• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Xenoblade 3 |ST| Σ Become One

After getting further ahead.

I have to say. This games combat isn’t actually better then Xenoblade’s 2. Nor is it worse.

One is more simplistic but faster in pace and a more rewarding chain attack. The other is layers and layers of option but not as rewarding in the grand scheme of things. It’s rather difficult to put into words honestly.

Different strokes and their own thing. But I feel Xenoblade 2 stands highly being a more focused and simple system compared to Xenoblade 3’s. They’re both good equally I feel.

32 hours in and I just barely hit chapter 4. Really loved the side content in chapter 3 and being able to explore the first two zones so thoroughly was awesome. It’s hard to describe the exact feeling of satisfaction that comes when you see a big hill for example and want to climb the heck out of it and ultimately do. More compelling than the excellent story and combat at times for me lol. I definitely prefer the party skills to field skill checks from Xenoblade 2 even if the two I have so far are silly (the first and third for different reasons). Should have way more time to play tomorrow than I did today and I’m eager to explore the new area I’m in.
This! This is what i love in open world games, where there is that feeling of satisfaction in exploring the map "freely". Monolith Soft are wizards in that regard, the only games where i felt that was the first Xenoblade (didn't played the second), Breath of the Wild and now on Xenoblade 3 :); i really missed that felling on a awesome game.

You guys are going way too fast :'( I'm still in Chapter 3, 36 hours in.

Hahaha I just started Chapter 2 with 7 hours in, i want to take my time with this game and explore it at my pace (and also, life gets in the way some days).

I’m only a little ways into Chapter 5 and I’m at 60 hours… so… yeah, I have a lot more to go. Although I think I’ve done practically everything I possibly can up to my level so far (43, I’m slacking a little in the level up department)

lmao I was going to type out a description of this moment of minor frustration at what should’ve been the end of a seven-minute unique monster fight, but decided it’d be more fun to upload the clip instead:

I genuinely don't know if I'm playing this game correctly or not.

I tend to like linear stories, and I like to follow along with them without that immersion of story progression being broken, but man. I noticed a bunch of ? marks opening up mid-Chapter3 and I couldn't help it. I started backtracking to see if I could collect Heroes, and... these Hero quests are so fleshed out and story-driven that it makes me wonder if I'm doing a bunch of stuff out of sequence?

Like, I'm supposed to be climbing a mountain to the southeast but instead I'm back in the first region digging up these really intricate story quests which.. feels wrong for where I am in the story.

Like I'm loving all of this, but I sincerely worry that I'm playing it way wrong story-wise by not marching ahead with the main story and then waiting for the game to naturally give me a spot to return. If that makes sense?

TL;DR: This game is so good that I just want to play all of it even if it means breaking my own story immersion.

That chapter 4 ending is so disappointing. It turned out exactly as I expected.

Well, I’m hoping the end execution is better this time.
Do you mean
N being some other version of Noah? Because IMO that was dead obvious the moment you see him, to the point they didn’t even really seem to be hiding it much. But I didn’t see Mio also being around, Melia being a robot, or them getting rescued by the lost numbers coming at all, so to me that more than made up for the N = Noah bit. Good mix of expected and also unexpected.

What do you mean by expected?

Do you mean
N being some other version of Noah? Because IMO that was dead obvious the moment you see him, to the point they didn’t even really seem to be hiding it much. But I didn’t see Mio also being around, Melia being a robot, or them getting rescued by the lost numbers coming at all, so to me that more than made up for the N = Noah bit. Good mix of expected and also unexpected.
N was obvious. I expected to see Mio also when N was revealed, it just screamed something Xeno would do, and I was right on the money. Plus that Melia was a fake and they were still “good” but we’ll see if that sticks. I wanted to see if they would try an evil Melia for the entire thing. Rather I wanted both of the queens to be the actual villains of this game lol. But yeah, never thought Melia was real. Tho my initial thought was first mind control before this chapter, until we go to her in this fight and her speech was robotic and then I’m like, probably a fake puppet.

N was obvious. I expected to see Mio also when N was revealed, it just screamed something Xeno would do, and I was right on the money. Plus that Melia was a fake and they were still “good” but we’ll see if that sticks. I wanted to see if they would try an evil Melia for the entire thing. Rather I wanted both of the queens to be the actual villains of this game lol. But yeah, never thought Melia was real. Tho my initial thought was first mind control before this chapter, until we go to her in this fight and her speech was robotic and then I’m like, probably a fake puppet.
I thought there had to be something up with Melia too, I was thinking she was acting or putting on a show for Moebius or something, but for some reason her being a fake never occurred to me.

You… actually wanted the queens to be the villains? More power to you, but that would have destroyed me, and also not made a lot of sense unless there were somehow some really good reasons for it IMO. But it still would have made me really annoyed even then

I tend to like linear stories, and I like to follow along with them without that immersion of story progression being broken, but man. I noticed a bunch of ? marks opening up mid-Chapter3 and I couldn't help it. I started backtracking to see if I could collect Heroes, and... these Hero quests are so fleshed out and story-driven that it makes me wonder if I'm doing a bunch of stuff out of sequence?

Like, I'm supposed to be climbing a mountain to the southeast but instead I'm back in the first region digging up these really intricate story quests which.. feels wrong for where I am in the story.

Like I'm loving all of this, but I sincerely worry that I'm playing it way wrong story-wise by not marching ahead with the main story and then waiting for the game to naturally give me a spot to return. If that makes sense?

TL;DR: This game is so good that I just want to play all of it even if it means breaking my own story
So, you can check the class list to get a pretty good idea of when the game expects you to have certain classes

Based on that, most of the Hero Quests in Chapter 3 are intended to be done basically as soon as they appear (and the one that isn't is pretty distinctly level gated). So while it's possible you skipped the one the story intends to be the first permanent Hero (the Hero that gives the War Medic class, who's quest is part of the main story) if you went to the ?s the moment they showed up, you're not really doing things significantly out of order

Mio still probably has my favorite VA in the cast but I have to give props to Taion's VA as well he does so well in emotional scenes, chapter 5 especially

I'm so glad I didn't look up any of the VAs while playing (to avoid spoilers) because if I knew that Z was voiced by Viserys Targaryen from GoT I would have been laughing at every scene he was in.

Last edited:
Just finished chapter 6.
I finished 5 and 6 today, wasn't expecting 6 to be so short.

5 impressed from beginning to end. Getting to the great sword base, hearing Sword Valley's theme, getting to the only real town in the game, the boat and the sea, the prison break, and the whole ending with Mio being forced to wait out the last month imprisoned, the switch between Mio and M, followed by N's breakdown and Noah getting faux Monado Arts.

Having the Monado like talent art that swaps your arts out with a new set with kanji was pretty cool and a great callback. Both 1 and 2 gave the protagonist a unique gimmick (monado arts, Pyra/Mythra/Pneuma switching) and I thought Infinity Blade didn't compare to those, but it turns out that wasn't the unique gimmick. I know some in the prerelease thread don't like the hero having a big unique advantage and were hoping this wouldn't happen, but I think it's a little better this time with having all members active in battle.

I think I'm a little confused about what Noah and Mio are. N and M becoming ouroboros, should've removed them from the cycle of rebirth, but Noah and Mio are like a miracle or did M do something to bring them about? I was hazy on that, either I missed it or it'll be explained later.

Then I did the Colony Omega side story for chapter 6. This felt kind of cheap to me, bringing several characters back as they were and not having to re-grow. The Mwamba return didn't hit any emotional note nor did it feel like they were even trying to. He doesn't even say anything when you go back and talk to him later. Maybe there's a sidequest later back in the city, but the Mwamba return felt unearned and unsatisfying.

I knew Cammuravi was coming back because of the hero roster silhouettes, but this just makes his death feel pointless when he's back exactly how he was. I'm surprised how little Camuravi has to do with anything and he has no connection to anyone like Ethel did with the Keves trio. The tweets and prerelease stuff just made it seem like he would have a larger presence. I initiated his hero quest but didn't continue with it. I was too excited to get to Cloudkeep,

I'm still waiting for the silver haired High Entia boy from their childhood to pop up again. The one who berated Joran, and later Joran saved along with Lanz. We know he survived that attack, he got out with Lanz and is shown sitting the rest when Ethel checks on them and compliments Noah's sword. We've seen the others from his group in the present, Kite's gotten a lot of screen time in the Zeon quests, but the entia boy himself hasn't shown up or even been mentioned. He's so prominent in the flashbacks, I'd be surprised if they don't do anything more with him.

Getting to Cloudkeep, hearing a choir version of Drifting Soul and seeing Nia awake from a KOS-MOS pod was magical. I felt Joran's conclusion was satisfying. I like how D's human form was basically Mumkhar 2.0. I could've lived without knowing Wild Ride was named Dirk.

Then Nia gets to be this game's Klaus. The new arrangement of Eryth Sea's theme at the beginning of chapter 7 was nice. They found the right balance of re-using tracks just enough without going overboard with old stuff. Interesting that Tora and three figures in dark robes were standing next to Nia while building Origin. There was a lot to process there. The 'language of light' sounded way too goofy, but it doesn't really matter.

The Agnus castle day theme is gorgeous!

One really smart underrated thing this game does is tie your equipment and gems to the classes instead of the characters. So when you swap a class out you don’t have to screw around re-equipping everyone with appropriate stuff, they just have whatever you already equipped on that class previously.

TL;DR: This game is so good that I just want to play all of it even if it means breaking my own story immersion.
I’d do the side quests first. Lot of great story stuff there and it’s super fun to thoroughly explore these areas. Two of them in chapter 3 I can’t imagine skipping having done them. My guess, barely starting chapter 4, is the game sort of expands and contracts its freedom regularly between big story beats so there’s side quest time and focused story time.

But yeah there’s always going to be dissonance in a game where someone’s life is on the line, but look there’s a cool mountain over there we want to explore instead lol.

Mio bros we won fast this time

450.jpg
455.jpg

This is helpful, thanks!

I really wish it was just a feature of the in-game map like in previous Xenoblade games, though… I’m still dumbfounded that that’s not the case in XC3. What the hell, MonolithSoft?? I want to understand why, lol. Like, did they just think that the map would be too cluttered if locations were also included? But in that case why not just include a toggle, like XC2 had? I don’t understand…

Hopefully enough people are complaining about it that it’ll be fixed in an update. Not sure if there’s been anyone else here besides me bringing this up, though, since I’ve been kinda hiding away from the XC3 threads until I finish the story myself, lol.
Yea this is me with a lot of little things across the series. Like the absence of the Xenoblade-1 tutorial archive in 2 (finally back in this one!) or how they introduced that Follow Ball feature in X and then dropped it again for 2 and now it's back as well or the custom difficulty thing they added into 2 then didn't have in Torna and this one lol. Objectively good/useful features that should be in the base set of things for every subsequent thing they make but they're not... :D
Mio still probably has my favorite VA in the cast [...]
every time I send off a husk and she goes "Noah, do you mind" ... it gets me. It's such a simply, repeating line but the line read is so full of somber gravitas.

One really smart underrated thing this game does is tie your equipment and gems to the classes instead of the characters. So when you swap a class out you don’t have to screw around re-equipping everyone with appropriate stuff, they just have whatever you already equipped on that class previously.
Ah, that is what's happening when you change classes! Pretty nifty. I hated re-equiping in previous games.

I'm in the middle of a predicament here... I want to see how the story unfolds, but i don't want this game to end :(

There's never going to be a fitting time for most side quests, if that's what you're looking for. If you want to know if you're doing things "correctly", the hero list is a good indicator; it's largely in order (though the inability to tell which heroes are from the story does make it imperfect). However, another good indication is simply the level; if the content is approximately on level with the story, that's the developer-intended point to be doing it.

In a game where one of the main characters is said to have three months to live and the estimated time away from your destination is being measured in months, you need some suspension of disbelief. The flow of time getting whacky as the writers desire is a fairly common trope - especially in anime - and this is no exception. But you're definitely intended to go back and do some of the side quests anyway.

Basically - there is no sequence that naturally includes the side quests. That point you mentioned you're at is actually the most sensical point to do them imo.

Sitting at 80 hours played and still finding tons of things to do. My only advice to series veterans is to really dig into the quest system. Pointless fetch quests from XC1/2 are a thing of the past, and a fair bit of content is locked behind them. Good hunting.

Has anyone been able to get to the top area of the Lavi Sandbar? It's a part located in one of the corners (not the one in the middle with the Feronis Hulk) where there is this elevated structure with seemingly no way to climb it.

Just finished the game. It's easily the best in the franchise, counting even Xenogears (It was my favorite). Just a masterpiece, holy shit. And i thought Xenoblade 1 was a fluke, sorry to doubt you Monolith!

I thought there had to be something up with Melia too, I was thinking she was acting or putting on a show for Moebius or something, but for some reason her being a fake never occurred to me.

You… actually wanted the queens to be the villains? More power to you, but that would have destroyed me, and also not made a lot of sense unless there were somehow some really good reasons for it IMO. But it still would have made me really annoyed even then
I wanted to see if they went in a daring direction. Obviously things don’t make sense unless you write it well. Sorta in a Almaltus way, except we know the characters and the connection would be stronger. I liked The wirting for Almaltus in 2, just that I never got the “I feel sorry for him” since he came off as evil pretty instantly and the backstory wasn’t enough, tho I enjoyed those scenes. But I did figure it wouldn’t happen cuase it’ll be similar themes to 2 and 3 isn’t trying to follow the same ones.

Lol. You went straight to the queen’s castle didn’t you?

Literally after a cutscene if you went the other direction then Noah said in a cutscene. You would run into her
No, I went to
Mio+
's side story, if that's what you mean. I didn't see an Ashera there though.

No, I went to
Mio+
's side story, if that's what you mean. I didn't see an Ashera there though.
I admittedly am lazy to use spoliers cause my phone glitches a lot when doing it on fami lol but

so in chapter 4 when you’re breaking into the Melia’s castle to destroy the Annihilator, Noah saids to not enter the colony and instead do the long way into these rails. If you instead try to go the Colony, a cutscene plays and it’s her Hero Quest.

I admittedly am lazy to use spoliers cause my phone glitches a lot when doing it on fami lol but

so in chapter 4 when you’re breaking into the Melia’s castle to destroy the Annihilator, Noah saids to not enter the colony and instead do the long way into these rails. If you instead try to go the Colony, a cutscene plays and it’s her Hero Quest.
Hahaha holy shit. Didn't even think that was an option.

Officially at 50 hours now and haven't even finished Chapter 4 yet.

This game will last me a lifetime apparently.
I'm there with ya, I'm technically in Chapter 4 but I've just gone back to the Chapter 3 areas and cleaning up random quests, looking for hero quests and exploring. So much fun.

Also I finally pulled off my first Smash combo with an Interlink form! SO satisfying! Now I just need to pull of Burst in any capacity.

Just wrapped up Chapter 3, game has me completely hooked at this point

I'm liking all the characters so far, but I'm fairly surprised by how much I'm liking Lanz. I was expecting him to be a relatively simple Reyn-type meathead, fun but nothing special. Instead he's probably one of the most compelling characters in the series for me

Maybe I just wasn't paying as close attention earlier, but I swear Eunie's accent is getting thicker and thicker with each chapter lol

Just wrapped up Chapter 3, game has me completely hooked at this point

I'm liking all the characters so far, but I'm fairly surprised by how much I'm liking Lanz. I was expecting him to be a relatively simple Reyn-type meathead, fun but nothing special. Instead he's probably one of the most compelling characters in the series for me
I think everyone gets a lot of great character work done and is pretty compelling, which is quite an accomplishment. And if you're just starting Chapter 4... hoo boy. There are some wonderful character scenes coming up that really hammered that home for me.

Considering he has 35 TPs and chain attack is the most OP battle mechanic in the game, has anyone found a single reason to NOT give Taion an attacking class?

My ideal party is basically built around him (attack class) and one of the 2 heroes I have that give nice buffs during chain attacks. The rest genuinely do not matter as long as I can keep all 7 party members alive and charge the chain attack meter.

I don't think there's a "wrong" way to play this game don't worry about that! My personal way to play is to explore basically everywhere that it makes sense for my level to allow me to do so (so if there's enemies blocking a place 10-20 levels above me, for example, I avoid it until later). And then I try to keep current with the level of the main plot - so like, if there's a side quest or hero quest that's part of the main story, I look at the recommended level for it and then make sure all sidequests that are that level or below are done before I move on. It's not a hard and fast rule, though, just a preference.

Considering he has 35 TPs and chain attack is the most OP battle mechanic in the game, has anyone found a single reason to NOT give Taion an attacking class?

My ideal party is basically built around him (attack class) and one of the 2 heroes I have that give nice buffs during chain attacks. The rest genuinely do not matter as long as I can keep all 7 party members alive and charge the chain attack meter.
Yeah I'm curious why they gave each character a set chain attack score, but it makes it easier to prioritize characters for certain party roles.

Only thing I've found is you still want a decent mix of healers to non healers, I've prematurely ended a few chain attacks because I had 2-3 healers left and nothing to finish the chain lol.

I just finished the major battle in Maktha during Chapter 4 in hard mode. The only thing I can utter is: intense as fuck!!
Thaumaturge really makes the difference here since they can finish the Daze combo path and delay the Moebiuses long enough for other healers to outheal the damage, especially the tentacle attacks.
Also another observation regarding characters' reaction to the environment.
Eunie loves treasure barrels lol, she always rushes toward them and says "finder keeper". Noah and Mio are obviously attracted to the soldier husks since they want to do their thing.

Yeah I'm curious why they gave each character a set chain attack score, but it makes it easier to prioritize characters for certain party roles.

Only thing I've found is you still want a decent mix of healers to non healers, I've prematurely ended a few chain attacks because I had 2-3 healers left and nothing to finish the chain lol.

Yeah you don't want more than 2 healers really. Some heroes (like Grey to name one known pre-release) also have some very good chain attack bonuses. Heros like Zeon on the other hand are kinda useless it seems?

So is the game good?
I'm hearing different opinions from both sides.
Some say it's the best in the series and others say it's the worst in the series.
I haven't heard anyone say it's the worst myself. Most people, at least in this thread, would probably say it's the best in the series.

Back
Top Bottom