• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Giving everyone 24 hours to digest the Indie World from yesterday, it's time for another weekly question to tingle your brains!

If you could see one GameCube game get a remaster for the Switch in this next direct, what game would you pick?
CHIBI ROBOOOOOO!!!

Giving everyone 24 hours to digest the Indie World from yesterday, it's time for another weekly question to tingle your brains!

If you could see one GameCube game get a remaster for the Switch in this next direct, what game would you pick?
if we're talking "upscaled Hagi port" kind of remaster, gimme Luigi's Mansion

if it's more along the lines of Prime Remastered, I think I'd pick Chibi-Robo

My 2 picks wont happen: FE PoR (because FE4 is on the way) and Gale of Darkness (because of TPC) lol.

So lets go with my next pick, a game I still have on my will lol:
mm8uY9Z.png
I was gonna say F-Zero GX but this has reminded me that Custom Robo needs it a bit more, especially as we never got the GameCube game here in Europe so a Switch remaster with online multiplayer would be greatly appreciated

Super Smash Bros Melee to watch the world burn if Nintendo took out any of the glitches and because I would like to play a remastered Melee.

Chibi-Robo. No buts, no alternatives. Chibi-Robo.

10c5b67566a2fa0d8be8631fe38aefc1e9646831r1-500-281_hq.gif

also Skies of Arcadia and Custom Robo

Hm...good question. Star wars rough squadron 2, , melee, path of radiance, fzero gx, second sight,, .not sure if there is much else left that I would want .. so let's say: FE path of Radiance.

If Prime 4 is a no show this year I'm chopping it up to insiders being wrong about how far the game is to completion
But has any insider claimed that the game is close to completion or about how far it is? Last thing I remember is Papa Geno's saying that it was apparently delayed because Nintendo wasn't happy with the cinematics.

Other than that, I only recall Emily saying it was targeting 2023 back in late 2021 which is mostly in line with a possible release in 2024 or 2025 following internal delays.
So what do we think happens first? Prime 4 trailer or Switch 2 reveal trailer?
Metroid Prime 4 trailer. Even if it's held to be released with the next console, they'll reveal the game for Switch and then have it appearing on the Switch 2 trailer just like BotW did with Wii U/Switch.

I'd say it can appear on the trailer even if it releases before the console just like a bunch of already released games appeared on the OLED trailer alongside Dread, TotK and Splatoon 3.

I'm gonna say Twilight Princess because I think it can get another remaster not based on TP HD for Switch. Call it "Twilight Princess Remastered", touch up the geometry, add a new lighting and all. Just make something in the vein of Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.

For first party Star Fox Assault has the top priority for me. I do have tons of runner ups: Eternal Darkness, Chibi Robo, FE Path of Radiance, SF Adventures, Batallion Wars, Giftpia.

Third party? Tough choice. Sounds like a three way tie for Skies of Arcadia, Metal Gear Twin Snakes and Rogue Squadron 2.

Trying to come up with something I wouldn't normally say, so y'know what, I'd love to see Doshin the Giant come over

But has any insider claimed that the game is close to completion or about how far it is? Last thing I remember is Papa Geno's saying that it was apparently delayed because Nintendo wasn't happy with the cinematics
fwiw Nate did say late last year that they could have shown it in 2023 and that "the only thing preventing a 2024 release is if Nintendo holds it back for strategic reasons"

Not saying that's the same as saying it's "done" or sitting finished on a shelf already, but it does kinda suggest Prime 4 is in the home stretch development-wise

Definitely Skies of Arcadia. There are some game so think need full remakes (imagine Eternal Darkness getting the REmake treatment. Only way it would work I think).

Custom Robo and it isn't even close. It's viable, isn't caught up in licensing nonsense, and extremely overdue since 2006 on DS. Not to mention, I love the idea of Joycon colours influencing the Robos you build based on what's hooked up to your Switch. One of the top five hypest game attract screens of all time

Other contenders I would be content to see get a port/remaster is Starfox Adventures (Rare at MS), Chibi Robo (RIP Skip), F-Zero GX (Sega/AV Studios/Nagoshi), Luigi's Mansion (probably doable and still fairly likely before LM2 drops), or from third parties SSX Tricky, Soul Calibur 2 (with all three guest characters), and/or Gauntlet Dark Legacy

Last edited:
I really really want a legit Galaxy movie that puts a good spotlight on Rosalina and her story. I wanna go to a Mario movie and cry, dammit, because somehow heartbreak feels good in a place like this
Same. I'm just wary because Illumination you know. Lighting pacing you know. Style over subtance you know. But I know it would be visually perfect lol. The mighty scale of Bowser's space armada. The Comet Observatory. The flight scenes in space dies of hype

Custom Robo is cool, but I have more of a soft spot for the DS game over the Gamecube one and would love that one instead, but that's less feasible.

A new one would be even cooler though.

F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, Rogue Squadron saga.

GameCube version of Tales of Symphonia remastered and exclusive to Nintendo platforms like God intended.

Remember what they took from you:
Chibi_Robo.jpg

There's only one possible answer from me. Maybe rebalance it though if they want to give it online.

The first Chibi-Robo! is my pick, unsurprisingly.

I do think if they were going to try to bring that series back in any meaningful way without taking the risk on a new entry, a touch-up of the first game is the best way to get people into the series. It's the best received of them all and is the best example of what the series is, in my opinion.

Honorable mention to Eternal Darkness, though. The idea of Nintendo having and utilizing a dedicated horror franchise that isn't Luigi's Mansion is very tempting.

F-Zero GX would be very cool!
But I like Metroid Prime 2 more

Melee on Switch 2 please 👀

I would do terrible, terrible things for Animal Crossing e++

I still haven’t bought a single game this year and I probably won’t buy anything for this first half so it would be the perfect time for a metroid prime 2 release, I’m in the mood for some metroid and I’m willing to spend 40€ for it

Normally I'd choose one of the Zelda games but since those are more than likely not going to be hagi ports but their respective Wii U HD versions

First place for me is Star Fox Adventures, second the first Luigi's Mansion

220px-Star_Fox_Adventures_GCN_Game_Box.jpg
images

Animal Crossing is actually the better choice fuck, but I love Air Ride so much I'll stay with that. Thing is playing that with UnclePunch's mods/hacks is already exactly what I want anyway lol

Remaster Or remake?
Remake Eternal darkness
Remaster Ocarina of time master quest

Eternal Darkness all the way. Being the Switch a portable console where you have volume controls and stuff like that it would be totally possible to mess with player's head like the original but with a modernized scheme.

i've never played Skies of Arcadia and would be interested in giving it a shot if it got one

Eternal Darkness sounds interesting too and i've also never played that but I don't really play a lot of games in its genre in general so gotta give it to Skies of Arcadia here

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and don't forget to remaster Radiant Dawn as well.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and don't forget to remaster Radiant Dawn as well.
I'm on board! My only gripe with those games are the horrible voice acting in the cutscenes, which admittedly aren't that important to a fire emblem game, but man were they bad. Like grab your little brother and have him record some lines for us, bad.

Also, the battle/attack scenes were kinda ugly (especially given how glorious the GBA ones were in that regard). Again, not super important since typically I turn off battle animations after some time, but still could use polish.

I'm on board! My only gripe with those games are the horrible voice acting in the cutscenes, which admittedly aren't that important to a fire emblem game, but man were they bad. Like grab your little brother and have him record some lines for us, bad.

Also, the battle/attack scenes were kinda ugly (especially given how glorious the GBA ones were in that regard). Again, not super important since typically I turn off battle animations after some time, but still could use polish.
Path of Radiance's I agree, but Radiant Dawn's are great. Love the individual stances each character has, especially each Swordmaster.

Metroid Prime 2 in the style of Metroid Prime Remastered

fwiw Nate did say late last year that they could have shown it in 2023 and that "the only thing preventing a 2024 release is if Nintendo holds it back for strategic reasons"

Not saying that's the same as saying it's "done" or sitting finished on a shelf already, but it does kinda suggest Prime 4 is in the home stretch development-wise
Ohh I forgot about that, thanks!!

Yeah, I think the game releasing late this year makes sense. Would already account for a delay from 2023, and with some contracts I think it's been on the polishing phase and maybe even QA testing already. And would be ~6 years of development, so plenty of time for Retro to fully realize their vision.

I honestly don't think it was ever meant to be cross gen, since major games like Pikmin 4, Super Mario RPG and mainly Wonder were always meant to come in 2023 just like MP4 was at some point. It'd happen to be cross gen because it'd come just around the same time as Switch 2 this fall, but with the hardware delay I think it's still aiming for that spot. But it coming in spring 2025 isn't off the cards and wouldn't mean a disaster or anything like that. I just hope we see it this year because I can't wait!!
I'll answer my own question for once with a game we'll probably never see; Animal Crossing.
I think the biggest plot twist possible would be either Animal Crossing or New Leaf coming in the fall and we get both a remaster/remake and a 10m selling game in the second half looooool.

I honestly don't think it was ever meant to be cross gen, since major games like Pikmin 4, Super Mario RPG and mainly Wonder were always meant to come in 2023 just like MP4 was at some point. It'd happen to be cross gen because it'd come just around the same time as Switch 2 this fall, but with the hardware delay I think it's still aiming for that spot
same, I've always figured that if Prime 4 ends up being cross-gen, it'd be more incidentally so and not because it's planned as some strategic next-gen showcase. Like, if Prime 4 isn't ready this year and needs to wait til spring, I could see them thinking "OK, let's see if we can line this up with the general time of when the Switch 2 will be out". But I also think if it can come out this year, it's not really the kind of thing Nintendo would hold back for 6-8 more months just so it can be a "premier Switch 2 title"

I think a lot of people have it in their head that if Nintendo/Retro make Prime 4 cross-gen or even maybe next-gen only, it'll somehow not be "held back" by the older hardware, but the reality is that the bulk of its development has almost certainly been with the current Switch as the target hardware. So I don't see it changing much one way or the other; more granular things like load times and resolution might be better on the new thing, but "Switch 1-only vs Cross-gen vs Next-gen only" probably isn't gonna fundamentally change whatever Prime 4 ends up being at this point. Much like how BotW is, for all intents and purposes, the same game whether you play it on WiiU or Switch

I guess I'll be the only TRUE Gamecube fan here!
61PgKKz6n+L.jpg

OG Animal Crossing.

Best music in the series (by FAR), and it just has that special aura that the later entries just don't have (even Wild World was a very different game already).

Are the latter games all better games ? Yes, definitely. But the first Animal Crossing game is just very different and unique.

Beyond this one, I would say Chibi Robo (though I would probably prefer it to be remade. Even back then the controls were a bit rough, even if probably a bit on purpose), F-Zero GX (need that Dreamcast era Sega energy on my Nintendo console), and Odama (need that weird ass late N64/early Gamecube era energy on my Nintendo console. Bring Doshin the Giant too even if that game is fucking terrible, it has soul nonetheless)

I feel like I’d get the most out of Four Swords Adventures with online play so maybe that? F-Zero GX with online play and everything unlocked from the start would also be super cool. I could take a straight port of Kirby’s Air Ride and be happy there.

If I was being a touch strategic, games I haven’t played like Fire Emblem and Skies of Arcadia would probably be better picks for myself.

Back
Top Bottom