• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Think of yourself as President Furukawa. What software would you lineup for the Switch to sell 13.5 million units this fiscal year?
  • a hefty price cut
  • Nintendo Selects
  • random number of existing Switch consoles self-destruct and need replacing

There are wildcard options for big selling titles, like Mario Party, Donkey Kong and Tomodachi; perhaps 2D Zelda if it's new and strikes a chord, or the HD Zelda remasters if they do bundle them should move over 5 million easily. The other stuff likely or possible - Fire Emblem, Metroid, Mario sports - can't be banked on as big sellers.

But what day
I'm going to say the 30th. Just because Nintendo wants people to be on edge and wondering when tf the direct will be and everyone will doom right before thinking that plans changed

Last edited:
This is not the repeat of 2016 though, Switch is still alive and kicking unlike Wii U and 3DS, which were in their deathbed. Not only I think we'll get a partner september, I also think Switch will separately get a February Direct next to the successor's full reveal event.
3DS was alive in 2016. Not the best lineup ever but it wasn't nothing.

Do you think the discourse will shift some after June Direct? As in gradually moving to mentions of games coming to successor? Wondering about that because Furukawa specifically said June Direct will make no mention of successor. But after that?

For example, BOTW was mentioned in April 2016 coming for both Wii U and "NX" (Switch name wasn't revealed at the time).
I don't fully trust Furukawa when he says they won't mention the successor at all during the June Direct, but I think it's gonna take until at least Fall for Nintendo to really start talking about the platform and its games.

As for third-parties, all bets should be off starting from SGF. I've talked to some devs who were anxious about when Nintendo was gonna acknowledge the system's existence on the basis of "But we need to start talking about our games soon!", so... that's gonna happen sooner rather than later.

They could "avoid" having a fall Direct (outside of maybe an Indie Showcase) if they would reveal Switch 2 in September.

This way they could show / announce and have thirds show / announce not only Switch 2 exclusives, but also cross-gen games they keep back on announcing due to wanting to show them the best way possible (with the Switch 2 version).
Even if Switch 2 is announced in October they don’t have to have a general in September. I think we’ll get a Partners direct in September regardless of when Switch 2 is announced

Thirds should just do the Horii and talk about their games, Switch 2 announced or not. ;D

(I hope no one does this, Horii is in a special position.)

3DS was alive in 2016. Not the best lineup ever but it wasn't nothing.
By alive I meant full third party support. Only third party supporter of 3DS back in 2016 was Atlus while right now Switch is having one of the best third party lineups in its lifetime. If we're to have a Partner Showcase, Switch should have enough third party stuff to fill it and no doubt it will.

There's no reason for next month's Direct to mention the successor, it's not relevant to games coming to Switch and bringing it up will only distract from marketing this year's games

This is kinda selfish and petty, but I'm torn between hoping the Switch 2 doesn't get shown off until winter so it doesn't overshadow a late fall Prime 4; or hoping that Switch 2 showcase precedes it by a month so the news cycle will be mostly done talking about it by the time MP4 comes along, but still have enough eyes back on Nintendo for it to benefit from that attention.

Honestly, i think they're fine hitting that goal with just MH Wilds and Resi 9 and continued sales of stuff like Dragons Dogma 2 and the likes.
And they very well could! But the thing that I do like about this era of Capcom is that they do seem to be keeping an eye on even their mid-tier/AA franchises while also introducing new, quirky IP like Kunitsu-gami, too. So, if you're Capcom, the question to ask is "why not shoot for the moon?". And we just hope Switch 2 definitely has a place within those plans.

Also, the dream for "Rockman Taisen" still lives, for now~!

I believe it's possible that just because Furukawa said there wouldn't be mention of the successor itself during the Direct, doesn't necessarily mean we won't see a game or two that end up being crossgen launch titles.

Which is why I say 👇
yall this Direct has the chance to have the hypest Columbo moment since the Smash logo in the Inkling's eye

Wouldn't shock me if they wrapped up the Spring 2025 Switch 1 games in this direct as well, because I'm not necessarily feeling that we're going to get a September one this year. I think the fall news will be some sort of reveal trailer for the new system + some smaller stuff.

This is kinda selfish and petty, but I'm torn between hoping the Switch 2 doesn't get shown off until winter so it doesn't overshadow a late fall Prime 4; or hoping that Switch 2 showcase precedes it by a month so the news cycle will be mostly done talking about it by the time MP4 comes along, but still have enough eyes back on Nintendo for it to benefit from that attention.
Why not both? Just showcase MP4 on Switch 2, it's the perfect game to showcase Switch 2's graphical capabilities.

And do that while also releasing it on Switch 1.

I believe it's possible that just because Furukawa said there wouldn't be mention of the successor itself during the Direct, doesn't necessarily mean we won't see a game or two that end up being crossgen launch titles.

Which is why I say 👇

Usually, you want to show off cross-gen games the best way possible, which definitely wouldn't be the Switch 1 version. ;D

Why not both? Just showcase MP4 on Switch 2, it's the perfect game to showcase Switch 2's graphical capabilities.

And do that while also releasing it on Switch 1.
That is fair, yeah; I'm just concerned about Metroid getting overshadowed by such a paired announcement instead of uplifted. But that may just be my annoyance at the rumor mill coloring things, and hopefully when Prime 4 is revealed it will make a big enough splash to completely invalidate thoss fears.

Doesn’t it depend on what cross gen means? Is it just the same Switch cartridge put into a Switch 2 and it won’t do anything to the game? Or is it a separate cartridge for Switch 2 with upgrades. Or the same cartridge and there will be upgrades.

I think if it’s the first option of no upgrade for some games with the same cartridge then they can show it off in the June direct. If there are upgrades I would think you’d want to wait for the Switch 2 presentation

Usually, you want to show off cross-gen games the best way possible, which definitely wouldn't be the Switch 1 version. ;D
That's not what they did with BotW though, was it? I'm sure they'd wait until they want people to know about the new hardware.

Doesn’t it depend on what cross gen means? Is it just the same Switch cartridge put into a Switch 2 and it won’t do anything to the game? Or is it a separate cartridge for Switch 2 with upgrades. Or the same cartridge and there will be upgrades.

I think if it’s the first option of no upgrade for some games with the same cartridge then they can show it off in the June direct. If there are upgrades I would think you’d want to wait for the Switch 2 presentation
That's actually a good question. In my head, "cross gen" means at minimum enhanced for Switch 2.

Whether that be in form of "enhancement" patch on top of Switch 1 binary (such a patch would have to come with NVN2 API, but the footprint is very small anyway), or a completely separate Switch 2 gamecard, I don't know. Curious what others see as fitting the definition of "cross gen".

I don't think BC alone (with no enhanced stuff happening) should be considered "cross-gen"

It's really funny (in an endearing way) that as soon as the Direct is confirmed y'all start speculating about the next one, hahaha.

Indie World in August and maaaaaybe a Partner later on is all I'd count on after this June Direct, truly. I really do not think we'll get the usual September one this time around.
Hey do you have any new update on metroid prime 4? A linkedin post 2 days ago hinted that the dev team was restructured. Possibly some people were moved to new project with prime 4 being almost done?

if BC is confirmed then it doesn’t matter.
the point of the Nintendo Direct is to market games releasing this year. Nintendo wants all the news sites to be running "here are the games releasing this year announced at the Nintendo Direct." that is directly impeded by mentioning the Switch successor because then they provide grist for everyone to talk about the thing they're selling next year instead of the games they're selling this year

if there's BC, they'll talk about it when they talk about the Switch successor. there is nothing to be gained from mentioning it next month

Would love if we got a Xenoblade X definitive edition releasing this year.

But I’m contemplating if it’ll be a Switch release or a Switch 2 NG remaster.

Like having all the Xenoblade game be on one platform is so appealing since I’ve almost done with all the games.

Could it be MP4 time? Showcase MP4 graphics on Switch 2 without mentioning we're watching the clip run on Switch 2?
Extremely unlikely, the only way I can see Prime 4 showcasing Switch 2 graphics is either by a reveal trailer or a presentation.

Also Furukawa mentioned it’ll only show games for the Switch, which mean we’ll see it running on the Switch and not NG switch.

Extremely unlikely, the only way I can see Prime 4 showcasing Switch 2 graphics is either by a reveal trailer or a presentation.

Also Furukawa mentioned it’ll only show games for the Switch, which mean we’ll see it running on the Switch and not NG switch.
I might be misremembering but I believe it was more of Furukawa specifically saying the successor won't be mentioned. Does that stop them from showing gameplay that might be running on Switch 2, without mentioning successor?

For what it's worth, have you seen Brazil's response to my question?

Not to split hairs but he didn't say this specifically. He said "there will be no mention of the Nintendo Switch successor during that presentation," but that doesn't mean some games from the succ won't be shown. Just that the system itself won't be mentioned.

I'm not saying I necessarily expect there to be 2witch games in this Direct, just that Furukawa's quote doesn't say there won't be.

honestly, the switch era has yet to have a June direct that wasn't at the very least "pretty good" (unless you don't like smash) so my lowest standards for it are "pretty good"

It's really funny (in an endearing way) that as soon as the Direct is confirmed y'all start speculating about the next one, hahaha.

Indie World in August and maaaaaybe a Partner later on is all I'd count on after this June Direct, truly. I really do not think we'll get the usual September one this time around.
no septembre Direct, why?
I don't fully trust Furukawa when he says they won't mention the successor at all during the June Direct, but I think it's gonna take until at least Fall for Nintendo to really start talking about the platform and its games.

As for third-parties, all bets should be off starting from SGF. I've talked to some devs who were anxious about when Nintendo was gonna acknowledge the system's existence on the basis of "But we need to start talking about our games soon!", so... that's gonna happen sooner rather than later.
the maximum we could expect, is Nintendo anouncing a game that is cross-gen and that all(maybe if Metroid Prime 4 is cross-gen, Nintendo will confirm that on a presentation in early 2025)

no septembre Direct, why?
The theory is that September/October will be a big 2witch presentation in place of a Direct. So new games will be shown off in that timeframe, but it won't technically be called a Direct. Think like what they did in January 2017.

the maximum we could expect, is Nintendo anouncing a game that is cross-gen and that all(maybe if Metroid Prime 4 is cross-gen, Nintendo will confirm that on a presentation in early 2025)
This is what I'm thinking, too.

honestly, the switch era has yet to have a June direct that wasn't at the very least "pretty good" (unless you don't like smash) so my lowest standards for it are "pretty good"
As much as I got hyped for "Everyone is here", that direct was peak waiting for "one last thing".

they will show the switch version and there will be a billion posts saying its drake footage, then the game will release and really look exact like the trailer and people will be surprised, it had 3 years of engine optimisation since mpr and thats already the best looking switch game

Back
Top Bottom