• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Hey Nate, sorry for bothering you, hope its OK to tag you:
SmoggyHilariousBaiji-size_restricted.gif

If you're gonna tag him or any insider, at least try to ask a question that hasn't been asked before. But yeah, Nate does frequent these threads, so there's no need to tag him. Just mention his name and there's a good chance he'll respond.

When I saw the comparison against XBC2 it was just night and day difference.

The most crazy part is that is the same resolution, but the upscale solutions are different.
I did some digging - I'm not a Xenoblade guy (I am very bad at RPGs) - but it looks like you are correct. Base resolution is 540p on XBC3, which is where it mostly sits on XBC2. Considering that TAAU costs more than spatial upscalers, this wasn't a free win. Monolithsoft definitely found some performance - possibly by never trying to scale past 540p into 720p for internal res - to get frame time to run their TAAU.

Considering how hard the previous game pushed the hardware, that's a huge accomplishment.

@NateDrake

I was listening to Jeff Grubbs Podcast and he said he hasnt heard anything new recently for the Zelda WW and TP HD versions, but the last time he heard about them, theye were ready to release etc.

Could these games maybe wait for the Switch revision? I could imagine WW in 4K to be really absurd stunning.
I don’t understand how the revision and the Zelda ports should be connected in any way. They‘re gonna release the console when they are ready, and the only titles that could have an impact on something like this are maybe Botw2 and 3D Mario.
It’s really far-fetched speculation to think that „rumored game XX is coming or not“ has anything to do with this revision.

@NateDrake

I was listening to Jeff Grubbs Podcast and he said he hasnt heard anything new recently for the Zelda WW and TP HD versions, but the last time he heard about them, theye were ready to release etc.

Could these games maybe wait for the Switch revision? I could imagine WW in 4K to be really absurd stunning.
Maybe thesw ports never exists

I don’t understand how the revision and the Zelda ports should be connected in any way. They‘re gonna release the console when they are ready, and the only titles that could have an impact on something like this are maybe Botw2 and 3D Mario.
It’s really far-fetched speculation to think that „rumored game XX is coming or not“ has anything to do with this revision.
I don't think that's what CypressFX is asking - their question is not if Pro's schedule has anything to do with the Zelda ports, but are the the Zelda ports schedule tied to the Pro. The WW/TP ports have been mentioned by insiders for a while now, often in the context of "these are going to sit till Nintendo has a need for them in the release schedule". At the same time, Tantalus has stated explicitly that Nintendo hasn't contacted them about the games at all, so if they've been brought over to Switch, it's been an internal EPD project - and they've been done by something other than the Zelda team, who have kinda had their hands full.

"Are these possibly Drake projects" isn't a completely insane question in that context. I don't have an opinion either way, but I get it

Quoted by: LiC
In my opinion games will only wait for Drake if they are made with Drake in mind (I’m not saying exclusives), if they are Mariko focused games with Drake patches they will release no matter Drake release date.

When do we think the pro gets announced? Should be soon right, since they need time to market it?
If it releases this year it should be in first two weeks of August (3rd is holiday season in Japan), after that I think the chances of it releasing this year are really low and would just focus on 2023 (even if it still is theoretically possible for them to announce in September)

When do we think the pro gets announced? Should be soon right, since they need time to market it?
I think one possibility is October 2022 if Nintendo's planning to release new hardware in early 2023, which is also when Nintendo revealed the Nintendo Switch almost 7 years ago (October 2016).

If it releases this year it should be in first two weeks of August (3rd is holiday season in Japan), after that I think the chances of it releasing this year are really low and would just focus on 2023 (even if it still is theoretically possible for them to announce in September)
Even if it's releasing early next year it should still be announced soon right? I'd assume mid to late next year if it isn't announced by September personally.

Even if it's releasing early next year it should still be announced soon right? I'd assume mid to late next year if it isn't announced by September personally.
If it is Q1 23 as said above October is when it would make the most sense with Nov as plan b. I just doubt a Q1 23 release date

pulling a date out of a hat, April 28, 2023 has a ton going for it
And not March 3rd? A Friday? The 6th anniversary? Before the end of the fiscal year? And gets in the door before St. Patrick's Day, which lands on a Friday in March. (Small in Japan, yes, but not the day to be launching expensive hardware in the US, Ireland, UK, Belgium, etc.)

I don't see them ending March without sales numbers for the Drake.

And not March 3rd? A Friday? The 6th anniversary? Before the end of the fiscal year? And gets in the door before St. Patrick's Day, which lands on a Friday in March. (Small in Japan, yes, but not the day to be launching expensive hardware in the US, Ireland, UK, Belgium, etc.)

I think that's just too early

if for some reason they wanted it to launch this fiscal year I think even pushing it to March 24 would help the timeline

If it is Q2-Q4 23 any Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday during February-August that isn’t a Holiday in USA/Japan/Germany is an option if there is no e3, I wouldn’t speculate around it that much. If there is e3 and it is late 23 it will be shown there

Nintendo doesn't care about anniversaries like that.

The argument is that even if it’s an early next year thing, that a late 2022 announcement risks depressing holiday sales without gaining much.

If it’s a late 2023 release I expect the rumblings of that to start hitting insiders early in the year. I expect H1 2023 until something indicates otherwise

do you think Nintendo Need to Announce the Upcoming Switch 6 months before the release since it is considered almost a next Gen now or is it enough to Announce the console 2-3 months before the release like what they did with Switch Lite/OLED .

and the last Nintendo Direct showing first party titles was in early February 2022 , did Nintendo do that before , almost 6 months or more between 2 main directs ?

do you think delaying the direct that much " if we can call it a delay" has anything to do with the new switch announcement ? i mean maybe they need to show some 1st party games but they are waiting for the right time to show the new system 1st before showing them ?

do you think Nintendo Need to Announce the Upcoming Switch 6 months before the release since it is considered almost a next Gen now or is it enough to Announce the console 2-3 months before the release like what they did with Switch Lite/OLED .

and the last Nintendo Direct showing first party titles was in early February 2022 , did Nintendo do that before , almost 6 months or more between 2 main directs ?

do you think delaying the direct that much " if we can call it a delay" has anything to do with the new switch announcement ? i mean maybe they need to show some 1st party games but they are waiting for the right time to show the new system 1st before showing them ?
I don't think we will have to wait 6 months. The switch was unveiled in October 20, 2016 and released on March 3, 2017. That's 4 ½ months.

Also, the New 3DS was revealed on August 29, 2014 in a Japanese Nintendo Direct and released on October 11, 2014 in Japan.

But who knows what Nintendo will do. 3-6 months is as good of a guess as any.

Last edited:

If this is indeed launching as a premium Switch without exclusives, it really doesn't feel like Nintendo needs very long. New 3DS was announced 14 August 2014. It was released October 11 2014. They could use a comparable window and there's little doubt they'd sell out.

May 2023 is a perfect month and leads into E3 for a perfect showfloor if there is one next year.

1) Announced Late Jan/Early Feb to the world and to investors of what’s happening in the next fiscal year.

2) Media gets their hands on in March/April for their articles about the system, generating hype.

3) Worldwide release in a month that has nothing, warned 5 months ahead, for something to happen. So now May is a month of chatter and excitement but also tears and pain.

4) Lead into E3 for future games of the system and more hands on at the show floor for the other audience. Look at the pretty new system.

5*) Sell 13 trillion copies and become the first cultural reset.

6*) Announce acquisition of Sony, Microsoft, and Apple

7*) Use the solar System to render doom 2016.

8*) Discover how to travel through time space in real time with NVidia acquisition. Create the worlds first Time-Space Cores. Requires an Original copy of Diamond and Pearl that works + a working Nintendo DS.

9*) Nab Intel and AMD too. ARM was an appetizer.

10*) Travel distant galaxies and search for the last Metroid.

11*) Make your own Mira on earth.

12*) Conquer the universe.

Very sensible plan if you ask me.

For the knowledgeable people: this thing will be able to run games like AC Unity, AC Origins, Witcher 3, RDR2 on par with the PS4’s 1080p/30fps before DLSS.

Would Drake be able to achieve 60fps solidly on any of these? I’m sure it would require a drop in res - 720p/60 feasible? Maybe 600p - and then DLSS could still get some decently high results from 600p?

I’d guess it could get 60fps on a lot of these at 540p but not sure how well DLSS could take it to 1440p+

If this is indeed launching as a premium Switch without exclusives, it really doesn't feel like Nintendo needs very long. New 3DS was announced 14 August 2014. It was released October 11 2014. They could use a comparable window and there's little doubt they'd sell out.
i don't think we will see exclusives first party titles for the new console at least for a year , but from 3rd party i guess we will see exclusives .

i have a feeling we will see big 3rd party titles for the new switch especially from Japanese developers , like RE4 Remake , SF VI , FF VII Remake , Elden Ring .. if it is easy enough for 3rd party to release ports of such titles to the upcoming switch.

and if it is enough to announce the new system 2-3 months from release then there is a chance to hear about it this September/October and start selling in December ...
but then again , i think it make more sense to release the new system with Zelda , and if thats the case we will mostly not hear anything about the new switch from Nintendo in 2022 , especially if Nintendo don't want to affect Black Friday/ Xmas Sales if they Reveal the new system few weeks before the hot season.

May 2023 is a perfect month and leads into E3 for a perfect showfloor if there is one next year.

1) Announced Late Jan/Early Feb to the world and to investors of what’s happening in the next fiscal year.

2) Media gets their hands on in March/April for their articles about the system, generating hype.

3) Worldwide release in a month that has nothing, warned 5 months ahead, for something to happen. So now May is a month of chatter and excitement but also tears and pain.

4) Lead into E3 for future games of the system and more hands on at the show floor for the other audience. Look at the pretty new system.

5*) Sell 13 trillion copies and become the first cultural reset.

6*) Announce acquisition of Sony, Microsoft, and Apple

7*) Use the solar System to render doom 2016.

