• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Switch is old. I know some of you guys don't want to move on but some people do. Should have been a Pro console years ago or a successor by like year 5 or 6 at the latest. Sometimes you got to let go and move on. Either way, Switch is in it's 8th year of life and Nintendo has still yet to even confirm it's existence. I stand by my words. Off to a boring start this year so far for Nintendo fans. That being said, I suspect things will begin to pick up as we move towards summer or at least I hope they do.
I dunno. We've got quality games like Prince of Persia, Unicorn Overlord and Balatro which run on 60fps on Switch. Look at Dragon's Dogma 2 on the latest platforms- it runs like shit, 20fps at times.

Yup - isn't LM2HD release in June?

I know a month might not seem much, but in your example, there'a Direct a month before Pikmin 4's release date. I don't think we'll have to wait until June, the same month as LM2HD release date, for the next DIrect.

yeah, maybe we could have a direct in late may?

Nintendo is always unpredictable but this year with next gen coming “soon” will be harder to guess their marketing pipeline imho, especially without knowing the exact timing of switch 2 release :’D

Final week of March. Let’s go indie!!!
tenor.gif

necro hasn't been proven to be a reliable source yet

Ha ? I think Necro is often right about the Nintendo Direct date.

Switch is old. I know some of you guys don't want to move on but some people do. Should have been a Pro console years ago or a successor by like year 5 or 6 at the latest. Sometimes you got to let go and move on. Either way, Switch is in it's 8th year of life and Nintendo has still yet to even confirm it's existence. I stand by my words. Off to a boring start this year so far for Nintendo fans. That being said, I suspect things will begin to pick up as we move towards summer or at least I hope they do.

When I see the quality of Nintendo games released over the last 3-4 years, I wouldn't mind continuing with my Switchi for another 2 years ! :D

The first half of 2024 is very enjoyable, with a few risks : Another Code Recollection, Princess Peach Showtime and Endless Ocean Luminous.

Nintendo isn't just about Zelda and Mario, but also about small licenses. At the end of the year, in addition to Metroid Prime 4 (and Fire Emblem 4, if it really exists), I hope to see other risks. That's what's missing from Switch. With an installed base of 140+ million, now is the time to introduce Kid Icarus, Eternal Darkness, Golden Sun, or other :p

Where did necro confirm a Direct? I thought he was confirming something different (vague comment by Nashweedle about Switch 2 devkit taking dev to the next step)

I dunno. We've got quality games like Prince of Persia, Unicorn Overlord and Balatro which run on 60fps on Switch. Look at Dragon's Dogma 2 on the latest platforms- it runs like shit, 20fps at times.
Very cherry picked examples here, DD is not the norm on ps/xbox/pc and those are low tech utilization games on the Switch end

Ah, okay that was from Feb 19. I thought you were referring to Necro’s recent confirmation about something Nashweedle tweeted because you said he “just confirmed” an upcoming Direct (making it sound like pretty recent timeframe)

Last edited:
Ah, okay that was from Feb 19. I thought you were referring to Necro’s recent confirmation about something Nashweedle tweeted because you said he “just confirmed” an upcoming Direct (making it sound like pretty recent timeframe)

I don't know anything about it. What's the story ? :)

Time for this week's question!

Will we see any Microsoft game studios games in the next Nintendo Direct?
I think we could get another batch of Rare NSO games, but other than that, I don't expect anything else. Maybe a quick reminder of Grounded if the Direct is before its April 16th release, but no new announcements.

I feel like something will happen next week. Nintendo hasn’t said much of anything since Mar10 Day and the week following a release is always fair game for Directs and such (I highly doubt one happens of course, but that’s besides the point). Funnily enough, I originally penciled in the coming week as the Switch 2 reveal way back in December, seeing as how it’s the final week of the fiscal year, but yeah, no chance that happens now.

I’m setting my expectations for the next Direct to June, since we’ve already got everything dated from now till then (and let’s face it, if there was a July game, it would’ve been known and dated by now considering Nintendo likes to date up to there in February Directs), Nintendo could just come in swinging with four or five releases to fill up H2 and that’s that, we go from nothing on the schedule to plenty, as has often been the case in the last few years (see Feb 2021 & June 2021 & 2023 Directs)

I'm betting on it. The first wave coming out very quickly makes me think the second wave shouldn't be far. And those Rare games for NSO kinda feels like a "first wave" of a multiple waves planned.

I expect the other stuff Switch can run:
Age of Empires Definitive Edition
Psychonauts 1-2
Costume Quest 1-2

If we're extra lucky:
Fallout 3-New Vegas (there's something going on)
Dishonored 1-2
The Evil Within (not all of them at the same time, obviously)

I was excited when the Paper Mario/Luigi's Mansion release dates were given because that felt like the last order of business before they reveal the H2 lineup.

Anytime between April-June feels like fair game for the next direct, but I would prefer sooner rather than later since we have nothing dated past Luigi. It also feels like forever since the last time we got something substantial, because they skipped the usual general direct in February.

I'm gonna guess no. But it's not something I care about much either way, so who knows?

I think Grounded could show up again as part of a sizzle reel, depending on the timing (iirc Grounded on Switch/PS is mid-April); maybe something on NSO that retroactively has Xbox/Microsoft Game Studios listed as the publisher (would most likely be more Rare games, but maybe something from Activision/Blizzard?). Could maybe see a port of something very old (e.g. Psychonauts 1 or Fallout 3/New Vegas). Personally I don't think we get anything "big" from MS at a Nintendo event until probably a Switch 2 pre-release event that confirms things like Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves

Maybe that 10 years of Call of Duty agreement starts this year? But I kinda don't expect a Nintendo show of all places would be where they first start talking about this year's CoD; it's more of an SGF thing, I think

Catching up on the thread and I gotta say, I think everyone’s wayyyy too hopeful for an early reveal despite the rumours of a 2025 release. Unlike last time, Nintendo probably still wants to sell Switches this holiday, so for them to announce what’s in store for next year at a time where they’d normally pencil out their holiday lineup makes no sense to me. I feel like we’ll get a statement sometime in H1, but if this console is releasing past Q1 2025, then we could very easily go the entire calendar year without seeing it

Last edited:
Catching up on the thread and I gotta say, I think everyone’s wayyyy too hopeful for an early reveal despite the rumours 2025 release. Unlike last time, Nintendo probably still wants to sell Switches this holiday, so for them to announce what’s in store for next year at a time where they’d normally pencil out their holiday makes no sense to me. I feel like we’ll get a statement sometime in H1, but if this console is releasing past Q1 2025, then we could very easily go the entire calendar year without seeing it
And thus the cycle begins anew 🤣
not a dig against you, just chuckling because every year so far has had the "Nintendo won't announce this year because it'll tank holiday sales" stage

Catching up on the thread and I gotta say, I think everyone’s wayyyy too hopeful for an early reveal despite the rumours of a 2025 release. Unlike last time, Nintendo probably still wants to sell Switches this holiday, so for them to announce what’s in store for next year at a time where they’d normally pencil out their holiday lineup makes no sense to me. I feel like we’ll get a statement sometime in H1, but if this console is releasing past Q1 2025, then we could very easily go the entire calendar year without seeing it

This, with a Q1 release we could maybe see a reveal in September and a games showcase in January. With a Q2 release we could wait till the new year even for the console announcement.

I'm going to say something ultra crazy. I still have hope for 2024. June reveal, November release. Yes I know that everyone keeps saying 2025, but everyone used to say about the switch pro as well. We were 100% sure, remember?
Team 2024 still lives god damnit!

And thus the cycle begins anew 🤣
not a dig against you, just chuckling because every year so far has had the "Nintendo won't announce this year because it'll tank holiday sales" stage
IMO that argument makes sense IF the new system is coming out in the fall - like we thought it was going to this year. Especially since it would be in the following fiscal year to that holiday season, they'd want to wrap up the holidays and mostly finish the fiscal year before they started talking about the new system (like they were apparently going to do in March).

Now, though, that argument doesn't really hold water - if Switch 2 is coming out before the end of the fiscal year (so before April 2025), then at the investor meeting on May 7th:

A) They have to forecast numbers for the year's sales that will include Switch 2
B) Investors are going to be very anxious about Switch 2 given the delay rumors and want to know it's still happening soon
C) There are currently zero games coming after June 2024, which is another big red flag for investors

Of course they could have a General Direct in April like is rumored and that would solve point C, but that alone does nothing about A and B.

Essentially like Nate said in his latest podcast, I will be shocked if Nintendo doesn't at least briefly mention something about Switch 2 on or before the investor meeting on May 7th. If they go into that meeting with nothing but the usual vague non-answers, investors are going to be very unhappy and stock prices are going to drop hard. Because at that point you're essentially telling investors that you have nothing big and no real reason to stay invested in the company for at least an entire year. The time is now - even if it's just a quick PR "We are working on the successor to the Nintendo Switch for release by the end of the fiscal year and will have more details to share at a later date."

IMO that argument makes sense IF the new system is coming out in the fall - like we thought it was going to this year. Especially since it would be in the following fiscal year to that holiday season, they'd want to wrap up the holidays and mostly finish the fiscal year before they started talking about the new system (like they were apparently going to do in March).

Now, though, that argument doesn't really hold water - if Switch 2 is coming out before the end of the fiscal year (so before April 2025), then at the investor meeting on May 7th:

A) They have to forecast numbers for the year's sales that will include Switch 2
B) Investors are going to be very anxious about Switch 2 given the delay rumors and want to know it's still happening soon
C) There are currently zero games coming after June 2024, which is another big red flag for investors

Of course they could have a General Direct in April like is rumored and that would solve point C, but that alone does nothing about A and B.

Essentially like Nate said in his latest podcast, I will be shocked if Nintendo doesn't at least briefly mention something about Switch 2 on or before the investor meeting on May 7th. If they go into that meeting with nothing but the usual vague non-answers, investors are going to be very unhappy and stock prices are going to drop hard. Because at that point you're essentially telling investors that you have nothing big and no real reason to stay invested in the company for at least an entire year. The time is now - even if it's just a quick PR "We are working on the successor to the Nintendo Switch for release by the end of the fiscal year and will have more details to share at a later date."
Oh yeah, if it's releasing in Fall 2025 then I don't expect to hear about it this year. I get that. I just think the patterns are amusing, is all 😅 Especially since it was just a few weeks ago that we were still in "okay holidays are over, now they can talk about Switch 2" mode.

Oh yeah, if it's releasing in Fall 2025 then I don't expect to hear about it this year. I get that. I just think the patterns are amusing, is all 😅 Especially since it was just a few weeks ago that we were still in "okay holidays are over, now they can talk about Switch 2" mode.
Yeah if it's later than Q1 2025 then all bets are off - but assuming that pre-April 2025 is still the plan, then I think we'll be hearing about it very soon.

I don't know anything about it. What's the story ? :)

Nashweedle tweeted something about Switch 2 devkits “taking devs a step further” which lol is incredibly vague :) impossible to verify after the fact, it could mean anything and everything

Someone tagged Necro in the hardware thread, asking if tweet is true. Necro said yes he can attest to it. I interpret it as something Necro would actually know whereas in Nashweedles case he’s just saying random things.

Nashweedle, not too long afterwards, also said shh shh something Switch 2 next week. Someone in hardware thread later said Nate and Necro confirmed that, Nate (and I think Necro also) responded by saying they never said or heard any such thing about Switch 2 something next week

Theorically any XBOne base game can possible be downgraded to fit Switch HW, except GaaS like Sea of Thieves.

So I would say maybe some of these can be ported sooner:

Age of Empires II/III Definitive Edition
Gears Tactics
Battletoads
State of Decay 2
As Dusk Falls
Sunset Overdrive
Psychonauts 1-2

Theorically any XBOne base game can possible be downgraded to fit Switch HW, except GaaS like Sea of Thieves.

Gears Tactics
Battletoads
State of Decay 2
As Dusk Falls
Sunset Overdrive
Psychonauts 1-2
The fact that none of the Psychonauts games are on Switch feels like a huge miss to me. I know "it's perfect for Switch" is a tired phrase but I genuinely feel it is 🤣

Gears Tactics
Battletoads
State of Decay 2
As Dusk Falls
Sunset Overdrive
Psychonauts 1-2
you know, if psychonauts came out on the switch, I would gladly double dip! Having those games portable sounds fantastic.

Nintendo made some big effort for Nintendo 3DS in 2016, including releasing its biggest launch ever which was also it's third best selling game in Pokémon Sun and Moon.

We have even a 2025 Switch game announced already, so they're definitely comfortable in releasing big stuff for Switch even after the Switch 2 comes out.

I highly doubt this year will be as dire as people are expecting. They'll definitely want to sell a ton of software in the holiday season, which will be less than they would initially because the big Switch 2 exclusive(3D Mario probably) isn't coming anymore. They aren't saving everything for Switch 2 not they need to.

I mean they can definitely release a new Mario Party for Switch this year and then release an exclusive one for Switch 2 on holiday 2026 and that'll be the same timeframe Switch had, with the difference that the one they release this year will be playable on the Switch 2 anyways.

I'm just wondering when it'll be. Currently leaning toward April ~10th, but that's probably just me hoping it's earlier rather than later

Yeah, I'd say within the first two weeks. Unless I'm talking out of my ass, they tend to happen very early in the month (at least the generals).

The next Direct will be happening on April 8th at 11 am PDT.

So every Nintendo fan in North America trying to catch the solar eclipse will have to decide between a Direct or a once in a lifetime opportunity, while every Nintendo fan in eastern Asia and Oceania will have to stay up past midnight and catch it.

The next Direct will be happening on April 8th at 11 am PDT.

So every Nintendo fan in North America trying to catch the solar eclipse will have to decide between a Direct or a once in a lifetime opportunity, while every Nintendo fan in eastern Asia and Oceania will have to stay up past midnight and catch it.
It'll likely be cloudy here, so I'm picking the Direct.

I do have a feeling that if there is a Direct in the next 20-ish days, we'll probably begin to hear murmurs about it this week - probably accelerated if there's also an Indie World!!

I do have a feeling that if there is a Direct in the next 20-ish days, we'll probably begin to hear murmurs about it this week - probably accelerated if there's also an Indie World!!
We don't usually hear mumurs of a direct that early, but I do want to live in hope.

My guess is that we'll likely get a Direct towards the first half of the month, especially if there's a shadow-drop release that'll get a physical later in the month like Prime Remastered to avoid Endless Ocean and Paper Mario in May. I'm not too sure though.

Please let’s us FINALLY see Metroid Prime 4 and/or the new DK game next month. Prime 4 has gone longer than any Nintendo game in history from announcement to seeing the game.
Can’t believe of all franchise for this to happen to, it’s my favourite one. This has been a test of endurance, strength, and patience.

Those who have waited for Prime 4 will emerge as champions on the other side.

Back
Top Bottom