• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

If the only reason Nintendo does not acknowledge the Switch 2 is to sell a bit more Switch units this year, that is a pretty pathetic reasoning. I don't think Sony would ever not announce they plan to release new hardware to their investors to ''save'' holiday sales of their current console, you can't be that shortsighted as a hardware maker.

It comes a time when you just have to move on as a company, regardless if it have short term negative implications for hardware sales. It feels like Nintendo will move so late in announcing Switch 2 that the first time people will see it will be from a chinese factory worker taking a picture, and it will be entirely Nintendo's own fault if that happens.

Someday we will all be happy touching our Switch 2's, sticking magnetic Joycons on our fridges, loving awesome Switch 2 games of your dreams and we will all learn to forgive and forget the angst we have towards one another and learn to embrace the love and harmony of fellowship and friendship. Switch 2 is love. Switch 2 is life. Just a few more years to wait! :)

Someday we will all be happy touching our Switch 2's, sticking magnetic Joycons on our fridges, loving awesome Switch 2 games of your dreams and we will all learn to forgive and forget the angst we have towards one another and learn to embrace the love and harmony of fellowship and friendship. Switch 2 is love. Switch 2 is life. Just a few more years to wait! :)
My Switch 2 could be over in few years. Accidents happen, and sometimes people just become cold hearted.

Kevin is spitting facts!!

dune-dune-kiss.gif

We been dealing with this switch pro/switch 2 talk since about 2019, people have the right to be angry about Nintendo being all secretive and keeping their cards way too close to their chest for comfort, on paper this next Switch sounds like the most perfect device for Nintendo fans but also we are tired of hearing about said device from everyone but Nintendo. Also if anyone here had other hobbies they would not be in a video game forum 💀

We been dealing with this switch pro/switch 2 talk since about 2019, people have the right to be angry about Nintendo being all secretive and keeping their cards way too close to their chest for comfort, on paper this next Switch sounds like the most perfect device for Nintendo fans but also we are tired of hearing about said device from everyone but Nintendo. Also if anyone here had other hobbies they would not be in a video game forum 💀
but this is our fault lol. It's our choice to be this invested like...come on.
If the only reason Nintendo does not acknowledge the Switch 2 is to sell a bit more Switch units this year, that is a pretty pathetic reasoning. I don't think Sony would ever not announce they plan to release new hardware to their investors to ''save'' holiday sales of their current console, you can't be that shortsighted as a hardware maker.

It comes a time when you just have to move on as a company, regardless if it have short term negative implications for hardware sales. It feels like Nintendo will move so late in announcing Switch 2 that the first time people will see it will be from a chinese factory worker taking a picture, and it will be entirely Nintendo's own fault if that happens.
like it's gonna matter in the end.

The anger, the anxiety, the depression, the swearing and feelings of doom and gloom will all vanish like the Xbox hardware sales when Nintendo finally announces this system and shows off some incredibly awesome games we all are salivating over and dreaming of the possibilities for. We will all forgive and forget with arms wide open when Nintendo gives us great wonderful things to buy. 🙏

Maybe I’ll forgive.
But forget?…nevah!

The anger, the anxiety, the depression, the swearing and feelings of doom and gloom will all vanish like the Xbox hardware sales when Nintendo finally announces this system and shows off some incredibly awesome games we all are salivating over and dreaming of the possibilities for. We will all forgive and forget with arms wide open when Nintendo gives us great wonderful things to buy. 🙏
nah, not me. I'm gonna laugh at all yall

Well my Ninfreiendos, I must start a long hard work shift at, "The Job" perhaps I will be back later with serenading words of wisdom and love later on.

Remember: I love each and every one of you lovely people. Yes even the handful of folks who despise me so much they refuse to interact with me on here and have only crapped on my posts and my opinions. I LOVE YOU TOO! 👍

This thread is funny, even though I don't follow the developments as much as I did with the Wii U, this seems more tame than the Wii U and NX days. Those days were wild and the speculation and trees were crazy times. I guess I'm just speculating but I haven't seen anything nearly as wild as the tree debate

Kind of miss those days tho. When I had all the time in the world to speculate.

Last edited:
I dont even want a full blown reveal i just want a simple one sentence statement confirming it exists but nah this won't ever be forgotten, to the point where If the rumors about a Switch 2 Pro or Switch 3 start then I'm not even going to entertain them and try to mind my own business

This thread is funny, even though I don't follow the developments as much as I did with the Wii U, this seems more tame than the Wii U and NX days. Those days were wild and the speculation and trees were crazy times. I guess I'm just speculating but I haven't seen anything nearly as wild as the tree debate

Kind of miss those days tho. When I had all the time in the world to speculate.
I think if it wasn't for the leaks, we would have been as wild or even wilder than before.

No, this thread is gonna be speculating about the Switch 2 pro lol.

I dont even want a full blown reveal i just want a simple one sentence statement confirming it exists but nah this won't ever be forgotten, to the point where If the rumors about a Switch 2 Pro or Switch 3 start then I'm not even going to entertain them and try to mind my own business
I also said that after the NX wild ride, yet here I am

Gamers are some of the biggest drama queens there are, so I have my doubts lol. There's always something new to hand wring about!

I absolutely don't see what is wrong with such a strategy. I think it is very logical and I genuinely cannot see why it would be 'pathetic' or 'shortsighted'.

Huh? His conduct was horrible. It has nothing to do with which side of the speculation he was on. Read the ban reason.

I mean, there were plenty on same side as him. Why do you think only he was banned and others weren't?
I don't know. I only read his first post about straitjackets and ignored the rest. Didn't know it was that bad.

Everyone we might have had a bad day, but let’s remember with delusion there is hope.
We still have the acknowledgement next week, October reveal and January presentation.

Let’s please not redo 2016, since this time and the past are two different things, does it suck that Nintendo hasn’t acknowledged and release the Switch 2, yes

But let us remember we have Nvidia, new leadership and hopefully a good first year with full of exclusives.

But that’s my take on the matter.

star-wars-clone-wars.gif
I still believe Pyoro meant both NWC and Switch news coming. Still standing on that side of the shore.

Good morning guys, went to bed last night after watching the new episode of Danjon Meshi(The English translation should be Delicious in Dungeon).Keep up the routine .Just make sure you don't die a sudden death before switch2 is released 🤣

Sony would not only not try to save sales of their current console, they would drastically cut production and have possibly (hard to say with sparse PS3 data) their worst year of hardware sales of the century leading up to the next thing. But I'm not sure I'd call that a great forward-thinking move.

The only thing we can really do is now wait , you know the same thing we did for November meeting and was told to wait until the February meeting and after that the May meeting coming up next week, don't think I have the tolerance to be told to wait until the late June meeting 😬

It's kinda funny that the closest thing of a pro model is the Switch Oled, since it was originally meant to be the pro model and it also came with HDMI 2.0 rumoured DLSS 2 and 8GB ram and wasn't there a rumor of a custom pro switch chip, which was in development.

Sometime it makes me wonder if all the Developers who were making games for it, just moved to the Switch 2. (in early stage of development) It also bring the question if Nintendo worked on some patches for certain switch games for the pro model, which we might see on the Switch 2.

But at the end the Switch somehow still kept selling unfathomable amount of hardware.

without the Nvidia leak, but the Gamescom leak, I think my expectations would be almost the same.
  • fast loading for zelda means there would still be faster memory. ufs would still be the expectaton
  • runs the matrix demo, with recent UE5.4 updates, it would make a lower core count feasible still
  • 4K output support would still be an expectation, though a much lower emphasis
if Dictator is still doing a UE5.4 update video, we might be able to see how much better the matrix runs, especially on steam deck. so anyone who predicted 768 cores or 1024 cores would still in the ballpark. question would be how much ram since RT is still memory hungry

without the Nvidia leak, but the Gamescom leak, I think my expectations would be almost the same.
  • fast loading for zelda means there would still be faster memory. ufs would still be the expectaton
  • runs the matrix demo, with recent UE5.4 updates, it would make a lower core count feasible still
  • 4K output support would still be an expectation, though a much lower emphasis
if Dictator is still doing a UE5.4 update video, we might be able to see how much better the matrix runs, especially on steam deck. so anyone who predicted 768 cores or 1024 cores would still in the ballpark. question would be how much ram since RT is still memory hungry
So before the nvidia leak, the thread thought switch2 only had 1024cuda?

So before the nvidia leak, the thread thought switch2 only had 1024cuda?
Before the leak, we were expecting a pro with ~2021 release and 8nm according to kopite.

The more optimistic were saying 8 SM, while others were questioning that it sounded too power hungry and expecting 4 or 6 SMs at best.

Funnily enough, the people who considered 8 SMs too much are now treated as the optimistic ones for thinking 12 SMs in 8nm is even more unlikely.

Toto Take, similar to what some already expect, they can just weasel their way out of any questions haha

I'm personally expecting something like this

But surprisingly i can't seem to find anything related to the NX in any of the investors meeting, but with the Switch 2 being a successor, we might see a piece of paper announcing in May 7th,

Edit: there is always a chance of it being in a direct, since the Wii U and 3DS acknowledgement were at a different time culturally and the way how Summer was seen as a bigger thing for announcement and unveils. Since we have more digital showcases instead

I think in regards to the hardware internals of the Switch successor, I'm having a hard time with setting expectations. There are what I feel to be two camps.

Camp 1: This system is a monster. Series S capabilities + DLSS and better raytracing support. Those GDC rumors from last year of the Matrix tech demo running on Switch 2 specs and looking comparable to the PS5 version (also 4K/60 BOTW with zero load times) would certainly suggest it would need to be very beefy to run this well. There were even reports that the lighting looked even better then PS5 versions.

Camp 2: System isn't even on par with a Steam Deck or PS4 base model but does feature DLSS. Digital Foundry definitely deflated the hype with their speculation video but of course they could only use off the shelf components and a lot of guessing. No on the market handheld seem capable of the Xbox Series S visuals (at least as far as I'm aware). Especially at a $400 price point.

Like I'm leaning towards this thing basically being a base PS4 but with DLSS capabilities but at the same time there is no way that Matrix demo would run on such weak hardware. Digital Foundry said they couldn't even get it to boot on their test system.

So yeah. I have no idea where I should place my expectations. Nintendo hasn't targeted higher end specs in decades though and so I'm kind of leaning toward the system being a lot lower powered then we are all hoping for. Maybe a base 2013 PS4 (in terms of raw power) but with DLSS and a few other modern features sets.

So what do all of you guys think? Will Switch 2 be a monster with Xbox Series S levels of power plus DLSS and raytracing or will the Switch 2 be more closer to a base PS4 or Steam Deck with DLSS?

Are you Camp 1 or Camp 2? Seriously I have no idea what to expect anymore lol. [Looking for docked performance estimates only]

Last edited:
@Kevin Switch 2 being base PS4 in terms of power seems very impressive given the kind of games that system put out. Look at the last of us 2.

Plus the Switch 2 will have more modern features like dlss and raytracing.

I think in regards to the hardware internals of the Switch successor, I'm having a hard time with setting expectations. There are what I feel to be two camps.

Camp 1: This system is a monster. Series S capabilities + DLSS and better raytracing support. Those GDC rumors from last year of the Matrix tech demo running on Switch 2 specs and looking comparable to the PS5 version (also 4K/60 BOTW with zero load times) would certainly suggest it would need to be very beefy to run this well. There were even reports that the lighting looked even better then PS5 versions.

Camp 2: System isn't even on par with a Steam Deck or PS4 base model but does feature DLSS. Digital Foundry definitely deflated the hype with their speculation video but of course they could only use off the shelf components and a lot of guessing. No on the market handheld seem capable of the Xbox Series S visuals (at least as far as I'm aware). Especially at a $400 price point.

Like I'm leaning towards this thing basically being a base PS4 but with DLSS capabilities but at the same time there is no way that Matrix demo would run on such weak hardware. Digital Foundry said they couldn't even get it to boot on their test system.

So yeah. I have no idea where I should place my expectations. Nintendo hasn't targeted higher end specs in decades though and so I'm kind of leaning toward the system being a lot lower powered then we are all hoping for. Maybe a base 2013 PS4 (in terms of raw power) but with DLSS and a few other modern features sets.

So what do all of you guys think? Will Switch 2 be a monster with Xbox Series S levels of power plus DLSS and raytracing or will the Switch 2 be more closer to a base PS4 or Steam Deck with DLSS?

Are you Camp 1 or Camp 2? Seriously I have no idea what to expect anymore lol.
Neither, because df also mentioned that Nintendo custom hardware is not something that can be simply applied to x86 hardware measurements, and predictably looking at just paper floating point data switch2 will only be at the level of ps4 and ps4+, however that conclusion ignores too many things.
Like the switch, the device's performance is that of a 7th gen console (x360), yet all of its first party game resolutions and rendering techniques actually surpass the x360 and are on the same standard as 8th gen in terms of rendering techniques.

Are you Camp 1 or Camp 2? Seriously I have no idea what to expect anymore lol.
These are not entirely different camps, there is a significant ( ~ 2X) performance gulf between handheld and TV mode. Half of "nearly a Series S" is "basically a PS4" in terms of FLOP performance. Both are very likely true; one of these describes TV Mode, the other Handheld and Tabletop.

DLSS is its own can of worms where you can say silly things like, it has an "effective" performance above PS5 because in scenes with PS5 rendering 4K natively, NG Switch can use "only" 720p and upscale to 4K, using a third the performance to render one ninth the pixels, making it appear even stronger. That's nonsense in a whole bunch of ways, but like, you can say silly things like that based on real things, so we have an idea of a system "cheating" its way into trading blows.

@Kevin Switch 2 being base PS4 in terms of power seems very impressive given the kind of games that system put out. Look at the last of us 2.

Plus the Switch 2 will have more modern features like dlss and raytracing.
Yeah, like at these images.
god-of-war-father-son-en-18may21

sotc_ps4_1-1200x675.jpg

ghost-of-tsushima-ps4-4k-screenshots_vs1n.jpg

the-last-of-us-part-2.jpg

All Ps4 games and that doesn’t include that the Switch 2 will have RT, DLSS and a better CPU compare to the Ps4 jaguar.

Iike when you say it’s similar to the Ps4 it’s kinda underselling how the Switch 2 is pretty much a ps4 with NG infrastructure, kinda like how the Switch uses ps4/Xbox one techniques and some infrastructure I think.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom