• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Designing and/or selling chips, as well as designing software, such as APIs, is 100% Nvidia's responsibility. Factories are 100% responsible for mass production, which has nothing to do with designing and/or selling chips, and designing software.

:ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:

I will do that every week with a French accent and eating « Camembert with a baguette »

WARNING Devil's Advocate approaching WARNING

Just because a die shrunk Mariko or another chip was not in the Nvidia hack doesn't mean it can't exist at Nvidia. The hack was not fully exhaustive of all of their development files.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE WITHDRAWING

But yeah it's silly at this point to believe NVN2 isn't for their next Nintendo product.
Nvn2 is obviously for a future Nintendo product, but we really need someone with exceptional contacts to know it's definitely coming soon, and evidently Mochizuki's weren't exceptional enough. For all we know we might be looking at another Project Atlantis, which was a real ARM based system reported on in 1995 but didn't come to any sort of fruition until the GBA in 2001.
*All my posts should be taken with a devils advocate warning as standard

Nvn2 is obviously for a future Nintendo product, but we really need someone with exceptional contacts to know it's definitely coming soon, and evidently Mochizuki's weren't exceptional enough. For all we know we might be looking at another Project Atlantis, which was a real ARM based system reported on in 1995 but didn't come to any sort of fruition until the GBA in 2001.
*All my posts should be taken with a devils advocate warning as standard
Both Nate and Mochi already leaked initial devkits were out since late 2020, and it'd be unprecedented for devs to get devkits for more than 3 years before the launch of the new system, that alone should tell you it'll launch in the next 12 months most likely. If it launches this year, we will not by, or at, September, if it launches next, I doubt they'd be able to delay it's announcement beyond January.

I will do that every week with a French accent and eating « Camembert with a baguette »
Or foie gras and/or caviar with a baguette? ;)

Although this is not strictly about Nintendo and Nvidia, I do wonder if Nintendo and Nvidia are going to follow the same trend for Drake and/or future SoCs.

Both Nate and Mochi already leaked initial devkits were out since late 2020, and it'd be unprecedented for devs to get devkits for more than 3 years before the launch of the new system, that alone should tell you it'll launch in the next 12 months most likely. If it launches this year, we will not by, or at, September, if it launches next, I doubt they'd be able to delay it's announcement beyond January.
I have said it before but in January Nintendo doesn’t announce things*, they would do it in February.
*in some circumstances they do it but they would need to be ‘forced to’ by conditions right now we don’t know so I wouldn’t expect it

I have said it before but in January Nintendo doesn’t announce things*, they would do it in February.
*in some circumstances they do it but they would need to be ‘forced to’ by conditions right now we don’t know so I wouldn’t expect it
I'd imagine that if Drake launches in Spring, January would give them enough time to market it. Since Drake is probably not launching in June, that'd leave March, April and May. They won't announce it 1-2 months before release, so March would be out, that'd leave April and May. Thus if they announced it in February, they could get 3 months out of marketing for a May release, or if they announced it in January, 3-4 months for an April-May release. That's how I see it.

Nate later clarified it was 'late 2020' that first dev kits went out to close partners.
A 2nd wave of kits went out in the middle of 2021.

So it's a bit less than the 3 years and would be inline with prior hardware launches assuming it launches in H2 2023 at the latest. It also means I think the theory that the device doesn't exist is much less if they sent out wave 2 kits already.

And unlike leaks of dev kits existing, we've heard nothing of dev kits being recalled or the platform being scrapped. The balance of evidence is strong that it's coming soon.

Nate later clarified it was 'late 2020' that first dev kits went out to close partners.
A 2nd wave of kits went out in the middle of 2021.

So it's a bit less than the 3 years and would be inline with prior hardware launches assuming it launches in H2 2023 at the latest. It also means I think the theory that the device doesn't exist is much less if they sent out wave 2 kits already.

And unlike leaks of dev kits existing, we've heard nothing of dev kits being recalled or the platform being scrapped. The balance of evidence is strong that it's coming soon.
They could announce Drake releasing late Q2 23 in February though? Which is what I expect to happen if it is H1 2023

I'm not expecting any hardware announcements this year unless it's releasing this year and so far I'm seeing no convincing evidence of a late 2022 release. They won't announce it this fall and then release it next year because thst would harm their holiday sales by quite a lot. My guess is an announcement in January/February with a Spring launch. Maybe March/April. However I'm not entirely convince this will happen either. We'll see!

29kr9a.jpg

isn't that game bloated with multiple layers of DRM? Which is why it's so slow.
Hmm I’m not sure it was just really, really ambitious and rushed for the holiday period nevermind the PC version. It’s up there with Arkham Knight as the worst port I’ve ever played.

Unity is stunning looking though. An incredible digital depiction of Paris and beautiful (although baked) lighting.

AC Unity is one of the worst AAA PC ports ever :p Steam Deck runs most PS4/XBO games at 720p/~40-50fps with balanced visual settings. If the games are GPU limited (which I think most are) then they should be able to hit 60fps on Drake imo if they have a decent porting budget and utilize DLSS.
You know what? You have a point. If the Steam deck runs it that well for the lower settings, I’d imagine that just tweaking it a bit and optimization for Drake would make it run enough to reach a pretty good state.

Series X|S and PS5 run a few of these at 60FPS now for instance. I think it was AC origins recently which is the heaviest afaik.

They have the CPU grunt to get it to 60 and raise the resolution!

Mostly anyway.

I’m not trying to create a discrepancy, I’m just commenting on information based on public data, that Nintendo takes that path, you only know if it announces it, hence a lot of information circulating may not be reliable, under my concept of analysis. It’s just another point of view. Always try to contrast the information.
I’m OK with hearing a devils advocate, and I think I speak for everybody else in this thread when I say that it’s fine to have a devils advocate, hearing a different perspective/opinion/point of view is always welcome in this type of thread to better analyze or put a foundation of the idea of something that we are discussing. However, what you are doing doesn’t really seem like it is that.

Hmm I’m not sure it was just really, really ambitious and rushed for the holiday period nevermind the PC version. It’s up there with Arkham Knight as the worst port I’ve ever played.

Unity is stunning looking though. An incredible digital depiction of Paris and beautiful (although baked) lighting.
Unity felt too soon. the visuals look like something they should have waited to this gen to do and then they could have done it with RT and saved themselves with all the light baking

By the way.... soon its August. Was this threads fate already decided on? Or for that matter how we handle new speculation threads?

EDIT: my dumbass posted this in the wrong thread

Most likely if the Zelda ports are real I’m thinking that they will have Ray Tracing to offer something new graphically rather than just being a direct port of the Wii U version
Wish granted, but the switch ports will still be $60 and obviously without ray tracing. 1080p 60fps though.

Last edited:
I don't expect the Zelda ports to have RT. that feels like too much work when they already made some leaps prior just to bring them to the Wii U.

but speaking of Zelda using RT, I can definitely see them go crazy with some of the rt effects for gameplay. the only issue is that this would be more fitting for OoT style Zelda than BotW style

I bought an OLED today to replace my year 1 unit, it hurts

I think it should retain a decent amount of its value. Most of us (?) are of the opinion that this new device is going to be priced at least $100 higher than the OLED Model and marketed alongside it for the foreseeable future.

I don't expect the Zelda ports to have RT. that feels like too much work when they already made some leaps prior just to bring them to the Wii U.

It is worth humoring that they'll do something to these games if they put them out again, just not sure what. Have we seen any Wii U releases that were just cut-and-paste onto Switch? I guess Tropical Freeze was close, as Funky Mode was strictly about making the game more approachable, not really added content for most players.

It is worth humoring that they'll do something to these games if they put them out again, just not sure what. Have we seen any Wii U releases that were just cut-and-paste onto Switch? I guess Tropical Freeze was close, as Funky Mode was strictly about making the game more approachable, not really added content for most players.
Bayonetta 2 wasn’t kinda just the Wii U version but with better performance?

depends on how you define "cut and paste". Mario Kart 8 was that until DLC was announced, IMO. I think TMS had no added content? don't remember what NSMBU added

Bayo 2 = 50$
Bayo 1+2 = 60$
I guess being a ‘budget release’ for Nintendo meant that a straight port was justified

I could see Nintendo being more likely to hold to the $60 price and look for something extra to include - maybe visual changes, maybe not. Dual packs and reduced price launches for these titles doesn’t feel likely to me.

depends on how you define "cut and paste". Mario Kart 8 was that until DLC was announced, IMO. I think TMS had no added content? don't remember what NSMBU added

Mario Kart included the DLC from the Wii U game. I didn’t own any of it on the original release. I guess I should have said they’ve tried to include new or packaged content with just about every title. NSMBU Deluxe I think similarly packed in the Luigi DLC.

WW/TP don’t have that type of added content to pull from.

I don't expect it to be March, their forecast is for hardware and software to decline this FY.
FY ends in March, a March launch wouldn’t cause growth in the number of units sold FY22 - in fact if it was a
January announcement of a March launch, it would likely suppress sales for those last couple months.

FY ends in March, a March launch wouldn’t cause growth in the number of units sold FY22 - in fact if it was a
January announcement of a March launch, it would likely suppress sales for those last couple months.
They don't sell much in those months anyway. I'm inclined to say a launch in March would increase sales for the FY but it would depend on when it March and how much supply they can get obviously.

If I can't play Twilight Princess in 8k what's even the point?
TP HD at 8k at 15 fps on Drake

but speaking of Zelda using RT, I can definitely see them go crazy with some of the rt effects for gameplay. the only issue is that this would be more fitting for OoT style Zelda than BotW style

Something like this would be amazing for OoT. HD Textures, 60fps and 4k for OOT. This video as ambient occolusion and depth of field. 2D grass looks kinda off though.

Here's a snippet of RT on OoT 64. Looks pretty damn good

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom