• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I'm on the fence about whether it gets released this year, but if they were announcing in late June, then a Direct a few weeks later (ie in July) is exactly what I'd expect.
I'd also expect an announcement immediately before a shareholder meeting. Gives them an opportunity to respond to investors, while also being cagey. "We've said all we have to say about the matter at this time." Gives them maximum control of the narrative.

They'll also need to announce some games at some point in either June or July, lest they get past Pikmin's release and have only a single game on their public roadmap, particularly with that game being Metroid Prime 4, which they've barely mentioned in years. Whether they're announcing new hardware or not, they'll need something in the next month or so.
August had one game last year, Kirby's Dream Buffet, which was (IIRC) announced in a tweet in July. While I agree they need something, I don't think it has to be much to hold out till September, if that's what they wanted to do.

How many chapters of Fortnite are still left for our Switcy

What do you mean? They'll keep releasing on the Switch. Switch has amazing numbers for them.

I really hope Epic is ready for the Switch 2 to give us PS4 Pro level graphics (at least.) It's probably my number one reason to upgrade. Tired of lugging around my gaming laptop to play Fortnite. Switch is just so much more convenient.

Meanwhile, Summer Game's Fest effectively is a partner showcase...

So this game , according to Sega, is coming out on "The Nintendo Switch family of systems"…..
is this a normal phrasing for the switch games?
Iirc yes? The Switch family right now would consist of the base Switch (V2), the Lite, and the OLED.

Not a first party title.

You're right, in general, but I do find the phrasing here odd myself!
I remember the same language was used for the DS and 3DS. It may be further emphasized when the Switch 2 releases (there's little reason to suggest that it wouldn't be called that, imho).

I remember the same language was used for the DS and 3DS. It may be further emphasized when the Switch 2 releases (there's little reason to suggest that it wouldn't be called that, imho).
Nintendo does use it for Switch, but it still strikes me as odd for a third party to specify "family of systems" and not "Nintendo Switch system".

Nintendo does use it for Switch, but it still strikes me as odd for a third party to specify "family of systems" and not "Nintendo Switch system".
You do have a point there. If it was just listed as Switch, it would have been a forgone conclusion that it would also work on the Lite and OLED. It could mean just that, but I guess we won't know for sure until we start looking at future third-party announcements and earlier ones. I'm at work, so I can't do any sleuthing right now.

Not a first party title.

You're right, in general, but I do find the phrasing here odd myself!
Important to bring this point back up...
Sure, it’s confirmation bias. Confirmation bias doesn’t mean your wrong :) Confirmation bias is just that - a bias, a tendency, to see data in a way that matches a pre-existing belief. That can include "these things seem connected."

That 2023 2H calendar filling out now guys. Watch out.

It's the first party schedule that has caught people's attention. There's been some later third party games for a while.
August had one game last year, Kirby's Dream Buffet, which was (IIRC) announced in a tweet in July. While I agree they need something, I don't think it has to be much to hold out till September, if that's what they wanted to do.
It was also an eShop-only title. They probably wouldn't do that with their big September release.

if someone had come along in 2020 and said Metroid Prime 4 would be a Switch 1 title in 2023 with no Pro/2 on the horizon I think most people would have considered that crazy. yet here we are. i hope when MP4 appears it's cross-gen at the least.

going into wild speculation land for a moment someone found a potential easter egg in the Mario Movie which appears to read MK10SOON

MK10.png

Even if you assume all confirmation biases are equal, there is one reasonably objective thing that makes this year, and its rumor cycle, stand apart from previous ones, and that's the unique pattern observed in Thraktor's table of Nintendo games that have been announced but not released.

We know far less about Nintendo's future software plans than we have at any previous point since the release of the Switch, and this would remain true even if no new hardware is released this year. That's the underlying context everyone here is working with when analyzing all rumors (or lack of).

going into wild speculation land for a moment someone found a potential easter egg in the Mario Movie which appears to read MK10SOON

MK10.png
Mario Kart Tour is Mario Kart 9, confirmed.

Again, even if that's the case, it's still worth entertaining.

Hope I'm not bringing any weird vibes here, I don't wanna make it seem like I'm constantly defending people.
If it's worth anything, I don't think you are. Though I do think some people are a bit quick to wag the finger, I don't think you are among those people. Let's not get too dramatic either way.

I have hope... We can have both console. And games.

Would it be so bad if Nintendo ran switch into more uncharted territory by giving it the ten year cycle they romanticized about. TOTK makes me think they can squeeze more juice out of current hardware with their FSR business and such.
Based on the fortunate things we as Nintendo fans have gotten from switch after Wii u, can’t we just kick back and enjoy what’s currently out and potentially coming out for the little hybrid that could?
At the end of the day Nintendo next gen is around the corner, whether that’s months from now our years from now. Let’s continue to enjoy it for what it is right now. It deserves it.

The Nitro Deck

Have mixed feelings about the way they're marketing this, but the concept is sort of neat. It's a complete controller that attaches to a switch, but doesn't use the joycon rails at all, instead connecting via the USB-C port to reduce latency. The implication seems to also be that it effectively is a dock. You plug the HDMI cable in, and stick out the kickstand, and it's in TV mode.

Yeah I don't get the logic here. It's not selling so don't release something new? Don't release anything until they're all sold out?

I was thinking if Nintendo produces soo many OLED Switches they need software to sell them. If they were already phasing out, i.e. the successor is around the corner, then I would have kept the ZOLED production on a more limited level. Would be happy about a 23 release, but 24 feels more conclusive to me… just the empty H2 line-up…

I was thinking if Nintendo produces soo many OLED Switches they need software to sell them. If they were already phasing out, i.e. the successor is around the corner, then I would have kept the ZOLED production on a more limited level. Would be happy about a 23 release, but 24 feels more conclusive to me… just the empty H2 line-up…
New Nintendo 2DS XL special editions were being RELEASED well after Switch. So I wouldn't consider it too seriously.

I don’t think there are more productions of themed OLEDs. Zelda OLEDs, in this case. Those SKUs were being kept in inventory since this past Holiday season. If anything, what you could be seeing are unsold units from that batch.

Also: why would Nintendo, knowing about the delay, make themed SKUs and have them in inventory? Maybe they needed to clear up their manufacturing lines? But for what? ;)

I hope you don't mind me copying this from neogaf, found it interesting just how strong Switch sales are still in Japan. Especially compared to PS5. While I'm still on team 2023 and can't wait for the new system, it's amazing to see how well Switch is doing in its seventh year. TotK is boosting those numbers way up.

DIOlCsJ.png

AUxZhTG.png

If you are Nintendo seeing those numbers, the pressure to put out a new system is not really there yet. Let's just hope they get the transition right and we don't have to wait another year or more for hardware like Drake - supposedly finished, but more and more outdated the longer they wait.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind me copying this from neogaf, found it interesting just how strong Switch sales are still in Japan. Especially compared to PS5. While I'm still on team 2023 and can't wait for the new system, it's amazing to see how well Switch is doing in its seventh year. TotK is boosting those numbers way up.

DIOlCsJ.png

AUxZhTG.png

If you are Nintendo seeing those numbers, the pressure to put out a new system is not really there yet. Let's just hope they get the transition right and we don't have to wait another year or more for hardware like Drake - supposedly finished, but more and more outdated the longer they wait.
People focus way too much on hardware numbers when software numbers are the bigger tell. If overall software numbers start rapidly contracting then Nintendo may accelerate their table. If they see a slight decrease, stay flat, or even increase then that relieves a lot of pressure from the timetable.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom