• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Xenoblade 3 |ST| Σ Become One

The chain attack system feels like a large chunk of it was designed in a bubble without looking at the rest of the game. The orders feel like they belong in a game where you can use any combination of characters, and those characters can't switch classes. The starting tp values for characters feel super arbitary and makes certain characters like Noah and Taion matter far more for rounds then characters like Sena and Lanz. I feel the system would make a lot more sense if starting tp was either class based, or was based upon the actual character relationships/affinity for who gave the order.

I disagree about this. The thing about the chain attacks here is while the chain bonuses are fixed on characters, the round finishers are class dependent, and they are far more important than the order bonuses really. And having the fixed TP for characters add more strategy as well for your team builds. Lanz and Sena may look undesirable because they always have low TP at first (because they are the less strategic members canonically), but they become much more useful on the final order when the damage ratio is very high, and what class they have and the fusion arts they use becomes really important when maximizing damage. It's a different approach compared to the past 2 games, but the layers of strategy is still very deep.

So I have some weird thoughts about XB3, which I am plopping here because I'm.. I think about halfway through and I have some semi-spicy takes at this point, but since Xeno games tend to have a big rug-pull moment in the back half I thought it'd be fun to lay out my uninformed reactions so far so I can revisit them later if this game ends up turning them inside out and making me feel like a dumb:

Xenoblade 1, X, and 2, all had what I've been calling a "Gaur Plains moment," the point where the first big, green, wide open place takes my breath away. The surreal topography and sheer vastness of the terrain popped my brain in all three of those games, at Gaur Plains, Primordia, and Gormott. I can kinda tell the point in 3 where it was supposed to happen I think: when the music changes for Kilmarris Highland. But for some reason (maybe how narrow the area is), I just didn't get that gut punch reaction of "holy cow this is majestic." It's gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but.. it didn't hit the same. For some reason.

The topography itself was another weird one. I've come to expect these impossible, imaginative terrain features from XB games, and as lovely as everywhere is here, it seems almost.. too grounded? If that makes sense? Not as surreal as before? It feels less like Xenoblade and more like Zelda. Which again, is not inherently bad (it's still a better game world than most games I've played) but it just caught me off guard how different it feels compared to my expectations. It's like all the "oh wow" moments that I am having with the terrain are not from the terrain design itself, but the references to the past games (the curved spires of Bionis' Leg, the hand of the Fallen Arm, etc). Like the individual areas don't seem to have their own personality to quite the same degree that places like Noctilum, Sylvalum, Uraya, or Leftheria did. And where's my bioluminescent forest, XB3?

So to be clear: it's absolutely amazing, gorgeous, well designed, but.. somehow different from what I expected. So it seems kinda strange even though it's incredible. Also different is how the area music hasn't been quite as memorable to me as the other entries. Instead it seems like they went for absolute broke on the battle and event themes, which is the inverse of the other games where I loved the area themes more.

And the gameplay, they nailed it. This is the first Xenoblade game where I feel like I almost understand the battle system, and am actually enjoying grinding. It's awesome.

XB3 is also hands-down by favorite cast of the entire series. By far. I'm also very much invested in the story, whereas in past Xenoblade games I was enamored with the lore and the world they built more than the actual step-by-step of the story and character beats.

So to summarize, and why this all feels weird to me, it's like they took my loves and expectations of the Xenoblade series thus far and inverted them. In past entries I loved the personality of the areas but found their size lacking, here I find the personality lacking but the scale absolutely amazing. In past entries I found the area music to be incredible and the battle themes to be okay, here I find the area themes to be okay but the battle themes are absolute bangers getting stuck in my head. In past entries I couldn't get into the battle system, but here I find myself grinding for fun. In past entries I found the world and lore more interesting than the characters, and here we have my favorite cast in all of Xeno.

It's crazy how consistently everything I expected has been turned upside down with this game. 😅 And I absolutely love it to pieces. What a blast this is. I can't wait to see what else they do with what they've set up.
To talk about one thing from your big post because I relate to it and was really feeling it last night, I haven’t had an exact “Gaur Plains moment” in this game either which bums me out. I actually like a lot of these areas and as of chapter 5 I think there were a few contenders that could have been it (I genuinely like every area I’ve explored), but I think the lack of distinct, catchy music themes don’t push any of them that last bit they need to become extra special. No area having a Gaur Plains-like theme (or Gormott, Mor Ardain etc.) just makes them blur together a bit especially when some areas call in the signature Gaur Plains grassy rocks and overhangs in select spots.

That said I still do have my favorite spot in the game, that’s like an anti-Gaur Plains moment. I like to call this spot in chapter 3 the crossroads because it’s the middle point of four separate areas. It certainly has an actual name and belongs to one of those four great areas, but that’s not what matters at all to me about that special spot. This spot where the music fades away and you are surrounded by all of these potential adventures around you really is just there to show this game is bigger, more dense, and more surprising than you are imagining. It’s not a spot I want to linger in and yet it stands out as such a memorable part of the adventure so far.

It's a different approach compared to the past 2 games, but the layers of strategy is still very deep.
I get what you're saying, but nearly all of this is determined in the party setup; after that, most chain attacks will have the same optimal path, with the biggest variances coming from the RNG of available orders and who reactivates. I personally miss reacting to the combat situation and enemy itself, which is barely existent in this system (and why I've praised the original so much).

Ethel spoiler, late game, hot take inside

Ethel coming back as a first term is the biggest downgrade since Mythra created Pyra

I've played chapter 5 3 days ago and I still think about it. What a fantastic montage too.

Finally, finally finished Chapter 4, after what felt like.. several boss battles that each could've been the finisher, and now with what's been revealed so far all I can think is:
qnWSWaV_d.webp

Ethel spoiler, late game, hot take inside

Ethel coming back as a first term is the biggest downgrade since Mythra created Pyra

I've played chapter 5 3 days ago and I still think about it. What a fantastic montage too.
As a huge fan of P, I take this personally!

That said, in regards to Ethel…

You can age her back up in an ascension quest.

As a huge fan of P, I take this personally!

That said, in regards to Ethel…

You can age her back up in an ascension quest.

Oh I know, the ascension quest requirements for another character spoils that lol.

One of the funniest video game quirks in this game to me is that if a dangerously high level monster picks a fight with you just run over to the nearest vines and hop on. Monsters lose all interest in someone climbing up vines lol. If you need more time to escape, enter and leave combat to have a defender take a hit for you. It’s weird how often this situation has come up for me where vines are right there for me to escape with lol.

I just reached, minor chapter 5 exploration spoiler, an optional island of colossal dinosaurs, which felt extra silly.

One of the funniest video game quirks in this game to me is that if a dangerously high level monster picks a fight with you just run over to the nearest vines and hop on. Monsters lose all interest in someone climbing up vines lol. If you need more time to escape, enter and leave combat to have a defender take a hit for you. It’s weird how often this situation has come up for me where vines are right there for me to escape with lol.

I just reached, minor chapter 5 exploration spoiler, an optional island of colossal dinosaurs, which felt extra silly.

Is this your first Xenoblade? The ladder meta is a series trademark. It served me many times exploring places where I really shouldn't be at that point of the story lol.

How do you reach
the city
after the beginning of chapter 6? I still need to do the fortuneclovers hero quest.

You have to do a sidequest in the Agnus castle

Is this your first Xenoblade? The ladder meta is a series trademark. It served me many times exploring places where I really shouldn't be at that point of the story lol.

Ok thanks!

No I’ve been a fan since the first game, it just never came up quite like it has in this game I guess for me lol.

Not really feeling the story so far. Finished chapter 2 and everything is way too wordy for what's essentially a simple story of "war bad". There was a book by Russian author Kid Bulychev that conveyed the same message of the planet in constant war where the generals are best friends with each other, and it was a book for kids.

Doesn't help that the message affects how the game looks and plays.

Xenoblade 1 and 2 started you off with an adventure and excitement, even if you didn't reach full-on open areas for some time, yet here you're on a rail with two cities available being effectively the same war machines.

Constant tutorialization feels like it was a game made for Wii. You can't change time of day until chapter 2, and tutorials really want you to go through menus to, say, make a specific gem, even if gem-makng is effectively simple crafting compared to Xenoblade 1's system of chances and affinity.

I hope the game improves because I spent way too much on it, but so far there's not really any sense of exploration and agency.

Is it me, or is the game really struggling in places? I had 2 crashes in 84 hours (one in the menu, one simply talking to a NPC) and occasionally the game just lags/stutters.

Is it me, or is the game really struggling in places? I had 2 crashes in 84 hours (one in the menu, one simply talking to a NPC) and occasionally the game just lags/stutters.
Have you been occasionally restarting the game? Similarly to XC2, this game apparently has some memory leak issues that can make things wonky if the game is running continuously for a long time.

Man, that ending to chapter 4… I have so many more questions now.

I guess it’s nice to know whatever has happened with the real Melia and Nia, they didn’t jump straight off the deep end and become the new Zanza and Amalthus, at least. Also explains why it felt like their vocal performances were much more robotic than prior games. And then of course there’s whatever the deal is with the pods and the original bodies and copies, though that one at least I was expecting after the twist with Joran. The Xeno X vibes continue to come thick and strong, as this reminds me a lot of what was happening with the lifehold.

I’m definitely vibing with what this game is putting down, excited to dive into chapter 5 with all the talk about that.

Have you been occasionally restarting the game? Similarly to XC2, this game apparently has some memory leak issues that can make things wonky if the game is running continuously for a long time.
I had a crash last night while doing a sidequest, though I hadn't been running the game for very long at that time. Thankfully autosave had my back there.

Finishing some hero quests before the final boss and they're so fun. shame the rewards aren't that much, but at this point I can farm some other ways

Ok, unpopular take incoming but I can not say it.

Why is this game so obtuse with its mechanics, seriously?!?!

The personal art thing doesn't make sense at all. In order to activate the personal art of your character the game demands you to make actions corresponding to your class. I just unlocked the first hero and the explanation of the class in the help menu is just whatever. Why does it need to be so obtuse?

I am hating the combat system after 18h. If it had so many layers just because they would offer a deeper tactic component, I would be ok with that. But Pokémon with a much clear combat system is way way deeper than this. I dont understand why it needs to have so many layers and so many obtuse mechanics (don't get me started in chain attacks and how the game implies there is bonus points for using same colony members or same class types in the same chain...) when the combat itself, from a tactical point of view is less deep than most of the RPGs out there. It's just pull out big numbers not matter who you are facing covered by a shadow of complexity by the introduction of as many different mechanics as possible which doesn't break the repeating flow of every combat.

I am liking all the other things the game has to offer. And the whole tone of the story is way better than Xenoblade 2, but I can't stand how convulated and obtuse they made everything while at the same time all of that dont bring too much good to the table.

Was anyone able to find the second part of the "Rumblings at the Fort" discussion topic? I got the first one immediately after finishing one quest, but can't seem to find the second.

I never ladder meta'd and I've been doing this for 11 years lol. always just ...kept running.

The personal art thing doesn't make sense at all. In order to activate the personal art of your character the game demands you to make actions corresponding to your class. I just unlocked the first hero and the explanation of the class in the help menu is just whatever. Why does it need to be so obtuse?
every class is just either attacker, healer, defender. thus their role actions are always something related to that that builds up the talent art (and just doing anything in your arts bonus descriptions like positional bonuses). go to system->tips or training drills. idk how anyone can call this game obtuse when it has such a good and extensive tutorialization system built into it.

Not really feeling the story so far. Finished chapter 2 and everything is way too wordy for what's essentially a simple story of "war bad". There was a book by Russian author Kid Bulychev that conveyed the same message of the planet in constant war where the generals are best friends with each other, and it was a book for kids.

Doesn't help that the message affects how the game looks and plays.

Xenoblade 1 and 2 started you off with an adventure and excitement, even if you didn't reach full-on open areas for some time, yet here you're on a rail with two cities available being effectively the same war machines.

Constant tutorialization feels like it was a game made for Wii. You can't change time of day until chapter 2, and tutorials really want you to go through menus to, say, make a specific gem, even if gem-makng is effectively simple crafting compared to Xenoblade 1's system of chances and affinity.

I hope the game improves because I spent way too much on it, but so far there's not really any sense of exploration and agency.
A bit into Chapter 3 is where the training wheels really come off. I'm with you that the game was a bit too railroaded to start, but it dramatically opens up very quickly.

I can't believe I'm almost done with the main story and the game gives me yet another town

also I still need to do that seven Nopon quest now that I've done all the prereqs for that

So. Anybody know how to start Taion’s quest? I don’t know where to get the Sea discussion that’s mentioned in the menu. He’s the only one I can’t seem to find

Last night I finished Chapter 5. Outside of the randomly brutal battle during the Castle Beckons quest, I mostly cruised through. The story was crazy in chapter 4, but things got really heavy in chapter 5.

So yea, I'm all over the place here. Lanz and Sena go for the suicide finish, but it fails. Mio is sacrificed and Noah gets the Ned Stark treatment? This game is going places.

Also, Monica and Ghondor seem to have a "firey" relationship. I'm not sure how that will play out in the end.
After I saved at the end of chapter 5, I did watch any further cut scenes so I am not sure how Chapter 6 starts.

Overall, this is going neck and neck with XC1 for my favorite Xenoblade game. So far almost everything is an improvement over XC2. The story had a much slower start than its predecessors, but it really picked up steam after chapter 3 and I do not see it slowing down. The combat is great. The chain attacks can be a little slow, especially if you already have finished them off. Going through the motions can be annoying, but it is hardly a deal breaker. The toning down of the horniness is very welcoming Not gonna lie though, I though it was going to be more of the same after the shower/bath scene in chapter 1.

More than anything else, I love that the game is letting me play at my own pace and how I want to play it. One one big pet peeve with JRPGs, one of my favorite genres, is hitting a stone wall in a game where you are unable to advance because you are extremely underpowered. Needing to level grind is almost never fun. (Ok so a lot of times I will get into trouble because I totally ignore a certain mechanic in a game and I am doomed. Looking at you Final Fantasy VIII. But still, it can be very frustrating) XC 3 is not that at all. Except for that crazy random difficulty spike I mentioned earlier, I have hardly hit any brick walls in this game. I am playing on Normal and using the exp bonus sparingly. This is great because it allows me to have more fun with messing around and experimenting. Some people want a hard game to the bone, but I am not that crazy. I know I haven't finished the game, but this is quickly becoming one of if not my favorite JRPG of the past ten years.

My one question right now is about Hero quests. Out of curiosity, have I reached the point of no return (end of chapter 5) to where I cannot get any or all of the extra heroes. So far I only have a half dozen or so, but I think I want to go back and try to get the rest of them.

Loving the fact that lower level enemies leave you alone. I went into a cave filled with lv 50 cuties, and could just explore everything without being bothered. No more forced into a fight with, like, a level 4 mob just because you ran close to one.

Not sure about the fact that in a late region music, I can't unhear "Show me the meaning of being lonely" by Backstreet Boys.

Just a confirmation, is this point I’m gonna post in the spoiler the point of non return before the ending?

Sailing with the new ship in the Origin in chapter 7. It’s asking me for confirmation if I want to continue.

The chain attacks can be a little slow, especially if you already have finished them off. Going through the motions can be annoying, but it is hardly a deal breaker.
You can end a chain attack whenever you want with +. If you don't want to do any overkills ever, there's a toggle for them in the settings.
My one question right now is about Hero quests. Out of curiosity, have I reached the point of no return (end of chapter 5) to where I cannot get any or all of the extra heroes. So far I only have a half dozen or so, but I think I want to go back and try to get the rest of them.
That only locks you out of quests temporarily. You will never be permanently locked out of any quests.

So I just got probably the most interesting hero yet...

A Moebius party member lol. He's basically a unique monster tracker, though I wish I don't need to rematch just about every unique I already beaten before.

I used ladder meta to de-aggro a level 105 superboss and get an item and chest behind it lol

I am hating the combat system after 18h. If it had so many layers just because they would offer a deeper tactic component, I would be ok with that. But Pokémon with a much clear combat system is way way deeper than this. I dont understand why it needs to have so many layers and so many obtuse mechanics (don't get me started in chain attacks and how the game implies there is bonus points for using same colony members or same class types in the same chain...) when the combat itself, from a tactical point of view is less deep than most of the RPGs out there. It's just pull out big numbers not matter who you are facing covered by a shadow of complexity by the introduction of as many different mechanics as possible which doesn't break the repeating flow of every combat.

I am liking all the other things the game has to offer. And the whole tone of the story is way better than Xenoblade 2, but I can't stand how convulated and obtuse they made everything while at the same time all of that dont bring too much good to the table.
I don't find the game obtuse at all. The tutorials are such a vast improvement over anything else in the series it's insane. They literally force you through almost everything step by step. And they have an additional tip menu and practice mode. The only thing that took a bit of practice to get a grasp on was chain attacks imo.

Pokémon is only deeper because of the metagame/sheer number of options, but not inherently because of the mechanics.

I don't think you can get locked out of any quests in this game

Money is so useless in this game lol.

It’s the first time time I played an JRPG and didn’t spent one dime in the main story. In XC2, buying every item meant unlocking specific skills that increased speed and what not. Plus a blade needed to get bought. And you could cheese ranking by buying a ton of stuff.

Now it’s just accessories but you’ll never need too cause enemies drop better ones.

If there’s a good place to spend money. Let me know, I got half a mil and don’t know what to do with it.

It’s the first time time I played an JRPG and didn’t spent one dime in the main story. In XC2, buying every item meant unlocking specific skills that increased speed and what not. Plus a blade needed to get bought. And you could cheese ranking by buying a ton of stuff.

Now it’s just accessories but you’ll never need too cause enemies drop better ones.

If there’s a good place to spend money. Let me know, I got half a mil and don’t know what to do with it.

it's so bizarre how there doesn't even appear to be any money sink sidequests in this one, i'm sitting on about a million or so myself in mid chapter 5 and outside of accessories as far as I know the only things that you can even buy with money are a handful of collectables from the Nopon Caravans and food/fabricator usage which doesn't even really cost much of anything

I feel like using the fabricators probably should have cost more to be honest with how much money you get, the few hundred to couple thousand or so they use could have been easily scaled up by a factor of like 10

there should probably also really be some way to buy at least silver nopon coins

edit: just spitballing money usage ideas here, perhaps some system where if you buy an accessory from a shop it has a random chance of being a higher rarity than common would have been nice too

it's so bizarre how there doesn't even appear to be any money sink sidequests in this one, i'm sitting on about a million or so myself in mid chapter 5 and outside of accessories as far as I know the only things that you can even buy with money are a handful of collectables from the Nopon Caravans and food/fabricator usage which doesn't even really cost much of anything

I feel like using the fabricators probably should have cost more to be honest with how much money you get, the few hundred to couple thousand or so they use could have been easily scaled up by a factor of like 10

there should probably also really be some way to buy at least silver nopon coins

edit: just spitballing money usage ideas here, perhaps some system where if you buy an accessory from a shop it has a random chance of being a higher rarity than common would have been nice too
There is a money sink quest that I've found, but I had so much cash on hand that I basically did the thing in one go, and still had plenty left over.

The last hero in hero chart will unlock a way to spend 500.000G in a side quest. I had 930k so I'm still with around 500k in useless coins.

Still it's better than XC2 where I'm a multi-millionaire.

If it helps, the personal art recharge conditions are tied to role not class. Like swordfighter and ogre are both attacker roles. The first hero is an attacker so they refill their personal art the same way Noah does. The main way to refill the personal arts per role are:
  • Attacker: Using positional arts correctly
  • Healers: Planting field effect circles; also fills a tiny bit when healing and reviving
  • Defenders: Catching the opponent's aggro; also fills a smaller amount for evading and blocking

I'm not sure, but I think everyone gets a tiny bit of charge for critical hits regardless of role.

Have to admit, I was not expecting Bolearis to get as much development as he does. Very pleasant surprise.
I did really enjoy how he got his leg hurt. It was just him falling by accident lol. The cutscene made it seem he was being chased, but he’s like “nah, I’m pretty smart to know they don’t care about me, just you all.”really made his character rather smart

I am actually the same. I keep waiting to hit a wall and needing to bulk up on equipment/accessories but that just hasn't happened.

It was so goddamn satisfying to absolutely obliterate Z with a smash combo chain attack after that obnoxiously long start to the battle.

So I've finished all the main casts side-quests, and found all the heroes. I love how some narrative and character threads that were started in the main quest line, are later finished in that perspective character's quest. Also, it is kinda insane that I'm 80 hours in and still discovering new colonies lol

I appreciate some of the different nuances that are presented with the later colonies, but it is a bit of a bummer that their structure and liberation is mostly the same.

Though the City more than makes up for it. I have almost maxed out the affinity level there, and it is officially my favorite settlement in the entire series.

The Shania quest sealed the deal for me. It really revealed a thread of intensity between the seven houses that added just another layer to the conflicts and struggles of that community.

Now as for tonight, I have a date with Chapter 7.

Last edited:
If you die on phase 2, you have to suffer through phase 1 again.

Why. Oh dear god, why.

I’ve played 85 hours, I’m at chapter 7 and I’ve done almost all the ascension quests.

I honestly miss Rex and I think the game doesn’t have enough humor. This is by far the game with the least amount of humor in the series, even in the side quests.
I don’t dislike it, but I don’t think it will end up being my favorite, even if for sure it’s the entry with least flaws and more polish.

At one point playing something reminded me of Nier Automata, and one thing that immediately stood out to me comparing both games is how Nier is equally bleak but at the same time it’s very much also pretty funny.

It kinda feels like Monolith over corrected because people bitched about XC2.

One example, early chapter 7 spoilers:

Nia is herself for 3 seconds when she wakes up, then turns into a proper lady, which is something she clearly stated she hates in XC2. Which is fine as it’s probably a way to show how she carry the weight of her role in this world, but at the same time I feel like it was the perfect moment to have a quick gag with the party realizing the Queen they so admired is also just “Nia”. It may happen later, but that’s how I feel right now.

Shulk and Noah: “we should think carefully and try not to fight”

Rex: “LETS MOUNT A FULL ON ATTACK!” (A legit quote from him when discussing a rescuer mission lol)

Rex was indeed a earnest goofball

Back
Top Bottom