shouldn’t be a problem.

Do we have a way to read it or get a reliable translation?

Guess I missed most of the shitshow around here.

And the Nate blaming already begun too. How shocking.

I don’t think they did.

Edit - Maybe they did actually. Hmmmm.

That’s up to May right?
It's up to however they want to define Spring, which has covered June before in other releases, but they never specified whether it was Northern or Southern hemisphere Spring either.

But anyway, BotW's delay was announced to a unspecific Spring date before April 2022, so the commitment to it being this fiscal year was killed before this fiscal year began.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom