• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

My problem is that I intend to replace my OLED. I do not want a worse experience while using the device. Despite my consistent hair-splitting about sizing, the actual dealbreakers are the kickstand and especially the display. The Switch's LCD sucked on day one, and I don't think I could go back to it.

I don't want a worse experience in any way either. I think if hypothetically I had to lose the OLED on the newer device, I'd be really damn disappointed in Nintendo. I'd intended on trading up, but that alone might make me keep it as an extra system just for the less demanding titles that I'd never play on TV in the first place. I'm aware that decision is a luxury, and many can't or won't afford it. I hope Nintendo doesn't put us into the position where we have to make that type of decision.

Anyway, this is a speculation thread, and we're all shooting in the dark on quite a bit.

I assure you Nintendo does not give a rat's ass whether the switch is the best selling console or not. What they want is just the maximum amount of money. When they decide how to market the drake they will purely look at what will make them the most money, because they are a publicly traded company and that's what they exist to do.

And let's be honest, if Nintendo calls it a Switch 2, or any other even moderately successor-leaning naming (Super Switch, Switch Advance, etc), they could easily choose to report it in a sum of 'Switch family' numbers along with the breakdown. It's not like Apple has never reported iPhone sales over a span of years.

The only folks clinging to whether it'll be the best selling console of all time or not will be the forums. And even now we're getting arguments that 'it doesn't count' because it's a hybrid / 'Lite is not a console'. It's not Nintendo's battle.

Last edited:
it occurs to me that it's more likely I'm disappointed by design than power

(even though my expectations for both are in the toilet)

And let's be honest, if Nintendo calls it a Switch 2, or any other even moderately successor-leaning naming (Super Switch, Switch Advance, etc), they could easily choose to report it in a sum of 'Switch family' numbers along with the breakdown. It's not like Apple has never reported iPhone sales over a span of years.

The only folks clinging to whether it'll be the best selling console of all time or not will be the forums. And even now we're getting arguments that 'it doesn't count' because it's a hybrid / 'Lite is not a console'. It's not Nintendo's battle.
Yeah, Nintendo reports gameboy with gameboy color despite the gameboy color having tons of exclusive games. They can make it the "Super Nintendo Switch" and still count it in the switch "generation" if they want.

Y'know, this tweet makes me think...

I wonder if Calcio will be released at some point. Maybe Nintendo's waiting for this threshold to be passed?

That's not an entirely accurate summation of what is being reported by Nintendo. Packaged software accounted for 45% of digital sales in Q1. Total digital sales (including digital-only, DLC, NSO, etc...) was 53%.

Y'know, this tweet makes me think...

I wonder if Calcio will be released at some point. Maybe Nintendo's waiting for this threshold to be passed?

Nintendo cares too much about the retail market where they totally dominate any other company to make a digital only console.

Laughing my ass off @ people who unironically think nintendo would ship a 2.5 h runtime switch after releasing the OLED and v2 models (that both average out 4-5 hours on intensive 3d games).
thank you my fellow nick

it is our duty to hope for a better future than most envision

Obviously just a rumor but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. They gave a 3-4 month heads up for the Lite and OLED, mere hardware refreshes, but we're past the usual early Fall deadline accounting for the heads up unless they pushed it to November. A Switch that doubles docked resolution, has better performance, and gets exclusive titles would be a much bigger deal than a usual refresh, so I would imagine the heads up period would lengthen to account for that, but that would put it past a 2022 release unless they really do treat it as just another refresh.

I assure you Nintendo does not give a rat's ass whether the switch is the best selling console or not. What they want is just the maximum amount of money. When they decide how to market the drake they will purely look at what will make them the most money, because they are a publicly traded company and that's what they exist to do.
And they will make more money be rinsing the current user base while also releasing new hardware and drip feeding it exclusives.

The companies American CEO rattled off hardware unit sales stats during a eulogy to his Japanese boss to highlight his uniqueness. Nintendo care a great deal about being number one when it comes to all time hardware leaders.

I get what you're saying. My expectation is a device that doesn't compromise on the experience of using the OLED (the size, the display, the kickstand functionality) while being slightly more powerful. Everybody has their line for what goals a Switch model should have in form and what can be compromised, and my line is pretty high.

I want it to be closer to the OLED battery life than the original, I want it to be roughly the same size, and I want it to maintain full accessory compatibility besides cases. This is my mental standard for a revision to the Switch.

If it's a successor, in terms of having unannounced Nintendo games come exclusively to it, all of this goes out the window for me. It's the new Nintendo, and like the declining battery lives of the previous handheld generations, I'd try to judge it on its own merits.

It doesn't need said that my feelings about these sorts of compromises don't matter, and that my observations about others' feelings especially don't matter. It's just my opinion about future Nintendo hardware.
I think battery life will be something that ebbs and flows based on other elements at the moment in time. It’s worse on the worse node, but has a good chance of being better on the better node.

I think battery life will be something that ebbs and flows based on other elements at the moment in time. It’s worse on the worse node, but has a good chance of being better on the better node.
Yeah, my first post was unfair even by my own wants. I wouldn't be upset by a decrease from the OLED, but I'd still want an improvement from V1.

There’s a huge marketing challenge with this new device. In terms of hardware it’s basically a next generation Switch, but then we have the distinct possibility it will be marketed as a Switch Deluxe.

As we’ve seen on the Playstation side, a lot of people are happy having the standard system with the Pro aimed more at tech enthusiasts. I kinda feel like Nintendo need a higher % of sales to go to the Deluxe model than Sony ever achieved with the PS4 Pro though. This is because the system will likely receive various exclusive games and there needs to be an audience big enough to make these games viable over the next few years.

Unlike the PS4 Pro this new system also isn’t just going to offer resolution increases, we’re looking at exclusive games, as mentioned above, and potentially games with much greater graphical fidelity before resolution and frame rates are even taken into account. With this being being a huge leap over the current Switch Nintendo will also want to recoup costs. This system is in several ways be a bigger jump than PS3 to PS4 was. I can’t imagine Nintendo would consider the hardware a major success unless it made up a very large % of annual Switch sales 2 years or so from now purely from a financial standpoint.

I guess ultimately only exclusive games will drive this hardware to have a higher % of Switch sales than a standard ‘Pro’ would normally have, and I think Nintendo will need to have an exclusive of their own or two to help lead the way so that third parties feel there is going to be a big enough market for their own games.

I think one way Nintendo can incentivize people to go for the Switch NXT over sticking with their current switch, is by making sure that any of the major cross-gen titles that come to both systems (BOTW2,MP4, etc) take full advantage of the new systems power and functionality, and aren't just simple resolution and frame-rate enhancements. If Nintendo can get a game like BOTW2 to look and function with a big enough leap (ex. GTA V PS3 vs PS4), that would go a long way. Fingers crossed for that being the reason why the game is being delayed. I do think Nintendo should have like 1 or 2 exclusive titles first year to help show off the generational difference, I just don't expect the exclusives to be from any of their 4+million selling franchises. Something like F-ZERO or Star Fox could be a good candidate.

Wonder if @fwd-bwd has seen it?

Also “6 months” is January and that seems an odd choice.
It's February, actually. Given that the tweet says "like 6 months", I wouldn't surprised if the number ends up being fudgy and actually means a March launch (or very late Feb).

Wonder if @fwd-bwd has seen it?

Also “6 months” is January and that seems an odd choice.
6 months is February. However, on top of the usual boulder of salt* that should come with these unsubstantiated forum rumors, it should be noted that 6 months was not stated as a known timeline, but rather the poster's rough estimate of how long after this kind of devkit production/release they would expect the retail launch.

*This is a tangent but I've come to dislike using this phrase because it implies a level of credibility that usually isn't warranted. Like, "take this seriously but don't fully buy into it just yet." When most of the time it should really be "discuss this if you must, but don't believe it at all."

It's February, actually. Given that the tweet says "like 6 months", I wouldn't surprised if the number ends up being fudgy and actually means a March launch (or very late Feb).

6 months is February. However, on top of the usual boulder of salt* that should come with these unsubstantiated forum rumors, it should be noted that 6 months was not stated as a known timeline, but rather the poster's rough estimate of how long after this kind of devkit production/release they would expect the retail launch.

*This is a tangent but I've come to dislike using this phrase because it implies a level of credibility that usually isn't warranted. Like, "take this seriously but don't fully buy into it just yet." When most of the time it should really be "discuss this if you must, but don't believe it at all."

I’d updated my post. If we include August since it’s just started, end of January is also a ‘fudgy’ 6 months.

Regardless it implies an announcement in late 2022 and release in 2023. That’s the part that’d surprise me but whatever

This is the post in question. I kind of hate myself for sharing it, but I guess informed discussion about likely bullshit is better than uninformed discussion about it. I don't even know if this is from one of the """trusted""" sources or just a random poster. This could easily be somebody just stating their personal expectations based on other devkit rumors we've already heard.

unknown.png

I’d updated my post. If we include August since it’s just started, end of January is also a ‘fudgy’ 6 months.

Regardless it implies an announcement in late 2022 and release in 2023. That’s the part that’d surprise me but whatever
That's true. Still, I'd expect to be in the later end, as I agree a major console release that early would be very strange.

I think one way Nintendo can incentivize people to go for the Switch NXT over sticking with their current switch, is by making sure that any of the major cross-gen titles that come to both systems (BOTW2,MP4, etc) take full advantage of the new systems power and functionality, and aren't just simple resolution and frame-rate enhancements. If Nintendo can get a game like BOTW2 to look and function with a big enough leap (ex. GTA V PS3 vs PS4), that would go a long way.
The problem with this concept is that they would essentially have to make two different versions of each game, which is an immense amount of work and would probably greatly slow down game development. If first party games are cross gen the main differences will probably just be resolution and framerate. Maybe some higher resolution textures here and there.

This is the post in question. I kind of hate myself for sharing it, but I guess informed discussion about likely bullshit is better than uninformed discussion about it. I don't even know if this is from one of the """trusted""" sources or just a random poster. This could easily be somebody just stating their personal expectations based on other devkit rumors we've already heard.

unknown.png

this doesn’t say “6 months” but rather “after half a year” which is even more fuzzy.

Anyway probably not worth discussing unless we know if the account is reliable

Last edited:
that significant communication? it's cancelled, you can all go home
If I had several contacts saying it was canned, I'd being reporting it. The info I have received in recent days/weeks simply isn't anything I have not said before and doesn't need repeating at this moment in time.

Last edited:
If I had several contacts saying it was canned, I'd being reporting it. The info I have had received in recent days/weeks simply isn't anything I have not said before and doesn't need repeating at this moment in time.
ha I thought about including an /s or something but thought it would detract from it. I think you've been very clear

Simply quoting this post for ease of discussion sake & am in no way commenting on the claim in the tweet itself; but there has been significant movement/communication in recent weeks to partners.
If I had several contacts saying it was canned, I'd being reporting it. The info I have had received in recent days/weeks simply isn't anything I have not said before and doesn't need repeating at this moment in time.
Good to know that Drake is still working on the launch.:)

I think one way Nintendo can incentivize people to go for the Switch NXT over sticking with their current switch, is by making sure that any of the major cross-gen titles that come to both systems (BOTW2,MP4, etc) take full advantage of the new systems power and functionality, and aren't just simple resolution and frame-rate enhancements. If Nintendo can get a game like BOTW2 to look and function with a big enough leap (ex. GTA V PS3 vs PS4), that would go a long way. Fingers crossed for that being the reason why the game is being delayed. I do think Nintendo should have like 1 or 2 exclusive titles first year to help show off the generational difference, I just don't expect the exclusives to be from any of their 4+million selling franchises. Something like F-ZERO or Star Fox could be a good candidate.
Really the only way that you can incentivize people to switch over is by having a cutoff point for the cross-gen period & exclusives for new hardware only going into the future. Everything else mostly just muddies the water.

Simply quoting this post for ease of discussion sake & am in no way commenting on the claim in the tweet itself; but there has been significant movement/communication in recent weeks to partners.

This is cool to read, but YouTubers and bloggers are now going to use this as an imminent announcement.

Yeah, my first post was unfair even by my own wants. I wouldn't be upset by a decrease from the OLED, but I'd still want an improvement from V1.
Here’s a thing, and I’m gonna give my perspective on this because I just find it interesting: I see Nintendo releasing a model that has a poor battery life so later on they will die shrink it and sell it as an improvement which they can afford people to double-dip and buy the new model with the improved battery life and similar performance. While also introducing a revision for the Nintendo switch lite (or switch lite 2) and perhaps a different revision that focuses on a higher performance bracket later on using the perf gains.

Nintendo, or specifically Furukawa, if the switch era has played their cards masterfully in a way that increases the hardware adoption, while not necessarily seeming as though it is overboard. And I expect them to play them cards again.

@Dakhil has noticed it too, and has commented previously that he may way for the revision of the switch 2/pro that comes with the new battery life depending on what it is like on the current switch.

Two hour battery life could happen in the context of a really demanding game at medium-max brightness, I guess.
FWIW based on this list there are at least a handful of Switch games that dip under 2 hours on the original model at max brightness. The list only has ~450 games, though.
Laughing my ass off @ people who unironically think nintendo would ship a 2.5 h runtime switch after releasing the OLED and v2 models (that both average out 4-5 hours on intensive 3d games).
There's no changing that launch models will always have a harder time matching some things later models of a previous generation can manage.

Laughing my ass off @ people who unironically think sony would ship a large playstation after releasing a PS3 Slim and PS3 Super Slim.

Count me in for wanting an OLED-tier battery. I've been playing Xenoblade 3 and it feels like that game takes it from 100% to 10% in an hour on my launch Switch, and now sunk cost fallacy has me waiting until the next refresh

All the data we have on DLSS points to it actually reducing power consumption significantly compared to native rendering.
Do we know how DLSS performs with extremely low tensor core /clock speeds? i think that was the point of discussion late last year as we have no product to compare from. At the time we were still expecting 4-6 SMs and it made sense to turn off the tensor cores in portable mode to save power.

Ubiquity of USB C cables and the dock being a convenient charging station meant I had fewer issues with Erista battery life than I thought I would. If the Switch is not in use, it's in the dock replenishing. Not saying they shouldn't try to improve battery life, I welcome any improvement, but in my personal real world experience that "3 hour battery life" never amounted to a real hindrance.

Asking the real question here.

Do we expect Nintendo to impliment the USBC standard right with drake?

Edit: Impant, what's I get for posting wiseass comments on mobile.

Last edited:
who is expecting that, the only discussion a few pages back is they've gone for shorter battery life in exchange for more power before and battery life improvements isn't a straight linear line up

it's just sad

this thing sounds more and more like a downgrade

maybe I ought to wait until the V2 equivalent
we don't know any of the minutiae apart from stuff like DLSS and raytracing. you might be jumping the gun a little bit.

Do we know how DLSS performs with extremely low tensor core /clock speeds? i think that was the point of discussion late last year as we have no product to compare from. At the time we were still expecting 4-6 SMs and it made sense to turn off the tensor cores in portable mode to save power.
we don't know. we know that Steam Deck and weaker Vega gpus have greatly diminishing returns when scaling past 1080p. theoretically, Drake shouldn't have this problem because it's not sharing render resources to upscale. so there should be little loss of performance

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom