• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

One year ago, in front of so many doom posts, I would have simply said "Play Octopath II".

This year, to fit this ever-evolving gaming landscape, I will tell you to play Octopath II.

Have we considered that this might actually be a good week for Nintendo to drop some kind of news? Seeing as the 3DS and Wii U eshops just shut down, I'm sure they would be keen to redirect the news to some more positive news this week in particular..

Maybe we can make this a page of people recommending games to play while we wait for a Direct.

Virtually no one played Switch GOTY 2024 contender Under Night In-Birth II. It’s super good!

Also nowhere near enough love for Pepper Grinder on Fami. It’s a little short but super fun!

I’m playing Unicorn Overlord and Dragon’s Dogma II this week myself :)

giphy.gif

This post deservses respect from no one else but the one legend Aretha.

As someone that has Octopath here but is not in involved jrpg mood, that isn't blown away from unicorn and has pepper grinder on the back as a summer flue filler. (Years ago I replayed metroidvanias, but that fell of when they got bigger and instead I play shorter indies.

What I would be in the mood right now:
Fresh smash/2d Zelda/ 3d mario/Metroid/silksong content. Nothing that's to close on the horizon. (And a ton of more and less obscure stuff that's also not possible, like a ton of impossible ports or a new nier)

My Switch backlog progress has stalled somewhat because I've poured a lot of time into Baldur's Gate 3 over the last week, and for a couple of weeks before that I wasn't gaming much due to illness. Realistically I'm more than sorted for gaming options, but I would like to have more to look forward to later this year (even if I'll still be getting through Old RPGs and the like). I ended up in Act 2 of BG3 without really realising it so I'm going to complete that second act before I take my break to play Unicorn Overlord.

Paper Mario and World of Goo 2 next month, though, and I might pick up Endless Ocean in the summer if I've gotten around to finishing Prince of Persia, Bayonetta Origins and Star Ocean 2.

I’m playing evil west, which I’m really enjoying because it has the spirit of a b level xbox 360 game action game. Also playing Majoras Mask 3D, and Bowsers Fury.

Maybe we can make this a page of people recommending games to play while we wait for a Direct.

Virtually no one played Switch GOTY 2024 contender Under Night In-Birth II. It’s super good!

Also nowhere near enough love for Pepper Grinder on Fami. It’s a little short but super fun!
Pikimin 4?

Thinking about it, it definitely feels Nintendo put down a lock on a lot of leaker sources ... outside of Pyoro.

Grubb's been happily talking about PS and MS Showcases in May and June, there's a shitload of detailed rumors of the PS5 Pro and so on.

Nintendo? Ever since the rumored delay reports hit, silence.

It ... is somewhat impressive in today's connected world. And a bit frustrating... ;]

Thinking about it, it definitely feels Nintendo put down a lock on a lot of leaker sources ... outside of Pyoro.

Grubb's been happily talking about PS and MS Showcases in May and June, there's a shitload of detailed rumors of the PS5 Pro and so on.

It ... is somewhat impressive in today's connected world. And a bit frustrating... ;]
I don't think a lot has changed. The situation is similar to 2016, where aside from a lot of fake rumors, only a handful of substantial information leaked every few months or so.

Frustration is a important part of Nintendo‘s marketing.

For the Switch it was drifting Joy-Sticks, for NG it‘s the delay.

My 2023 GOTY was Brotato. Anyone who enjoyed Vampire Survivors should look into it. The devs will be at this week's indie showcase, and I'd be ecstatic with news of dlc.

At this point I don't care about new releases, I'm fine without new first party games until Switch 2 (although ports are welcome), but it would be great to have more NSO games, Nintendo Selects and some special edition consoles. I'd love a Hylian Shield Switch Lite...

Imagine if they announced a Metroid Direct this week.

With Prime 4 reveal and release date, new Metroid Amiibo, Prime 2+3 releasing very soon, Metroid short-series show announced, Metroid-themed Pro Controller and Metroid Console, AND Samus Returns HD.

I'm not asking for much. Gimme.

The quiet period has been an excellent opportunity for me to dive into Trails into Reverie as I aim to be fully caught up in time for Trails through Daybreak.

Definitely one of the things I've appreciated about the Switch era is that even when things are quiet on the first party front, there's tons of great third party stuff to check out, like Unicorn Overlord that many here have mentioned

Spring isn't really starting here in the UK so that's probably a sign all Directs, events, games and speculation have been cancelled. Sorry, I don't make the rules up even if I just did make this up.
No, that sounds right. Since we're trapped in this endless grey drizzle winter, game hype season can't happen

In good old Ubisoft fashion, the release date for Star Wars Outlaws was leaked by Ubi Japan's YT page for the trailer that airs later today.

Releases August 30th. 3 days early access if you get one of those other shenanigan versions.

I know it's not Direct related, but hey, you wanted news.

In good old Ubisoft fashion, the release date for Star Wars Outlaws was leaked by Ubi Japan's YT page for the trailer that airs later today.

Releases August 30th. 3 days early access if you get one of those other shenanigan versions.

Perfect timing. It will be $20 by Black Friday.

I’m feeling something, something’s about to happen

EDIT: nahhh just Splatoon promotion

If even something releasing on 30 August leaked, does that mean we won't see a Direct until September?

Ah, it's Ubisoft, nevermind.

oh yeah, getting upset about the lack of a direct is silly either way
I don’t think getting being dissapointed is unreasonable. Directs, and direct speculation have become a reliable hit of dopamine for much of this community. Like anything that causes that dopamine release, exercising, coffee, ect… not having it for a long period of time will make you want it if you have become accustom to it.

I know that’s how it is for me, I’m like borderline addicted to gaming news, hence the reason I’m
here so much, and visit the gamingleaksandrumors sub reddit often. The trick then becomes what healthy thing can I use to replace the dopamine hit I was looking for from a Nintendo direct, or new game announcement.

Theres probably quite a few factors at play here, hype culture being chief among them. Whats helped me somewhat recently is trying to gleam more joy from playing the games themselves rather than anticipating a huge announcement for whatever.

Sorry for my ramble, just something I’ve been thinking about in recent years now that e3 has gone away and big game announcements are fewer and further between than they used to be.

Weekly Direct Question #4
Didn't post a question yesterday so everyone in the path of the eclipse could enjoy it, myself included. That changes today though!

Will we see any movie news (be it live action Zelda, the Mario Bros sequel, or something else) in the next Nintendo Direct?

Didn't post a question yesterday so everyone in the path of the eclipse could enjoy it, myself included. That changes today though!

Will we see any movie news (be it live action Zelda, the Mario Bros sequel, or something else) in the next Nintendo Direct?
My guess is probably not.

However, this week is Cinemacon. I suppose if Universal Studios wants to talk a bit about the Mario sequel, since Nintendo got the ball rolling with announcing its existence, maybe they'll do so tomorrow!

no, Zelda won't be very far along til Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes releases next month (and Hollywood are seemingly planning as if we could very well be in for another lengthy round of strikes this year from IATSE, so it's certainly not going to shoot this year), I think Mario movie stuff they wait til the 40th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. in 2025, especially given the film doesn't release til 2026 there's not really much reason to talk about it before 2025 alongside new 3D Mario/Mario Kart etc...

My guess is probably not.

However, this week is Cinemacon. I suppose if Universal Studios wants to talk a bit about the Mario sequel, since Nintendo got the ball rolling with announcing its existence, maybe they'll do so tomorrow!
I’m so excited for the Mario sequel. I think they need to introduce yoshi, Daisy, wario, and waluigi in this one. Rosalina should be saved for a big 3rd movie that loosely adapts Mario galaxy (and she should be voiced by Scarlett Johansson)

I'll say that would probably come in the September Direct at the earliest. I think the Zelda movie especially is a ways off.

Another Fire Emblem anime adaptation

my hot take is the TTYD release by itself is already better than all of 2021
I...look, I did look up notable releases that year. If it weren't for New Pokemon Snap and Monster Hunter Rise, I'd fight you.

But then again, neither of those games were technically first party, so...I'm thinking I may side with you on this one.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I’m so excited for the Mario sequel. I think they need to introduce yoshi, Daisy, wario, and waluigi in this one. Rosalina should be saved for a big 3rd movie that loosely adapts Mario galaxy (and she should be voiced by Scarlett Johansson)
My expectation is basically Yoshi, Daisy and the Koopalings (+ Junior?), and for what basically be a speedrun adaptation of SMB3 + World.

Yoshi is pretty much a definite thanks to the stinger, Daisy would be great to give Peach some company, and the Koopalings following up on a similar tease with Ludwig on Bowser's piano, likewise, would serve the same purpose of giving Bowser a larger, supporting cast to bounce off when he's not stealing the show.

Oh, and since they apparently mined that old Super Mario Adventures comic for ideas, I'd love if Wendy similarly got the upgrade to "Dark Action Girl" from that adaptation to give Peach a rival of her own.

As for Wario (and Waluigi), I'm not sure. I almost think they can afford to save the W's for later. Fights pitting our heroes against their "evil doppelgangers" are usually saved for the third movie in a series, right...?

I feel like Nintendo's promotion/marketing really dropped after mid March. Can't shake the feeling that they had a gaping hole in the marketing schedule after the delay (since it was rumored to be announced in March originally) and never figured out how to fill it so they're just coasting rn

I feel like Nintendo's promotion/marketing really dropped after mid March. Can't shake the feeling that they had a gaping hole in the marketing schedule after the delay (since it was rumored to be announced in March originally) and never figured out how to fill it so they're just coasting rn
It's gotten really unpredictable, before you could pretty much count on a tweet coming around 9am Eastern time nearly every week day. Now they seem more random.

I just impulse bought Blasphemous on Switch. It's been on my wishlist for years now and I saw it was half off so why not.

Back
Top Bottom