• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Digital Chat Station, a reliable source for smartphone SoC rumours, mentioned that the SoC after the Snapdragon 7 Gen 1 is going to be fabricated using TSMC's N4 process node. If this is true, this certainly doesn't bode well for Samsung.
Does anyone know what the eMMC storage on the switch draws? Or an approximation?

My curiosity for this is that, we can probably have an idea of what a potential throughput of UFS would be within the same power profile range:

“Run smartphones longer, fly drones further, and take VR experiences deeper – without giving up a pixel on performance. With 45% better power efficiency than the last generation, UFS 4.0 is designed to save on power even while it drives extraordinary performance. At 6.0Mbps per 1mA of sequential read speed, users can take your best products further than ever.”

We can probably extrapolate from this.

Literally, if nintendo does not push that feature at the start of the console, and only unlocks it later. (Software not ready, lizensing reasons,...) i dont thin so, but who even knows with nintendo, to many "it would be so clear" moments with nintendo. (like, where are Wii / GC games...) I know, thats the bessimistic outlook, but it would be the reason why i hope it can do 1440p in many games even without dlss.
I'm not sure what you mean. It's not a Switch they flip in the sdk that suddenly allows it or not. Unless they block the tensor cores outright or some shit.

But as always, saying "it's Nintendo" doesn't work when they never did this before. You're just inventing scenarios for the sake of pessimism. It's a poor devil's advocate

So I guess Drake is out of the question if they are going full steam ahead with Oled/V2 Switch production this fall?

The key sentence here is "We will work to delivery as many Switch systems as possible" which means Lite, Oled, OG, OG+ and Drake as the added new system.
Until they announce a new product, they will obfuscate and skip mentioning it in their projections/expectations/management notes. I think those comments are strictly for Switch OLED/V2/LITEs only

There’s a huge marketing challenge with this new device. In terms of hardware it’s basically a next generation Switch, but then we have the distinct possibility it will be marketed as a Switch Deluxe.

As we’ve seen on the Playstation side, a lot of people are happy having the standard system with the Pro aimed more at tech enthusiasts. I kinda feel like Nintendo need a higher % of sales to go to the Deluxe model than Sony ever achieved with the PS4 Pro though. This is because the system will likely receive various exclusive games and there needs to be an audience big enough to make these games viable over the next few years.

Unlike the PS4 Pro this new system also isn’t just going to offer resolution increases, we’re looking at exclusive games, as mentioned above, and potentially games with much greater graphical fidelity before resolution and frame rates are even taken into account. With this being being a huge leap over the current Switch Nintendo will also want to recoup costs. This system is in several ways be a bigger jump than PS3 to PS4 was. I can’t imagine Nintendo would consider the hardware a major success unless it made up a very large % of annual Switch sales 2 years or so from now purely from a financial standpoint.

I guess ultimately only exclusive games will drive this hardware to have a higher % of Switch sales than a standard ‘Pro’ would normally have, and I think Nintendo will need to have an exclusive of their own or two to help lead the way so that third parties feel there is going to be a big enough market for their own games.

Last edited:
I don't think how it's pitched will matter too much as they won't be able to keep up with demand. If even a modest percentage of Switch owners want to upgrade that's gonna gobble up all supply for the forseeable future. and I imagine more than a modest percentage will be lining up for this, regardless of price. Nintendo is in such a fortunate position going into this they can't lose.

If there is one request I have of you Nintendo, it is to pls ditch eMMC on Drake in favor of UFS or something faster than eMMC

thnx.

simpsons-taxes.gif

There’s a huge marketing challenge with this new device. In terms of hardware it’s basically a next generation Switch, but then we have the distinct possibility it will be marketed as a Switch Deluxe.

As we’ve seen on the Playstation side, a lot of people are happy having the standard system with the Pro aimed more at tech enthusiasts. I kinda feel like Nintendo need a higher % of sales to go to the Deluxe model than Sony ever achieved with the PS4 Pro though. This is because the system will likely receive various exclusive games and there needs to be an audience big enough to make these games viable over the next few years.

Unlike the PS4 Pro this new system also isn’t just going to offer resolution increases, we’re looking at exclusive games, as mentioned above, and potentially games with much greater graphical fidelity before resolution and frame rates are even taken into account. With this being being a huge leap over the current Switch Nintendo will also want to recoup costs. This system is in several ways be a bigger jump than PS3 to PS4 was. I can’t imagine Nintendo would consider the hardware a major success unless it made up a very large % of annual Switch sales 2 years or so from now purely from a financial standpoint.

I guess ultimately only exclusive games will drive this hardware to have a higher % of Switch sales than a standard ‘Pro’ would normally have, and I think Nintendo will need to have an exclusive of their own or two to help lead the way so that third parties feel there is going to be a big enough market for their own games.
Yeah if they only wanted to do a PS4 Pro type upgrade, they didn't needed to have a device that powerful and DLSS.

Just a quick comment on this:

GameBoy Color, DSi and New Nintendo 3DS were all positioned as optional premium models at launch and all sold incredibly well.

GameBoy Color, DSi and New Nintendo 3DS were all positioned as optional premium models at launch and all sold incredibly well.

I guess the question I’m asking is how do Nintendo drive Drake sales to be much greater than the usual Pro model while trying to keep it as part of the same family?

Ultimately non of these consoles were the huge leap in tech than Drake will be over the current Switch and it would be interesting to know what % of sales the DSi and New 3DS had of their respective console families.

The Gameboy Color might be viewed as part of the Gameboy family now, but when it came out it was very much marketed as a successor to the original Gameboy. It had its own shelf space in stores with a ton of ‘Gameboy Color’ packaged software alongside it. Of the 3 consoles you mentioned I’d say the Color will be closest to how Drake will be positioned - a successor but not really, honest.

Indeed,

Nintendo has a decision to make about how to position the Drake Switch.

It seems powerful enough to be a "new generation" device, but positioning it at a GBC, DSi, n3DS may make more sense, especially if their goal is to move to an Apple iPhone style model of iterative devices. Maybe they move 100M units of the Drake Switch, but I doubt they sell as quickly as the OG Switch, especially since it appears that cost will not come down for current three Switch models.

Last edited:
I guess the question I’m asking is how do Nintendo drive Drake sales to be much greater than the usual Pro model while trying to keep it as part of the same family?

Ultimately non of these consoles were the huge leap in tech than Drake will be over the current Switch and it would be interesting to know what % of sales the DSi and New 3DS had of their respective console families.

The Gameboy Color might be viewed as part of the Gameboy family now, but when it came out it was very much marketed as a successor to the original Gameboy. It had its own shelf space in stores with a ton of ‘Gameboy Color’ packaged software alongside it. Of the 3 consoles you mentioned I’d say the Color will be closest to how Drake will be positioned - a successor but not really, honest.
Launch BOTW2 with it and position it as a clear successor within the same Switch ecosystem

It's not an alien concept, consumers are used to iPad2,3s and phone upgrades

I think whilst we can over complicate how Nintendo initially markets Drake I think its quite simple and will follow how Nintendo has done this in the past.

They will initially market it as an optional enthusiast model, it will sell out regardless of marketting. They may even promise continued switch support. Then over time they drop said original switch support in favour of Drake as manufacturing ramps up and they can maintain it as the primary platform.

Remember how the DS was a third pillar to the only four year old Gameboy Advance? The gameboy colour was similar too.

Nintendo has no reason to be forthcoming with their plans up front, they don't owe the consumer this level of honesty. It's going to sell out in the short term so they can tell you whatever they want, then in the long term if it's better for them to only manufacture Drake and move forward with it as a primary platform they can do that, even if they did originally market it in a different way.

If their aim is to get as many people as possible engaged in their platform this works in their favour, as they can pump out huge volumes of tx1 based devices whilst Drake volumes ramp up.

I think whilst we can over complicate how Nintendo initially markets Drake I think its quite simple and will follow how Nintendo has done this in the past.

They will initially market it as an optional enthusiast model, it will sell out regardless of marketting. They may even promise continued switch support. Then over time they drop said original switch support in favour of Drake as manufacturing ramps up and they can maintain it as the primary platform.

Remember how the DS was a third pillar to the only four year old Gameboy Advance? The gameboy colour was similar too.

Nintendo has no reason to be forthcoming with their plans up front, they don't owe the consumer this level of honesty. It's going to sell out in the short term so they can tell you whatever they want, then in the long term if it's better for them to only manufacture Drake and move forward with it as a primary platform they can do that, even if they did originally market it in a different way.

If their aim is to get as many people as possible engaged in their platform this works in their favour, as they can pump out huge volumes of tx1 based devices whilst Drake volumes ramp up.
On that note, remember when the Switch wasn't a 3DS successor lol.

Here’s a thought: we have the Nvidia leak that we have been using for the past couple of months, what we have been using to extrapolate from to base our assumptions right?

What if, despite the information being correct, our interpretation of said information was incorrect and it isn’t quite what we are envisioning?

With that thought presented, what would be the most likely config you’d be comfortable with?

They're not talking about either, they're talking about Switch in general.

This is one of the things that lots of discussions gloss over. Even if Drake matches series S pound for pound in docked mode, games still need to be built against the handheld power at some point - just as games on Series X are somewhat defined by the Series S's power.
But given most people are expecting Drake's screen to have 0 resolution improvement over what we have now, portable should have far less trouble keeping up with docked image quality/performance aside from resolution than is the case now. So it seems like something that should be safe to gloss over, unless they actually do do something like turn off half the chip.

Here’s a thought: we have the Nvidia leak that we have been using for the past couple of months, what we have been using to extrapolate from to base our assumptions right?

What if, despite the information being correct, our interpretation of said information was incorrect and it isn’t quite what we are envisioning?

With that thought presented, what would be the most likely config you’d be comfortable with?
Warning : too much thoughts kills thoughts. Stay on the lane 😉

Warning : too much thoughts kills thoughts. Stay on the lane 😉
NEVER!

I want to probe people’s minds and see what they were honestly expecting in some numerical sense.

Or if they can’t give specs, a reasonable idea of what they would expect from the console as if the specs didn’t exist as we know it.

NEVER!

I want to probe people’s minds and see what they were honestly expecting in some numerical sense.

Or if they can’t give specs, a reasonable idea of what they would expect from the console as if the specs didn’t exist as we know it.

I mean, don't we already know this from what we thought before Drake was seen?

NEVER!

I haven't followed the tech too well, but my expectation is to be mildly disappointed; output will be inferior to PS4 in both modes.

I have no technical basis for this, but as you point out technical basis is limited

NEVER!

Drake is basically MarikoV2, same perf as current models but will run at 1W with an autonomy of 24 hours.

I haven't followed the tech too well, but my expectation is to be mildly disappointed; output will be inferior to PS4 in both modes.

I have no technical basis for this, but as you point out technical basis is limited

Technical basis isn't that limited, we have full details about its sisters (the ORIN line.), and a LOT of details about the API from the data breach.

Considering it's also meant to be a 4K device...

Well, I'll just say you probably won't be disappointed with expectations like that. 😅

I mean, don't we already know this from what we thought before Drake was seen?
We had one but it was more like specs and it was a wide range, I’m more interested in what they would have comfortably expected to happen in actual performance/what the system is like.

Technical basis isn't that limited, we have full details about its sisters (the ORIN line.), and a LOT of details about the API from the data breach.

Well, I'll just say you probably won't be disappointed with expectations like that. 😅
This is supposed to be a hypothetical in case the specs we got weren’t there, it’s more of “what would you have been comfortably OK with performance wise for a switch Pro/2”

Drake being what it is, well, it’s that.
Drake is basically MarikoV2, same perf as current models but will run at 1W with an autonomy of 24 hours.
I wonder if that’s even possible 😂.

So around an XB1 in docked mode? It’s only about 30% worse than the PS4.

But given most people are expecting Drake's screen to have 0 resolution improvement over what we have now, portable should have far less trouble keeping up with docked image quality/performance aside from resolution than is the case now. So it seems like something that should be safe to gloss over, unless they actually do do something like turn off half the chip.
Let me rephrase my point, and expand on it.

First, when we discuss the amount of power that Switch.Next will have without specifying docked vs handheld, we've seen time and again that the game of telephone turns it into the handheld level of power. "PS4 Pro" becomes "Handheld PS4Pro" and we're suddenly out of control with power speculation. Digital Foundry specifically mentions battery life being the driver of the power conversation, then folks come here and say that DF is talking about Docked mode not Handheld. When we're talking about the power that the new Switch has without being careful about this distinction, it's like we're talking about the power of the Xbox Series console - as if the X/S distinction doesn't exist.

We talk about resolution a lot here, but what about framerate? Games are unlikely to support differential framerate targets between the docked and handheld modes. If we're talking about whether or not Series S games will run without significant cuts on on the new hardware, the question becomes very much driven by handheld mode's ability to hit 60fps.

Above and beyond that, many games don't just drop res when moving into portable mode. They drop LOD, draw distances, particle effects, shadow resolutions and more. You can get Series S to output 720p right now - "will that be the experience of Series S ports in handheld mode?" is a legitimate question, and the answer is almost definitely not.

This is one of the reasons that I think the power ratio question is so important, and why I think we need to be talking about internal res instead of output res. The question in handheld mode isn't how many pixels are pushed, but how pretty are those pixels. I personally would love to live in a world where resolution is the only gap between the two modes - but when talking about what games will be available with what sorts of sacrifices, I think we need to look at handheld mode as the base.

Reckon they’ll use the release of a Switch Deluxe to drive new accessory sales?

Joy Con Deluxe
Pro Controller Deluxe

Higher build quality, triggers etc.

the problem with various interpretations is that there's not much to interpret. NVN2 asks for 1536 cores and has 128-bit memory. other than assuming those got changed, the only interpretation available is clock speeds

at that, the 200MHz in the Steam Deck video I posted some pages ago sounds pretty interesting. a handheld range of 200 - 400MHz and a docked setting of 800MHz would be interesting to think about

So around an XB1 in docked mode? It’s only about 30% worse than the PS4.

I remember the day Switch clocks came out

we'll have a day like that for Drake

the problem with various interpretations is that there's not much to interpret. NVN2 asks for 1536 cores and has 128-bit memory. other than assuming those got changed, the only interpretation available is clock speeds

at that, the 200MHz in the Steam Deck video I posted some pages ago sounds pretty interesting. a handheld range of 200 - 400MHz and a docked setting of 800MHz would be interesting to think about
No I mean what would expect perf wise in a way that you’d be comfortable with, and for the moment cast aside the specs and assume they are wrong.

What level of performance would you be comfortable with and expect

Reckon they’ll use the release of a Switch Deluxe to drive new accessory sales?

Joy Con Deluxe
Pro Controller Deluxe

Higher build quality, triggers etc.
I could see the new Switch being the arbitrary reason to allow for updated controllers that aren't prone to failing given we still haven't heard much about that class action lawsuit against them for faulty hardware, but personally I'll be pissed if this is what it takes for them to return to analog triggers and there's no possible way to retrofit all four sets of my previously purchased joycons with non-drifting joysticks (maybe? Assuming the new joystick parts can be plugged into the same port the existing Joycons use) and analog-compatible triggers (trust me, ain't no bigger fool than I for even suggesting this as a possibility lol)

What do you even mean? If we can throw nvn2 completely out the window, I’m going back to expecting a much weaker chip, with a more conservative SM count of maybe 6. Maybe we get Orins tensor cores at twice the rate. A78s are still likely. However I do believe we are interpreting the leak correctly, and this is kinda pointless.

Only thing I can see happening is Thraktors post about disabled SM in handheld mode coming true. But we already entertained that possibility.

Does anyone know what the eMMC storage on the switch draws? Or an approximation?
Seems like Toshiba's (Kioxia's) 32 GB eMMC 5.1 chip (THGBMHG8C2LBAIL) on the Nintendo Switch has an active power draw of 477 mW (1.8 V [VccQ] * 265 mA [Iccq]).

As for Samsung's 32 GB eMMC 5.1 chip (KLMBG2JETD-B041) on the Nintendo Switch Lite and Samsung's 64 GB eMMC 5.1 chip (KLMCG4JETD-B041) on the OLED model, those seem to have an active power draw of 351 mW (1.95 V [VCCQ] * 180 mA [VCCQ]).

Y'know, considering Drake hasn't shown up in HOS datamines yet, it makes me wonder...

Will Drake potentially get rid of HOS all together and use an entirely new OS? 🤔
Nintendo could be developing a separate fork of the Horizon OS that's currently not publicly accessible.

Y'know, considering Drake hasn't shown up in HOS datamines yet, it makes me wonder...

Will Drake potentially get rid of HOS all together and use an entirely new OS? 🤔
I suspect that Horizon had to fork internally because of the substantially different hardware, and because of that fork, none of the Switch builds have Drake references. Same thing happened with 3DS, when it was forked to build the Switch version of Horizon. Many of the services are the same between the two OSes, but OS is not in anyway generic, and very much depends on the underlying layout of the CPUs.

Nintendo could be developing a separate fork of the Horizon OS that's currently not publicly accessible.
I think this is likely. The tx1 revisions didn’t change the specs at all. Drake will likely dedicate more computational resources to the OS, and have new features.

I remember the day Switch clocks came out

we'll have a day like that for Drake
Switch clocks were for managing thermals with a 20nm MOSFET processor.

Drake will be 8nm (or less) FinFET.

Unless they're targeting V2 or better battery life and don't want to work on a cooling solution for TV mode, it's just a chip that can run at far, far higher clocks with less heat output. Since that isn't an issue here... Well.

I'll just say again.

You won't be disappointed with expectations like that.

What do you even mean?
Throw the specs out the window and just assume they are wrong for a moment, what would you be comfortable with performance wise.

That is what I’m getting at.

Assume our interpretation of the information is incorrect and just what would you be comfortable with spec wise.

Seems like Toshiba's (Kioxia's) 32 GB eMMC 5.1 chip (THGBMHG8C2LBAIL) on the Nintendo Switch has an active power draw of 477 mW (1.8 V [VccQ] * 265 mA [Iccq]).

As for Samsung's 32 GB eMMC 5.1 chip (KLMBG2JETD-B041) on the Nintendo Switch Lite and Samsung's 64 GB eMMC 5.1 chip (KLMCG4JETD-B041) on the OLED model, those seem to have an active power draw of 351 mW (1.95 V [VCCQ] * 180 mA [VCCQ]).
Hm, then I think if Nintendo were to use something like UFS 4.0 and they kept it within the same or similar power consumption, it can have a throughput of around 1000 or so MB/s. Good throughput at a very low draw.

(There’s a tweet by them about 6MB/s per 1mA fwiw)

This is why I say there’s a possible benefit of them going later and having it operate at a lower power draw, in which I saves energy.

As an aside, do you know how much LPDDR5 consumes in watts? Or LPDDR4 or 4X? Sorry to ask you a lot but you usually have this type of info.

It would be a separate fork of the HOS, but probably be largely similar to HOS to us.

I don’t think they’ll go the route of remaking a whole new OS like Sony did, which they do every generation. But not exactly the same thing as Microsoft which is just the XBox continuation. More like in between or so if that makes sense.

NEVER!

This is an interesting question. With what we know from the leak though, how the chip is specified with its core counts specifically there is only one scenario I can forsee where this could be misunderstood, and that's Thraktors assessment in having GPU cores disabled in handheld mode, I do have issues with this also which I will explain. I'm focusing on GPU here as its the only real known quantity.

So let's say we do have an 8nm chip, using original switch handheld clocks but having only 6sm active in handheld mode. That gives us 768*307*2 = 471 gflops handheld. Then in docked we have the full 12 sm at 768mhz which gives us 768 * 1536 * 2 = 2.359 tflops. A difference of around 5 between handheld and docked. I think the difference between processing in 720p and 4k is around 9 times the power, so throw in DLSS and this may be enough to give us an enhanced 4k switch experience. Would be a huge upgrade still and still the same product we have been following ultimately. So IMO this doesn't change much for me.

The problem I have around this is purely a technical one. The Orin chipset that have different operating profiles that disable cores, DLA etc require a hardware reboot to change profiles as far as I know. Much like using a MUX switch on a laptop to disable the on board GPU. With how software will be coded to use as many cores as available on the GPU I don't think there's an easy solution for the whole moving from docked to handheld seamlessly. Logic could be running on 12sm and then suddenly there's only 6sm available? That is the only bit I can't square, nvidia has some of the best engineers in the world so I am sure they could solve it, but there comes a point where the cost of doing so becomes prohibitive compared to other solutions.

Speaking of which, the proposal of an advanced node for Drake, enabling a 12sm chip to run all cores in handheld also poses another problem but its not the chip shortage, or because Nintendo, its that delta between handheld and docked.

This however is a much easier problem to solve. Let's use base handheld clocks again as a starting point, even though its likely the floor for clock speed where th chip is most efficient will raise. We will use all 12 sm so it's 307 * 2 * 1536 = 943 gflops in handheld. So how do we get that difference of 5 to push 720p fidelity at almost 1tflop up to 4k? We throw more power and cooling at it.

My laptop has a 8nm RTX 3070 at 140w which boosts up to 1720mhz and runs around 1300mhz normally. Now the laptop has more room for cooling and the cooling is very well engineered so I'm not saying you can get a 1720mhz 8nm GPU in the switch form factor. Could we get a 12sm 1500mhz GPU into the switch form factor if it's built on TSMC 5nm? I think with a very well engineered cooling solution and obviously more power for the unit in docked, its possible.

So 1536 * 2 * 1500 = 4.6 TFLOPS docked.

Do I think this specific setup is likely? No. Possible? Yes.

There are chip bin rates etc to consider as well, but overall I think the easier problem to solve is the second problem, rather than throwing however many man years of engineer time at solving the engineering problem of disabling GPU SM during gameplay.

So yeah, I think what the leak says is what we get. I'm about 35/65 on cores being disabled / bigger delta between handheld and docked. Ultimately in power I think we get something in between the two, maybe something made on TSMC 6NM with more reserved docked clocks putting us at 3 TFLOPS docked or there abouts. Maybe it is 8nm and they just run it at 1-1.2ghz in docked.

Either way, we get the same product in my eyes, a switch that runs at 4k in docked mode. The fidelity may change but the product concept is the same.

Wow that new pokemon footage CAN't be running on a switch!
cause it looks like its running on a DS... OOF I'm joking of course...
more like a 3DS

As an aside, do you know how much LPDDR5 consumes in watts? Or LPDDR4 or 4X? Sorry to ask you a lot but you usually have this type of info.
Unfortunately no, since I need access to the datasheets for the LPDDR5 modules to find the supply current value, so I can calculate the power draw since electrical power is generally defined as the product of voltage and current (P = I * V).

they absolutely are

they're not going to let this thing be a downgrade in any sense
This is an interesting point. Worth noting they went with a much shorter battery life when going from 3DS to Switch as the focus there was on power

I think they will do the same and save battery improvements for revision upgrades

They have proven with OG Switch that people will accept sub 5 hour battery life if the rest of the package is strong.

They could land on a higher battery life than OG Switch but I have a hard time believing they are targeting 10+ hours plus power improvements simultaneously

This is an interesting point. Worth noting they went with a much shorter battery life when going from 3DS to Switch as the focus there was on power

I think they will do the same and save battery improvements for revision upgrades

They have proven with OG Switch that people will accept sub 5 hour battery life if the rest of the package is strong.

They could land on a higher battery life than OG Switch but I have a hard time believing they are targeting 10+ hours plus power improvements simultaneously
I think this is a question that falls under the successor vs upgrade discussion

a Switch 2 can have significantly worse battery life, an upgrade can't

No I mean what would expect perf wise in a way that you’d be comfortable with, and for the moment cast aside the specs and assume they are wrong.

What level of performance would you be comfortable with and expect
Going years back (before we started hearing DLSS rumors and such), my best/simplistic guess for a Switch successor was a March 2023 system that would be ~PS4 portable and ~PS4 Pro docked, a bit behind where Switch was relative to PS3 given the smaller time gap.
they absolutely are

they're not going to let this thing be a downgrade in any sense
Why so sure about this? Battery life is one thing they've been plenty willing to let slide over the last few decades. GBA to DS to 3DS to launch Switch, all less than the one before.

OG switch 196 gflops mode was literally a last minute addition, created mainly for botw. So I think the originals 150 gflops mode is around where they would like to be.

Right, so those should be for power draw during 'typical' operating conditions, like 25 Celsius or about.
Referencing my own post here, I apparently found this blog post by Phison.
The chart there cites up to 1.5W for eMMC, 1.6W for eUFS 2.1/2.2, and 1.8W for eUFS 3.0/3.1. I stick with what I said in that post from March; I think that those values are for 'maximum/worst case' operating conditions, or about 85 Celsius. The hotter it gets, the current needed shoots way up.
I wouldn't expect eUFS power draw to be significantly greater than eMMC under typical conditions. Maybe a couple deciwatts at most.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom