• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Nintendo Marketing just was like: "But we, we prepared a new Direct Design and all :("
NCL: "Fine we do some Partner Directs to keep you busy"

On one hand the internet says every direct is mid. On the other hand it's supposedly the last year of the Switch so of course it'd be mid.

"I'm not expecting much from the next Direct. Just Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Fire Emblem 4 Remake, a new Donkey Kong, Metroid Prime 4, and Mother 3. A pretty mid Direct overall."

I don't think Nintendo would have 6 games plus an expansion for the first half of 2024 if the second half of the year had a sudden gaping hole thanks to a hardware delay.

Either they haven't delayed hardware; or more likely (sorry hardware desirers) they had plans to keep Switch support rolling throughout 2024 and into 2025 (which is already implied by the unreleased Metroid Prime 4 and the just-announced Pokemon Legends ZA game). The apparent hardware delay happened in either January or early February, and Nintendo stuck to May and June release dates for Paper Mario and LM2, which they could have pushed back if the software situation was dire. And, really, we've had the "Switch titles will stop... now!" predictions on a rolling basis since Zelda got shoved to 2023, and so far that plunge over the cliff edge hasn't materialised. Switch 1 support isn't going to continue forever, but it is going to continue for several years yet in some capacity.

Obviously, there's a pretty clear indication so far this year that Nintendo are banking on titles that aren't all that intensive in terms of development resources and that makes sense given they're moving to new hardware. But that makes me a bit more suspicious that Switch 1 software for the second half might actually be a bit more exciting, or at least stuff with more mainstream appeal than the current line up. Add to this the fact that, so far at least, there's no Pokemon title set for the holiday season, and Nintendo's 2024 plans look even odder.

I don't think there's a gigantic hole looming without software. I'd expect the rate of software releases to remain pretty steady. The real question is how interesting, exciting, or new that stuff is.

Every Direct is aggressively mid when it doesn't showcase Custom Robo.
Do you remember the legendary Nintendo E3 2006 presentation where they revealed Custom Robo Arena? You can't because it was NOT in the presentation! We found out about the game in the PR releases right after the presentation. Few other games were also there instead of the presentation: Hotel Dusk, DK Jungle Climber, Kirby Squeak Squad and DS Air, which unfortunately remained as a Japan exclusive.

Nevertheless it was an epic presentation, they revealed like more than 10 first party DS games, most in just one presentation. That DS reel still remains as the hypest Nintendo moments of my life.

The best Directs were the ones with the games I like. The worst Directs were the ones with games I don't like.
Me when a direct opens with Fire emblem:
the-worst-michael-scott.gif

All these Bravely teases from Asano makes DQ3 appearance in the next Direct less likely, IMO. Bravely sure is to be next from Team Asano.

I don't know what's going on with DQ3 development but I suspect it won't be the same game we saw years ago. Wouldn't be surprised to see the game evolved into something like Star Ocean 2 remake in the meantime.
didn't horii tweet about play testing the games not long ago? i don't doubt that something's happened during development, but i assumed that tweet was a good sign.

also, if they changed the art style to SO2's, that'd be unfortunate. i think SO2 looks great, but what we saw of DQ3 was even better.

The only news I need are FE news and Im automatically satisfied :v

(there's still no signs of if there's actually an April Direct or not, shame :<)

Me when a direct opens with Fire emblem:
the-worst-michael-scott.gif
I’m actually hoping the next Direct does open with Fire Emblem, cause that means the ‘one more thing’ is going to be something else.

Unless the next Direct opens with Metroid Prime 4, then it can go ahead and close with whatever and I won’t care

The weird thing about Fire Emblem is that if it wasn’t so heavily rumored I don’t even think I’d be thinking about a new one right now. I was very satisfied with the two main FE games that we have on Switch. I wouldn’t normally expect a franchise like FE to get another big entry (even if it’s a remake) for at least another couple of years.

The weird thing about Fire Emblem is that if it wasn’t so heavily rumored I don’t even think I’d be thinking about a new one right now. I was very satisfied with the two main FE games that we have on Switch. I wouldn’t normally expect a franchise like FE to get another big entry (even if it’s a remake) for at least another couple of years.
The 3DS had three FE titles and an early pre-KT version of Three Houses started development for it.

The vibes aren’t in for this week, but next week would make some sense. Or selfishly since I’ll be on vacation the following week, I’m going to say the 24th.

Apart from having had a partners showcase in february and not a general, this year plays out quite conventionally and according to patterns. Imagine getting this H1 release list in 2018.There would be no despair but overall excitement. There would be happiness that Nintendo has learned a lesson and is trying to give us a monthly release. There would be surprise that Nintendo is willing to invest in more niche titles. There would be understanding that not every month can have a AAA release and that ports/ HD remasters are a way to keep players happy with a constant supply of releases. There would be hope that a H2 will have great releases as H1 is already packed. This year may still turn out to be a strong year in terms of releases and in the end make plenty of people happy, despite longing for new hardware. No need to downplay things just because one expected general direct turned out to be a partners or because new hardware is not unveiled/launching as early as we would like to see it.

Whatever happened with that Beyond Good and Evil anniversary release? I know it leaked and Ubi came out and said the footage was old and it would be revealed soon but that was ages ago? Could be a potential Direct game or just held until the Ubi Forward in June and shadow dropped.

Whatever happened with that Beyond Good and Evil anniversary release? I know it leaked and Ubi came out and said the footage was old and it would be revealed soon but that was ages ago? Could be a potential Direct game or just held until the Ubi Forward in June and shadow dropped.
They are still working on retrofitting a battle pass and continous updates. /s

Hopefully it is in the next direct, and the game is just getting optimizations.

It's one of the games that makes me believe the idea of an April Direct, since it's scheduled for "Early 2024" and I feel like June is a bit too late to be considered "early".

Perhaps the ninjas got to all of them.
Strange since we have already gotten the Xbox and Sony state of play leaked/rumored.

I’m wondering if Nintendo are desperate trying to make a solid direct at the last moment, because of the switch 2 delay.

Like Pyoro always leaks the direct about 3-5 days beforehand, meanwhile other insider tells us about 3 weeks advance.

Natethehate has semi confirmed, but he most likely corresponding with the Brazilian journalist who got the delay right, but the indie direct wrong.

Like i wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo are questioning if they should make a mini direct or an indie direct for this month and call it a day, until June/July where we’ll be getting the switch 2 reveal/presentation

Strange since we have already gotten the Xbox and Sony state of play leaked/rumored.

I’m wondering if Nintendo are desperate trying to make a solid direct at the last moment, because of the switch 2 delay.

Like Pyoro always leaks the direct about 3-5 days beforehand, meanwhile other insider tells us about 3 weeks advance.

Natethehate has semi confirmed, but he most likely corresponding with the Brazilian journalist who got the delay right, but the indie direct wrong.

Like i wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo are questioning if they should make a mini direct or an indie direct for this month and call it a day, until June/July where we’ll be getting the switch 2 reveal/presentation

Where did Nate semi confirm a new Direct? I thought he wasn’t going to be sharing any new info anymore. Also, we need at least some kind of Switch exclusive software update, so an indie direct only this month and then a Switch 2 presentation in June without any new first-party Switch game announcements wouldn’t work. This is why I’m still thinking April should have a regular, final Switch-dedicated Direct, since June would be the best slot to dedicate to the Switch 2. Unless it’s even further out than we think…

None of the insiders have given any updates about the supposed April Direct?
I think that it's probably a combination of people not knowing a whole lot (it sounds like Nintendo had to change their plans quite a bit this year) and maybe being a bit more hesitant to share information right now. A lot of people got kind of burned between the Xbox stuff earlier this year and the Switch 2 being delayed. There was a lot of information shared that ended up not being accurate, and no one wants to get a reputation for jumping the gun or just being inaccurate.

Where did Nate semi confirm a new Direct? I thought he wasn’t going to be sharing any new info anymore. Also, we need at least some kind of Switch exclusive software update, so an indie direct only this month and then a Switch 2 presentation in June without any new first-party Switch game announcements wouldn’t work. This is why I’m still thinking April should have a regular, final Switch-dedicated Direct, since June would be the best slot to dedicate to the Switch 2. Unless it’s even further out than we think…

Seems like i missread his reply

BG&E 20th Anniversary is just one of the "lost" games. We have a lot of them as of now:

Beyond Good & Evil
Dragon Quest III Remake
Suikoden 1&2
Endless Dungeon
Front Mission 3
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
House of the Dead 2
Gex Trilogy
Tomba!
Clock Tower

Let's see how many of them will be at the next Direct (I'd say just Suikoden)

This week was likely never gonna happen anyway due to the III show. Next week and the week after are the ones to watch.

Even if there isn't anything this month, it is still really weird that they would unpin the Mario Day video (which contained the most up-to-date information on Nintendo projects) if they weren't going to replace it with something soon after. It could be a trailer obviously but then it just seems weird not to wait until the trailer was out there to simultaneously pin that post. I still don't really know how to feel on that end.

BG&E 20th Anniversary is just one of the "lost" games. We have a lot of them as of now:

Beyond Good & Evil
Dragon Quest III Remake
Suikoden 1&2
Endless Dungeon
Front Mission 3
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
House of the Dead 2
Gex Trilogy
Tomba!
Clock Tower

Let's see how many of them will be at the next Direct (I'd say just Suikoden)
Gex, Tomba and Clock Tower were announced last July, and BG&E was announced in late November, just over 4 months ago - I feel like it's too soon to classify them as "lost" and putting them on the same level with games we haven't gotten any information on for years.

Also, FM2 remake came out just last October and is launching on other platforms later this month, they obviously are focused on that one first and we're most likely going to see or hear about the 3rd one later this year.

Tbh I think Donkey Kong and Metroid Prime 4 are way more needed this year than they'd be needed next year as cross gen titles. Mario will carry the launch day and first couple of months, Mario Kart will be the absolute biggest exclusive release on holiday 2025, Pokémon Legends Z-A will carry the summer or another fall month, there will probably be something from Monolith Soft, a new IP and stuff we don't expect.

Nintendo is definitely saving all system selling software for next gen exclusivity or cross gen, but niche stuff that sells well and reviews outstandingly (MP4) and big sellers that don't really move a lot of hardware (Donkey Kong and Mario Party) would greatly benefit from releasing on a huge install base and be more useful on a year that's more about selling software than hardware.

End of next week is the time to lose hope. We’ll almost certainly hear from Pyoro by a week from this Friday if there’s a Direct this month. If there isn’t one, I imagine it’s back to the usual June slot, and the Switch 2 reveal is later than June, because it’s hard to see them showing the next system before laying out the roadmap for Switch 1 software for the remainder of the year. They have to have at least a couple things post-LM2.

Tbh I think Donkey Kong and Metroid Prime 4 are way more needed this year than they'd be needed next year as cross gen titles. Mario will carry the launch day and first couple of months, Mario Kart will be the absolute biggest exclusive release on holiday 2025, Pokémon Legends Z-A will carry the summer or another fall month, there will probably be something from Monolith Soft, a new IP and stuff we don't expect.

Nintendo is definitely saving all system selling software for next gen exclusivity or cross gen, but niche stuff that sells well and reviews outstandingly (MP4) and big sellers that don't really move a lot of hardware (Donkey Kong and Mario Party) would greatly benefit from releasing on a huge install base and be more useful on a year that's more about selling software than hardware.
Best case scenario is
  • MP4
  • A new DK game or even a port of country returns
  • Dual release of Wind waker and Twilight princess
  • smaller title.
  • Xenoblade X, but that's probably will be a switch 2 exlusives

Back
Top Bottom