• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Something that hasn't been talked about much has been the network adapter of the Switch 2, as the networking capabilities of the Switch are downright terrible. I have 1 Gbps internet connection and have never been able to get more than 60 Mbps download speed on my Switch when connected over ethernet, and the WiFi is even worse.

I know WiFi 7 is probably out of the question, but I feel like the Switch 2 really needs to have WiFi 6E at the very least. 6E offers the 6 Ghz band which provides significantly more bandwidth and less interference. It really feels like this should be the minimum for a console designed to last beyond 2030.

If it ain't a social button, I dunno what it could be. But ultimately, I really would like Nintendo to make a Stereoscopic 3D or VR headset, and with the press of that button, it connects and streams the gameplay to the headset.
But we haven't heard of something of any kind of headset, only that they showed a patent in late 2022.
I really believe that it will be a third party accessory. I think we will have two type of VR set. 1, that's like Labo and allows devs to go into VR mode. I think Nintendo wanted devs to take advantage of it but never did. The second is have a separate display and insert the Switch in like a NES or VCR and it will use a 4K screen and games that are PS4 level and below uses DLSS to reach 4k.

Something that hasn't been talked about much has been the network adapter of the Switch 2, as the networking capabilities of the Switch are downright terrible. I have 1 Gbps internet connection and have never been able to get more than 60 Mbps download speed on my Switch when connected over ethernet, and the WiFi is even worse.

I know WiFi 7 is probably out of the question, but I feel like the Switch 2 really needs to have WiFi 6E at the very least. 6E offers the 6 Ghz band which provides significantly more bandwidth and less interference. It really feels like this should be the minimum for a console designed to last beyond 2030.
if I remember correctly, this was a cpu issue. it's why downloads are faster when you're system is in sleep mode

Just doing a quick search for the Tegra Orin chips, they all support 1 Gigabit Internet out of the box, with some versions supporting up to 10 Gig, but that's now considered standard these days.

Considering the Switch currently supports Wifi 5, which has been around since 2014, you can bet Wifi 6 at the minimum will be supported. The question will be if it'll support Wifi 6E, though considering that's been out since 2020, I think it's likely given T239 was taped out in 2022.

Networking and downloads capabilities will depend on a lot more things than a newer standard. Antenna positioning, improvements at CDN back-end, better CPU and faster Storage. All of these needs to be in sync to deliver a gigantic leap in network experience.

But at minimum, Switch 2 will be much better with regards to network than Switch ever was. Can't guarantee that it will be able to take advantage of 1GBps connections though, as even the PS5 and XSX seems to cap around 400Mb/s download speeds (Due to CDN I assume)

Just doing a quick search for the Tegra Orin chips, they all support 1 Gigabit Internet out of the box, with some versions supporting up to 10 Gig, but that's now considered standard these days.

Considering the Switch currently supports Wifi 5, which has been around since 2014, you can bet Wifi 6 at the minimum will be supported. The question will be if it'll support Wifi 6E, though considering that's been out since 2020, I think it's likely given T239 was taped out in 2022.
The bigger question is, will it have a good enough Wi-Fi antenna to make it worth it in the first place.

I mean... WiFi 5 supports 400/1300 Mbit/s.

The problem is not the standard. You can find crappy WiFi 6 devices as well.

Nobody would have a problem if switch comes 3/4 of it's theoretical capabilities of wifi5 (~300Mbit/s), cause then you are at the point where I'm not sure if the servers support it.

Wifi6 is a given, WiFi 7 is probably to fresh.

all this talk about AI assistants, but a gaming console will have an even bigger problem justifying it than phones and pcs. no point in wasting processing and buttons on it

That's what I thought before reading here there and on Reddit about "don't use other chargers" "Nintendos implementation is non standard, it could fry your switch!" And stuff like that...
You can charge your Switch with any USB-C charger or power bank that you would use for your phone. The custom implementation was for the docked mode, probably the standards available in 2015~2016 weren't enough or something and they made their own. Either way, some accessory makers reverse-engineered how docked mode worked and made their own docks, but they did some mistake and after an OS update some of those 3rd party docks started frying Switches.

Of course, there are bad quality chargers out there which doesn't implement all safety measures, so be mindful of them for any USB powered device you charge, including the Switch.

You can charge your Switch with any USB-C charger or power bank that you would use for your phone. The custom implementation was for the docked mode, probably the standards available in 2015~2016 weren't enough or something and they made their own. Either way, some accessory makers reverse-engineered how docked mode worked and made their own docks, but they did some mistake and after an OS update some of those 3rd party docks started frying Switches.

Of course, there are bad quality chargers out there which doesn't implement all safety measures, so be mindful of them for any USB powered device you charge, including the Switch.
I only 3 times used an alternative charger for dock, 1dell XPS charger 45W max, and 2 Anker chargers. All worked perfectly, but I guess all those are quality chargers, so...

And yeah, my phone chargers where LG and Anker.

I've heard those stories, I am aware, but it was recited without all of that context most of the time as "only use original chargers". My argument was, if they promote a product as having an usb c charging port and then it's bust cause of a standard usb charger then that's on them and has to be handled by waranty.
Then again, I'm in the EU...

Since the report of the Switch 2 getting delayed to 2025, this thread got about 2 pages of comments every day. I check in today and all of the sudden we have 10 pages.
Really does feel like this thread follows this chart to a T.
e96760t5ti5b1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that with Nintendo the bigger problems are their servers and netcode being very sub par.

Still hoping that with Switch 2 they finally invest in some serious improvements to their online infrastructure.

A lot of the issue seems to be focused with Mario Maker and Smash and those games are probably have a bunch of legacy code that makes implementing rollback netcode miserable (and those games are so precise that they need rollback).

Like, Splatoon's netcode isn't great, but ehhhh, I'm okay with it, it's not super precision focused.

3D World also has bad online but I assume that's also due to legacy code that was never intended to be brought online for super precise gameplay.

It was added by Wikipedia user "MrSwedishMeatballs" who seems to be the primary person maintaining the Tegra page.

You're cramping my style, Puck. I was hoping for some super mindblowing revelation, and you ruined with it Mr. Swedish Meatballs. 😩

Even though it'd be way too overkill for the application, imagining a Switch 2 with 32 gigs of LPDDR5 memory would feel like a power move, though hoping the buffer could be continually fed at a fast enough rate to make it worth while too.

Would be nice to get some updates of ram. Nate has speculated 16, always hard to gauge how informed his speculation is, if it's just like any of us speculating 16. Or if there's more behind it. Until further updates, my assumption is still 12.

We may not like it, but their consoles are powered by the biggest player in AI hardware AND Nintendo is likely to be the console vendor with the most AI juice on tap (at least in the base model, PS5 Pro likely won't be allowed exclusive AI powered features.).

I certainly wouldn't put it past them to work with Nvidia on a few client side AI features.

A lot of the issue seems to be focused with Mario Maker and Smash and those games are probably have a bunch of legacy code that makes implementing rollback netcode miserable (and those games are so precise that they need rollback).

Like, Splatoon's netcode isn't great, but ehhhh, I'm okay with it, it's not super precision focused.

3D World also has bad online but I assume that's also due to legacy code that was never intended to be brought online for super precise gameplay.
Mario Kart is also pretty miserable. Sure, you can always say it’s all legacy code but I really think there's no excuse for that, whether its 3D World or Splatoon.

We may not like it, but their consoles are powered by the biggest player in AI hardware AND Nintendo is likely to be the console vendor with the most AI juice on tap (at least in the base model, PS5 Pro likely won't be allowed exclusive AI powered features.).

I certainly wouldn't put it past them to work with Nvidia on a few client side AI features.
I hope it's more that they use it for actual games, than something like a voice assistant. Like Ilikefeet hinted at, Switch OS is one of the fastest to get around OSes there is. Hard to justify a voice assistant there.

I'm pretty sure that with Nintendo the bigger problems are their servers and netcode being very sub par.

Still hoping that with Switch 2 they finally invest in some serious improvements to their online infrastructure.
Nintendo has had sporadic job postings over the years about network engineers, but god wouldn't it be nice to actually see some fruits develop that don't make their online integration look like such a joke compared to Xbox and Sony 🙃

Open question: if I were to go through each companies IR annual reports, say for FY2022, what would I be looking for that points out how much they spend on their online infrastructure? Would they specify at all? Because something tells me Nintendo is either spending too much for such pitiful results, or nowhere near enough to match the quality from the other platform holders.

Mario Kart is also pretty miserable. Sure, you can always say it’s all legacy code but I really think there's no excuse for that, whether its 3D World or Splatoon.

Ehhhh, Mario Kart I've been fine with.

Mario Kart and Splatoon are "yeah, it could obviously be better, but these aren't precision crucial games"

3D World, Smash, and Mario Maker are precision crucial games.

Nintendo has had sporadic job postings over the years about network engineers, but god wouldn't it be nice to actually see some fruits develop that don't make their online integration look like such a joke compared to Xbox and Sony 🙃

Open question: if I were to go through each companies IR annual reports, say for FY2022, what would I be looking for that points out how much they spend on their online infrastructure? Would they specify at all? Because something tells me Nintendo is either spending too much for such pitiful results, or nowhere near enough to match the quality from the other platform holders.
idk but with all the money they get from subscriptions they sure can invest more on the infrastructure lmao.

Which reminds me; are y'all ready for the $50 price hike to NSO lol?

I was thinking that with the lack of hardware gimmicks, Nintendo might go in with the software gimmicks

And a voice assistant to run tasks (play X game, shut down the device etc), assist in games, or tell the weather doesn't seem far-fetched even though it's obviously gadget

idk but with all the money they get from subscriptions they sure can invest more on the infrastructure lmao.

Which reminds me; are y'all ready for the $50 price hike to NSO lol?
Seriously, that's what I would have thought too!! Free money to handle the servers and then some, why is it so difficult to ensure a steadier cadence of NSO game releases, or better yet a roadmap that is consistently looking in the future and not leaving subscribers in the lurch?

Guaranteed Netflix wouldn't have found initial success if they just stopped advertising what's coming next to the platform after a couple of months and just had occasional shadow drops whenever they felt like it.

And so help me as long as I can keep people on a family plan from outside my household, because the only way I'm justifying the NSO EP right now is that it only costs me about ~$1.18 a month ($99.99 CAD means a jump to probably $179.99 annually for a $50 USD increase 🫠)

Isn't Drake's bandwidth a bit low? 102.4GB/s is lower than ps4's bandwidth

Comparing the PS4's GDDR5 bandwidth isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison with Mobile-based LPDDR5 memory. For one, PS4 is x86-based vs. Switch is ARM-based. Plus LPDDR has a bit less latency compared to GDDR memory.

In reality, the PS4 would've needed that kind of bandwidth because of the nature of GDDR-based memory. Other users here can go more into the weeds with this one, but the jist of it is 102GB/sec would be sufficient for a mobile-based gaming system. Wouldn't blow the doors off, but wouldn't be as starved compared to the Switch 1's 25.6GB/sec of bandwidth.

I think I'm the resident expert on this, or at least the person who's fiddled around the most with different setups while measuring speeds (including routing my Switch connection through a device I could actively track the bandwidth of, so I could use more than just the network test as a measurement).

Long story short, for one thing, the Switch's speed test lies. Tests that hit over 100 Mbps might still only say 60 or 70. This is because it averages the speed throughout the test, and the Switch's connection speed ramps up as the test goes - and is often still ramping up as the test finishes on faster connections. If you have a 200 Mbps connection or faster and are connected via Ethernet, chances are the connection test reports just over half of what the Switch actually hit.

Beyond that, there's other factors, as the main scenario where you want high bandwidth is during game downloads/updates. How fast is the Switch storage write performance? I don't have a good way to measure things like that. Are you writing to an SD card? If it's UHS-class 3, it's only rated for 30 MB/s sequential writes, which is about 240 Mbps; more than you're seeing, but nowhere near your 1 Gbps connection. I also have no idea what their CDNs are actually capable of delivering (though that'd still be on Nintendo, it's not a Switch/Switch 2 problem).

It's been a while since I've booted Android or Linux on the Switch, but IIRC the network adapter itself supports far faster than the speeds the Switch sees. It's not the issue. The WiFi does have other problems, but they seem to come more from poor reception (antenna/power problem) rather than issues with protocol; most WiFi 5 devices I've owned see far better WiFi performance than the Switch, which is almost always the first device to lose a connection outright as I get further from the access point.

if I remember correctly, this was a cpu issue. it's why downloads are faster when you're system is in sleep mode
The CPU was definitely a factor; download performance is affected by the game you're playing and varies with how demanding the current scene is.

Last edited:
My unreasonable/unlikely wish for the Switch 2 is for them to add a stylus like they did with the DS series, and for more games with stylus support. The official Switch stylus is good but I wish I could slide it into my the console.

I know this is a speculation thread, but I sure hope everyone here realizes that whatever technology Nintendo adopts for their hardware is thoroughly deliberated by experts in their respective fields. Whatever 'problem' people have in understanding how a given mechanism might work would not be lost on Nintendo's engineers. I'm not speaking to the validity of any specific rumor, just speaking generally.

I know this is a speculation thread, but I sure hope everyone here realizes that whatever technology Nintendo adopts for their hardware is thoroughly deliberated by experts in their respective fields. Whatever 'problem' people have in understanding how a given mechanism might work would not be lost on Nintendo's engineers. I'm not speaking to the validity of any specific rumor, just speaking generally.

Exactly.

giphy.gif

How some here probably view Nintendo engineers.

While I'm 99.99999% certain that serious problems like magnetic pinching or magnetized controllers falling won't happen, there have been questionable design decisions in the past from Nintendo that led to serious issues for them or consumers.

WiiU: Literally every aspect of the hardware
3DS: Betting on 3D... It was a reasonable bet, but it turns out no one cares about 3D.
Switch: Stick drift (didn't affect them much, but was a very annoying product failure that they seemingly didn't foresee)

Where is the 102.4GB/s number from? (maybe I've seen spec or mention of that before, I guess in that case I'd need a refresher)
It was digital foundry who speculated that it might be 102GB.

Like I don’t personally know much about bandwidth, but I’m guessing they’re speculating it will be 102GB because they also speculated a 8-12GB ram and a 8NM node.

Exactly.

giphy.gif

How some here probably view Nintendo engineers.

lol

While I'm 99.99999% certain that serious problems like magnetic pinching or magnetized controllers falling won't happen, there have been questionable design decisions in the past from Nintendo that led to serious issues for them or consumers.

WiiU: Literally every aspect of the hardware
3DS: Betting on 3D... It was a reasonable bet, but it turns out no one cares about 3D.
Switch: Stick drift (didn't affect them much, but was a very annoying product failure that they seemingly didn't foresee)

To be clear, business decisions are something completely different. I am talking about serious immediate concerns like safety issues or rapid battery drain. Nintendo cares a lot about these issues and would almost certainly be aware of how the technology they adopt affects them. Of course, they make mistakes and poor decisions, but I wasn't really arguing otherwise.

For all we know it's all games. Impossible to test this without an emulator.
Nah, I've tested it plenty on a modded Switch. I've yet to run into a game that's supposed to support the touch screen that doesn't when forced into docked performance.

Hello Fami Fam, lets HOPE this the be the last full week we go without OFFICIAL information about the successor to the Nintendo Switch, by Wednesday of next week by all that is holy we be put out of misery next week discussing a device we know for sure is real and coming.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom