• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Get your popcorn ready. I think it's gonna be a fun next couple months.

I know nothing.

Except pure, unrestrained optimism of course.

It's kind of weird to say this, but although my interest in the Nintendo Switch is at an all-time low after TotK was released, my interest in Nintendo-related news is at an all-time high. Just thinking about all of Nintendo's first and second-party studios working with new hardware is so exciting, but it's not just that.

This is the first hardware generation for Nintendo's new leadership. Are they gonna fumble the bag? Will they nail it? Are they also interested in gimmicks? How are Nintendo games going to look now that they're finally ahead of the 360/PS3/Wii U generation's visuals? Will the OS change? How will purchases carry over? How will backwards compatibility work?

I've spent an unhealthy amount of time thinking about this

Why on earth would we assume a November 2024 launch...
You don't have to, but that's how I feel. I understand the silence around an upcoming Direct sure...but if Switch 2 was coming out this holiday, I feel like we'd be getting way more than uncle murmurings. I'm talking patent publications, part orders from outlets like Bloomberg or Nikkei, a new "imminent" article, etc. We've barely even had fake leaks. For me, it is way way too quiet.

Interesting developments tend to occur when I’m traveling, so I missed the initial excitement of the new job postings. Thanks to @Kysen, @oldpuck, and a few others’ excellent Nancy Drewing, it seems highly plausible that the open positions are for eSOL’s Nintendo products. Based on my own translation (assisted by machine translation) here are some observations:
  • The anonymous job post (not the ones directly associated with eSOL) was posted by a staffing agency. Therefore, it is a “dispatch” job (派遣) to the client site (eSOL Osaka office).
  • Unfortunately, it indicates that the renewable 3-month contract most likely does not hint at the release window of this “next gen console”. It is just a standard dispatch duration.
  • The job title is “Programmer, Control and Embedded Systems”. Looking at the job responsibilities, however, the position is more akin to what we call a “Sales Engineer” in the US.
  • The “post release defect handling” machine translation isn’t quite accurate. I’d translate that to “post release bug reports”. Note that it most likely refers to the release (from eSOL to Nintendo) of each software revision, not the release of the customer’s hardware product (Nintendo’s console or devkit).
  • What’s intriguing to me is the thinly veiled “Kyoto game company” reference in the subject line. If this job post was pre-approved by eSOL, I wonder why they were bold enough to be this public about it—are they expecting an announcement from the customer in the near future?
  • Or, it could simply be a blunder by the staffing agency, revealing more information than they should have.
Edit: clarity
It seems like it was a blunder by the staffing agency, as that anonymous job listing on Adecco has been removed.

SO if this guy is to be trusted, is he saying in August we should have a direct revealing the next hardware?

Devils advocate, the previous tweets says "xbox,ps,pc,etc" so its possible its coming to the amico.

FwYdAdTX0AEfNjG.jpg

Even if it doesn’t mean anything is imminent, I’m just glad we’re getting something to chew on.

I’ve said it a few times now but I really think by the end of this month we’ll have a clearer view of what Nintendo’s plan is. Potential direct / potential twitter drops, shareholder meeting, more random unverifiable information from the internet… Let’s go!

I think if there’s anything we can be sure of is that the new hardware will release, at the latest, Holiday 2024.
This is exactly why I don't understand the impatience of so many people. I think it's reasonable to assume that the next hardware release won't be after 2024. So the timeframe ranges from a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 18 months. As long as we have games in the meantime, I don't see the problem at all. I'm personally much more excited and impatient about upcoming game announcements than I am about consoles.

We haven't had a new Metroid Prime in over 15 years, and never an unreleased episode in HD. If Prime 4 came out this Christmas on Switch 1, I'd be perfectly fine with it. We haven't had a new DK game in almost ten years either, and the New Super Mario formula is over 15 years old and in need of a change. Not to mention ports that would make a ton of sense on Switch because they'd bring a better gaming experience to such wonderful and little-known mainstream titles as F-Zero GX or Kid Icarus Uprising.

In short, no matter when the Switch 2 comes out, it's not the hardware I'm most excited about at the moment.

This is exactly why I don't understand the impatience of so many people. I think it's reasonable to assume that the next hardware release won't be after 2024. So the timeframe ranges from a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 18 months. As long as we have games in the meantime, I don't see the problem at all. I'm personally much more excited and impatient about upcoming game announcements than I am about consoles.

We haven't had a new Metroid Prime in over 15 years, and never an unreleased episode in HD. If Prime 4 came out this Christmas on Switch 1, I'd be perfectly fine with it. We haven't had a new DK game in almost ten years either, and the New Super Mario formula is over 15 years old and in need of a change. Not to mention ports that would make a ton of sense on Switch because they'd bring a better gaming experience to such wonderful and little-known mainstream titles as F-Zero GX or Kid Icarus Uprising.

In short, no matter when the Switch 2 comes out, it's not the hardware I'm most excited about at the moment.
Bbut we can’t be excited for these upcoming games because they are gonna release on inferior hardware. I agree with everything you say and ive been saying the same for over a year now.

18 months is a lot, Switch has started to feel dated for quite some time already (to me at least) and I still consider the OLED announcement as a betrayal because we deserved better.
So yea at this point, I'm waiting mostly for a reveal no matter when this releases, but I'm always a bit triggered when I see someone claim or imply that a holiday 2024 would be "fine" 🫢

Also it seems the Japanese Nintendo Direct page has been updated, which tends to precede a Direct.
If that's indeed a "classic" Direct it probably won't involve hardware but well.

I’m Team 2023, but I get your point. Yes, the console will most certainly release in a 18 month period, but it’s also possible it’s less. There seems to be a lot of smoke regarding the console. It’s only a matter of time before it leaks

Regarding the increasing rumors about an upcoming direct and the "show your interest in Metroid Prime 4" pages on the My Nintendo Store, I think it's reasonable to expect news about it soon.

Regarding the increasing rumors about an upcoming direct and the "show your interest in Metroid Prime 4" pages on the My Nintendo Store, I think it's reasonable to expect news about it soon.
Also given MP remaster, which imo wouldn't have made sense to release too far away from
prime 4.

Bbut we can’t be excited for these upcoming games because they are gonna release on inferior hardware. I agree with everything you say and ive been saying the same for over a year now.
I agree with you, and would have found TOTK perfect for selling the Switch 2 for example, but the game was planned for Switch 1 from the start. That's why I took examples of games that are going to be released on Switch 1 anyway, whether we have new hardware or not. A 2D Mario, a new DK or ports don't need more powerful hardware/ won't be limited by current hardware.

Even Prime 4 is a Switch 1 game, no matter what. It was developed with current hardware in mind, like TOTK. If we then have an improved version, that's great; if not, there's plenty to take advantage of the technical evolutions between Prime 3 designed for the Wii and Prime 4 designed for the Switch. And there's nothing to stop Retro from already working on a game for the next generation - in fact, it's extremely likely at this stage.

I’m Team 2023, but I get your point. Yes, the console will most certainly release in a 18 month period, but it’s also possible it’s less. There seems to be a lot of smoke regarding the console. It’s only a matter of time before it leaks
18 months is the maximum. So it could obviously be less, in the worst case the wait isn't very long. There are parameters we don't know, but I'm sure that whatever the release date of the Switch 2 (late 2023, mid-2024 or late 2024), Nintendo will make the most coherent choice for them, I'm not worried. Games need to be ready, shortages need to be avoided as much as possible, and there are plenty of other things to take into account.

All I'm asking is to avoid dry spells, whether on my Switch 1 or at the launch of next-generation hardware. That's my big concern. Because I suffered as a gamer from the lack of games on N64 and Gamecube (I wasn't interested in the Wii, but its end-of-life was difficult too). If at Christmas I play good games on my current Switch, everything will be fine, and if the Switch 2 is available, everything will be fine too.

18 months is a lot, Switch has started to feel dated for quite some time already (to me at least) and I still consider the OLED announcement as a betrayal because we deserved better.
I understand that the console is showing its age, and I'll be the first to be delighted when the next one comes out. However, I don't understand what betrayal you're talking about. Nintendo, which is a company and not our friend, has never promised anything on this subject. As for "deserving better", once again this personalizes a relationship that doesn't need to be personalized in my opinion.

A consumer either buys stuff or doesn't buy stuff, it's not an emotional relationship. And commercially, to be "betrayed" not by a console that exists and offers TOTK on its end of life but by something that doesn't exist yet is strange to me.

This is exactly why I don't understand the impatience of so many people.
It's not complicated, especially for docked gamers and especially for docked gamers who also play on other platforms, Switch is extremely outdated and if we have to wait another 18 months It'll be like playing on something from the dark ages.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom