• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Talking about Rare era games remakes, it always surprised me that with excellent success of both Crash and 3D Mario games in 2017, Microsoft didn't respond by green lighting a Banjo duology remake for XBOne/Series. It could have been released around 2021/22 and with recent third party strategy, it would be ported (or in process) now to Switch 1/2 and PS4/5.
I believe in Nate, we will get a Banjo game for all platforms. Switch 1-2 included.

But for older games, we got the first one on NSO, we might get the remasters in a trilogy pack that includes Tooie and Nuts n Bolts. I don't think MS will do anything further for those titles, we'd be lucky just to get the new project.

Metroid Prime 4 and Silksong being in the same Direct would make it an all-timer Direct just based on that alone.
At this point I just want the constant roller coaster of hype and disappointed for every game presentation having people go "this time we see Prime 4/Silksong for sure" to end

It would have been somewhat redundant with the XBLA remasters. Those look and play perfectly fine so I am not sure remakes would have had a lot of added value (though it would be nice if they were no longer stuck on Xbox hardware).
XBLA remasters are relative old games (2008/2009) and are just plain HD up res ports. I'm talking about a full grounded remake with a massive graphics overhaul like Crash/Spyro games with a +13/14 years of difference between the old XLBA remasters.

With that line of thinking, RE4 shouldn't have got a remake as original game was already remaster in all consoles and it plays fine.

XBLA remasters are relative old games (2008/2009) and are just plain HD up res ports. I'm talking about a full grounded remake with a massive graphics overhaul like Crash/Spyro games with a +13/14 years of difference between the old XLBA remasters.

With that line of thinking, RE4 shouldn't have got a remake as original game was already remaster in all consoles and it plays fine.
While I definitely would see the appeal of remakes, I think at that point, I would prefer to just have a brand new Banjo-Kazooie game, a proper platformer.

RE4 remake makes significant changes to the original and has a far higher commercial potential than Banjo remakes. If the comparison is the Crash/Spyro remakes, then you're mostly looking at the same game with a facelift.

It is worth pointing that Advance Wars had some staff from Intelligent Systems supervising it as JazzyFuture pointed above. Likewise Samus Returns had direct involvement from people who worked on prior 2D Metroid games like Sakamoto and Hosokawa. So in a way I'd say those games fit in within what I'm talking about.
Yeah, Dinoman is 100% correct. There's clear preference at Nintendo for re-releases to either be handled at their original team, or for original staff to oversee the project:
  • Advance Wars: supervised by Intelligent Systems
  • all Zelda remasters were produced by EPD3, the Zelda team, and had EPD staff attached
  • ditto for Samus Returns, which had the Metroid staff at EPD7 in charge

(To be clear: "produced" does not mean "developed" - it's the language used to indicate who is in overall control of a Nintendo-published project)

By and large, Nintendo tap the original staff or team in some capacity. As has already been established, that includes the Another Code remakes, where the original studio was defunct but senior staff from the games were at Arc System Works. Who would produce and take charge of that hypothetical remake is an important question, because it's the board of producers at EPD who decide who does what and which things get made. Right now there's no clear advocate for Donkey Kong 64 to get remade, not least because we don't really know who will be in charge of DK as a franchise. Zelda has a clear production structure and management group at Nintendo who remain in charge of Tantalus and Grezzo's work on the franchise; DK has no equivalent.

And, as I've also said, it's not just Donkey Kong 64 missing from NSO. A whole bunch of DK franchise titles haven't made it to NSO:

• Donkey Kong Junior Maths
  • Donkey Kong Land
  • Donkey Kong Land 2
  • Donkey Kong Land 3
  • Donkey Kong (1994)
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Diddy Kong Racing (seems fair game for NSO)
  • DK: King of Swing
  • Color and Advance ports of DKC

That's quite the list. Sure, a bunch are the handheld titles, but it's bizarre that after more than a year, not one handheld DK game has made it to NSO, yet Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid even Pokemon (in the case of GB) are represented in the handheld selection on NSO. Some of those DK titles missing wouldn't be all that odd, but all of the possible handheld titles not showing up yet really is strange.

I think we might get a big DK NSO update, perhaps timed around the theme park opening. Maybe Rare's titles from the franchise: the DK land trilogy for the base tier, DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing for the Expansion Pack.

I mean, it fits what I said as well. When they can easily bring in some of the original staff, they will. You've touched on it but it needs to be clearly pointed out that 90s Donkey Kong games are a VERY specific weird area and nothing else can really fall under your theory of why Nintendo would never touch those games.
You say that preference for what gets remade is clear but that preference in this situation would be "literally anything but 90s Donkey Kong". And I just don't believe that to be the case.

You say that preference for what gets remade is clear but that preference in this situation would be "literally anything but 90s Donkey Kong". And I just don't believe that to be the case.
No, what I'm saying is Nintendo have preferred ways of working on remakes, not that they'd never touch 90s DK. I'd definitely say it looks extremely unlikely they'd remake DK64, given there's no internal advocate at the company apart from maybe Miyamoto, and given the brains behind the games at Rare have moved on to other things. Maybe Nintendo would entertain a pitch from ex-Rare staff at a different studio, which is possibly how Another Code ended up with a remake. If anything, Another Code is sort-of a good example here: the original team is unavailable but key staff are still around at another company and Nintendo own the IP. That's the situation DK is in, except it's much higher profile as an IP, and Nintendo also have easier avenues for a re-release if they want.

So I don't think it's impossible, I just think it's very unlikely. And I don't think DK64's absence from NSO tells us anything, because all those other DK titles are also missing from the service.

No, what I'm saying is Nintendo have preferred ways of working on remakes, not that they'd never touch 90s DK. I'd definitely say it looks extremely unlikely they'd remake DK64, given there's no internal advocate at the company apart from maybe Miyamoto, and given the brains behind the games at Rare have moved on to other things. Maybe Nintendo would entertain a pitch from ex-Rare staff at a different studio, which is possibly how Another Code ended up with a remake. If anything, Another Code is sort-of a good example here: the original team is unavailable but key staff are still around at another company and Nintendo own the IP. That's the situation DK is in, except it's much higher profile as an IP, and Nintendo also have easier avenues for a re-release if they want.

So I don't think it's impossible, I just think it's very unlikely. And I don't think DK64's absence from NSO tells us anything, because all those other DK titles are also missing from the service.
To clarify, I'm not saying there's currently a DK64 Remake in the works. I even argued the opposite.
I just think it's a bit silly to suggest that a Donkey Kong game that was a top seller for N64 and currently the 3rd best selling DK release ever would have less of an opportunity at a second chance than multiple niche games and series that have already had theirs just because Nintendo couldn't hand it off to the original developers. Like you said, DK is a much higher profile IP. It doesn't need someone from a previous team advocating for it like Another Code might have had. I just think they aren't interested in revamping ANY N64 games at the moment. That sentiment passed with DS and 3DS. DK64 will absolutely just be an NSO drop (if they ever do release it).

Personally, I hope Switch 2 will be for N64 games what PS4 was for PS1 games.

Last edited:
I just think it's a bit silly to suggest that a Donkey Kong game that was a top seller for N64 and currently the 3rd best selling DK release ever would have less of an opportunity at a second chance than multiple niche games and series that have already had theirs just because Nintendo couldn't hand it off to the original developers. Like you said, DK is a much higher profile IP. I doesn't need someone from a previous team advocating for it like Another Code might have had.
Sure, but my argument here would be that Another Code and smaller IP are likelier to get remakes rather than brand new entries, whereas DK is much more likely - as a proven and iconic IP - to get the resources and investment for a new entry without needing a remake to re-establish it. DK is automatically worth the higher investment and risk, even if the treatment of the series this decade has been odd to say the least.

Sure, but my argument here would be that Another Code and smaller IP are likelier to get remakes rather than brand new entries, whereas DK is much more likely - as a proven and iconic IP - to get the resources and investment for a new entry without needing a remake to re-establish it. DK is automatically worth the higher investment and risk, even if the treatment of the series this decade has been odd to say the least.
I will agree that the DK series doesn't need a soft re-introduction. But consider the fact that they completely remade Mario vs Donkey recently. I don't really feel like that was necessary, they could have just done a new game in that series and it would have sold just as good and probably even better.

Have a feeling the direct will be on the 11th, because last time Sega dropped a demo for a game, it was 2 weeks before launch, and we've seen Sega put out a demo for Monkey Ball before with Banana Blitz HD. Plus they've already made a demo build for a festival in japan a couple of weeks ago.
Or Sega could announce the demo at Summer Games Fest and the direct is actually later in the month like the past 2 years. Who knows!

Agree. If people really expect Metroid, DK, Fire Emblem, FZero, Mario Sports and some additional surprise on top of that to be show in the next direct and launch before xmas, this is a setup for disappointment.
There is for sure a chance that all these games come to Switch 1, but I heavily doubt all of them before xmas. And in that case also Switch 2 should not be expected in spring.
Fwiw, I can see all of these games get announced, with only Prime 4 being slated for 2025. As for Switch 2, I definitely expect it to come out in March at the earliest.

let's rank Prince albums:
  1. Sign O' the Times
  2. Dirty Mind
  3. Purple Rain
  4. 1999
  5. Around the World in a Day
  6. Controversy
  7. Parade
  8. Batman
  9. Lovesexy

Last edited:
You ever just consider that the next 3D Zelda has probably entered full production by now?
I kinda figured it was the case that they just focused resources on a Switch 2 Zelda when TotK planted a couple of noticeable details that would work as a DLC story like BotW had, that they just didn't elaborate on, and then just announced that there wouldn't be any DLC.

let's rank Prince albums:
  1. Sign O' the Times
  2. Dirty Mind
  3. Purple Rain
  4. 1999
  5. Controversy
  6. Parade
  7. Batman
  8. Lovesexy
If we’re just talking ‘80s run:

1. 1999
2. Purple Rain
3. Sign O’ the Times
4. Lovesexy
6. Controversy
7. Dirty Mind
8. Batman
9. Parade

If we’re just talking ‘80s run:

1. 1999
2. Purple Rain
3. Sign O’ the Times
4. Lovesexy
6. Controversy
7. Dirty Mind
8. Batman
9. Parade
Oh damn I forgot Around the World in the Day

I'd say that ends up #5 on my list too

time for some mina posting

gif-bosshouse-1643782697451_s9c1.1080.gif

Famiboards: "Nintendo H2 2024 will have Metroid Prime 4, Fire Emblem, and Zelda ports"

Nintendo: "That's an interesting way of saying Animal Crossing New Leaf HD and five more Mario games"

With Sabrina Carpenter and Rowan Blanchard sitting on the couch playing it.
If Nintendo wants to break that PS2 sales record, they should bring back those UK ads they had in the DS era where random D-list British celebrities would pretend to be really into Dragon Quest IX or Brain Training. I need to see the bloke from Repair Shop play Another Code like my life depends on it.

I'm somewhat late to talking about this but I had been thinking: Would Nintendo really push the Direct to the second half of June to not be associated with SGF? I do think it's a genuine concern, but I don't really think it's a super big deal. Geoff and his official channels will likely post about it no matter what and, out of the major showcases between the big three, I feel like the Nintendo Directs are the ones that have the largest reach to the point that a good amount of the audience that is watching isn't as knowledgeable about SGF that it wouldn't make a difference.

I could be wrong obviously and, as I mentioned, it may be a concern. Alongside this, doing it in the third week of June last year did seem to work well for them so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case again. To me, I guess it also depends if there is a shadowdrop in the Direct. I feel like no matter what, the last week of the month is probably out of question since the Thursday Luigi's Mansion 2 HD will be out and by the Wednesday U.S. Time, people would already be playing. I also do think if there is a shadowdrop, they might not want to do it a week before the Direct just because maybe that's a little too close, especially if it's MP2 and/or(?) MP3 since those likely are to do with the marketing of MP4. I do kind of feel like this makes, at least in my mind which probably isn't correct, the 12th or 13th the most likely!

We'll probably start to hear rumblings after TTYD releases this week though so I'm excited!! Speculation season is truly almost upon us!!! :)

I'm somewhat late to talking about this but I had been thinking: Would Nintendo really push the Direct to the second half of June to not be associated with SGF?
Yes, I think they would. I don't think they particularly care to be associated with SGF so I think they'll just plan their event around it. Probably sometime between it and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD. They don't want to crowd their announcements with other events I would imagine, at least now that E3 is done.

I'm somewhat late to talking about this but I had been thinking: Would Nintendo really push the Direct to the second half of June to not be associated with SGF? I do think it's a genuine concern, but I don't really think it's a super big deal. Geoff and his official channels will likely post about it no matter what and, out of the major showcases between the big three, I feel like the Nintendo Directs are the ones that have the largest reach to the point that a good amount of the audience that is watching isn't as knowledgeable about SGF that it wouldn't make a difference.

I could be wrong obviously and, as I mentioned, it may be a concern. Alongside this, doing it in the third week of June last year did seem to work well for them so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case again. To me, I guess it also depends if there is a shadowdrop in the Direct. I feel like no matter what, the last week of the month is probably out of question since the Thursday Luigi's Mansion 2 HD will be out and by the Wednesday U.S. Time, people would already be playing. I also do think if there is a shadowdrop, they might not want to do it a week before the Direct just because maybe that's a little too close, especially if it's MP2 and/or(?) MP3 since those likely are to do with the marketing of MP4. I do kind of feel like this makes, at least in my mind which probably isn't correct, the 12th or 13th the most likely!

We'll probably start to hear rumblings after TTYD releases this week though so I'm excited!! Speculation season is truly almost upon us!!! :)
SGF is on the 7th, so any time after that is fair game. I don't think anyone was expecting it during the first week of June anyways. I'm kinda hoping for the 19th personally, it's the day after I get back from Toronto so I can watch it while getting over my jetlag.

Last edited:

I think Nintendo doesn't particularly want their show associated with Keighley/SGF, but more broadly I think they want to be reasonably sure they'll be commanding the headlines rather than sharing a stage with other companies' news dumps

Early June is already pretty front-loaded (SGF on the 7th, Xbox on the 9th, Ubisoft on the 10th), so I could see Nintendo giving all of that some ample breathing room and waiting for the news cycle to run its course on those announcements before doing their own thing

I am genuinely curious as to why people are expecting a New Leaf HD Remaster? A new game is about to come in a year to three. Wouldn’t a NLHD sabotage possible sales?
It's mostly a joke request because how a decent number of people find new horizon to be a step back from new leaf

I am genuinely curious as to why people are expecting a New Leaf HD Remaster? A new game is about to come in a year to three. Wouldn’t a NLHD sabotage possible sales?
Not that I think it's going to happen, but I don't think it would sabotage an entry on a new system. Say Luigi's Mansion 4 releases next year for the Switch 2, I don't think Luigi's Mansion 2 HD would affect those sales either.

Not that I think it's going to happen, but I don't think it would sabotage an entry on a new system. Say Luigi's Mansion 4 releases next year for the Switch 2, I don't think Luigi's Mansion 2 HD would affect those sales either.
I do think Animal Crossing is a bit of a different situation, because it's a game that you are meant to play for a long time, at least a year or more.

"I believe in Nate, we will get a Banjo game for all platforms. Switch 1-2 included."

But for older games, we got the first one on NSO, we might get the remasters in a trilogy pack that includes Tooie and Nuts n Bolts. I don't think MS will do anything further for those titles, we'd be lucky just to get the new project.
When did Nate say this?

All he said as of recent is the game is being reworked into something better. Idk what the blue fuck that means, but hopfully it means we'll get a new Platformer.

When did Nate say this?

All he said as of recent is the game is being reworked into something better. Idk what the blue fuck that means, but hopfully it means we'll get a new Platformer.
lol Nate didn't say this, I just said I believe in Nate there, that's all. He just said a Banjo game was greenlit, nothing more.

unironically my biggest hope for this direct is a new tomodachi life, not because I'll get it, but because I know my favourite streamer will play it

I do think Animal Crossing is a bit of a different situation, because it's a game that you are meant to play for a long time, at least a year or more.
So was Splatoon, but that got two Switch entries. A second new game on Switch isn't happening, but I can see a port or remaster of an older game.

I am a little surprised Nintendo haven't done anything with Animal Crossing since the expansion for New Horizons. They followed New Leaf up with Happy Home Designer, Amiibo Festival and Pocket Camp. Happy Home Paradise is essentially a swap for Happy Home Designer, really, but no spinoff has surprised me. If they were going for a remaster or remake, I'd prefer a version of the original game for the sake of difference.

As for Luigi's Mansion 2HD... there's a possibility that's happening now because Luigi's Mansion 4 isn't necessarily imminent. Maybe Next Level are doing something else for new hardware first.

Back
Top Bottom