• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

For the sake of maximum chaos in this thread, the best sequence of events would be:

• May 7th: fiscal briefing includes a text statement confirming a new console this fiscal year. Nintendo also confirms the return of Nintendo Selects, available from June 1st onwards as digital-only discounts for NSO subscribers.
  • May 14th: Nintendo announce Art Academy: Master Class from EPD4 and indieszero, launching July 25th globally.
  • June 5th: Pokemon Presents drops, showing the first in-game footage of Pokemon Legends ZA and announces a release window of autumn/fall 2025. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Darkness also announced, launching August 22nd 2024.
  • July 3rd: Nintendo Direct finally happens.

July Direct confirms Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War remake for September, Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Sports Megamix for October, and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Adventure for November.

Please understand.

civil-war-plemons.jpg

"Ok… what kind of Nintendo fan are you?"

Phase two of the thread is locked and loaded for May 1st, assuming we don't get a Direct announcement before then. If we do though, celebration and I'll just post what I was going to post behind a spoiler tag after the announcement.

Also….thank God for TTYD cause if that wasn’t releasing this would easily be the worst first half of any Switch year
I think it’s at least better than 2019’s lineup of EXCLUSIVELY:
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions Port
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Port
  • Yoshi’s Crafted Island
  • Super Mario Maker 2 at the very very end of H1

The only difference is that we had a February Direct to let us know what the rest of the year would have, like Fire Emblem Three Houses, Link’s Awakening, and Astral Chain.

Last edited:
I think it’s at least better than 2019’s lineup of EXCLUSIVELY:
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions Port
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Port
  • Yoshi’s Crafted Island
  • Super Mario Maker 2 at the very very end of H1

The only difference is that we had a February Direct to let us know what the rest of the year would have, like Fire Emblem Three Houses, Link’s Awakening, and Astral Chain.
Tokyo Mirage Session was a 2020 game.

I feel like we are getting a very dull, “a new console is in development and is aiming to release in March” message and that’s it. Then we’ll get an actual reveal in October like the Switch 1 for a quick turnaround.
While this is certainly very dull, them simply acknowledging it exists and any kind of timeframe will make me do a little happy dance. I’ll take what I can get.

I feel like we are getting a very dull, “a new console is in development and is aiming to release in March” message and that’s it. Then we’ll get an actual reveal in October like the Switch 1 for a quick turnaround.
We'll get a dull announcement like you're saying soon but a January reveal.

This is the year of total radio silence

We'll get a dull announcement like you're saying soon but a January reveal.

This is the year of total radio silence
If the console is launching in March then you don’t wait until two months beforehand to say literally anything about it. There will be a trailer or showcase or something that happens before that if that’s the timeline.

I'm expecting the blowout to be in place of the September Direct this time around.

They could get away with waiting it out last time because the big game the console was launching with was also releasing on old hardware. If its launching with the next 3D Mario, they aren't holding out until January to reveal it.

June is the traditional Direct month but that does not sit well for July - August first party announcements. Can Nintendo really reveal a major game just ONE month before its release? Hell, June is even too close for a September release, I think.

Maybe there won't be a Nintendo game in July?

I hope Nintendo announces Vending Machine Destruction Simulator at the next Direct. I just lost like $3 to one and I need something to channel my seething into smh!

RIP gummy bears 😭

We should disable registration until we‘ve found all the infiltrators and eliminated them. Then new members have to fill out a quiz which only Nintendo fans can solve.
Suggestion: lock new users in a dark room, and make them list the games that appeared in a randomly selected Nintendo Direct. Games must be listed in order of appearance.

If they succeed, they are in. If they don't, they will be forced to play Urban Champion for 300 hours or play The Lost Levels while blindfolded until they are able to beat it.

Something as been on my mind for a few days now:
Is it normal for Nintendo to unpin the Indie world presentation from Twitter a day after it aired? Usually presentations stay pinned for a good few weeks, sometimes up until the next big news is announced IIRC.

civil-war-plemons.jpg

"Ok… what kind of Nintendo fan are you?"

In 2008 i talked 5 of my Friends out of buying a PS3 an gofor a Nintendo Wii Instead.
We played hundreds of hours of Monster Hunter Tri,Mario Kart Wii
and over 800 hours alone of Call of Duty: Black Ops & Modern Warfare on
Nintendo Wii. We still are Friends and waiting for the New Nintendo Console.

We should disable registration until we‘ve found all the infiltrators and eliminated them. Then new members have to fill out a quiz which only Nintendo fans can solve.
The quiz is just one question:

Is Nintendo doomed?

(non-fans will answer no, assuming it's the answer Famiboards wants. but true Nintendo fans will know the real answer.)

Something as been on my mind for a few days now:
Is it normal for Nintendo to unpin the Indie world presentation from Twitter a day after it aired? Usually presentations stay pinned for a good few weeks, sometimes up until the next big news is announced IIRC.
I hope the patterns don’t betray us again. If they do, we can only trust the process.

If there's no Metroid Prime 4 in the next General Direct, I'll have to produce a 4K remaster of all Dingo Pictures cartoons.

And then you'll all be forced to watch it.
64 times in a row.
In FRENCH.

So you better contact Retro Studios now, or else...
wabuu-dingo-pictures.gif

If there's no Metroid Prime 4 in the next General Direct, I'll have to produce a 4K remaster of all Dingo Pictures cartoons.

And then you'll all be forced to watch it.
64 times in a row.
In FRENCH.

So you better contact Retro Studios now, or else...
wabuu-dingo-pictures.gif
…we‘ll have to pay for it, both metaphorically and literally.

If the console is launching in March then you don’t wait until two months beforehand to say literally anything about it. There will be a trailer or showcase or something that happens before that if that’s the timeline.
Probably a trailer like the October 2016 one to reveal the design/gimmick of the console. But we're not hearing anything in-depth or about the games until January 2025. In otherwords,

R A D I O S I L E N C E

Nintendo is a conservative company who are scared of new hardware launches. They probably try to match the Switch 1's plan to a tee now after the delay out of 2024 allows them to.

Probably a trailer like the October 2016 one to reveal the design/gimmick of the console. But we're not hearing anything in-depth or about the games until January 2025. In otherwords,

R A D I O S I L E N C E

Nintendo is a conservative company who are scared of new hardware launches. They probably try to match the Switch 1's plan to a tee now after the delay out of 2024 allows them to.

The Switch 1 had no third-party games to promote as launch window titles because the WiiU was a massive catastrophe.

This will not be the case at all for the Switch 2.

The Switch 1's main launch games were also BotW (promoted heavily at e3 2016) and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (released April 2014), they will need to promote the launch titles much more.

It's possible (likely?) that the launch title is Pokemon ZA, but the power gap between the two systems should be so large to make it disadvantageous for TPC to show the Switch 1 version at all during general presentations.

So they're going to show Switch 2 games earlier and more in-depth than they did with Switch 1 titles.

R A D I O S I L E N C E

There will not be a 2 month reveal-to-release period for the next 3D Mario

Their strategy in oct 2016 and jan 2017 was very successful, but I am still not convinced that they will repeat this. Back then, they had no expectations on their current home console to sell during xmas and so it was worth getting the marketing going for people to save some of their xmas money for march.
This time they have a situation where there is still plenty of hardware being sold and also some new first party releases can be expected. In short, their situation is completely different from back then. So what we are currently seeing is that H1 games are being marketed in H1 (apparently lack of news to some). H2 games will be marketed in H2. Then comes xmas, the most profitable time of the year. Their new hardware can still be revealed in the new calender year and launch in the next fiscal year - hopefully in the beginning. They decided to launch in 2025 for a reason. Now this reason can be - as some suggested - that things are unfinished and they need more time. Or they simply have things (almost) ready and want to milk the most out of the current hardware and its 140+ million userbase. My gut feeling somehow tells me we're dealing with a scenario where the current scheduling is determined by strong sales and there is no chaos whatsoever happening at Nintendos offices.

The Switch 1 had no third-party games to promote as launch window titles because the WiiU was a massive catastrophe.

This will not be the case at all for the Switch 2.

The Switch 1's main launch games were also BotW (promoted heavily at e3 2016) and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (released April 2014), they will need to promote the launch titles much more.

It's possible (likely?) that the launch title is Pokemon ZA, but the power gap between the two systems should be so large to make it disadvantageous for TPC to show the Switch 1 version at all during general presentations.

So they're going to show Switch 2 games earlier and more in-depth than they did with Switch 1 titles.
Nintendo loves short turnaround times between announcement and release. They've proven they're more than fine with 2-3 month windows for games. There being more 3rd party games existing doesn't change anything about it it this, they're beholden to Nintendo's cadence.

Well Pokemon ZA is a Gamefreak game so it isn't going to be able to showcase the system's power anyway.

Back
Top Bottom