• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

There is a lot unknown even if the leak contains the correct info regarding REDACTED and t239.
Clock speeds, memory amount and speed etc.
Anyway, we’ll see soon I hope !
Lots of unknown for sure, but knowing the specific hardware can definitely help establish a baseline/worst case scenario.

Given the predictions so far, even the worst case scenario for the chip (Samsung 8nm, low clocks, etc.) is an upgrade I'd be happy with. Good enough for me! :D

~This is speculation territory. So proceed with caution.~
Assuming Macronix's 96-layer 3D NAND is comparable to Intel SSD 665p, then Macronix's 96-layer 3D NAND could be capable of up to 2 GB/s of sequential read speeds, which is comparable to UFS 3.0/3.1.

There's also a rumour from a couple of years ago that Nintendo's sampling Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND. And assuming Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND is comparable to Samsung's PM953, then Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND could be capable of up to 1 GB/s of sequential read speeds, which is comparable to UFS 2.1/2.2.

I'd caution from reading too much into comparisons with SSDs. Although the underlying technology is similar (we think), the implementation is very different. In particular, SSDs achieve high read speeds via parallelisation across several NAND chips. Game cards only use a single chip, so we should expect speeds to be lower, perhaps substantially so. There are also potentially other limitations like power consumption or the performance of the security ASIC which may limit things further.

Asking people who are knowledgeable about memory I/O: Does the Game Card need to be updated to reach these hypothetical speeds? Take the SD cards for example, extra pins are required for UHS-II, UHS-III, and SD Express:

gsmarena_007.jpg

Aside from ensuring backward compatibility, a potential benefit of extra pins might be to prevent piracy of cross-gen titles. In theory, Nintendo can include a private key that’s only accessible from the extra pins, and the private key is used to unlock Drake-only features and assets (e.g., 8 player co-op, DLSS, hi-res textures, etc.). If one dumps the ROM via a hacked Erista/Mariko model, they can’t access the key and thus can only dump it as a last-gen game, not cross-gen. Without any dumped cross-gen titles, it might be exceedingly difficult to develop an emulator for the Drake model.

As per SwitchBrew, the game card uses an 8 bit SPI-style interface. Supported clock speeds are 25MHz and 50MHz, which gives bandwidth of either 25MB/s or 50MB/s.

If [redacted] to use the same game card format without extra pins, then the limit (aside from the game cards themselves, security ASICs, etc.) would be how high they can clock the interface. Unfortunately I can't find many examples of SPI-style interfaces clocking significantly higher than this. Most SPI devices max out at around 50MHz or so, with a couple at about 100MHz. I don't think this represents a limit of the technology, as you can easily find 20 year old devices using 50MHz SPI interfaces, it's just that manufacturers have moved away from SPI to other interfaces when they need hundreds of MB/s.

I'd be surprised if they went with a substantially higher SPI interface speed, though (ie more than 100-200MHz). Both DS and 3DS game cards also used an 8 bit SPI-style interface (different from Switch's, though), with the DS using 4.2MHz/6.7MHz clocks, and the 3DS using 16.6MHz. That means that over the past three generations of game cards, they've increased the interface speed by about 3x each time. Continuing on the same trend, we'd expect a clock of around 150MHz, and read speeds of around 150MB/s on [redacted] game cards if they update the existing interface.

The alternative would be to use a different interface than SPI. If they want to maintain backwards compatibility, that would mean adding extra pins, as with the SD examples. There are, of course, a lot of options available to them. One lane (4 data pins) of PCIe 4.0 would give them up to 2GB/s of bandwidth. MIPI M-PHY 4.1 with two lanes (4 data pins) would exceed 2GB/s, and one lane (2 data pins) would exceed 1GB/s. Both of these interfaces are built into Orin already, and presumably T239, too. These are overkill for Nintendo's use-case, though, as they're both bi-directional, whereas Nintendo only needs high speeds in one direction. MIPI's D-PHY is perhaps more suitable as an out-of-the-box option for asymmetrical data requirements, which is commonly used for cameras and displays in mobile devices. The latest spec would achieve speeds of about 1GB/s. Nintendo could also design their own interface, as they have done up to this point.

One potential issue with adding extra pins is where you place them. The pins on the Switch game card already take up almost half of the back of the card. Adding another row above it wouldn't really leave much space to hold it. Perhaps they could make the card a bit wider and add another column of pins for the new protocol, although they'd have to do so in a way that it's easy and obvious how to insert existing Switch game cards into the same slot.

These speeds still seem way too low compared to even a budget SSD.
I wonder if games that rely on fast storage could decide to have core files stored on the cartridge and force the user to download other assets on a first launch and store them in the system's memory (not the SD card) for quicker access.
Kinda like games such as GRID that allow you to download better textures after you've downloaded the game.
That is, if Nintendo decides to use faster storage on Switch 2's NAND.

I wonder if games that rely on fast storage could decide to have core files stored on the cartridge and force the user to download other assets on a first launch and store them in the system's memory (not the SD card) for quicker access.
Kinda like games such as GRID that allow you to download better textures after you've downloaded the game.
A better idea would be to put the whole game on system memory or SD card and use the cart as a key. Splitting between two different speed mediums would induce stuttering at worse

Yeah, I remember Satoru Iwata announcing a new home console called "Revolution" and he said "the graphics will make you say Wow!". Fan-pages had absurd theories how to pack good graphics in the small then-called-revolution-console they showed us and were in utter disbelief when Matt Casamassina for IGN broke the news it was 1.5 Gamecubes duct-taped.
Yet in hindsight we can see how it was almost definitely the right decision and kept them in the home console market for a little longer after the poor performance of N64/GCN. It's also what truly helped them become a household name and gain huge mindshare in relation to their home consoles.; Where I live most people only knew Nintendo for handhelds until the Wii. It set them up for success with the Switch. Who knows if Switch would've been as popular if Nintendo didn't have such success on the home console + handheld front until then. I think in hindsight Nintendo's home consoles were sort of always on borrowed time after the SNES. Every single platform holder who tried to support 2 platforms was kicked back to their strong point - Sega went back to arcades, Sony back to home consoles, Nintendo back to handhelds/portables. 2 platforms to support was simple untenable for any gaming company.

A better idea would be to put the whole game on system memory or SD card and use the cart as a key. Splitting between two different speed mediums would induce stuttering at worse
That would be awful for physical media collectors. Besides, I can't see Nintendo doing it because this and last gen, basically every single piece of physical media had the whole game on-cart playable from the get go (as you could simply opt out from updating).

That would be awful for physical media collectors. Besides, I can't see Nintendo doing it because this and last gen, basically every single piece of physical media had the whole game on-cart playable from the get go (as you could simply opt out from updating).
In the end, the rule for every single thing in this thread is - if it saves money and allows them to balance the price-performance-battery triangle then they'll probably do it. Making games mostly download only I imagine has more pros than cons for Nintendo's business and most consumers would probably accept it (sadly). There's precedent with other gaming companies having done the same too.

What kind of expandable storage solution can be expected if game cartridge read speeds could end up well above of what a micro SD card can achieve?

In the end, the rule for every single thing in this thread is - if it saves money and allows them to balance the price-performance-battery triangle then they'll probably do it. Making games mostly download only I imagine has more pros than cons for Nintendo's business and most consumers would probably accept it (sadly). There's precedent with other gaming companies having done the same too.
I don't know. I think the fact that you can slap in a game card and just start playing, is a significant part of the Switches appeal.

I still can't see why or how Nintendo would drop physical media support this gen. It would heavily imply that the console wouldn't have retrocompatibility.
Even if they only supported it for Switch titles and made every Switch 2 title digital, it wouldn't make sense because unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo's main source of revenue comes from selling games. Having physical media widely spread across retailers around the world is very important for availability - selling more games to a wider audience.

Keep in mind, having a parent buy a box with a cartridge that you can simply plop into a console and play is way more enticing to them then asking for their credit card to make purchases (most parents won't) or, buying a gift card that their kid (and even the parent) might not know how to use.

sure, for Nintendo games, having the whole game on the card makes sense. but keeping the option for third parties allows them the best of both worlds. but at the end of the day, it's what's beneficial to their bottom line, and as soon as higher sized cards become too costly, they'll dip all the same

Report on Nvidia prioritising enterprise and AI products …
higher margin products getting priority isn't weird. that won't affect customer products like Drake though

I still can't see why or how Nintendo would drop physical media support this gen. It would heavily imply that the console wouldn't have retrocompatibility.
Even if they only supported it for Switch titles and made every Switch 2 title digital, it wouldn't make sense because unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo's main source of revenue comes from selling games. Having physical media widely spread across retailers around the world is very important for availability - selling more games to a wider audience.

Keep in mind, having a parent buy a box with a cartridge that you can simply plop into a console and play is way more enticing to them then asking for their credit card to make purchases (most parents won't) or, buying a gift card that their kid (and even the parent) might not know how to use.
I don’t think Nintendo will go digital only.
However, in 2023 when pretty much everyone who could be in the position to buy a console has a smart phone or tablet with Google or Apple accounts and gift cards being everywhere, I don’t really think tiny easily lost cartridges are as important as you do.

I don't know. I think the fact that you can slap in a game card and just start playing, is a significant part of the Switches appeal.
Yeah for me too, but I think the jury's out on this one. I get what you mean since not everyone has persistent internet connection, but I suppose that's part of the challenge for Nintendo in their follow up. Switch is a mass market product intended to appeal to many different types of consumers. They want to satisfy those customers enough to the point where they determine their new console as worth of purchase, in turn retaining as many of them as possible. Management will have to make a value judgement based on the data they have, as to whether they think having more games as partial/full downloads is worth it. I can imagine more third/second parties definitely relying a lot more on it, since they have less incentive/skin in the game. A good amount already do on Switch right now to be honest, and some games aren't the full experience without their updates like Splatoon 2 and 3, Mario Tennis Aces, Switch Sports, Mario Golf, Mario Strikers Battle League, ARMS, Animal Crossing New Horizons etc.... I think Nintendo themselves will avoid it and have the full game on cart though (obviously without updates, like TOTK got it's day 1 stability update).

Oh no I don't think they'll drop it altogether, for the reasons you mention. The launch model will definitely have physical media compatability. But I imagine the idea of reducing reliance on physical media to make gains in other areas very well may be in the back of their minds, with what the rest of the market is doing. Think of it like maybe dipping their toes in it, like with the Switch Lite.

unrelated to this comment, but I wonder how large they’d make the Substrate for T239, nvidia doesn’t seem to make them small based on the other Silicon they make, even though they can be small as shown with Van Gogh. Their substrate overall end up being noticeably larger than the actual SoC.

So I wonder if it’ll be smaller relatively speaking this time and closer to something like how Van Gogh is, or if it’ll be noticeably larger again.

Here’s the TX1 for anyone else:

digitalfoundry-2017-custom-tegra-processor-inside-switch-outed-as-standard-tegra-x1-1489933609754.jpg

And here’s Van Gogh:

AMD-Van-Gogh-APU-Linus.jpg

We do focus on the size of the actual chip in theory, but I wonder if we should also discuss the substrate the chip itself sits on.

Even the PS5, Series X and Series S (in order) have noticeably larger substrates:

index.php

project-scarlett-chip-made-in-malaysia-01.jpg

970-default.jpg

Going to be a bit of an odd question and you may or may not know the answer, but what determines how big the Substrate is?

Since I usually play handheld, I stay in airplane mode most of the time, and hadn't caught that Tears has a 1.1.1 update.

Still scanning through, but John puts some numbers on the "V2 switches seem to perform better" as well as discussing where Tears (and in general, the Switch itself) has bottlenecks. Nothing surprising, but a lot validating.

Do XSX and PS5 games come on UHD or regular bluray? If Nintendo goes back to some kind of UHD mini disc they'd have to break physical BC with Switch or re-release everything. I pray they stick with carts and figure that whole cost thing out because I want AT LEAST one more gen of physical media before the digital apocolypse.

The simpler solution is just that some games require installing from the game card, without any download. Games that don't need super-fast storage can run directly off the game card and get ~150MB/s. Games that require fast storage get installed when you first plug them in and get to make use of the much faster internal storage (or hopefully fast external storage).

Mandatory installs is almost a forbidden phrase around here, but it's been the standard in the rest of the industry for a long time now. Outside of Nintendo, it's been a decade since you could buy any device which can play games directly off the physical media. The increasing move to digital also makes it less and less worthwhile for Nintendo to spend the money on high-speed game cards. In Switch's first full FY on the market, Nintendo's digital revenue was 60.8B yen, under 6% of overall revenue. This past FY it was 405.2B yen, or a bit over 25% of revenue. Digital currently accounts for 48.2% of software sales, and although they didn't report this as a percentage before, at a rough estimate it would have been around 11-12% in that first FY. It's not unreasonable to expect that digital would account for 80%+ of software revenue by the end of [redacted]'s generation.

Mandatory installs will impact a smaller and smaller proportion of their audience as the generation goes on, and once you start building internal storage around the idea that a large portion of your audience is download-only, I don't think it would even have a meaningful impact on the amount of on-board storage they would need.

unrelated to this comment, but I wonder how large they’d make the Substrate for T239, nvidia doesn’t seem to make them small based on the other Silicon they make, even though they can be small as shown with Van Gogh. Their substrate overall end up being noticeably larger than the actual SoC.

So I wonder if it’ll be smaller relatively speaking this time and closer to something like how Van Gogh is, or if it’ll be noticeably larger again.

digitalfoundry-2017-custom-tegra-processor-inside-switch-outed-as-standard-tegra-x1-1489933609754.jpg

And here’s Van Gogh:

We do focus on the size of the actual chip in theory, but I wonder if we should also discuss the substrate the chip itself sits on.

Even the PS5, Series X and Series S (in order) have noticeably larger substrates:

index.php

970-default.jpg

Going to be a bit of an odd question and you may or may not know the answer, but what determines how big the Substrate is?

I would assume it's determined by the pinout underneath the substrate. More pins (or more specifically solder balls, I suppose) take up more area. I'm guessing there are different options in terms of ball pitch (spacing between the balls), so maybe you can go with a tighter pitch to save space.

Do XSX and PS5 games come on UHD or regular bluray? If Nintendo goes back to some kind of UHD mini disc they'd have to break physical BC with Switch or re-release everything. I pray they stick with carts and figure that whole cost thing out because I want AT LEAST one more gen of physical media before the digital apocolypse.
they definitely won't change physical media. discs hit the wall a long time ago. a new format would have to be invented (which isn't impossible) but no one is gonna do that

Since I usually play handheld, I stay in airplane mode most of the time, and hadn't caught that Tears has a 1.1.1 update.
Update: just did some testing with 1.1.1, and it seems to improve at least one rare, but major, performance issue related to asset streaming.

If you drop from sky to chasm (or, in some places, above ground to chasm) fast enough (skydiving, or just without paraglider) you can get a hard lock for as long as a couple seconds, in the chasm on the way down. I got this constantly in 1.1, but testing it with 1.1.1 I cannot replicate, even in the North Lomei sky labyrinth where you can straight shot from top-of-sky to the underground which was my most consistent test case.

An underrated technical achievement is Nintendo building an open-world centric engine with an incredible asset loading system while UE4 based games continue to blow it.

I believe they're using 100GB discs. Not sure if it's the UHD format, specifically. There's some weird competing format nonsense with higher end blu-rays. Could be BDXL.

There is no risk of Nintendo switching to optical or going digital only. The former has never worked especially well portably, and the latter would be cutting out a huge chunk of their customer base.

I would not mind Nintendo going digital at some point in time if they gave me an option to go digital for free and/or have large storage to accommodate.

By for free I mean, the cart would be rendered useless and you can convert it to a digital option.

Because I don’t feel like buying a game again.

the video shows that memory bandwidth might play an important roll in getting open world games to run. at least with how Nintendo builds them
I think RAM bandwidth's still going to be one of the biggest bottlenecks for Nintendo's new hardware (and for hybrid and/or handheld consoles in general).

An underrated technical achievement is Nintendo building an open-world centric engine with an incredible asset loading system while UE4 based games continue to blow it.
This. So fucking much.
SMT V has some stupid pop-in issues while even BoTW released way earlier as a port of a game on a completely different platform had it WAY better.

Update: just did some testing with 1.1.1, and it seems to improve at least one rare, but major, performance issue related to asset streaming.

If you drop from sky to chasm (or, in some places, above ground to chasm) fast enough (skydiving, or just without paraglider) you can get a hard lock for as long as a couple seconds, in the chasm on the way down. I got this constantly in 1.1, but testing it with 1.1.1 I cannot replicate, even in the North Lomei sky labyrinth where you can straight shot from top-of-sky to the underground which was my most consistent test case.

Oh that's good. That's the only time anything performance related has taken me out of the game.

I'll have to test it for myself later!

Think more PS4 Pro BEFORE DLSS in raw grunt.
Hopefully, but it really depends on the node. If its 4N, yep, but if its Samsung 5nm probably closer to PS4 than PS4 Pro. Honestly, anything north of PS4 on the GPU side will be adequate. PS4 GPU grunt with DLSS would still give Nintendo's development teams a ton of extra performance compared to what they have been working with since 2012. Its hard to accurately compare PS4 Pro to Redacted as well. The GNC architecture in PS4 Pro is old and inefficient compared to Ampere, but it does still have the peak "theoretical" FLOP advantage and of course a massive memory bandwidth advantage. Im guessing that most games on Redacted will render internally at 1080p and use DLSS to scale to 4K.

And here’s Van Gogh:

index.php

970-default.jpg

I have been curious about this as well. Its obvious that the substrate is pretty big for the X1 relative to the processors size, and if this could be reduced significantly, it becomes easier to see a 180mm2 SOC fitting on the Switch's main board. The Van Gogh is actually taking up less space on the Steam Decks board compared to the X1 in the Switch because the substrate is so much smaller, and the Van Gogh is 163mm2 compared to the X1 at 118mm2.

I'd caution from reading too much into comparisons with SSDs. Although the underlying technology is similar (we think), the implementation is very different. In particular, SSDs achieve high read speeds via parallelisation across several NAND chips. Game cards only use a single chip, so we should expect speeds to be lower, perhaps substantially so. There are also potentially other limitations like power consumption or the performance of the security ASIC which may limit things further.

As per SwitchBrew, the game card uses an 8 bit SPI-style interface. Supported clock speeds are 25MHz and 50MHz, which gives bandwidth of either 25MB/s or 50MB/s.

If [redacted] to use the same game card format without extra pins, then the limit (aside from the game cards themselves, security ASICs, etc.) would be how high they can clock the interface. Unfortunately I can't find many examples of SPI-style interfaces clocking significantly higher than this. Most SPI devices max out at around 50MHz or so, with a couple at about 100MHz. I don't think this represents a limit of the technology, as you can easily find 20 year old devices using 50MHz SPI interfaces, it's just that manufacturers have moved away from SPI to other interfaces when they need hundreds of MB/s.

I'd be surprised if they went with a substantially higher SPI interface speed, though (ie more than 100-200MHz). Both DS and 3DS game cards also used an 8 bit SPI-style interface (different from Switch's, though), with the DS using 4.2MHz/6.7MHz clocks, and the 3DS using 16.6MHz. That means that over the past three generations of game cards, they've increased the interface speed by about 3x each time. Continuing on the same trend, we'd expect a clock of around 150MHz, and read speeds of around 150MB/s on [redacted] game cards if they update the existing interface.

The alternative would be to use a different interface than SPI. If they want to maintain backwards compatibility, that would mean adding extra pins, as with the SD examples. There are, of course, a lot of options available to them. One lane (4 data pins) of PCIe 4.0 would give them up to 2GB/s of bandwidth. MIPI M-PHY 4.1 with two lanes (4 data pins) would exceed 2GB/s, and one lane (2 data pins) would exceed 1GB/s. Both of these interfaces are built into Orin already, and presumably T239, too. These are overkill for Nintendo's use-case, though, as they're both bi-directional, whereas Nintendo only needs high speeds in one direction. MIPI's D-PHY is perhaps more suitable as an out-of-the-box option for asymmetrical data requirements, which is commonly used for cameras and displays in mobile devices. The latest spec would achieve speeds of about 1GB/s. Nintendo could also design their own interface, as they have done up to this point.

One potential issue with adding extra pins is where you place them. The pins on the Switch game card already take up almost half of the back of the card. Adding another row above it wouldn't really leave much space to hold it. Perhaps they could make the card a bit wider and add another column of pins for the new protocol, although they'd have to do so in a way that it's easy and obvious how to insert existing Switch game cards into the same slot.
It's not clear to me that extra pins would be strictly necessary so long as they have enough pins for the new protocol and a way to negotiate between them. Granted, that first assumption could easily be broken, but the memory chips are custom enough that a negotiation mechanism seems feasible.

I have been curious about this as well. Its obvious that the substrate is pretty big for the X1 relative to the processors size, and if this could be reduced significantly, it becomes easier to see a 180mm2 SOC fitting on the Switch's main board. The Van Gogh is actually taking up less space on the Steam Decks board compared to the X1 in the Switch because the substrate is so much smaller, and the Van Gogh is 163mm2 compared to the X1 at 118mm2.
Pixel C (TX1 Erista) has a much smaller substrate footprint, so it can be done:
VvLqE3hmeH6tQcCw.huge

Launch Switch (TX1 Erista)
MvJEDTUnxMS4Olqs.huge

I think it has nothing to do with the next gen game price, and that it will remain specific to Zelda or some other big titles.

Because that's was alerady like that in others régions !!!

It's only a globalization of the pricing policy. In Europe the main Zelda already cost 10€ more since years (like BOTW, but also SS and TP on Wii).
And unless I'm mistaken, it was also the case in Japan.
both
I would assume most large games will blow through 16 GBs once Nintendo starts including higher quality assets in their games.

Nate in this very thread.
next mainline Legend of Zelda with 16/18GB for it file size?

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but could it be that Nintendo chose to use a 32GB cart with Zelda TotK in order to pull sufficient volume in order to start driving down the cost of the 32GB carts? With Zelda TotK sitting right at 16GB, it seems odd for Nintendo to not go with the cheaper 16GB cart, even if that would require a couple GB to be downloaded into system memory. Nintendo knows that larger carts will be necessary with Redacted, and since the volume for 32GB carts has never been very high, there is no reason for the manufacture to lower the cost. Im guessing that 16GB carts are less than half the cost of 32GB, maybe even a third seeing as how that would be the most popular size. Nintendo see's an opportunity to put in orders for 20+ million 32GB carts for Zelda TotK and is able to get a head start on negotiating lower priced carts going forward.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but could it be that Nintendo chose to use a 32GB cart with Zelda TotK in order to pull sufficient volume in order to start driving down the cost of the 32GB carts? With Zelda TotK sitting right at 16GB, it seems odd for Nintendo to not go with the cheaper 16GB cart, even if that would require a couple GB to be downloaded into system memory. Nintendo knows that larger carts will be necessary with Redacted, and since the volume for 32GB carts has never been very high, there is no reason for the manufacture to lower the cost. Im guessing that 16GB carts are less than half the cost of 32GB, maybe even a third seeing as how that would be the most popular size. Nintendo see's an opportunity to put in orders for 20+ million 32GB carts for Zelda TotK and is able to get a head start on negotiating lower priced carts going forward.
Nintendo doesn't do the "download required" thing. Don't think it's more complicated than that.

I see people proposing mandatory installs or mandatory downloads for a Game Card, but I really don't think they'll do that. They're dirty words for a reason. Mandatory installs from a cartridge just won't go down well with anyone.

If a game can't function on a Game Card, it can always be download only. That's already the case for plenty of big Switch games where a Game Card proved troublesome due to price or size constraints. If a game works on a Game Card but provides optional installs for a better experience, I don't think anyone would complain about that.

I don't think we have to worry about mandatory installs for Game Cards. Not just for the above but also because, unlike disks, they can get faster, get bigger, get better, without some hugely new format. If they choose to go for fast storage (>200MB/s) on the new device, which personally I actually doubt, little stops them from using faster Game Cards. There's plenty of room for extra pins with plenty of tolerance.

As, I think, Dakhil pointed out, increased density from more layers can mean more speed. These are "controller-less" Game Cards, the storage controller for them is on the Nintendo Switch system itself. As such, if you expect internal storage to improve in speed considerably, what's so hard to believe about them improving the controller for the Game Card, with say, a faster clock? Or adding more pins? Or both?

I see people proposing mandatory installs or mandatory downloads for a Game Card, but I really don't think they'll do that. They're dirty words for a reason. Mandatory installs from a cartridge just won't go down well with anyone.

If a game can't function on a Game Card, it can always be download only. That's already the case for plenty of big Switch games where a Game Card proved troublesome due to price or size constraints. If a game works on a Game Card but provides optional installs for a better experience, I don't think anyone would complain about that.

I don't think we have to worry about mandatory installs for Game Cards. Not just for the above but also because, unlike disks, they can get faster, get bigger, get better, without some hugely new format. If they choose to go for fast storage (>200MB/s) on the new device, which personally I actually doubt, little stops them from using faster Game Cards. There's plenty of room for extra pins with plenty of tolerance.

As, I think, Dakhil pointed out, increased density from more layers can mean more speed. These are "controller-less" Game Cards, the storage controller for them is on the Nintendo Switch system itself. As such, if you expect internal storage to improve in speed considerably, what's so hard to believe about them improving the controller for the Game Card, with say, a faster clock? Or adding more pins? Or both?
The issue isn't the tech, it's the price. If 32 gb cards already costs 14$ on the current speed, then forget any dev going with something even more premium,.

no, Nintendo choose a 32GB cartdridge for Tears of The Kingdom because the game is massive, the game feature 3 planes of exploration(sky, surface and undeground, with underground been a mirrored darker version of Hyrule, with the same size of Breath of the Wild Hyrule, with the 120 shirnes in the surfaces equalling the Lightroot in the undeground)

MOD EDIT: Edited TotK spoiler

If we're talking actual hardware performance level in which I'm not that well versed in the nitty gritty to give anybody detailed specifics for example the chip, clocks, ram ect. In my own dumb blonde speak I'm going to guess it will be lower than Series S higher than PS4 maybe closer to the PS4 Pro with DLSS upscaling.

Basically powerful enough to get an ass load of capcom ports
RE4 remake and Resident Evil 8 Village not cloud version on Switch sucessor? next Monster Hunter game too?or i dreaming too much?

I was kinda joking about Capcom but I think they'll be quite a staunch supporter of the next platform, anything that sony hasn't moneyhatted is very plausible in my opinion.

I would assume it's determined by the pinout underneath the substrate. More pins (or more specifically solder balls, I suppose) take up more area. I'm guessing there are different options in terms of ball pitch (spacing between the balls), so maybe you can go with a tighter pitch to save space.
Pixel C (TX1 Erista) has a much smaller substrate footprint, so it can be done:
VvLqE3hmeH6tQcCw.huge

Launch Switch (TX1 Erista)
MvJEDTUnxMS4Olqs.huge
I do wonder if the reason why the substrate on the Tegra X1 on the Pixel C being smaller than the substrate on the Tegra X1 on the Nintendo Switch is because the Pixel C is using a binned Tegra X1.

The max CPU and GPU frequencies on the Tegra X1 on the Pixel C are 1.91 GHz and ~850 MHz respectively. But the max CPU and GPU frequencies on the Tegra X1 on the Nvidia Shield TV are 2 GHz and ~1 GHz respectively.

And the substrate on the Tegra X1 on the Nvidia Shield TV and the substrate on the Tegra X1 on the Nintendo Switch look to be the same size. (There seems to be an integrated heat spreader (IHS) installed around the substrate for the Tegra X1 on the Nvidia Shield TV. But I could be wrong.)
8vvu1tatnugy.jpg

And assuming that Nvidia removed some pinouts when binning the Tegra X1 (assuming Thraktor's assumption is correct), Nvidia could potentially make the substrate smaller to reduce costs.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread to bring this up, but apparently, Mortal Kombat 1 will be Switch's second $70 game. Just wondering if there's anything hardware related to gleam from this.

it'll probably be on a 32GB card with no distro deal from Nintendo. as long as it's feature complete, it's not really a ripoff or anything, so I don't see the "has no excuse being $70"

Not sure if this is the right thread to bring this up, but apparently, Mortal Kombat 1 will be Switch's second $70 game. Just wondering if there's anything hardware related to gleam from this.

Mortal Kombat 1 has a file size of 31.3 GB.

And considering a 32 GB Nintendo Switch Game Card probably has an actual capacity of 29.8 GB, if the DLC is >1.5 GB and is not included inside the Nintendo Switch Game Card, then there's a possibility WB Games used a 32 GB Nintendo Switch Card for Mortal Kombat 1.

Why does "FrameGenRatio" imply that specifically instead of "4" meaning that for every four real frames, they generate one frame.
That doesn't seem like something that would work in realtime. What would they do, generate 4 frames, use all of them to generate the fifth, then display them all? That would be quite a bit of extra latency. There's also that it would be trouble doing something like rendering 4 frames 15ms apart when they're intended to show images 12ms apart--to keep the images as far apart as they should be it would still have to be doing some work 12ms apart anyway to buffer it away until the rest of the system was ready to do a longer pass--and then just take a break every fifth frame?

But if you've got a system in place that takes information from frame A and frame B and can make a frame between, it's easy (from a standpoint of "how" rather than having the capability to do it fast enough) to have as many stops in between the frames as one wants.
IDK, 32 GB carts still being $14 per cart implies this has not been getting much cheaper.
One data point can't imply anything about change. Do we know anything about what the 32GB cards cost two or four or six years ago? Other than "more than publishers want to pay", which is still the case today.
I hope so.
There's no hoping about it, really. The only way it returns to being that bad is if Nintendo game cards sizes remain stuck at 32GB while the other guys adopt a terabyte disc format.
No one , including me thought that Wii would be so weak and so close to GameCube
Right. I think speculation at the time was more along the lines of "Series S", in that maybe it would be like Xbox 360 if Xbox 360 only had to do SD resolutions.
RE4 remake and Resident Evil 8 Village not cloud version on Switch sucessor? next Monster Hunter game too?or i dreaming too much?
The first two I would bet a thousand dollars on. Monster Hunter? Well, keeping World and Rise somewhat separate was more choice than necessity anyway, so no telling.

Isn't it the third? Skyrim Anniversary Edition (lol) was the first $70 game on Switch, followed by ToTK.

Isn't it the third? Skyrim Anniversary Edition (lol) was the first $70 game on Switch, followed by ToTK.
Skyrim Anniversary is only a $70 game in the same way that Breath of the Wild + Expansion Pass is an $80 game, or Xenoblade 3 + Expansion Pass is a $90 game.

Cardfight Vanguard game is actually the first $70 game on Switch, provided I'm not misremembering. Zelda is the second and I think Mortal Kombat 1 is the third at this point. Unless we missed one...

Yeah I mentioned it a few weeks ago before 32GB carts were confirmed for Totk. If it's anyone, Nintendo has to be the way to pave the way to bring down the costs. I can't imagine 32GB carts would go down in price much otherwise, cause supply and demand is/should be a big factor.

I wonder f MK1 will be using a 32GB cart on Switch even. How much was MK11?

Will be interesting to see how common $70 games will be next year as well.

Edit: Saw Dakhil's post just earlier after I posted. 32GB card is pretty likely then. Less than 30GB for the game (due to formatting, can't use all 32GB) and required downloadable to make up the remaining space.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom