• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Hey Famiboard Family! This is Mike Odyssey,

No more leaks or rumors from me.

I don't like this label I am getting lately as a leaker/insider rumor source. With all honesty I just want to make content that makes people happy. Those who have followed me for a while know this to be true. I don't shy away from my disability and I work hard to inspire others.So I've decided that every unreleased information I get from now on, I will either delete or forward to my closest Youtube friends in the field. Im not interested in being the first with news. I am interested in making people happy, that is all. You guys have one less lunatic to worry about when it comes to leaks lol I just want to make content. Hope you can check out my vids sometime. You might like what I have to offer. Take care everyone!
I'm sad to hear that. I quite like breaking news, no matter who breaks it!

I want to point out something while it's on my mind:

Most of the games in H1 of this year are remasters or games delayed from an earlier launch.

Bayonetta Origins is about the only Nintendo published game that is original and wasn't delayed.

So what would they be doing right now if they had no delays?

If people think Nintendo will ride out the next X amount of time with remasters or delayed games... They've already done that. And given their announcements all abruptly end at the start of H2, they're about to run out of track even with that strategy.

Uncharted territory indeed.

Between what @Thraktor shared about Nintendo release schedule history and the September Nintendo Live 2023 event, I really do think something with new hardware is going down later this year.

Also, I don’t care what people say, I think the Nintendo Live event is a hint that something special is coming.

Just because they are doing an event open to everyone doesn’t mean that it’s going to be swarmed by journalists and media. Why? Because they could do a huge media event like they did with the Switch announcement and blowout they did in NYC in 2017. Nintendo Live could mostly still focus on old hardware and games and have a section dedicated to the new hardware.

Plus, maybe they don’t have new hardware out for people to touch, but they could run trailers for the new hardware on repeat over and over. Because most people going to a Nintendo event like this probably already own a Switch 1. So, this would be a good time to hype them on the upcoming next generation Nintendo hardware.

It just seems like more than a coincidence that they would bring Nintendo Live to the states for the first time the same year they skip E3 live, have hardly anything new planned/announced for this year, and so many rumors/leaks are pointing to new hardware in the next 12 months.

So, maybe the Nintendo Live is just a basic event to highlight old stuff, but I think whether it’s there to promote a bunch of new stuff or not, still points to Nintendo getting ready to launch new hardware.

All I’m saying is I think we can through Nintendo Live 2023 on the pile of evidence, even if we don’t know exactly what it means.
Nintendo Live is strictly a family event. There's no reason to have anything that would grab the press' attention. If there was gonna be anything there that promoted Drake, it would be less than the bare minimum.

Most of the games in H1 of this year are remasters or games delayed from an earlier launch.

Bayonetta Origins is about the only Nintendo published game that is original and wasn't delayed.

If people think Nintendo will ride out the next X amount of time with remasters or delayed games... They've already done that. And given their announcements all abruptly end at the start of H2, they're about to run out of track even with that strategy.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they would have released other things that they are probably now holding like a new Mario sports title, Donkey Kong, the Wii U Zeldas, GameCube remasters and other things we've heard about for years etc.

So after digesting the news overnight, I am at a loss for what Nintendo has cooking for 2023 H2. I am seeing arguments for and against a new console release.

Yes to a 2023 launch:
  • The big elephant in the room. Nintendo has almost nothing after Pikmin 4 in July.
    • Sub point- Yes, Nintendo keeps things close to their chest in terms of marketing cycle, but every year (except for 2020 because of the pandemic) we know about at least a few Sept-Dec games by this point. Last year we knew about Splat 3, Bayo 3, M+R 2, and Pokemon before E3 season came around. The only game left after Pikmin 4 is Metroid Prime 4, which has been hanging around basically the entire life of the console.
  • Switch console sales continue to decline. Zelda will give them a small boost, but the system is long in the tooth.
  • Nintendo will want to get a system out there sooner than later so they don't lose 3rd party support.
  • Nintendo has released a lot of content in the 1H of this year already. Are they really going to go with a lighter 2H? Something tells me they are clearing the way for new hardware and a big launch.

No to a 2023 launch:
  • The lack of solid rumors about an impending reveal. I know we have seen a lot of stuff, but every console launch as the big guns (IGN, Gamespot, Polygon) reporting about impending launch details and we haven't seen that.
  • Nintendo could very easily announce a big holiday game in June like Mario or Donkey Kong and just build around that with more games. Speaking of....
  • There are several remasters circling the rumor mill these days (F-Zero, Paper Mario, Zelda). Those could easily slid in to fill the schedule for 2H 2023.
    • Sub-point- Is Nintendo really going to launch a new system with a bunch of remasters. I suppose the counter point to that would be backwards compatibility.
So at this point, I am all over the place. I will say that I think we know if 2023 is happening by the end of June.

So, how actual is this video:

Is any info he brings here dated or what is suppose to be know about switch 2 is the same?

It would be unsurprising that this video is considered accurate by this thread, since the video is explicit that it is quoting the thread.

Most of the delays were self-imposed. As far as we understand (I could easily be wrong on this), they could have released Fire Emblem in December 2021 if they wanted, yet chose not to. Metroid Prime was a similar story. Kirby has probably been sitting on a shelf too. The only delay that was out of their hands or unexpected was Advance Wars. They were probably happy enough to break their usual 'Game per month' schedule one month either side of Tears of the Kingdom, so when Advance Wars needed delaying, it slotted perfectly into their month light on releases. The rest was likely not so much delayed as scheduled so the release calendar is as busy as possible.

If we're not getting new hardware this year, a couple more of the rumoured remasters announced in June to fill two or three months, with two or three other original projects (Probably including smaller things like Bayonetta Origins) announced doesn't feel farfetched at all.

So after digesting the news overnight, I am at a loss for what Nintendo has cooking for 2023 H2. I am seeing arguments for and against a new console release.

Yes to a 2023 launch:
  • The big elephant in the room. Nintendo has almost nothing after Pikmin 4 in July.
    • Sub point- Yes, Nintendo keeps things close to their chest in terms of marketing cycle, but every year (except for 2020 because of the pandemic) we know about at least a few Sept-Dec games by this point. Last year we knew about Splat 3, Bayo 3, M+R 2, and Pokemon before E3 season came around. The only game left after Pikmin 4 is Metroid Prime 4, which has been hanging around basically the entire life of the console.
  • Switch console sales continue to decline. Zelda will give them a small boost, but the system is long in the tooth.
  • Nintendo will want to get a system out there sooner than later so they don't lose 3rd party support.
  • Nintendo has released a lot of content in the 1H of this year already. Are they really going to go with a lighter 2H? Something tells me they are clearing the way for new hardware and a big launch.

No to a 2023 launch:
  • The lack of solid rumors about an impending reveal. I know we have seen a lot of stuff, but every console launch as the big guns (IGN, Gamespot, Polygon) reporting about impending launch details and we haven't seen that.
  • Nintendo could very easily announce a big holiday game in June like Mario or Donkey Kong and just build around that with more games. Speaking of....
  • There are several remasters circling the rumor mill these days (F-Zero, Paper Mario, Zelda). Those could easily slid in to fill the schedule for 2H 2023.
    • Sub-point- Is Nintendo really going to launch a new system with a bunch of remasters. I suppose the counter point to that would be backwards compatibility.
So at this point, I am all over the place. I will say that I think we know if 2023 is happening by the end of June.

Another point for 'No to a 2023 launch' is that software sales are great. Even if hardware sales are declining, it still has really strong hardware numbers for a console in its 7th market year (maybe best ever?). Strong software sales also indicate that interest in the platform is very high

They can always revise at the quarterly meetings as we saw recently. What they can’t do is shoot big & then decrease way short.
Right but just looking at what we know of this CY so far we are seeing the Switch down 20-30% YoY in all regions, so I think they'd be hardpressed to justify a forecast above 14-15m, which is a number they likely will not hit anyway barring discounts/price cuts.

Another point for 'No to a 2023 launch' is that software sales are great. Even if hardware sales are declining, it still has really strong hardware numbers for a console in its 7th market year (maybe best ever?). Strong software sales also indicate that interest in the platform is very high
Software sales would not be negatively impacted by a new console with backwards compatibility and likely patches for older games.

I mean, come on, if anything it would IMPROVE sales.

You can have both. People invested in the console, and a new console.

Nintendo Live is strictly a family event. There's no reason to have anything that would grab the press' attention. If there was gonna be anything there that promoted Drake, it would be less than the bare minimum.
I said later on that I could see them running trailers for Switch 2. I’m not even saying that the event will be for promoting it.

I literally said even if it has nothing to do with the next gen Switch, I still think it’s presence on the calendar along with Nintendo’s lack of games seems to point to something special happening this fall.

I’m just saying I think this new event for North America could mean something (even if Switch 2 isn’t there) and everyone wrote it off too quickly. I’m trying to look at the bigger picture.

See that almost strikes me as the right time to introduce new hardware: when interest in the platform is high but hardware sales themselves are beginning to decline.

I said later on that I could see them running trailers for Switch 2. I’m not even saying that the event will be for promoting it.

I literally said even if it has nothing to do with the next gen Switch, I still think it’s presence on the calendar along with Nintendo’s lack of games seems to point to something special happening this fall.

I’m just saying I think this new event for North America could mean something (even if Switch 2 isn’t there) and everyone wrote it off too quickly. I’m trying to look at the bigger picture.
I guess, but I just don't see the event being that significant in the grand scheme of things and, imo, it doesn't really need to be.

That’s not relevant at all on this day and age especially for a system that will be backwards compatible with the predecessor system. The PlayStation 4 had incredible software attach rate, that didn’t mean that Sony delayed the PlayStation5 launch to 2022 or 2023. They did it before the attach rate started to decline severely.

Even on the PS4’s 7th year it has stellar attachment rate.

Hell, it’s 8th year too.

Last edited:
Software sales have also been in decline too though, and they had to revise their FY predictions on that front down as well, so it's declining faster than expected. Hence the reason for the return of the voucher program in NA.

There are a few routes Nintendo could make.

1. Traditional new generation with new logo and branding most likely another hybrid keeping the Switch concept. Hopefully backwards compatible with a couple year cross gen period. Next gen starts with small install base but is not held back by 2017 hardware.

2. Expand the Switch family with a new more powerful piece of hardware that will keep the enthusiast happy but is squarely a switch and the branding will stay that way. There will be very few exclusives for this but will get the occasional 3rd party game. This keeps the Install base very high for the next 3-4 years.

3. Stick with current hardware till the wheels fall off. No more powerful hardware till at least late 2025 or even 2026. Hoping current Switch family keeps things going. Probably would utilize a price drops and maybe a Oled Switch lite.

4. Complete new concept. This is obviously least likely, but it's Nintendo so you never know.

See that almost strikes me as the right time to introduce new hardware: when interest in the platform is high but hardware sales themselves are beginning to decline.
It's the evergreens. Software sales are good because Nintendo keeps making games people want to play. Hardware sales are good because people want to play Switch games. But Mario Kart sales are dropping.

That's because new hardware sales aren't expanding the install base. They're being driven by second systems/replacements. Which means a decent chunk of new hardware sales would jump to a comparably priced, backwards compatible successor. And that Nintendo can squeeze the last of the software sales out of the Switch install base with cross-gen titles. They don't need to keep the Switch as the primary platform to sell Switch games.

Eh I don't think he knows anything really (at the moment anyway). He's probably just out here using "patterns" and logic for his speculation like most people here.

"Nintendo's next-generation consoles will have Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon at launch, but if a new Zelda game is coming out now, I'll talk to wholesalers and manufacturers about when the next-generation consoles will be released."

Solid point. Uncles who have a track record don't exclusively post leaks, but also personal speculations and slice-of-life stuff. It's not a business for them but simply a part of their social media presence. Spectators/speculators may want to check the context of their messages to determine whether any given post is noteworthy.

In this case specifically, the tweet shared by @eye0h came a few days after the one above. It suggests that buyer uncle went to his manufacturer/wholesaler contacts to enquire about the release timing, and got some intel that got him excited.

it still has really strong hardware numbers for a console in its 7th market year (maybe best ever?)
I just now realized that the Switch was released six years ago, but it’s been on the market for seven 🥴 It really is time for a successor.

P.S. I really like your avatar, @Truno ! Ahahhaha

Right but just looking at what we know of this CY so far we are seeing the Switch down 20-30% YoY in all regions, so I think they'd be hardpressed to justify a forecast above 14-15m, which is a number they likely will not hit anyway barring discounts/price cuts.
Plus another negative revision shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Word. It means the brand has momentum.

Software sales have also been in decline too though, and they had to revise their FY predictions on that front down as well, so it's declining faster than expected. Hence the reason for the return of the voucher program in NA.
Tears of the Kingdom will bump that up, but it will decline afterwards. There’s nothing as big as TOTK right after it. There’s Pikmin 4, but that isn’t as big as Zelda. Not big enough to give the decline in sales a breath of air.

If anything, a console reveal should happen after Zelda. Especially if the successor is backwards compatible AND could upres already existing games. Consumers would be more than happy to dig in now rather than later.

Also, we have to remember this isn’t just about hardware and software. It’s about profit as well. Nintendo knows their Net Revenues are gonna drop, but they had dropped more than expected:

“ The Kyoto, Japan-based company now expects revenue to decrease 5.6% to $12.06 billion for the fiscal year ending March 31, compared to its previous forecast of a 2.7% decline. Net profit is expected to drop 22.5% to $2.8 billion. Previously, it expected a 16% drop.”
Source: https://venturebeat.com/games/nintendo-lowers-forecast-as-switch-sales-weaken/

That’s 6.5% more than anticipated.

Besides being in uncharted territory, they’re also in bad waters to be swimming at.

By the way, the attached article also mentions revisions of software forecast.

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Bootcamp has unstable framerates. That's. A bad omen for Switch.
That’s preposterous and shouldn’t be happening 🥴 Especially for a game they’ve been sitting on for so long.

2. Expand the Switch family with a new more powerful piece of hardware that will keep the enthusiast happy but is squarely a switch and the branding will stay that way. There will be very few exclusives for this but will get the occasional 3rd party game. This keeps the Install base very high for the next 3-4 years.
Nintendo usually releases new hardware in their console’s fifth, sixth year. This is really uncharted territory with a console in its seventh year, with no successor in sight. I really doubt they’d like to add a year or two to a seven year old console that’s declining in hardware and software sales. A tech upgraded revision would just add a couple of sales. Maybe 5-15 million. Nintendo needs to start thinking of the next five years, not 12-24 months. Like previously mentioned, Nintendo was expecting a reduction in their Net Sales, but they had to adjust to the fact that the reduction was 6.5% more than anticipated.

3. Stick with current hardware till the wheels fall off.
Problem is, they’re already falling off.

I do not live in EU land! Lucky! But glad it’s back.

(I have yet to use a voucher)
Tears of the Kingdom is gonna be my first time using it hahahaha

It's the evergreens. Software sales are good because Nintendo keeps making games people want to play. Hardware sales are good because people want to play Switch games. But Mario Kart sales are dropping.

That's because new hardware sales aren't expanding the install base. They're being driven by second systems/replacements. Which means a decent chunk of new hardware sales would jump to a comparably priced, backwards compatible successor. And that Nintendo can squeeze the last of the software sales out of the Switch install base with cross-gen titles. They don't need to keep the Switch as the primary platform to sell Switch games.
Correct. They’re gonna have the usual “Switch ecosystem” jargon until they’re further into the Successor’s first or second year and then forget the Switch exists. They’ll then release a Lite revision to push households to have more than one Redacted at home

It suggests that buyer uncle went to his manufacturer/wholesaler contacts to enquire about the release timing, and got some intel that got him excited.
“Please be excited”

Lack of rumors could be due to how aggressive Nintendo has been towards leaks and hacks. Also maybe because the successor hasn’t entered marketing.

This is confirmation bias from my part
This is certainly one way of looking at it.
Developers and people in the industry could have signed an Nda so big that even a sneeze could be considered a violation 🤣

On the other side though we have Nate, the only reliable source of rumours we have, who keeps seeing a launch in late 2024 (at the very least).
I know it's just speculation on his part but I doubt it's based on nothing, right?
Of course we can also think that he knows 'people' who are completely in the dark about the next console, or who don't want to expose themselves for obvious reasons but... we have no clue about that.

On the other side though we have Nate, the only reliable source of rumours we have, who keeps seeing a launch in late 2024 (at the very least).
I think reliable should be put in quotation marks.

2. FSR 2.2 / TAA improvements 

We would like to implement FSR 2.2 to replace our current TAA solution. FSR 2.2 is a more fully-featured Temporal AntiAliasing and upscaling solution than our current TAA and should work better in most situations, while also allowing the option to improve performance with upscaling.

 At the same time, we will be integrating many of our effects (SSAO, SSR, shadows, etc.) with TAA so that quality is automatically improved when TAA is enabled. To be clear, this will not impact the quality of these effects when TAA is disabled. We still intend for all effects to be usable without TAA. This will just enhance these effects when TAA is used.

Assigned: Clay will be working on this, but can pass responsibility over to someone who is motivated and has the time to work on it sooner.
I'm curious about how FSR 2.2 performs on Drake.

If they are down 20-30% YoY but cannot hit a 14-15m forecast without discounts/price cuts then the decrease will be more severe for the CY. I think they could go over that amount depending on if new hardware is coming out. Ultimately we won’t have to wait long to see what their plans & reasoning are.

It’d be funny if all this saga ended on a scheduling hiccup from Nintendo lol
You know what would be funny? For the June Direct to be another Partner's Showcase (or it not happening at all and Nintendo just telling us to look forward to a future Direct when asked about what games other than Pikmin 4 and MP4 they have in development).

You know what would be funny? For the June Direct to be another Partner's Showcase (or it not happening at all and Nintendo just telling us to look forward to a future Direct when asked about what games other than Pikmin 4 and MP4 they have in development).
They’ll most likely answer that in the Investors Meeting: they’ll announce software in the future

15 million would be an excellent result for CY 2023.

Rl7at6o.png

I get you are all anxious for whatever is coming next but the reality is that Switch is doing the best a console ever has in its seventh year. All this doom and gloom is unjustified.

They’ll most likely answer that in the Investors Meeting: they’ll announce software in the future
That's in early May and they don't announce software to investors usually, at best they'd tell them to wait for their next Direct presentation, whenever that is, to know about future software.

That aside, I wonder how people with industry contacts feel about Nintendo's current secretiveness, they will have only 2 announced and not released games after TotK releases after all. Are they at a loss too regarding all this? Nintendo having a light 2H makes little sense considering they could have slotted MPR in there and even XB3 DLC too to pad things out a bit, but they are just releasing everything in the 1H for no apparent reason.

15 million would be an excellent result for CY 2023.

Rl7at6o.png

I get you are all anxious for whatever is coming next but the reality is that Switch is doing the best a console ever has in its seventh year. All this doom and gloom is unjustified.
No one’s saying the contrary. It’s not doom, but it’s decline

Hold on a second. What if by "uncharted territory", Nintendo actually means "Uncharted territory".

No Switch 2 this year, just the Uncharted series coming to the Switch throughout the rest of 2023.

Checknate.

Switch 2 in H2 2023 confirmed 👌 😎

Hold on a second. What if by "uncharted territory", Nintendo actually means "Uncharted territory".

No Switch 2 this year, just the Uncharted series coming to the Switch throughout the rest of 2023.

Checknate.
But what Furukawa said is 未知の領域 while the uncharted series in Japanese is アンチャーテッド (although basically the same meaning

Oh I get it. Nintendo is going to acquire naughty dogs and rename the series’ Japanese name!

(And release Uncharted: Drake’s fortune in the new hardware

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Bootcamp has unstable framerates. That's. A bad omen for Switch.
That’s preposterous and shouldn’t be happening 🥴 Especially for a game they’ve been sitting on for so long.
It's not really, it's a bad omen for Unity, which has a known issue with its frame rate limiter that causes frame pacing problems.

WayForward's solution is actually kind of clever. It uses the frame rate limiter in places where the player has control over the camera and tearing would be more of an issue than frame pacing, and remove the limiter when the player doesn't, and tearing isn't as much of an issue, but the extra frames over the 30fps cap will increase smoothness.

Without the Unity bug this would run at a locked 30FPS no problem - the uncapped sections never drop under 30. WayForward has simply decided to mix and match which shitty engine behavior they want based on the player situation, which is better than almost any game I've seen that uses Unity.

That's in early May and they don't announce software to investors usually, at best they'd tell them to wait for their next Direct presentation, whenever that is, to know about future software.

That aside, I wonder how people with industry contacts feel about Nintendo's current secretiveness, they will have only 2 announced and not released games after TotK releases after all. Are they at a loss too regarding all this? Nintendo having a light 2H makes little sense considering they could have slotted MPR in there and even XB3 DLC too to pad things out a bit, but they are just releasing everything in the 1H for no apparent reason.
The key software partners are certainly in the loop sufficiently; otherwise you would hear at least some grumblings in the media about the situation.

It's not really, it's a bad omen for Unity, which has a known issue with its frame rate limiter that causes frame pacing problems.

WayForward's solution is actually kind of clever. It uses the frame rate limiter in places where the player has control over the camera and tearing would be more of an issue than frame pacing, and remove the limiter when the player doesn't, and tearing isn't as much of an issue, but the extra frames over the 30fps cap will increase smoothness.

Without the Unity bug this would run at a locked 30FPS no problem - the uncapped sections never drop under 30. WayForward has simply decided to mix and match which shitty engine behavior they want based on the player situation, which is better than almost any game I've seen that uses Unity.
Given the popularity of Unity, even with Nintendo themselves, I can't help but imagine a "bad omen for unity" as a bad omen for Switch. Even Engage uses Unity. Developers want more capabilities, flexibility, and to be able to use tools they're familiar with without sacrificing stability. Essentially, I think pressure for the new hardware is almost as strong from Nintendo's own Devs and partners as it is anyone else.

Given the popularity of Unity, even with Nintendo themselves, I can't help but imagine a "bad omen for unity" as a bad omen for Switch. Even Engage uses Unity. Developers want more capabilities, flexibility, and to be able to use tools they're familiar with without sacrificing stability. Essentially, I think pressure for the new hardware is almost as strong from Nintendo's own Devs and partners as it is anyone else.
As far as I know, the only Nintendo Switch game that was published by Nintendo that used Unity was Snipperclips, which was developed by SFB Games. But SFB Games is an independent company, not a subsidiary of Nintendo.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom