• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

This actually isn't bad. I mean it is bad, but it does the job of saying "these things are connected" while at the same time saying "this is a distinct product".

I do think that Nintendo will pull a 3DS or iPhone 3G - or even an Xbox 360. I think there is a way (and I can't think of it but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist) to name the product in a way that distinguishes is from it's predecessor, while dodging the simple - and sometimes difficult to say - "2"
Raccoon chimes in from the beyond with a

Nintendo Switch 24

This actually isn't bad. I mean it is bad, but it does the job of saying "these things are connected" while at the same time saying "this is a distinct product".

I do think that Nintendo will pull a 3DS or iPhone 3G - or even an Xbox 360. I think there is a way (and I can't think of it but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist) to name the product in a way that distinguishes is from it's predecessor, while dodging the simple - and sometimes difficult to say - "2"
Switch Too(2)

I leave a tab of this thread open when I'm working.

today a guy who works with me asked what in the world I keep reading so much here.

I didn't know what to answer.
Simple, you answer with “Hardware Erotica” they’d never question you on that ever again but on other things and you can easily swerve around those questions. :p

If you finesse it a bit.
This was an actual rumour that circulated a while ago.
Oh… wow… I’m sad now…

The Switch can be considered a culmination of Nintendo's endeavors throughout their tenure as console manufacturers, with the systems features mimicking others from Nintendo's past systems. For all we know, the successor could simply be an evolution of all of these features; more accurate Joy-Cons, a better touch screen, maybe even haptic feedback ala the PS5. Basically, it could be a more capable Switch in more than just specs and DLSS.
This is what I expect, really. Switch has done plenty of unique gameplay experiences like LABO, Ring Fit, and Mario Kart Tour with peripherals that leverage the existing form factor and sensors of the device. The ability to change how we play games is built into the DNA of the Switch. Features like HD rumble and gyro aiming can seamlessly integrate into a 'traditional' gaming experience and enhance it, while developers can choose to push the envelope (or just mess around) by using the rest of the Switch's features (like how Skyrim has Twilight Princess style sword controls lol). This is unlike the Wii U's second screen which... well, I never found it a particularly desirable feature in games, and felt like a distraction and afterthought.

When I want a 'better Switch' I don't literally mean I want the existing model with the T239 crammed in. I do want additional IR sensors, enhanced haptic feedback and motion controls, an OS with features like quick resume and streaming, and some asymmetrical multiplayer. I even want a touchpad on the controller. None of these change the core of the Switch which is a hybrid console. But all of these can make a console 'better' and could be worth the added cost. Even the Vita crammed a bunch of features like a touchscreen, back touch pad, gyroscope, camera, mic, etc. but it was still a PSP2 at the end of the day, and these features were optional.

I am skeptical of this supposed mandate for a new major 'gimmick' that will supposedly transform how we play games, that people seem to expect of Nintendo. It's not like the Wii U's dual screen and 3DS's 3D were major paradigm shifts. And unlike motion controls and touch screens, they didn't make the cut.

I actually like Switch 24 quite a bit after thinking about it. It can be like "the 2024 version" but at the same time "the console that lets you play 24 hours a day"

I'm thinking Nintendo Switch X2 for some reason.

NX2
Times 2
Extra and two.
Stylised in superscript in the logo.

Edit: or maybe "2E" - "Second Edition".

Not NG Switch-related but I'm curious about what other people think about this:

When Nintendo inevitably puts their feet into the VR/AR space with their own device, would it be better for them to release it as an addon for their current-gen hardware or as an standalone device that utilizes the same architecture as their main console (maybe even the same hardware)?
the problem with an add-on is that the tablet is big as is and that's one of the problems with VR. on the flipside, a standalone device could better tackle that but there's a lot more expense to design a standalone device. the software still has to be tailor made for it, so Nintendo would be back to where they were with having two platforms to support

Switch 2 is as descriptive as calling the Lite and OLED as Switch 1.1 and Switch 1.2.

It just tells there's something new, not why anyone should care.

"New gen" means a lot for gaming enthusiasts, but for the general public the point of reference is phones, tablets, TVs, cars, etc. They wouldn't bat an eye if console revisions were called new generations (e.g. DS 2nd gen and DS 3rd gen instead of DS Lite and DSi).

And if Nintendo can't even convey it's a new generation without putting that in the name, they failed really hard on their marketing already.

simple, it won't get madden like the switch doesn't now. problem solved!
be59cfb2-8a60-4046-8ca8-208347b2c216_text.gif

We're back to the naming loop again 😄

Man we're bored. Somebody leak something. For our sanity.
Fat Tuesday is coming up.

Well there's a Direct on the 13th, so. We might see something, nothing, or evidence of something, or nothing, there.

I'm really hoping MicroLED as a technology becomes cheap enough to be used in a potential Switch 3 (or even a 2 refresh).

Switch 2 is as descriptive as calling the Lite and OLED as Switch 1.1 and Switch 1.2.

New in tech usually means better. The general public wouldn't understand minor versioning numbers but can understand '2' just fine. It's not like all they are putting on the box is the number 2 and that's it, there will be bullet points and pictures of the various new features and exclusive games to market. '2' creates the expectation of something new, some enhancement or new feature or hook(s), like what one would expect of a major version number.

"New gen" means a lot for gaming enthusiasts, but for the general public the point of reference is phones, tablets, TVs, cars, etc. They wouldn't bat an eye if console revisions were called new generations (e.g. DS 2nd gen and DS 3rd gen instead of DS Lite and DSi).

And if Nintendo can't even convey it's a new generation without putting that in the name, they failed really hard on their marketing already.
But phones and tablets do exactly this? iPhones use a numbered scheme and iPads do the "nth generation" thing.

They can make the same sort of attention with a special press event, like they did with Switch. In fact, an announcement outside their usual schedule is guaranteed to bring in even more attention.

In any case, using general Directs to showcase new hardware is probably not the best idea because it runs the risk of competing for time or overshadowing other announcements. It's better to just create a dedicated event so all the important info can be conveyed smoothly and exclusives can be show properly.

(Even more so if there's major gimmicks involved, at which point hands-on demonstrations are pretty much obligatory).
do a special Direct focused on the console, followed by a Treehouse Live segment showing the console itself and it games, this could be the perfect way to anounce Switch sucessor

New in tech usually means better.
Yes. I expect the new model of any electronic to be better. But the "how" is completely absent.

I know the new iPhone is better than last year's, but if I'm not planing on buying a new phone or if I'm an Android user, why should I care?

It's not like all they are putting on the box is the number 2 and that's it, there will be bullet points and pictures of the various new features and exclusive games to market.
That's... exactly my point. The reason for you to buy is in the description, bullet points, ads, etc. It's not in the '2'.

All it conveys is that it's new and there are many ways to convey that. That was never a huge task to begin with, a good marketing campaign did that to many products. And now it's even less of an issue when they have so many ways to reach fans (email, console news app, Directs, social network, internet ads, etc).
But phones and tablets do exactly this? iPhones use a numbered scheme and iPads do the "nth generation" thing.
And the difference between them is similar to the 3DS vs New 3DS, instead of PS4 vs PS5. When the difference is a big selling point, you try to convey that in the name, like Air, "with touch bar", Mini, Max, etc. Or you outright create a new line if the selling point is really big, like iPhone/iPad not being iPods, Vision Pro, Note and Fold instead of S<number>, etc.

For someone whose reference for new gen is phone generations, new gen is simply underselling Drake.

Last edited:
the problem with an add-on is that the tablet is big as is and that's one of the problems with VR. on the flipside, a standalone device could better tackle that but there's a lot more expense to design a standalone device. the software still has to be tailor made for it, so Nintendo would be back to where they were with having two platforms to support
Firstly, don't they have an HQ expansion due 2028? If today they are in a state of holding finished titles for release, I can easily imagine that still happening 8 years from now, so I think that they would have to put this new workforce somewhere they can release titles and keep their releases up to date and releasing in a smooth way, and I think that a VR/AR-something could be just that because 1. It's a completely new territory where they can experiment however they want, 2. It doesn't have a set standard, so they can change core fundamentals however they like without being severely penalized, because they are the ones who usually set trends and revolution in the industry and 3. If they release this with a Pokémon game and a more mature one like Metroid or Zelda, and market it well so that everyone can get behind it, it's going to be a guaranteed success.

And second, I think it's pretty feasible nowadays to build a VR standalone headset, with Meta having the Quest 2 at around $299, and with rumors of a Quest 3 Lite at $199, it seems like VR tech is only getting better and cheaper (which is something Nintendo likes). So I think it's possible to package a Drake with 1600p120/eye lenses and maybe some new controller and sell it at around $299 in like 2027, if making it just an addon isn't possible.

About the name, we had:
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo 65 (Gamecube)
  • Nintendo 66 (Wii)
  • Nintendo 67 (WiiU)
  • Nintendo 68 (Switch)
The next step is:
J9cbHDG.png

Everybody will love to play with their 69!

Counterpoint: This is clearly descended from Nintendo's portable offerings, thus: The Nintendo 5DS.

That's... exactly my point. The reason for you to buy is in the description, bullet points, ads, etc. It's not in the '2'.

All it conveys is that it's new and there are many ways to convey that. That was never a huge task to begin with, a good marketing campaign did that to many products. And now it's even less of an issue when they have so many ways to reach fans (email, console news app, Directs, social network, internet ads, etc).
I'm just contesting your comparison with the minor versioning numbers.

I'm just contesting your comparison with the minor versioning numbers.
OK. You can replace that with "Switch revision 1 and 2" or "Switch 2019 and 2021 models" or any naming you believe that it conveys there's a new model but do not conveys what's new/better at all.

This is what I expect, really. Switch has done plenty of unique gameplay experiences like LABO, Ring Fit, and Mario Kart Tour with peripherals that leverage the existing form factor and sensors of the device. The ability to change how we play games is built into the DNA of the Switch. Features like HD rumble and gyro aiming can seamlessly integrate into a 'traditional' gaming experience and enhance it, while developers can choose to push the envelope (or just mess around) by using the rest of the Switch's features (like how Skyrim has Twilight Princess style sword controls lol). This is unlike the Wii U's second screen which... well, I never found it a particularly desirable feature in games, and felt like a distraction and afterthought.

When I want a 'better Switch' I don't literally mean I want the existing model with the T239 crammed in. I do want additional IR sensors, enhanced haptic feedback and motion controls, an OS with features like quick resume and streaming, and some asymmetrical multiplayer. I even want a touchpad on the controller. None of these change the core of the Switch which is a hybrid console. But all of these can make a console 'better' and could be worth the added cost. Even the Vita crammed a bunch of features like a touchscreen, back touch pad, gyroscope, camera, mic, etc. but it was still a PSP2 at the end of the day, and these features were optional.

I am skeptical of this supposed mandate for a new major 'gimmick' that will supposedly transform how we play games, that people seem to expect of Nintendo. It's not like the Wii U's dual screen and 3DS's 3D were major paradigm shifts. And unlike motion controls and touch screens, they didn't make the cut.
100% agree. I think the hybrid form factor is here to stay beyond even the Switch 2. I actually think by the time its life cycle is finished, it will be the preferred method from consumers to play console games in general.

What are ya'lls hopes for the switch successor UI? I'd honestly love to see a total creative make-over, with creative icons, popping colors, and flashy easter eggs. But at the absolute bare minimum, I really want cool themes. Themes alone would give the new ui immeasurable amounts of more life than the current switch.
020wGcI.jpg

What are ya'lls hopes for the switch successor UI? I'd honestly love to see a total creative make-over, with creative icons, popping colors, and flashy easter eggs. But at the absolute bare minimum, I really want cool themes. Themes alone would the new ui immeasurably more amounts of life than the current switch.
020wGcI.jpg
I'd be surprised if the next system doesn't have a new stylish ui. Isn't the only reason why the Switch's ui is so bare bones to keep power/computational usage down? I'm sure they didn't want to have to do their tricks like on the 3DS where some games such as Smash load up a super lightweight OS so the games would run better. With the next system surely being much more powerful they can sacrifice a bit of extra power to the ui.

What are ya'lls hopes for the switch successor UI? I'd honestly love to see a total creative make-over, with creative icons, popping colors, and flashy easter eggs. But at the absolute bare minimum, I really want cool themes. Themes alone would give the new ui immeasurable amounts of more life than the current switch.
020wGcI.jpg
oooooooooh that's neat, I like that a lot

020wGcI.jpg
Ngl, I still want a minimalist design

I’m definitely in the ‘better switch than Switch’ camp. I think improvements in the existing features could also help support backwards compatibility (e.g. Joycons that can better emulate Wiimotes). The only realistic radical new gaming feature I’ve read of recently is integration with smartphones (or tablets). That could spawn a lot possibilities, and smart devices are widely distributed enough for 3rd parties to be interested as well.

Maybe I dreamt this but I remember this video from E3 2016 with Reggie in front a yellow animated background referencing the NX would will be unveiled later in the year when talking about the platforms Zelda BOTW would eventually release on. I've spent a good 30 minutes trying to find it but no luck. I'll keep digging.

In fairness this was after they had already mentioned the existence of the NX to investors.

Edit: Here we all. E3 2015 at timestamp 10:28. Reggie referencing the next generation platform in a Digital Event. Yeah not a direct and certainly different circumstances but it's the closest thing I could find to Nintendo mentioning a new platform in something that resembles a direct.
Actually I'm pretty sure you're referring to the time Reggie mentioned NX during E3 either 2015/2016, specifically around the time in the video where Donkey Kong and Bowser were announced for Skylanders Imaginators. It wasn't an animated background, it was just stairs.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom