• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Nintendo's goal seems like they want every kind of player being able to play on Switch family of consoles (kids, family, casual gamers, hardcore gamers)

Switch reveal trailer was featuring Skyrim that's for a good reason, Nintendo cares a lot about 3rd parties being available

I think hardcore gamers will go for something like the SteamDeck or its siblings. I won't deny that this game is a welcomed addition to their lineup, but sales numbers of the past tell us that CoD is not a big hitter on consoles from Nintendo. Pretty safe to say Nintendo HQ in Kyoto also will look at these numbers. I could imagine that Microsoft would ensure that Nintendo markets their titles in the Nintendo Directs of the Future, could be far more important for a long-term-deal than earning a quick buck.

My point is that Microsoft's tentative 10 year agreement with Nintendo probably won't be the reason Call of Duty's potentially coming to the Nintendo Switch family and/or Nintendo's new hardware, especially if Nintendo's new hardware launches during holiday 2023 or early 2024.

The probable reason is that Nintendo signed a separate agreement with Activision behind the scenes before agreeing to a tentative 10 year agreement with Microsoft.

As long as Switch 2 has the specs and storage in line I expect CoD. However. I see 0 reason for Activision to sign any deal with CoD concerning Nintendo so I find your probable reasoning dubious. Activision gains nothing making this deal. Microsoft needed deals like this to persuade regulators.

I think hardcore gamers will go for something like the SteamDeck or its siblings. I won't deny that this game is a welcomed addition to their lineup, but sales numbers of the past tell us that CoD is not a big hitter on consoles from Nintendo. Pretty safe to say Nintendo HQ in Kyoto also will look at these numbers. I could imagine that Microsoft would ensure that Nintendo markets their titles in the Nintendo Directs of the Future, could be far more important for a long-term-deal than earning a quick buck.

SteamDeck will be somewhat similar to Switch 2 (according to Nvidia leak) in terms of performance also

I know most people here don't care too much but getting COD, fully feature FIFA and Madden and if its possible next GTA (I would add day 1 Assasins Creed or other Ubisoft heavy blockbusters) should be a good priority to Nintendo in order to expand current Switch overseas market with their next HW.

Switch 1 will be the best selling HW in japan market, I don't think thing will change much from that perspective as long as they release the same first party titles + a few third party titles day one instead of very late ports.

But overseas can surely expand them more with more heavy day 1 western support.

Nintendo’s hardware goals are household centric. They released the Switch. Their next target was to extend the number of Switches per household. This is how the Lite was born: a more affordable Switch, at the cost of being handheld only. Plus its design was very appealing to female consumers. It also server as an entry point to the Switch family of systems. Now Nintendo’s goal is to please an existing customer base. They’re doing this with quality software and telling them to upgrade to the OLED, which is why we’ve gotten three themed OLEDs: Splatoon, Pokemon and Zelda, their major franchises. Its telling consumers: upgrade to either a regular OLED or a themed one.

Nintendo behave like a hardware company first and foremost. Their center of the strategy is the hardware. Everything else is complimentary. Once the OLED loses steam, they’re unleash the successor console.

Nintendo’s hardware goals are household centric. They released the Switch. Their next target was to extend the number of Switches per household. ...
This reminds me of one of my theories for the gimmick of Switch 2 (and actually I predicted it would be a feature of Switch 1 at some point but was wrong) which is a return of the asymetric gameplay only found in the Wii U.

If you have multiple Switch Consoles in a home you could easily recreate this type of experience by having them communicate/connect to each other when running the same game. It promotes multiple consoles per household and also (if Nintendo wants to be greedy) multiple copies of games per household. It could be an option for many games:
  • 8 player Mario Kart with each person having their own personal screen?
  • That multiplayer sonic game is too fast to have one screen, isn't it? How about everyone can have their own screen, same for any/every other side scroller
  • GIVE ME NINTENDOLAND 2
  • New modes/mini games in Wario/Mario Party
  • Opens up possibilities for card games where your hand can be private on your screen, or new types of games with this idea represented
Asymetric gameplay was such an innovative idea, especially for a family oriented console, that never got a chance to really spread its wings. There is a ton of opportunity for completely new type of games.

I know most people here don't care too much but getting COD, fully feature FIFA and Madden and if its possible next GTA (I would add day 1 Assasins Creed or other Ubisoft heavy blockbusters) should be a good priority to Nintendo in order to expand current Switch overseas market with their next HW.
Totally this. Many people buy PS5 just to play Fifa games. This is important.

usly the transcript is unofficial, but even so it seems that backward compatibility is heavily implied.

Without question. What makes a customers Nintendo account valuable to them? Its not your Nintendo ID name or having your email address saved within your Nintendo account. These aren't investments within your Nintendo account. The investment comes from the games you have purchased, and if you strip away your users game library when moving to new hardware, what is really left? Nothing of significant worth. Phil Spencer was correct when he said that they lost an important generation with the Xbox One because this is where gamers became invested in their digital libraries. Consumers are less likely to migrate to a different platform when it means leaving their digital library of games behind.

I believe backwards compatibility will just work. Nvidia will create a software compatibility layer that allows games developed for Switch run on Redacted. The added perk will be Switch games will essentially run in the docked performance mode when playing portably, and the games will essentially run in a boost mode when docked. We have seen countless examples of Switch games running on jailbroken Switch units with high overclocks and I have yet to see this break a game. So while I do not expect the majority of software to get patched for the new hardware, your library of games will get some baked in enhancements. Regardless if Redacted uses a 720p screen or a 1080p screen, playing Switch games on it will be improved. Take Mario Kart 8 for example, it renders at 1080p docked, so if its running that profile on Redacted, you either get the perk of down sampling to the 720p screen or a nice match for the new 1080p screen.

Elden Ring is a PS5 e Xbox series X/S game, Switch sucessor will not be powerful enough to run this game.
It literally runs on a Steam Deck, and Drake runs circles around that device.

I’m sorry, but what was assymetric gameplay?
The idea that different players can be presented with different information/gameplay. On the Wii U, this was accomplished by having the GamePad and the TV displaying different things. On the Switch, it is done in games like Jackbox with a web-based proxy interface on players' smartphones.

This reminds me of one of my theories for the gimmick of Switch 2 (and actually I predicted it would be a feature of Switch 1 at some point but was wrong) which is a return of the asymetric gameplay only found in the Wii U.

If you have multiple Switch Consoles in a home you could easily recreate this type of experience by having them communicate/connect to each other when running the same game. It promotes multiple consoles per household and also (if Nintendo wants to be greedy) multiple copies of games per household. It could be an option for many games:
  • 8 player Mario Kart with each person having their own personal screen?
  • That multiplayer sonic game is too fast to have one screen, isn't it? How about everyone can have their own screen, same for any/every other side scroller
  • GIVE ME NINTENDOLAND 2
  • New modes/mini games in Wario/Mario Party
  • Opens up possibilities for card games where your hand can be private on your screen, or new types of games with this idea represented
Asymetric gameplay was such an innovative idea, especially for a family oriented console, that never got a chance to really spread its wings. There is a ton of opportunity for completely new type of games.
Literally all of those are possible on Nintendo Switch and most of them are already in place. 8 Player Mario Kart, exclusive minigames in Mario Party, and card games (like those in 51 Worldwide Games). It really doesn't make sense to make that a console's identity when that's a feature any handheld with multiplayer will de-facto have.

The Wii U experience would be more like using a Nintendo Switch Console in handheld mode as a controller for another Nintendo Switch, which is already possible in some games like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Oh, I care a lot. The only reason I own a Series S is so I can play the most recent versions of sports games (like FIFA, PGA Tour 2K, and the upcoming NCAA Football game). I'd much rather play newer versions of FIFA and PGA Tour on a Nintendo system. If the next Switch or whatever it'll be called features a FIFA and/or PGA Tour 2K that even closely mirrors the PS4/XOne versions (that's probably the most realistic target performance, right?), I'll happy sell the Series S. I love the portable aspect of the OLED Switch.

Vague answers from Nintendo or clear indications that they still want to support Switch?
Perhaps we will know with the official translation.

I'm honestly leaning towards the latter.

Pay closer attention to what Nintendo is doing rather than what they say. Their messaging will remain focused on what they have to sell today until they are ready to sell the next thing. Out of all the games shown off in the recent Direct, how many are even developed internally at Nintendo? On top of that, Nintendo has been known to sit on completed games, so for all we know, Super Mario Wonder could have been done for quite some time. The majority of Nintendo's internal teams surely working on games for Redacted at this point and even though the recent Direct showed off a lot of quality games, it did not suggest that Nintendo's bigger teams are still full steam ahead on creating Switch games. They are working on the next 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Monolithsoft is likely working on their next big RPG. Maybe Monolithsoft will port XBC:X, but that would only require the B team there to move that game on to Switch. The A team would be working on whats next for Redacted. Zelda TotK was the last AAA project from Nintendo for Switch.

Vague answers from Nintendo or clear indications that they still want to support Switch?

Didn't seem all that vague. Not sure why anyone would expect them to say anything else besides that they want to continue to support the only product they have for sale (and that is actually still selling).

Nintendo suits would lie you in the face (or give you a non answer) in the morning and then in the afternoon release a PR announcing the new system. ;D

I think Nintendo planned Redacted’s release to depend on Switch’s performance, whether or not the console was entering its 6th year of life. We could very well receive a successor later than usual.

Which is what I presume Nintendo still clings to Uncharted Territory:
• The Switch is selling strong even though its in market saturation: Uncharted Territory

• Consumers are replacing their old Switches with an OLED: Uncharted Territory

Though I believe this Uncharted Territory is coming to an end. Next year is the year the Switch will finish losing its steam, and Nintendo will release the next generation of the console.

And no, I haven’t lost hope for #Team2023 lol. I’ll admit defeat after the first week of July 🤪

Pay closer attention to what Nintendo is doing rather than what they say. Their messaging will remain focused on what they have to sell today until they are ready to sell the next thing. Out of all the games shown off in the recent Direct, how many are even developed internally at Nintendo? On top of that, Nintendo has been known to sit on completed games, so for all we know, Super Mario Wonder could have been done for quite some time. The majority of Nintendo's internal teams surely working on games for Redacted at this point and even though the recent Direct showed off a lot of quality games, it did not suggest that Nintendo's bigger teams are still full steam ahead on creating Switch games. They are working on the next 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Monolithsoft is likely working on their next big RPG. Maybe Monolithsoft will port XBC:X, but that would only require the B team there to move that game on to Switch. The A team would be working on whats next for Redacted. Zelda TotK was the last AAA project from Nintendo for Switch.
EPD8 e EPD 3 surely are focusing on Switch sucessor games, but the rest of Nintendo internal team and it subsidiaries are still focusing on developing games on Switch, still a long time for Switch sucessor games to release.

With both Super Mario Wonder and Super Mario RPG both having their file sizes already listed and ready for preorder doesn't that usually mean the games are already finished waiting for release?

As long as Switch 2 has the specs and storage in line I expect CoD. However. I see 0 reason for Activision to sign any deal with CoD concerning Nintendo so I find your probable reasoning dubious. Activision gains nothing making this deal. Microsoft needed deals like this to persuade regulators.
The point I was trying to make is that if Call of Duty comes to the Nintendo Switch family and/or Nintendo's new hardware, I don't think the tentative 10 year agreement between Microsoft and Nintendo is the reason, especially if Microsoft fails to obtain regulatory approval to acquire Activision from the US government and/or the UK government.

But fair point.

I just think that, especially at this point, it's not relevant to base the reveal/release timing on upcoming software and overall sales anymore.

With both Super Mario Wonder and Super Mario RPG both having their file sizes already listed and ready for preorder doesn't that usually mean the games are already finished waiting for release?
They're probably content complete and have a playable build, but they're also probably still being polished up.

Nintendo needs a banger or two at launch for Redacted to help get it going, but things will be very different compared to when Switch launched in 2017. Switch was coming off the monumental flop with the Wii U. Most third party publishers were missing in action in 2017 because they felt burnt with the poor performance of the Wii U. Nintendo needed quality first party releases every couple months in order to establish momentum for the new platform. With Redacted, third parties will be there right from the start. Nintendo can partner with various third parties to make sure some high profile titles are on the platform early lessening the burden on Nintendo's internal teams while also broadening the appeal for the new platform, expanding beyond their typical Nintendo gamers. Release with 3D Mario alongside numerous third party titles, and then get the next Mario Kart out within six months of release. Switch has real hardware appeal that goes beyond its software, it is a proven success at this point and its not just because of Nintendo's first party games.

Nintendo needs a banger or two at launch for Redacted to help get it going, but things will be very different compared to when Switch launched in 2017. Switch was coming off the monumental flop with the Wii U. Most third party publishers were missing in action in 2017 because they felt burnt with the poor performance of the Wii U. Nintendo needed quality first party releases every couple months in order to establish momentum for the new platform. With Redacted, third parties will be there right from the start. Nintendo can partner with various third parties to make sure some high profile titles are on the platform early lessening the burden on Nintendo's internal teams while also broadening the appeal for the new platform, expanding beyond their typical Nintendo gamers. Release with 3D Mario alongside numerous third party titles, and then get the next Mario Kart out within six months of release. Switch has real hardware appeal that goes beyond its software, it is a proven success at this point and its not just because of Nintendo's first party games.

Agreed on everything except release with 3D Mario,

Nintendo consoles have not launched with a 3D Mario since the N64, they know that launching 3D Mario on a console with not many users at the time would be a mistake.

3D Mario will drop on the first year launch window for sure but not launch day

Nintendo consoles have not launched with a 3D Mario since the N64, they know that launching 3D Mario on a console with not many users at the time would be a mistake.

Nintendo will 100% release the next 3D Mario game as a launch day title for the next console. The same argument you make, could be made for not launching a new 3D Zelda with not many users at launch, would also have been a mistake. And as we've seen, it clearly wasn't.

Nintendo will 100% release the next 3D Mario game as a launch day title for the next console. The same argument you make, could be made for not launching a new 3D Zelda with not many users at launch, would also have been a mistake. And as we've seen, it clearly wasn't.

Nope, 3D Zelda was not a Switch exclusive, and at this time Nintendo was gambling on the Switch

Two completely different situations

Actually, we have fresh news on this from Yesterday. They do have a deal with XBox:
Bond revealed how Microsoft was forced to agree to a new revenue sharing deal with Activision to get a version of Call of Duty for the launch of the Xbox Series S / X consoles. Activision Bobby Kotick wanted Microsoft to agree to a new revenue share deal before work began on an optimized version of Call of Duty for Xbox Series S / X.
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried the same with Valve and worse with Nintendo and getting a "No, we're good." from them resulted in COD skipping Steam/Switch.

They wont launch without a big hitter. What big first party title will it be if not 3D Mario? I cant see them launching without a major first party title.

Super Mario Odyssey was released during the launch window of Switch as it first holiday game, the same could happen for Switch sucessor, i predict Switch sucessor launch game will not be Metroid Prime 4 as many as you predicted, but a the tech demo style games Nintendo always do to showcase they consoles main apeal, like Wii Sports for Wii, 1-2 Switch for Switch and so on and maybe a more core oriented franchise such as Metroid along side it.

I still think when looking at things big picture, the timing is too good to pass up. Just a guess, but the Switch probably could have launched with Mario Odyssey (as in, likely it was complete by March 2017). Only they already had a monster Zelda game to tie the launch together and it's actually a bad idea to launch a new 3d Mario and 3d Zelda at the same time, even if it is for a console launch.

If you look at the history of Nintendo consoles and their launch titles, their worst selling home consoles didn't have a new mainline Mario or Zelda at launch (GC and WiiU*). I don't think that's lost on Nintendo. With a 6 year gap between mainline Marios, and no other big franchise probably ready, the timing is just too perfect to launch their next system with a tried and true powerhouse like 3d Mario

*I know NSMBU came out with Wii U, but I'd argue that at some point mainline Mario evolved from 2d -> 3d. Definitely open to disagreements here though

I still think when looking at things big picture, the timing is too good to pass up. Just a guess, but the Switch probably could have launched with Mario Odyssey (as in, likely it was complete by March 2017). Only they already had a monster Zelda game to tie the launch together and it's actually a bad idea to launch a new 3d Mario and 3d Zelda at the same time, even if it is for a console launch.

If you look at the history of Nintendo consoles and their launch titles, their worst selling home consoles didn't have a new mainline Mario or Zelda at launch (GC and WiiU*). I don't think that's lost on Nintendo. With a 6 year gap between mainline Marios, and no other big franchise probably ready, the timing is just too perfect to launch their next system with a tried and true powerhouse like 3d Mario

*I know NSMBU came out with Wii U, but I'd argue that at some point mainline Mario evolved from 2d -> 3d. Definitely open to disagreements here though
exactly and the next 3D Mario game is problaby content complete and is in the polishing/QA part now, considering EPD 8 has not releasing any game since Super Mario Odyssey in octobre 2017.

Super Mario Odyssey was released during the launch window of Switch as it first holiday game, the same could happen for Switch sucessor, i predict Switch sucessor launch game will not be Metroid Prime 4 as many as you predicted, but a the tech demo style games Nintendo always do to showcase they consoles main apeal, like Wii Sports for Wii, 1-2 Switch for Switch and so on and maybe a more core oriented franchise such as Metroid along side it.

Nintendo used Metroid Prime 3 graphics to reveal the Wii (Revolution) during E3 2005

Nintendo will never match Wii Sport's success(ala a "tech demo") unless they are coming with a brand new way to play games. And all expectations is that this isn't happening.

Some of you talk about the next system as if Nintendo should treat its launch a bit low-key and I'm so confused. Not to mention the attitude of resting on the laurels of the switch's success. The next system is getting OLED Switch treatment lmao.

Don't dismiss the possibility of Dark Moon HD being released after Redacted's launch, just as LM1 for 3DS was released after the Switch's launch.
I haven't dismissed the idea, but I think it's unlikely. That would be an odd launch title.

More likely, they hold the new console until they have a solid first-year launch line-up ready, which is why we will see 3DS and GameCube ports and remasters for the next 15 months.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom