• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

the point of the Nintendo Direct is to market games releasing this year. Nintendo wants all the news sites to be running "here are the games releasing this year announced at the Nintendo Direct." that is directly impeded by mentioning the Switch successor because then they provide grist for everyone to talk about the thing they're selling next year instead of the games they're selling this year

if there's BC, they'll talk about it when they talk about the Switch successor. there is nothing to be gained from mentioning it next month

if BC is confirmed nintendo is essentially saying “you can enjoy these games on your new thing too”. how does that impede the marketing of the games coming this year? the game works on both consoles. where’s the loss? if you don’t get the new console, you can still play all of these games. if you do, you can still play all of these games. the games are still coming out this year.

it’s the consoles last year on the market, everyone is already focussed on the next thing, it’s already been mentioned.

papa genos rarely ever takes part in the leak/rumor game so when he says something like "this is a hint" it must be something he truly believes is real

The theory is that September/October will be a big 2witch presentation in place of a Direct. So new games will be shown off in that timeframe, but it won't technically be called a Direct. Think like what they did in January 2017.

This is what I'm thinking, too.
i see so could antecipate, the presentation focused on Switch sucessor?

Not familiar with PapaGenos, is this the kind of thing he did in the past?
Generally he makes videos that ar "I will cover just about any rumor out there even if I think it's nonsense" round-ups, but he has had legit info in the past

For example, he correctly called that Prime Remastered would a) show up at the Feb 2023 direct and b) be a shadowdrop

Ah this must be a hint for this year's Zelda remasters

the-zelda-games-on-the-cd-i.jpg

My main worry of a 2D Zelda with Zelda as the main character is, that after Princess Peach Showtime, it will be aimed at a younger audience, I'm fine with Zelda being the main character, but after so long since the last new 2D Zelda game, I'm hoping for something more in line with what we are used to and not a major change in format.

And described Wonder before it was revealed.
I only really watched papagenos around the time of his Smash Ultimate coverage, back then he didn't really seem to have much insider knowledge and was mostly following the rumours, I guess things changed since then?

What's the indication of it being 2D? A top-down traditional Zelda game featuring Zelda as the main character sounds great.
that's admittedly just speculation on my part; imo it feels like the most plausible way for Nintendo to get any kind of new Zelda game out so soon after TotK is if it's something more along the scope of a Grezzo-led project that could have been in development alongside TotK (similar to Link's Awakening Remake coming relatively quickly after BotW)

if BC is confirmed nintendo is essentially saying “you can enjoy these games on your new thing too”. how does that impede the marketing of the games coming this year? the game works on both consoles. where’s the loss? if you don’t get the new console, you can still play all of these games. if you do, you can still play all of these games. the games are still coming out this year.
mentioning the existence of BC on the successor to the Switch is mentioning a feature of the successor the Nintendo Switch, which is itself newsworthy because they have intentionally withheld those details. this results in press and articles about the successor to the Nintendo Switch, which detracts from attention given to the games announced for Nintendo Switch. the entire reason that Furukawa specified that they will not talk about the successor during the Direct is because Nintendo knows that people would focus on that instead of the games for Nintendo Switch that they are trying to sell this year
it’s the consoles last year on the market, everyone is already focussed on the next thing, it’s already been mentioned.
Nintendo is still trying to sell games for the Nintendo Switch because that is the device that they are currently selling right now and will continue to sell in the immediate future. Nintendo is not currently trying to sell the successor to the Nintendo Switch and will not be trying to sell it next month, regardless of your desire to purchase it

Peach just got her own game. A Zelda game starring Zelda feels like a game Nintendo would make for the end of generation. He talks about Zelda’s design.

Sounds like it’s TOTK Zelda on her own side adventure?? Maybe a Mile Morales type of game
God, Nintendo finally doing a proper Zelda side game and it not being based on Skyward Sword Zelda? I would be so sad lol.

My main worry of a 2D Zelda with Zelda as the main character is, that after Princess Peach Showtime, it will be aimed at a younger audience, I'm fine with Zelda being the main character, but after so long since the last new 2D Zelda game, I'm hoping for something more in line with what we are used to and not a major change in format.
Why are you thinking 2D Zelda? He brings up TOTK Zelda. It sounds like a 3D Zelda game- smaller TOTK.

So ... 2D Zelda for the second half maybe?

capitalized letters spell out "this is a hint"

Two conventions Aonuma didn't change with Breath of the Wild: Link is the playable character and you play alone.

I said it in the first party thread, but Zelda veteran Yoichi Yamada was absent from Tears of the Kingdom, and the lead graphic designer from Link's Awakening remake also hasn't been credited on anything for a while. Likewise, the senior Grezzo staff for Link's Awakening didn't have much involvement in either Miitopia or Jet Dragon. Less revealingly, a few 1UP staff who assisted with Triforce Heroes also haven't been credited on anything for a few years (but 1UP are presumably at least assisting with EPD 8's 3D game). There's the makings of a new '2D' Zelda team there.

Zelda as the lead would be a good twist and a way to shake up the portable/top-down formula.

Edit - it wouldn't have to be 2D, but Aonuma wanted the 2D formula to be reinvented. That was the challenge he set down in 2017. We saw the portable Zelda brain trust from 3DS break up a little and go to EPD4 and EPD10 respectively, but Yamada's absence from TotK to me is a smoking gun. Something outside the main open world series has definitely been in the works and could be due soon.

Hopefully it’s a case where someone has seen ‘Adventure of Link’ written down and assumed it’s a game with Zelda as the main character, when actually it’s a remake of Zelda 2 😎

A 2D Zelda where you actually play as Zelda would be so fucking cool, that’s a day zero purchase.

Wonder which iteration of Zelda they’d do, if it’s a repeat at all. A game where everything is based on magic instead of traditional items could be a fun twist.

My headline for Zelda-fronted Legend of Zelda is "Nintendo reveals Breath of the Woke: Another death blow to real male heroes" and none of you can steal it.

A follow up story will read "The Wind Woker FAILS to SELL" regardless of what happens.

A 2D Zelda where you actually play as Zelda would be so fucking cool, that’s a day zero purchase.

Wonder which iteration of Zelda they’d do, if it’s a repeat at all. A game where everything is based on magic instead of traditional items could be a fun twist.
This would be a really good way to freshen up the old school lock and key dungeon progression, though who knows what form a Zelda-fronted game would take. Personally I'd hope for an EPD x Grezzo (x1UP?) collaboration.

I'd absolutely love a 2D Zelda with a playable Zelda, but definitely one of those "wait and see" kind of rumors.

I'd love a Tunic-like game focusing on Zelda's wisdom and brilliance to decipher cryptic puzzles alongside a combat system featuring a breadth of magical abilities.

Any game starring Zelda should have Link in the title just for consistency. Hero Link Showtime! Link not actually playable.

This sounds like a very Nintendo idea, in good part because a 2D Zelda where you play Zelda as the main character is not an idea I've seen anybody shop or theorize round.

total tinfoil hat time: Remember how Oracle of Seasons supposedly grew from an idea to do a Zelda 1 remake?

Imagine they approached someone for a Zelda 2 remake and that turned into a "The Adventure of Zelda" game

How fun would it be to have a new mainline 2D Zelda with:

• new playable character
  • entirely new abilities
  • new visual style

Personally I'd just roll with it and stick with The Legend of Zelda: Subtitle of Naming as the title formula.

Anyone know of PapaGenos general track record?

I know of the things he's gotten right, but I can't recall if he has ever had a miss. He reports on a lot of rumours so it's hard to separate from what he's reported from what he's said himself.

Ah this must be a hint for this year's Zelda remasters

the-zelda-games-on-the-cd-i.jpg
I would unironically love to see this happen

My headline for Zelda-fronted Legend of Zelda is "Nintendo reveals Breath of the Woke: Another death blow to real male heroes" and none of you can steal it.

A follow up story will read "The Wind Woker FAILS to SELL" regardless of what happens.
I have a sinking feeling that certain crowds will respond in exactly that way...

Bayonetta Origins gave us a Zelda-esque Bayonetta spin-off

This year we get a Bayonetta-esque Zelda spin-off

She's got wands stuck in her heels for maximum damage, Link is thoroughly whipped, Zelda is 6'5" and wearing skintight leather armour, it's 60 frames per second except for when it isn't

There's got to be a Zelda release this year, whether that's A Hyrule warriors totk addition. Tp/ww ports. Or a 2D Zelda.
They'll probably save 2D Zelda for the next console but maybe they'd want a last one on the switches final year.
Next year will have one of those three as well.

I know of the things he's gotten right, but I can't recall if he has ever had a miss. He reports on a lot of rumours so it's hard to separate from what he's reported from what he's said himself.
One thing I know he got it right is the ninja outfit for peach in Princess Peach showtime.

He's had genuine information before, but it can be hard to determine what is genuine info leaks and what is him speculating or reading random rumors.

Back
Top Bottom