• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Regarding the Bandai Namco 3D remake / remaster project, is there a consensus yet on what this could be, or are we still on pure speculation? I can't explain how stoked I'd be if it was Star Fox: Assault, as it's one of my all-time favorites and something I'd be overjoyed to see revived. That one makes sense based on them having done the original and the basic 3D action game description, but it also feels like a far-out wildcard just based on its lower popularity level. Either way, we are so overdue for something Star Fox that it hurts. I always wanted Assault's template to be the type of route the franchise went in afterwards, but alas, it wasn't to be.
I don't know if there's a firm consensus, but the two most common guesses seem to be either Starfox Assault (since Namco developed it originally) or Kid Icarus Uprising (since there's the Sakurai connection with Bandai Namco having worked on the last few Smash games)

fwiw, there does seem to be some movement on Star Fox, though nothing conclusive. Switch Sports had some objects in its code referencing Starfox objects (things like "Logic_StarFoxLaserEnegyItem" and "Logic_StarFoxTestRing", and there was a new trademark filed for Starfox in late 2023. Again, no absolute smoking gun, but some signs of life

Real talk, if there's a traditional Switch-only September Direct, and they still don't reveal Switch successor games, what the hell can they even show if the thing is widely considered to launch sometime between March-June 2025? Feels like they'd show the holiday game for this year in the June Direct.
Switch should live another 2-3 years alongside of the successor. It'll get games as long as it sells and it will.

That said, a Partner Showcase is more plausible for the september Direct. With all that Gears collection rumors, this one can me dominated by Microsoft games, likely collections of older games. Other than that, publishers like Namco, Square, Marvelous or Konami have no intention to drop Switch right now, they have quite a lot potential releases for the system. More on the re-release side but there should be few new games as well, especially smaller publishers like FuRyu, Marvelous or Koei.

Nintendo isn't touching Assault, or any other previous Star Fox game with a ten foot pole. Whatever is next for it will be brand new.

Kid Icarus on the other hand is a top candidate for a remaster.

Nintendo isn't touching Assault, or any other previous Star Fox game with a ten foot pole. Whatever is next for it will be brand new.

Kid Icarus on the other hand is a top candidate for a remaster.
We already know Bandai Namco is working on a remaster of a Nintendo 3D action game, and it's definitely not Kid Icarus because the hirings took place before Sakurai deconfirmed a remaster. Star Fox is the only other thing that makes sense to me.

I dunno. Assault is weird in that it is especially well-liked among its fans, and its bolstered by both those with Gamecube nostalgia, and those who yearn for "when Nintendo wasn't stuck making the same story for a Star Fox game".

That said, any serious effort to revisit Assault would be akin to making a brand-new game, as I can't see a game with a slap-dash campaign comprised of multiplayer maps flying in today's world. And that's the main reason I could see them shying away.

Likely referring to Sakurai's Game Concept Video on Kid Icarus Uprising. Not an explicit deconfirmation, but here's the quote:

There's also this tweet:

Porting or making a sequel would be difficult...At the current level of gaming, even remaking one model would be costly, and it would not be possible to handle the large volume of this game.Sometimes I think about writing a continuation of the scenario without any particular purpose, but I can't imagine what the product will be like without it...Play it on your 3DS while you can!

Real talk, if there's a traditional Switch-only September Direct, and they still don't reveal Switch successor games, what the hell can they even show if the thing is widely considered to launch sometime between March-June 2025? Feels like they'd show the holiday game for this year in the June Direct.
I think it’s still possible we get a September show to show off early 2025 games, it just might be shorter or a Partner Showcase. If Switch does drop in March, they’ll probably want to avoid talking about it as long as possible to have as strong a holiday as possible. Switch 1 should have a respectable cross gen period. I expect it to be fairly active still through 2025 at least.

Yes. General in June - the one and only this year - Partner in September, Switch 2 reveal in October, with other software reveals and updates via Twitter sounds about right to me. Then hopefully we'll be back on the three-a-year General Train next year with the Switch 2 coming. I expect Switch 1 software to keep showing up for a couple years' worth of Directs, but obviously taking a big backseat now to Switch 2 and probably being primarily ports.

I think it’s still possible we get a September show to show off early 2025 games, it just might be shorter or a Partner Showcase. If Switch does drop in March, they’ll probably want to avoid talking about it as long as possible to have as strong a holiday as possible. Switch 1 should have a respectable cross gen period. I expect it to be fairly active still through 2025 at least.
Partner Showcase with one Endless Ocean-style first party game in September then a Switch 2 reveal in October feels a solid possibility.

June Direct announces the rest of this year’s lineup + one game with a nebulous “2025” date, September Direct gives us one more and then maybe a Game Awards drop to reveal the full pre-Switch 2 lineup.

I wonder if Gio Corsi can manage to bring Yakuza remastered collection, 0 and Kiwami 1-2 to Switch in time for September Direct. They can port the 3-4-5 collection in few months but the rest of them might require some extra time.

I wonder if Gio Corsi can manage to bring Yakuza remastered collection, 0 and Kiwami 1-2 to Switch in time for September Direct. They can port the 3-4-5 collection in few months but the rest of them might require some extra time.
Switch can handle 0, Kiwami, 3, 4 an 5. Though i doubt it can handle Kiwami 2 as that's Dragon Engine.

So, Capcom anticipates $1 billion in sales for FY25, ending March 31, 2025. Obviously, MH Wilds and RE9 are going to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for the coming cycle, but I wonder what else is on the docket. Or even if we'll see any of it at Nintendo's June presentation.
In this edition of Dream Land math:

Monster Hunter Wilds: $325 million
Resident Evil 9: $175 million
Ace Attorney 7: $500 million

We already know Bandai Namco is working on a remaster of a Nintendo 3D action game, and it's definitely not Kid Icarus because the hirings took place before Sakurai deconfirmed a remaster. Star Fox is the only other thing that makes sense to me.
Imagine if its Gamecube Chibi Robo

So, Capcom anticipates $1 billion in sales for FY25, ending March 31, 2025. Obviously, MH Wilds and RE9 are going to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for the coming cycle, but I wonder what else is on the docket. Or even if we'll see any of it at Nintendo's June presentation.

Honestly, i think they're fine hitting that goal with just MH Wilds and Resi 9 and continued sales of stuff like Dragons Dogma 2 and the likes.

Is it more likely for the switch 2 to not be acknowledged again this year, to not affect holiday sales?

Gut feeling:

They "fully" reveal it in September (to allow thirds to talk freely at TGS) or October (as Switch 1 was revealed that month).

Is it more likely for the switch 2 to not be acknowledged again this year, to not affect holiday sales?
Nintendo already acknowledged it. The cat is out of the bag. I'm pretty sure there's no more system selling games coming anyways (Fire Emblem and Metroid are not that), so if anyone is planning on buying a system a Switch 2 announcement won't change that.

Pretty sure one of the investor Q&A answers has Furukawa acknowledging that by talking about the successor they may effect Switch sales, but that they will continue to focus on reaching both new customers for Switch as well as selling additional units to households already in possession of a Switch.

I'm not a business expert but I always thought that acknowledging it won't affect holiday sales at all. The people who know about Switch 2 would also guess that its probably not the best idea to buy a 7 year old console now, whether the new one is announced or not. Also, the Switch 2 announcement will strengthen the Switch brand and Nintendo in general and keep people talking about the system.

But what day

Throwing out a fun, random speculation:

June 11th.

Because that day they stop the Twitter upload of screenshots via Switch.
And it's a tuesday, where Nintendo's E³ events usually took place.

Don't worry, if this fun speculations ends up true, i laugh about it myself.

Dreamt that the Direct announced that we're getting Spelunking Simulator with Samus Aran, a first-person cave exploration game where you explore the cave systems of alien worlds with Samus as your guide/instructor. Played the demo they released after the Direct and it was very good.

But what day
Whichever day makes it harder for Geoff Keighley to claim that it's part of Summer Game Fest.

I'm not going to think about this too much (nor should anyone else) but with the expectation that this upcoming Direct may be the final one only focused on Switch, do we think we'll be doing another one of these threads before the end of the year? I know that there was some speculation about a Partner Showcase in September as well

I'm not going to think about this too much (nor should anyone else) but with the expectation that this upcoming Direct may be the final one only focused on Switch, do we think we'll be doing another one of these threads before the end of the year? I know that there was some speculation about a Partner Showcase in September as well
That’s the part I didn’t think about. June will most likely be the last general until next year.

I’d say so. A good few people are going to ask for it and there will inevitably be another show if it’s not in September.

They could "avoid" having a fall Direct (outside of maybe an Indie Showcase) if they would reveal Switch 2 in September.

This way they could show / announce and have thirds show / announce not only Switch 2 exclusives, but also cross-gen games they keep back on announcing due to wanting to show them the best way possible (with the Switch 2 version).

they already said they don't think it will affect sales when they reveal it. Besides, in its 8th year, it is quite unlikely there are much people that would buy a Switch in its current form and conditions that would hold back for the successor. Pretty much every first-year adopter of the Switch 2 have already bought the Switch 1.

EDIT: they did not actually say that, they more or less implied they'll be ready to deal with it.

Last edited:
they already said they don't think it will affect sales when they reveal it. Besides, in its 8th year, it is quite unlikely there are much people that would buy a Switch in its current form and conditions that would hold back for the successor. Pretty much every first-year adopter of the Switch 2 have already bought the Switch 1.
He actually didn’t say that

We do not think the announcement of the successor to Nintendo Switch and future related
communications will have zero impact on Nintendo Switch sales. However, we hope to
maximize sales this fiscal year by maintaining a good balance between new demand and
demand for multiple systems. Our hardware sales forecast of 13.5 million units for the fiscal
year will not be easily achieved, but with the intention of challenging ourselves, we have set
this number as the initial fiscal year guidance.

at this point in the Switch’s life cycle, I don’t think we should be worrying about this. It’s time to talk about the successor, even Nintendo accepts it

It's funny but, thanks to the intrepid work of the hardware speculation thread, we've got a good idea of what to expect in terms of the internals and size of the incoming console. We've probably never had that much information - certainly not pieced together by the community - in this way in the past. The more exciting part will be the games. Sure, I'd expect to immediately see Nintendo confirming heavy hitters - 3D Super Mario and Mario Kart at the very least - but there's also the possibility of new IP, less high profile things (pls Astral Chain 2), and more; plus, it'll also be the case that this is a much, much bigger technological leap for Nintendo's developers than Wii U to Switch was, and so we'll be seeing new visual styles, techniques, and gameplay concepts.

I'm still looking forward to next month's Direct, especially because I do think we're going to see some of Nintendo's core, enthusiast facing IP (Fire Emblem and Metroid feel highly likely to me; Zelda and Donkey Kong are maybes). But what comes after the June Direct is going to be on another level.

It's funny but, thanks to the intrepid work of the hardware speculation thread, we've got a good idea of what to expect in terms of the internals and size of the incoming console. We've probably never had that much information - certainly not pieced together by the community - in this way in the past. The more exciting part will be the games. Sure, I'd expect to immediately see Nintendo confirming heavy hitters - 3D Super Mario and Mario Kart at the very least - but there's also the possibility of new IP, less high profile things (pls Astral Chain 2), and more; plus, it'll also be the case that this is a much, much bigger technological leap for Nintendo's developers than Wii U to Switch was, and so we'll be seeing new visual styles, techniques, and gameplay concepts.

I'm still looking forward to next month's Direct, especially because I do think we're going to see some of Nintendo's core, enthusiast facing IP (Fire Emblem and Metroid feel highly likely to me; Zelda and Donkey Kong are maybes). But what comes after the June Direct is going to be on another level.

I think if they wouldn't have plans for Astral Chains, they wouldn't have bothered to get the partial rights back from P*.

But what day
I think the 20th; far enough from SGF that most people won't fall for Keighley trying to act like it's under his SGF umbrella (don't get me wrong, he'll still try) while still being a week before Luigi's Mansion 2 so they can give that game one last marketing push

it has to be some sort of Donkey Kong game, a new 2D/3D game, a remaster/remake of older DK game, anounce that Illumination Studios, beside working on the next Mario movie, is also working on a Donkey Kong, all this is essencial to make Donkey Kong a important franchise again
What do people believe in more- a new DK game or new 2D Zelda game coming first?

It's really funny (in an endearing way) that as soon as the Direct is confirmed y'all start speculating about the next one, hahaha.

Indie World in August and maaaaaybe a Partner later on is all I'd count on after this June Direct, truly. I really do not think we'll get the usual September one this time around.
Do you think the discourse will shift some after June Direct? As in gradually moving to mentions of games coming to successor? Wondering about that because Furukawa specifically said June Direct will make no mention of successor. But after that?

For example, BOTW was mentioned in April 2016 coming for both Wii U and "NX" (Switch name wasn't revealed at the time).

It's really funny (in an endearing way) that as soon as the Direct is confirmed y'all start speculating about the next one, hahaha.

Indie World in August and maaaaaybe a Partner later on is all I'd count on after this June Direct, truly. I really do not think we'll get the usual September one this time around.

Like i've written in my post above, if Nintendo schedules things smartly, they can have a one-two-hit with the Switch 2 reveal and TGS 2024 with enough cross-gen stuff to double-count as a "Switch Showcase" too.

I'd prefer if we didn't get a September Direct this year. If there are any holiday titles, those should be announced in June. Anything else of note should be saved for the successor.

This is not the repeat of 2016 though, Switch is still alive and kicking unlike Wii U and 3DS, which were in their deathbed. Not only I think we'll get a partner september, I also think Switch will separately get a February Direct next to the successor's full reveal event.

Back
Top Bottom