• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Personally I can't wait for the Switch reveal thread 2.0. Lots of complaints and DOA Doom posting /s
This but unironically. NeoGAF said the Wii U was going to be Nintendo's best console yet to take the world by storm at its reveal, and GAF was convinced Switch would be a total bomb at its teaser trailer in 2016.

Can't wait for everyone (myself included) to decry all the negatives surrounding this new console until launch when it suddenly sells eighty gajillion units in its first weekend.

This but unironically. NeoGAF said the Wii U was going to be Nintendo's best console yet to take the world by storm at its reveal, and GAF was convinced Switch would be a total bomb at its teaser trailer in 2016.

Can't wait for everyone (myself included) to decry all the negatives surrounding this new console until launch when it suddenly sells eighty gajillion units in its first weekend.
In theory the Wii U concept is great and was a pretty special idea back then. It should've worked. Nintendo just botched it.

In theory the Wii U concept is great and was a pretty special idea back then. It should've worked. Nintendo just botched it.
Oh absolutely, and I still love my little console even if I am unlikely to revisit its unported exclusives in the near future, but man it was a rough time to be a Nintendo-only gamer then especially the way it was hyped up with WUST until it all came crashing down lol

It's in theory a good idea, maybe, I'm not sure I'd call it great since in practice it didn't work and even Nintendo had minimal real software ideas. It was like the antithesis of the Wii despite the name, where you could play wii sports for a minute and get why motion controls were going to become a mainstream thing instantly, the same way the analogue stick did with say, Mario 64. I'm honestly not sure there was an actual way to make the 2 separate screens in the tv/tablet form work in a way that wasn't already done significantly better and cheaper by the DS line (and even then, the 3DS arguably suffered from the two screens having one clearly defined as the primary screen relegating the more inventive uses of the two screen setup to a far smaller number of titles).

If you take it as wanting to make the switch, it honestly seems like it would have been better to sit on the wii motion plus for a bit longer in order to double down on just motion controls and make a more traditional TV console, but now in HD, even if it was just as the interim between the desired final step of getting ot the switch.

But then, hindsight is 20:20

I think back to the immediate reactions from the January 2017 show. You want to talk about going to extremes with the doom posting... .WOW

IMO, the biggest issue with the Wii-U concept is that it prioritized one person over other players. Only one person could use the gamepad at any time. The Wii-U didn't allow for two people to their own GamePad on the same system at the same time. That creates conflict in the living room when kids have to fight over the controller. One kid holding the big fancy controller while the others are holding old, boring Wii-remotes isn't going to look attractive.

There was potential with the concept, I agree. It was still very flawed.

I think back to the immediate reactions from the January 2017 show. You want to talk about going to extremes with the doom posting... .WOW
The reactions to Kimishima saying he expected the Switch to outsell the Wii in its lifetime are hilarious in hindsight.

People had absolutely zero hope for the Switch.

I mean contextually the Wii U was coming off of the success of the Wii, while the Switch was coming off of the massive failure of the Wii U. There being optimism in the former scenario and pessimism in the latter isn't really weird. Even if I would argue the Wii U was always an obviously flawed concept from the start, while the Switch's appeal was fairly clear.

I'm honestly not sure there was an actual way to make the 2 separate screens in the tv/tablet form work in a way that wasn't already done significantly better and cheaper by the DS line
This is actually one of the things I loved about it tbh, it was like Nintendo just tried to bring the DS concept into a tv-connected console. Not for creative use of the screens or asymmetrical play or whatever, but just the DS-style two screens where play could be on one and the menu or any supplemental stuff could be on the other. Especially in games that rely heavily on maps!! My god!! It is such a weird little headache for me to play modern Metroidvanias and be constantly, constantly hitting a button to freeze play and pull up the map so I can keep it in my head where I'm going, whereas on the WiiU all it took was a quick, natural glance. And don't even get me started on how much more comfortable Splatoon 1 was than 2 due to having the map constantly active and visible instead of having to push a button that overlays a map on the whole screen in the middle of live online play wtf.

Seriously all I needed/wanted was for the WiiU to function exactly as it did. The HD GC Zeldas were great examples of how something very simple can be offloaded onto the handheld touchscreen and still enhance the game experience. And I genuinely think it woulda done well if not for the one-two punch of the name/marketing and the PS4/XOne releasing so soon after.

Coulda used another gig of RAM too, but still.

IMO, the biggest issue with the Wii-U concept is that it prioritized one person over other players. Only one person could use the gamepad at any time. The Wii-U didn't allow for two people to their own GamePad on the same system at the same time. That creates conflict in the living room when kids have to fight over the controller. One kid holding the big fancy controller while the others are holding old, boring Wii-remotes isn't going to look attractive.

There was potential with the concept, I agree. It was still very flawed.
I even got that impression from the names. "Wii," as in "we," is meant to be played together. Then came the "U," which was focused on "you." I genuinely thought it was purposely named that way to show the new system would focus more on the individual "core" style games people were saying the Wii lacked. "The Wii was for the family, but this new system is for you."

Not saying it was a good idea, just that that's what I always interpreted it to mean. 😅

I even got that impression from the names. "Wii," as in "we," is meant to be played together. Then came the "U," which was focused on you. I genuinely thought it was purposely named that way to show the new system would focus more on the individual "core" style games people were saying the Wii lacked. "The Wii was for the family, but this new system is for you.
I'm relatively sure they said something like that at their E3 conference back then.

The Wii U should have been an accessory the same way the Portal is to the PS5. The Wii U was a great idea on paper and implemented by Nintendo.
Ehh I dunno about that

Part of what made the wiiu cool was having that second screen at all times. It's nice the portal can go more then 6 feet from the console, but no games use it for anything other then remote play. Don't get me wrong I love remote play, but it's not the same kind of experience games like Nintendo Land or Mario Maker offered.

Last edited:
I find Nintendo too quiet ? No ?

Princess Peach Showtime will be released tomorrow and I don't see much advertising.... And for April, the suspense remains intact.....
Probably only so much advertising they want to put into Peach. At least we got a demo haha. April looking juicy.

Princess Peach Showtime will be released tomorrow and I don't see much advertising.... And for April, the suspense remains intact.....
We should be less than two hours away from Peach reviews if the normal patterns hold. Next week is when we start looking ahead again and stuff like Indie World can happen.

Edit: Actually they are up now.

Next week is when we start looking ahead again and stuff like Indie World can happen.
me waiting for that indie world leak from pyoro like:
tenor.gif

Hopefully after Peach is out we can start hearing some rumours about a new presentation! I’m getting antsy for a Direct lol

Pyroro or however it's spelled didn't tell us about the partner direct until like a few days before it happened and after how some people treated Nate last time I wouldn't blame him if he stopped giving hints too. I know I would.

With Zelda lego set expected second half of this year, we have to be getting something Zelda for the Switch, right? Hopeful dreams I know.
Maybe, maybe not. It’s possible it’s tied to something, or perhaps not.

I’d like to think that we’re getting WWHD this year and TPHD next year

With Zelda lego set expected second half of this year, we have to be getting something Zelda for the Switch, right? Hopeful dreams I know.
I'd be surprised if we didn't get anything Zelda this year. It was annual for a decade until Tears of the Kingdom was delayed.

Tears of the Kingdom was supposed to come in 2022, so there was probably a Zelda release aiming for 2023(or maybe they planned to take a year off from the start? Which would make it sim for 2024 regardless) and it was pushed back to this year after TotK took last year's spot.

I'm torn between a new 2D Zelda game to release this fall and either Twilight Princess or Wind Waker coming in a quieter month. Getting 2D DK and 2D Zelda the following year to 3D Zelda and 2D Mario looks like a good fit. But they could hold on 2D Zelda for a cross gen late summer or fall 2025 release since it'll be a new Zelda for the next console, leaving a Zelda remaster for this year.

Forgive the somewhat off-topic post, but I found out the hard way that the NES and SNES controllers aren't fully compatible with the GB/GBA NSO apps. Gameplay technically works, but you can't use the menus or take screenshots. Why, Nintendo? This would be such an easy patch!

(I only bring this up here because I mentioned digging into NSO earlier in this thread)

Where’s the new Animal Crossing game to coincide with the Animal Crossing LEGO sets then? I don’t think the LEGO sets mean anything for game releases at all.

I'd be surprised if one didn't happen considering the only time in the past decade where we didn't get a new Zelda every year was TotK being delayed a couple of months. It feels about time for a new 2D Zelda, this year will actually be one of the longest gaps between 2D Zelda games, the only other time there was 5 years between 2D entries was Link's Awakening and Link's Awakening DX because of Ocarina of Time.

I feel like with how close we are to April and with nothing being rumored, maybe there wont be anything in April
If it is towards the end of the month (30-40 days from now) it wouldn’t be that weird to have no extra rumors or rumblings this early on.

I feel like with how close we are to April and with nothing being rumored, maybe there wont be anything in April
It's the middle of March? For all we know the event could happen over a month from now, so nobody would know anything yet.

That being said, the lack of any Indieworld rumors is worrying to say the least.

Well if the Switch 2 reveal was potentially meant to have happened this month and it was delayed only a month or so ago, it's going to reflect in their marketing/social media presence. They now had a gigantic gap to fill up and probably didn't have much to show?

After the Direct last month being moved to a week later and then all the rumours of Nintendo pushing back their Switch 2 release to 2025 and thus moving the rumoured March 2024 announcement of the console, I wouldn't be surprised if insiders/leakers are holding onto their info until they feel stuff is close enough to be locked in so avoid getting a backlash for being "wrong"

Or maybe there is nothing happening right now and nobody has any leaks/rumours to share. The fun and games of speculation

In hindsight, I really think that the 2023 line-up would have been perfect to launch the switch 2. In theory of course, in terms of license. Because the games themselves were designed for the switch 1. The absence of Zelda risks weighing the water when we know the huge importance that breath of the wild had at the launch of the switch.

I agree, the new 3D Mario is a huge event. They will definitely have Pokémon in the launch year. New Donkey Kong and Metroid Prime games have literally been awaited for years and their promotion could be closely linked to the commercialization of the next console.

However, all this raises the question of what you have to propose for the second half of 2024. I fully understand the interest of keeping Pokémon legend, Metroid Prime 4 or Donkey Kong for the next console, it really makes sense, but in this casewgat will you sellers in the meantime?

I’m really curious, and that’s what I think makes the next Nintendo Direct very exciting. Because it will be very informative. Have they chosen to maintain a good dynamic and release the games expected this year or will they completely prioritize the next console? Would remasters or remakes of fire emblem, Zelda, maybe Donkey Kong, maybe Star Fox, be potentially able to limit breakage in 2024, or not at all in your opinion?

Or an older child of an employee? I mean, that's how Smash for 3DS had its roster leaked pre-release.
GTA6 also had a leak as a result of an employee working from home and their kid taking a picture of the game. He was a real one.

Back
Top Bottom