8*) Discover how to travel through time space in real time with NVidia acquisition. Create the worlds first Time-Space Cores. Requires an Original copy of Diamond and Pearl that works + a working Nintendo DS.

9*) Nab Intel and AMD too. ARM was an appetizer.

10*) Travel distant galaxies and search for the last Metroid.

11*) Make your own Mira on earth.

12*) Conquer the universe.

Very sensible plan if you ask me.
i can sense a tiny bit of exaggerations in some of your points ^__^

For the knowledgeable people: this thing will be able to run games like AC Unity, AC Origins, Witcher 3, RDR2 on par with the PS4’s 1080p/30fps before DLSS.

Would Drake be able to achieve 60fps solidly on any of these? I’m sure it would require a drop in res - 720p/60 feasible? Maybe 600p - and then DLSS could still get some decently high results from 600p?

I’d guess it could get 60fps on a lot of these at 540p but not sure how well DLSS could take it to 1440p+
The CPU and GPU might be able to handle that fine. But I don’t think this has sufficient memory bandwidth to do that. Mind you, it’ll have to cut back on settings if it is gonna alternate between docked and portable mode anyway.

The problem with all those games on the PS4 was mostly CPU related, the CPU part shouldn’t be an issue for Drake if going against that system.

And while GPU it should be more than fine, the memory bandwidth is lower. Of course, it’s more efficient than the PS4, but still. Then again, Ampere vs GCN is really hard to compare… bandwidth wise.

In my uneducated, I-am-not-a-game-dev eye, I think for RDR2, it can do 720-900p with 40-60FPS and require more optimization done to it to work at a locked number than what the Steam Deck has which is 0.

But also, look at the Steam deck do it:

Here’s Witcher 3:

AC Unity is worse ish:

AC Origins:

As you can see, if the Steam Deck which is @ PS4 in GPU perf does that. You can probably get an idea what an actual console like Drake would get. Give or take.

i think it make more sense to release the new system with Zelda

I've said my piece a few times on why Zelda won't launch before this system, but there's no need whatsoever to launch on the same day.

I get that it's a very tidy, pattern-satisfying choice to try to repeat 2017's timings, but unlike Switch in 2017, Nintendo does not need something as monumental as Breath of the Wild (2) to set the stage and pull in customers for a new device. H2 this year has a very good line-up, and we probably haven't seen everything yet.

Zelda could end up getting another delay, from Spring to early Summer 2023 for instance. Hardware isn't going continue* to follow Zelda - it's releasing when it's ready and will not be subject to the same delays.

*Edit:
If you believe it's following it into 2023 in the first place. I believe at least at some point the hardware would have been 2022 due to Zelda's original date, and if it's 2023 now it's due to independent reasons.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of reaches to justify the non-existence of WWHD and TPHD but anything to do with the new model is the reachiest reach of all. Face it, those rumors are just the replacement for "Nintendo is sitting on a finished port of Prime Trilogy."

I don't think that's what CypressFX is asking - their question is not if Pro's schedule has anything to do with the Zelda ports, but are the the Zelda ports schedule tied to the Pro. The WW/TP ports have been mentioned by insiders for a while now, often in the context of "these are going to sit till Nintendo has a need for them in the release schedule". At the same time, Tantalus has stated explicitly that Nintendo hasn't contacted them about the games at all, so if they've been brought over to Switch, it's been an internal EPD project - and they've been done by something other than the Zelda team, who have kinda had their hands full.

"Are these possibly Drake projects" isn't a completely insane question in that context. I don't have an opinion either way, but I get it
Although I don't believe the rumors, I also don't believe WWHD and/or TPHD can't happen, and Tantalus not being approached for TPHD doesn't really affect that. What Tantalus did for TPHD and SSHD was not merely porting but remastering the games, with updated models and textures in addition to gameplay changes and even some new content. If WWHD or TPHD were to come to Switch they would probably just be straight ports, and Tantalus isn't needed for that -- Nintendo can have anyone do it. If they want another project from Tantalus it will probably be another new remaster.

The argument is that even if it’s an early next year thing, that a late 2022 announcement risks depressing holiday sales without gaining much.

If it’s a late 2023 release I expect the rumblings of that to start hitting insiders early in the year. I expect H1 2023 until something indicates otherwise
I honestly hate the idea that a H2/late 2023 release or even reveal is still a possibility, even though it's quite unlikely right?
I've been progressively taken Spring 2023 (at the latest) for granted as it'd be tied with BotW 2, but maybe that's a bit unreasonable :(

I honestly hate the idea that a H2/late 2023 release or even reveal is still a possibility, even though it's quite unlikely right?
I've been progressively taken Spring 2023 (at the latest) for granted as it'd be tied with BotW 2, but maybe that's a bit unreasonable :(
As unpredictable as the state of the world is, you shouldn’t get to attached to any release timing rumour. Cause even if it’s 100% legit, for another covid shutdown or whatever could upend it.

Or some small component raw materials is affected by sanctions or whatever.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom