• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Let’s stop dogpiling another member New
Hey let’s all stop dogpiling on a member who already served a ban for their prior behavior. Direct threads are supposed to be fun event threads. If you disagree with someone here, feel free to put them on ignore.

-xghost777, Tangerine Cookie, meatbag, Dardan Sandiego, BassForever

I honestly have zero clue how you took offense to that, browneyes84 wasn't even directly calling you childish.

On the topic of the thread though, this year feels really slow so far when it comes Nintendo news and product releases.
I get that we're only in April, but I'm honestly impressed we haven't already gotten a general Nintendo Direct by this point, like, what could they be cooking if it's not the Switch Successor?
I think the most plausible feeling speculation (to me, imo, please don't yell at me fami) is that this was the Switch 2 launch year, it no longer is, and it's taking them a minute to firm up what Plan B is

I'd know we'd like to believe that if Switch 2 isn't coming then instead there'll be a lineup of exciting and hype games that they're taking their time to announce. But I think this wasn't the initial plan, they didn't expect Switch 2 to be 2025, and they can't exactly magically conjure up a slate of Switch 1 games out of nowhere.

That's not me trying to be negative, and I'm not saying nintendoomed or anything. But I do think that when the rest of 2024's lineup is announced it might be lower key, less broadly hyped titles. (Which could very well be good games that sell well, again, please don't get mad at me)

I think the most plausible feeling speculation (to me, imo, please don't yell at me fami) is that this was the Switch 2 launch year, it no longer is, and it's taking them a minute to firm up what Plan B is

I'd know we'd like to believe that if Switch 2 isn't coming then instead there'll be a lineup of exciting and hype games that they're taking their time to announce. But I think this wasn't the initial plan, they didn't expect Switch 2 to be 2025, and they can't exactly magically conjure up a slate of Switch 1 games out of nowhere.

That's not me trying to be negative, and I'm not saying nintendoomed or anything. But I do think that when the rest of 2024's lineup is announced it might be lower key, less broadly hyped titles. (Which could very well be good games that sell well, again, please don't get mad at me)
they for sure had Plan B - Launch in 2025 - always as an option and with it a plan for software for 2024. I agree, you cannot expect a Mario Wonder or TOTK type of release. But you can expect a first party title every month for september until november. You can expect these to be announced in a summer direct as in previous years. You may feel this year H1 is a letdown so far as it is heavy in niche titles and ports. All I can say is that they still gave a monthly release - as usual - and on top of that will release the most wanted Gamecube game in a month.
I understand the disappointment, but from Nintendo's perspective, they still deliver and also sell.

they for sure had Plan B - Launch in 2025 - always as an option and with it a plan for software for 2024. I agree, you cannot expect a Mario Wonder or TOTK type of release. But you can expect a first party title every month for september until november. You can expect these to be announced in a summer direct as in previous years. You may feel this year H1 is a letdown so far as it is heavy in niche titles and ports. All I can say is that they still gave a monthly release - as usual - and on top of that will release the most wanted Gamecube game in a month.
I understand the disappointment, but from Nintendo's perspective, they still deliver and also sell.
Super Devon's initial point, to which I was responding, is that this year feels slow for Nintendo news. My suggestion for why that is is that Nintendo didn't have a solid, ready to go backup plan in case of a delay that they could smoothly swap to marketing.

If you think they do have a solid, confident Plan B, why are they not talking about it yet? If you're answer is "they'll announce games for September to November in June, and then talk about Switch 2 later", then that is what I meant by "it might be lower key, less broadly hyped titles". We'll never know if that marketing strategy was planned months ago, or if it's being planned right now.

I never said they wouldn't make money this year. I tried to be super clear in my post that just because I think they're putting together a new marketing plan right now and that means they're quite but that I didn't think they were in trouble financially or anything. So it's pretty frustrating to get "they're going to sell well stop being mad at Nintendo" when all I'm doing is trying to fairly neutrally suggest an explanation for a change in marketing strategy.

I think Nintendo always planned to have Switch titles this holiday and one of them will be something with 5 to 10 million, mainstream selling appeal.

The current 'lack of news' feels that way if you're hyper plugged into the Internet, but the release schedule is set up to the end of June. It's a bit boring, but they've got plenty of time to set out plans for later this year. The only major question mark for me, really, is July.

Nintendo could pull out all the stops for ports and throw Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Wooly World, Prime 2+3, and Xenoblade X at us and it'd probably end up being a banger of a year, especially if Prime 4 ends up being the big holiday game.

Like Prime 4 could literally be the reward for getting through Old Shit Year.

I do hope the final Switch only direct goes out with a bang.
What if it already did

26b47a184c13c4e7ebbe173c30e59366199ee50f.gifv

Might as well share a hot take that has nothing to do with video games or Nintendo Directs while we wait for the next couple of months:

I think "He Lives in You" from The Lion King 2 is a superior song to "Circle of Life" from The Lion King.

Might as well share a hot take that has nothing to do with video games or Nintendo Directs while we wait for the next couple of months:

I think "He Lives in You" from The Lion King 2 is a superior song to "Circle of Life" from The Lion King.

Yes.

It's originally from the Broadway Lion King musical, btw, so that's why it's so quality.

I think when Nintendo isn't doing Directs, they should have a livestream going on their Twitch that is like those 24/7 camera videos where people show footage of their fishtanks or puppies, but instead it is footage of a garden and every so often Pikmin come out and do funny stuff.

we would pick a decade we wished we could live in instead of this
i’d say the 2010s but without all the nintendo direct skits
The nintendo direct skits were one of my favorite things about the 2010s

Plus if we go early enough in the decade I'd still have my car

2010s has my vote!

June is the traditional Direct month but that does not sit well for July - August first party announcements. Can Nintendo really reveal a major game just ONE month before its release? Hell, June is even too close for a September release, I think.

June is the traditional Direct month but that does not sit well for July - August first party announcements. Can Nintendo really reveal a major game just ONE month before its release? Hell, June is even too close for a September release, I think.

Does it have to be major or can be something like a Kirby Epic's Yarn ISO dump.

Let's see some of Nintendo's shortest reveal-to-release games in the Switch era

Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 2 weeks
Bayonetta 1+2 - 10 weeks
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 10 weeks
Hyrule Warriors: Definitve Edition - 10 weeks for Japan, 18 weeks for US/EU
Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 12 weeks
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 16 weeks
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 18 weeks
Fire Emblem Engage - 18 weeks
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes - 19 weeks

If they held the Direct on Wednesday, June 5, a July 25 release would only be 6 weeks away, possibly ruling out a July release unless we are talking a remaster like the Zeldas or Metroids
An August 22 release would already 10 weeks away, once again only a port or a remaster seems suitable
September 19 and onwards at 14 weeks I'd say is more or less in line with other short reveal-to-release non-port announcements they've made

Bayonetta 1+2 - 10 weeks

If they held the Direct on Wednesday, June 5, a July 25 release would only be 6 weeks away, possibly ruling out a July release unless we are talking a remaster like the Zeldas or Metroids
An August 22 release would already 10 weeks away, once again only a port or a remaster seems suitable
September 19 and onwards at 14 weeks I'd say is more or less in line with other short reveal-to-release non-port announcements they've made
not sure if there's a specific reason you didn't include them but Pikmin 1+2 was shadowdropped digitally, as was Metroid Prime

not sure if there's a specific reason you didn't include them but Pikmin 1+2 was shadowdropped digitally, as was Metroid Prime
Not germane to the scenario being considered, which is "could a June Direct announce games releasing in July?" A shadowdrop would only come into play if we believe the Direct won't be until July.

Not germane to the scenario being considered, which is "could a June Direct announce games releasing in July?" A shadowdrop would only come into play if we believe the Direct won't be until July.
ah yep, there it is

wasn't being snide I genuinely figured there was something I was missing lol

So are we feeling early June, mid-June, late June?
May 7th week (though it’s like 95% May 7th if then), post TTYD May, or early June. I’m still feeling best about May 7th week. July onwards needs first and third party games dated and we are getting close. This could change if they Twitter reveal a game.

May 7th week (though it’s like 95% May 7th if then), post TTYD May, or early June. I’m still feeling best about May 7th week. July onwards needs first and third party games dated and we are getting close. This could change if they Twitter reveal a game.
My birthday is in that week (May 10th) so I'd be very happy with that.

I'm still thinking there's a chance the successor gets some sort of teaser announcement alongside the IR in a few weeks followed by a full reveal in the summer and launch in March

Bayonetta 1+2 - 10 weeks

You forgot Everybody 1, 2 Switch, which was revealed at the start of June and released at the end of it (4 weeks).

If we don't get a direct this coming week then I think it's June for the next one and that will be the final Switch 1 dedicated direct. I just don't think they'll do it in May with Paper Mario coming out.

If the July released game a smaller game like Kirby's Dream Buffet, it should be announced in the June Direct.
Vanpool did those small Kirby games and now they're gone. But some other small stuff should be possible, like Intelligent Systems can bring Pushmo back anytime. Maybe as a new entry or a collection.

I'm still thinking there's a chance the successor gets some sort of teaser announcement alongside the IR in a few weeks followed by a full reveal in the summer and launch in March
I feel like we are getting a very dull, “a new console is in development and is aiming to release in March” message and that’s it. Then we’ll get an actual reveal in October like the Switch 1 for a quick turnaround.

The trailer will start with somebody playing docked (boring) just like the Switch trailer. Then they stand up, get the Switch2 out of the dock... then open it up!! It's dual screen!!! On their way to a picknick they stop, oh wow I got a streetpass. At the picknick everyone is, naturally, playing Mario Kart together. From then on we see the friends going home, getting streetpasses, sharing activity log data and talking trash on the updated phone app with chat function.

At home they are all playing different games. One person Dragon Quest XII, one is grinding Mario Kart with ghost data because they're a salty baby, one person is playing new märio, one is a parent and playing a new partygame with the family, one is hiding from their family that they're a xenoblade fan etc etc

Back
Top Bottom