• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Xenoblade 3 |ST| Σ Become One

Just finished the game, and really, truly enjoyed it. First Xenoblade I finished, and I’ve played every single one. Looking forward to the expansion pass story DLC!

The ending

It's a nice, sweet ending. The story is mostly self contained and the conclusion wraps it up well enough, though I think 4-5-6 is really the peak of the storytelling in this game. After the first half of 6, it sort of loses a lot of its energy and momentum, but like I said, it's still a good ending that ties up the themes of this game well.

My big disappointment, if you will, is that inasmuch as this was supposed to be the "conclusion" to the trilogy, it's... not? Like, it doesn't really do anything to conclude those stories in any way that is meaningful. At the same time, the way it is is almost an acknowledgement that those stories were complete and self-contained, and didn't need a "conclusion".

Ultimately, this works better as its own standalone game than conclusion of any sort tbh. And the good thing is it mostly recognizes that, and keeps the connections larger thematic. I think it's a very sweet ending, and a great standalone story that I enjoyed on its own merits. In terms of it being an ending to the trilogy though, I'm naturally underwhelmed given, well, the lack of anything like that actually happening lol.

Don´t know if anyone posted but:

The game is a nominee for ultimate game of the year on the golde joystick awards, and the winner is decied by vote, so let´s go!!!

It most certainly is mine, after 263 hours, all sidequests (hero quests are the best sidequests in a Nintendo game, production wise, and tied with the best quests from X, lore wise), and all superbosses on hard, this was the most intense experience I had with video games.

Last edited:
Don´t know if anyone posted but:

The game is a nomin ee for ultimate game of the year on the golde joystick awards, and the winner is decied by vote, so let´s go!!!

It most certainly is mine, after 263 hours, all sidequests (hero quests are the best sidequests in a Nintendo game, production wise, and tied with the best quests from X, lore wise), and all superbosses on hard, this was the most intense experience I had with video games.
Perfect. It's election day in the USA so I'm gonna make my voice heard!!

The ending

It's a nice, sweet ending. The story is mostly self contained and the conclusion wraps it up well enough, though I think 4-5-6 is really the peak of the storytelling in this game. After the first half of 6, it sort of loses a lot of its energy and momentum, but like I said, it's still a good ending that ties up the themes of this game well.

My big disappointment, if you will, is that inasmuch as this was supposed to be the "conclusion" to the trilogy, it's... not? Like, it doesn't really do anything to conclude those stories in any way that is meaningful. At the same time, the way it is is almost an acknowledgement that those stories were complete and self-contained, and didn't need a "conclusion".

Ultimately, this works better as its own standalone game than conclusion of any sort tbh. And the good thing is it mostly recognizes that, and keeps the connections larger thematic. I think it's a very sweet ending, and a great standalone story that I enjoyed on its own merits. In terms of it being an ending to the trilogy though, I'm naturally underwhelmed given, well, the lack of anything like that actually happening lol.
As much as this game works best as a standalone title,

I would really love to hear thoughts about the whole colliding universes thing from someone who hasn't played the first two

I don´t understand these topics about the story needing much more connection to 1 and 2, most of the suggestions I saw from people sounds like bad fanfiction, what they did in the game, with that subtle approach works much better than most of those suggestions. But for starters, in several instances it was told that they game is self contained and that one does not need to play 1 and 2. Yet somehow a few went expecting Marvel avengers infinity war/endgame? lol. But here is what the game does do in relation to the other games:

Concludes the Klaus saga by showing the final aftermatch of his experiment, the two universes that are bound to each other and the consequences from that. But of course, Klaus himself is dead, after getting his redemption in 2, and that is all that was needed, no shoehorning more of him in 3 just for the sake of it. Also showed how the races and technology of both universes evolved, after the events we saw in 1 and 2. Showed the destiny of a few characters from the previous games. That is enough. The max that could have been added to make it better is the use of Conduit emulators inside Origin, like shown in the artbook of the collectors edition (but instead they went with core crystals, so there is that, good too), and integrating Alvis in the story, since we still don´t know where he went and he lends himself well to the multiverse side of the story. Pyra/Mythra, and some of the other? they were living their lives with the people they love, as they always wanted, period. As for more than that, like Shulk and Rex, relax, we know about the founders and that the game will get a huge story expansion akin to Torna. What we needed to know about them for the base game story, we already got.

The ONLY thing I would actually say it is disappointing is actually the lack of direct X referrences, as in, a bridge for X, being it the next story arc since Klaus arc is done (will be done after the story DLC is out).

I've just been listening to some music from XBC3 in the background while I work and it slaps! I would say when I played the game earlier this year that it wasn't as memorable as 2 but it's amazing how much the soundtrack has taken me back into the moment it is an excellent soundtrack! Let me stream it legally Nintendo!

I don´t understand these topics about the story needing much more connection to 1 and 2, most of the suggestions I saw from people sounds like bad fanfiction, what they did in the game, with that subtle approach works much better than most of those suggestions. But for starters, in several instances it was told that they game is self contained and that one does not need to play 1 and 2. Yet somehow a few went expecting Marvel avengers infinity war/endgame? lol. But here is what the game does do in relation to the other games:

Concludes the Klaus saga by showing the final aftermatch of his experiment, the two universes that are bound to each other and the consequences from that. But of course, Klaus himself is dead, after getting his redemption in 2, and that is all that was needed, no shoehorning more of him in 3 just for the sake of it. Also showed how the races and technology of both universes evolved, after the events we saw in 1 and 2. Showed the destiny of a few characters from the previous games. That is enough. The max that could have been added to make it better is the use of Conduit emulators inside Origin, like shown in the artbook of the collectors edition (but instead they went with core crystals, so there is that, good too), and integrating Alvis in the story, since we still don´t know where he went and he lends himself well to the multiverse side of the story. Pyra/Mythra, and some of the other? they were living their lives with the people they love, as they always wanted, period. As for more than that, like Shulk and Rex, relax, we know about the founders and that the game will get a huge story expansion akin to Torna. What we needed to know about them for the base game story, we already got.

The ONLY thing I would actually say it is disappointing is actually the lack of direct X referrences, as in, a bridge for X, being it the next story arc since Klaus arc is done (will be done after the story DLC is out).
It's not the connections to 1/2 that irks me, it's the lack of anything that contributes largely to the universe as a whole. 2 is hardly connected to 1 but it did a lot for the lore of the series, so much so that it retroactively made the universe of XC1 better even without the direct connections. 3 did very little in that regard and it even leaves concepts within its own game either unexplained or brushed off.

It's not the connections to 1/2 that irks me, it's the lack of anything that contributes largely to the universe as a whole. 2 is hardly connected to 1 but it did a lot for the lore of the series, 3 did very little in that regard and it even leaves concepts within its own game either unexplained or brushed off.
This is my issue, as well. I woulda genuinely preferred a standalone story/world, with connections limited to surprises near the end if any, rather than them leading with huge connections and then no surprise at the end.

It's not the connections to 1/2 that irks me, it's the lack of anything that contributes largely to the universe as a whole. 2 is hardly connected to 1 but it did a lot for the lore of the series, so much so that it retroactively made the universe of XC1 better even without the direct connections. 3 did very little in that regard and it even leaves concepts within its own game either unexplained or brushed off.

All blade games left some things unexplained about their own plot, specially X. And again, our trip through the world of Aionios is not over yet, there s still a story DLC to go, that may address some of the curiosities people have about the plot.

As for the "contributes to the universe as a whole", only 2 really did this and had to resort to light retcon of a few little things to do so, (they clearly did not had all that in mind when original 1 was made, it was not even going to be called Xeno something).

And well. I had small nitpickies with stories of basically every game I played, specially now that I have been getting into writing, and yet I manage to overall, really enjoy them. Something to highlight though, I had quite a fair bit of grips with Nier Automata story which I played now on Switch, from the main villains to certain aspects of the lore and world, and the logic (or lack of) of Yorha and the machines network, more so than with any blade games, but funnily enough that game gets a lot of praise for its story... But nevertheless, I really enjoyed my experience with it.

But hey, changing subject now, as you guys know, Xenoblade 3 is a nominee for best OST, best RPG and Game of the Year. Let´s give it support, specially when the peoples voice category is up!!

link to vote:

But hey, changing subject now, as you guys know, Xenoblade 3 is a nominee for best OST, best RPG and Game of the Year. Let´s give it support, specially when the peoples voice category is up!!
I did vote for the 3 categories (direction went to Elden Ring as it's amazing), honestly the only good thing I can say about the nominees this year is that Xc3 somehow managed to get in the GOTY award. The game won't win (it should though), but I suppose ER will win and the game deserves it as much as Xc3.

I’m sure other people have noticed the amount of number 7 appearing in this game. It is wild. Even the characters menu has seven options, that’s how deep it goes. 7 is considered a lucky number.

Xenoblade 3 got a reverse delay (very unusual in the industry), acclaimed by critics, loved by fans, fastest selling Xeno game, and now multiple awards nominations including GOTY.

I was hesitant to post about this before the sales numbers come out because I don‘t want to jinx anything but now is the time. Y’all this is scary.

Last edited:
I’m sure other people have noticed the amount of number 7 appearing in this game. It’s wild. Even the menus have seven options that’s how deep it goes. 7 is considered a lucky number.

Xenoblade 3 got a reverse delay (very unusual in the industry), acclaimed by critics, loved by fans, fastest selling Xeno game, and now multiple awards nominations including GOTY.

I was hesitant to post about this before the sales numbers come out because I don‘t want to jinx anything but now is the time. Y’all this is scary.
So you're telling me they sold 777 copies?

I’m sure other people have noticed the amount of number 7 appearing in this game. It is wild. Even the character menus have seven options, that’s how deep it goes. 7 is considered a lucky number.

Yeah I wonder what's up with 7. I doubt it's just from being the 7th xeno game (RIP X)

Last edited:
Yeah I wonder what's up with 7. I doubt it's just from being the 7th xeno game (RIP X)
I've seen it theorized that it's a reference to the fan favorite character that the community calls Seven to keep from spoiling it

I mean, I doubt it, but that was the first theory I heard 😅

After playing some Scarlet/Violet, I am in awe of how well Monolith truly did with XB3.

Love this game and the studio <3

I’m still mid-chapter 7 but this is far and away my favorite Xeno game, and one of the best RPGs I’ve played in many years. I adore the cast. The world design is great. The gameplay loop is addictive. The music is next-level. I even love the Nopon.

I’ve got over 100 hours in it already and I fully intend to push through as many side quests as I can. Even when the quests themselves are a bit silly, I like spending time with these characters.

I’m sure other people have noticed the amount of number 7 appearing in this game. It is wild. Even the characters menu has seven options, that’s how deep it goes. 7 is considered a lucky number.

And your post has 7 yeahs!!! XD

So jumping on the lucky part, let me say that the player voice category is on:

Let´s vote!!!

I hope the game does well, but judging by the golden joystick awards, it is pretty tough to win, when it comes to ublic votes, due to the disparity in units sold/popularity.

Still, I will do my part!!

this games side content is like the definition of too much of a good thing, I liked the content itself but I ended up burning out on the game for months trying to do it all

anyways I finally got around to finishing it(pretty much just beelined the story for the last couple chapters, might go back and finish the side stuff from the last couple chapters that I skipped)

I gotta say I really don't care for this games story now that i've finished it which is a shame since chapter 5 is easily the best story sequence the series has had

Monolithsoft had a presentation at a gamedev conference on some of the render tech used in the game. The article is in Japanese but Google Translate shows that it was about how they did their toon shading in an engine with physically based rendering. It also goes into how the resolution scaling works: Like the Digital Foundry video found out they do use temporal upsampling. The article even mentions this talk from Activision about temporal upsampling in Call of Duty. In docked mode it uses temporal upsampling to go from 540p to 1080p but handheld mode goes from 440p to 880p and then downsamples to 720p for better image quality. Also, the fast camera movement and effects in cutscenes apparently did not work well with it so those don't use any upsampling and just render raw 720p docked and 540p handheld. I always noticed the render quality seemed to almost drop for a couple frames during some cutscene->battle transitions and that would explain this, since it was switching to temporal upsampled rendering without any previous frame data for a couple frames.

Monolithsoft had a presentation at a gamedev conference on some of the render tech used in the game. The article is in Japanese but Google Translate shows that it was about how they did their toon shading in an engine with physically based rendering. It also goes into how the resolution scaling works: Like the Digital Foundry video found out they do use temporal upsampling. The article even mentions this talk from Activision about temporal upsampling in Call of Duty. In docked mode it uses temporal upsampling to go from 540p to 1080p but handheld mode goes from 440p to 880p and then downsamples to 720p for better image quality. Also, the fast camera movement and effects in cutscenes apparently did not work well with it so those don't use any upsampling and just render raw 720p docked and 540p handheld. I always noticed the render quality seemed to almost drop for a couple frames during some cutscene->battle transitions and that would explain this, since it was switching to temporal upsampled rendering without any previous frame data for a couple frames.

that is all very interesting!!

and guys,
Xenoblade 3 made it to the second round in the players voice category!!

https://thegameawards.com/brackets/players-voice

Very impressive, especially all things considered!! But now only the top five will go to the next round, and the game needs your help!! it is really hard to go against games that sol so much more.

Currently, it is the only Nintendo game still on the running, all others lost on the last round. And Splatoon 3 fans, now that Splatoon is out of the running, come help Xenoblade 3!!

Remember that, Monolith Soft also helped in the development of Splatoon 3 (and 2 and 1!!)

Sadly it looks bad for Xenoblade 3. For some reason Genshin (?!) sweeped to the first place. And Xenoblade is on place 7, even lower than minecraft. Where are the Xenoblade fans?!
Xenoblade got the GOTY nomination so, at least for me, that's more than enough. Might be other people feel the same.

I will however vote against Genshin.

I mean, I love Xenoblade, but it's nowhere near as popular as Genshin or Minecraft, so that's not that surprising.
I mean Player's Choice often is the category which goes to smaller scale games. Like Fire Emblem Three Houses in 2019. While I understand that Genshin got a big expansion this year it would still feel strange to see it win Player's Choice 2022. Why is Minecraft even there? Did they release some big update?

I think my wish for this category would either be Xenoblade 3 or Sonic, because Sonic was robbed in a lot of categories.

Sonic official Twitter, Sega, the producers, pr manger all told fans to vote and posted the link.

Genshin literally ran ads in CHINA for people to vote.

Nintendo official Twitter didn’t even retweet the nominations.

Last edited:
Took me a bit to find this thread. I am afraid to go searching around, especially YouTube, but could someone give me a summary / TLDR of the plot up until the start of Chapter 4? I just want to tie some loose ends. Thanks!

xOrOofX.gif

not 10k years more like 160 hours but I can finally click on all the spoiler tags lol (I stopped going into the threads because I fell so behind and got worried people would start to get a bit to lax about spoiler tag usage.

Took me a bit to find this thread. I am afraid to go searching around, especially YouTube, but could someone give me a summary / TLDR of the plot up until the start of Chapter 4? I just want to tie some loose ends. Thanks!
nobody responded to you here either? :D do you still need the summary? do you want it here or on purple forum lol

xOrOofX.gif

not 10k years more like 160 hours but I can finally click on all the spoiler tags lol (I stopped going into the threads because I fell so behind and got worried people would start to get a bit to lax about spoiler tag usage.

nobody responded to you here either? :D do you still need the summary? do you want it here or on purple forum lol
Lmao. I’m all good!

This game jumped to the front of the line today on my Switch, despite there being no update yet, did that happen to anybody else?

Yeah it's definitely time to return to the game.

I did take a break after finishing it in late October/early Nov last year (finishing all hero and ascension quests) and was waiting for both new heroes to release.

The ending

My big disappointment, if you will, is that inasmuch as this was supposed to be the "conclusion" to the trilogy, it's... not?
super late response to this but:

Takahashi: This title is the third entry in the Xenoblade Chronicles series following Xenoblade Chronicles (2) and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and is like the culmination of the trilogy.

[...]

Takahashi: [...] Also, I used the word “culmination” earlier, but this title brings together all the themes that have been developed over the past 15 years since 2007, when development of the first title in the Xenoblade Chronicles series began, as well as the gameplay systems that have been developed throughout the series.

Yokota: So, by “culmination,” you don’t mean that it brings closure to the series, but rather that it rounds out the trilogy thematically.

Takahashi: Yes, that’s right. I guess you can say that this is like a summary for moving on to the next step in the future.

CULMINATION was how they always pitched this, not conclusion! They never said it was a conclusion to the series. Among other things, that's also where the Sigma (Σ) in the thread title came from).

Last edited:
super late response to this but:

CULMINATION was how they always pitched this, not conclusion! They never said it was a conclusion to the series. Among other things, that's also where the Sigma (Σ) in the thread title came from).
Yeah, I am willing to accept my disappointment was at least in some appreciable part caused by my own expectations that weren't necessarily based in the exact thing Takahashi had actually said as much as my interpretation of them.

On the flip side, the Oxford Dictionary states that a culmination is ‘the highest point or end of something’.

And in his letter released in the launch period, Takahashi said: “This title depicts the conclusion of the Xenoblade story that began with Klaus’s experiment.”

No one thought XC3 was the end of the series, but I think it’s fair to say they expected a bit more than they got.

Ver. 1.3.0 (Released February 15, 2023)
Additional Functionality

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where some enemy models were placed where the name and enemy did not match.
    • Issues where some Testudos were called "Armadillo", and some Armadillos were called "Velites", respectively.
  • Fixed an issue where leveling from Class Rank 9 to 10 when clearing the final battle would not unlock Appearances that should be unlocked.
    • In the event that this has already occurred, downloading the update will fix the issue, unlocking the appearance.
  • Fixed an issue where completing Roald, Fla'ran, and Zooza Collectopedia entries would cause them to display the initial reward.
  • Fixed an issue in Challenge Battles where lowering the Effects volume in Audio Settings would still cause battle sounds and footsteps to sound comparatively loud.
  • Fixed an issue where sliding down a rope using a specific timing would cause party members to continuously be KO'd and resurrected.
  • Fixed an issue where pressing buttons using a specific timing during a loading screen would cause the Battle Menu to appear after launching the game.
  • Fixed an issue where successfully completing Mio's Chain Order would not cause Attacker and Healer hate to decrease.
  • Fixed additional issues to improve the gameplay experience.

I haven't played the game for a while, waiting for the meaty part of expansion pass and possibly a physical release like Xeno 2.
Have they fixed the characters' footsteps sounds often getting crazy when exploring? It was very distracting for me

Little tip for the archsage's gauntlet: it auto-saves every 10 stages. So if you exit out to the switch homescreen and reset the game before the results screen comes up following a party wipe, you can jump right back to the last stage it auto-saved at.

Back
Top Bottom