• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

I think someone even specifically called out the release date, but with all the talk about the main April direct not happening recently I completely forgot about it
I mean

I was calling out the 17th a bunch but I was just fuckin around 😅

@the_marmolade may've been fuckin around too but this is fun so whatevs

Last edited:
Metroid Prime is indeed coming out this year, but it's actually a Switch 3 exclusive and everyone will have to wait 10 years before they can actually use their cartridges

When asked why they would make such a controversial decision, Nintendo's president Flippy would only say "I'm a dolphin, leave me alone"

More at 11

Hold up, since when did people say an april direct isn't going to be happening? I definitely missed something?
Brazil confidently walked back his comments about an April Direct. He got something wrong, oh well. Furthermore... it's the 17th of April. Unless there's a Nintendo Direct next week, there's no other time one can happen.

This Indie Showcase thing has my hopes up for a Nintendo Direct either next week or in the first full week of May. (And I probably wouldn't be able to watch live due to being out of town and busy...) Late April or Early May would still allow an FE 4 Remake to release in July if need be, but we'll see. Or back to late May/Early June. I'd take a 23rd Direct!

This Indie Showcase thing has my hopes up for a Nintendo Direct either next week or in the first full week of May. (And I probably wouldn't be able to watch live due to being out of town and busy...) Late April or Early May would still allow an FE 4 Remake to release in July if need be, but we'll see. Or back to late May/Early June. I'd take a 23rd Direct!
I wouldn't get your hopes up for something that early. Sure there might be something like a trailer drop, but we haven't had a May Direct since 2022's Indie World... or a Major Direct since the Mario Maker 2 Direct in 2019. Considering an Indie World is happening in an hour and a half, I wouldn't put too much hope into a Direct that soon.

Best case scenario is a Direct around Not-E3 season, but even then I'm starting to have doubts about it. Idk, maybe there's something, I honestly don't know.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for something that early. Sure there might be something like a trailer drop, but we haven't had a May Direct since 2022's Indie World... or a Major Direct since the Mario Maker 2 Direct in 2019. Considering an Indie World is happening in an hour and a half, I wouldn't put too much hope into a Direct that soon.

Best case scenario is a Direct around Not-E3 season, but even then I'm starting to have doubts about it. Idk, maybe there's something, I honestly don't know.
There are moves that can shift the situation of course, like a new July game Twitter announcement or potentially something popping up at the Indie World, but a Direct in May currently has a very good chance of happening as the release date calendar dries up for both first and third party. After Endless Ocean, there aren’t any brand new first party games scheduled and come July the first and third party games list really dries up. The last Partner Showcase did have some very quick turnarounds, but that’s as of now a very unusual situation for Nintendo shows as they tend to show things further off.

Very curious how the Indie World will shake out today. We are in an unusual year across the industry, so it has the potential at least to shake up speculation a bit even if they usually don’t.

July and after
QIVjRz6.png

Personally entertaining multiple scenarios:

- May Direct
This would be contingent on Nintendo wanting to announce a release for July and not doing that outside a Direct. Worth remembering that Endless Ocean Luminous still got a Direct spot this year, so there's zero sign Nintendo want to shift first-party titles outside the Direct format. May is convenient for both a July release and investors; but the wrinkle here is that Nintendo's new fiscal year briefing is May 7th, meaning Nintendo would need to do a Golden Week Direct on the 1st or 2nd of May if they wanted a fuller release slate ahead of releasing their new fiscal year guidance.

Alternatively, Nintendo aren't fussed about the fiscal year briefing but they still want to announce a July release so they push out a Direct slightly later in May. Maybe they even confirm a Direct for May 8th during their briefing on the 7th, but the closer we get to that the less convinced I am. If May 7th includes a formal hardware announcement, Nintendo might want to distance Switch 1 software news from that slightly.

- June Direct (+ July game announced before the Direct?)
This is the boring option. Firstly, in terms of investor relations, the next significant date on the calendar after the May 7th briefing will be the next Annual General Meeting, which usually takes place in mid to late June. Last year Nintendo timed their next Direct so that it aired just ahead of the AGM rather than the fiscal year briefing; but I'd say the big difference in 2023 was that Nintendo could go into their May briefing with two historically huge products to discuss (Tears of the Kingdom's pending release and the Super Mario Bros Movie). No such high profile products exist officially right now, which will make investors more antsy.

All that being said, June is still on the cards. On top of AGM timing, Nintendo's release schedule is seemingly set for the first quarter of the new fiscal year (April, May, June), so they can point to these products in the short term (especially if there's hardware confirmation coming to swallow up the news cycle for a bit). Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is the last confirmed product at the end of June, and so June is a logical time for them to update the release calendar with a fresh Direct. This would potentially mean skipping a July release for the first time in the Switch era; or alternatively announcing a 'casual' title outside of a Direct, probably in May, for a release in July.

I don't get the should part, says who actually?

They can do lower price like 50 or even 40 but the two games are unrelated. And we got full price Skyward Sword which is arguably worse than both.
idk ports of two ports don't seem like "50 or even 40" dollar games.

But my comment was more in the face of the fear they'll push them out at 50 or 60 bucks, which is ludicrous.

Brazil confidently walked back his comments about an April Direct. He got something wrong, oh well. Furthermore... it's the 17th of April. Unless there's a Nintendo Direct next week, there's no other time one can happen.
I really wouldn't be so sure about the last part. Shareholders Meeting does come up in a few weeks, and with no further info about games or a new system, I feel like it will be close to get something. Whether it be next week, or some weeks followed.;)

But I guess we feel each other that the clock is ticking endlessly. From huge hype up in december to total chaos in february to walking into a dry warm desert with the need of water/info in the present.

I really wouldn't be so sure about the last part. Shareholders Meeting does come up in a few weeks, and with no further info about games or a new system, I feel like it will be close to get something. Whether it be next week, or some weeks followed.;)

But I guess we feel each other that the clock is ticking endlessly. From huge hype up in december to total chaos in february to walking into a dry warm desert with the need of water/info in the present.
A direct in May may as well be a comedy-principle. They just... don't happen. A Nintendo Switch 2 trailer appearing is... uhh... deeply unlikely but not impossible, but the most i'm expecting out of May is a "Nintendo Switch 2 mention at the Financial Briefing" at most. We're most likely going to get a June Direct (either a normal one or a Partner showcase) but we'll have to see it when it happens.

Happy Anton got some love and that stitch game looks like the exact weird puzzle game I’d want Nintendo (Pushmo, Picross 3D, etc.)

I’m honestly like 75% as satisfied as I was from the Partner Showcase? (lol) but I just want a meaty general now. I know it’ll just be a port-fest but I’m gonna start hoping for some smaller new titles sprinkled in there as well

I don't understand those who hope Nintendo will abandon the Switch version of Metroid Prime 4.

Not everyone can afford or want to buy Super Switch when it comes out.

And in any case, it's highly unlikely that this will happen. Nintendo must keep its promise, period. Then, they won't ignore 140+ million of Switch, especially for this license. I'm convinced the game will be released on Switch. And I'm convinced (yes, I'm taking the risk) that we'll see the game at the end of the year :)

Returning to Nintendo Direct, Nintendo plans to sell 2 games next month. So, I don't think we'll have any next month, but I hope I'm wrong.

I merely want something to spend the other half of my eShop voucher on, be it 2D Zelda, Metroid Prime 4, or Fire Emblem 4.

I don't understand those who hope Nintendo will abandon the Switch version of Metroid Prime 4.

I assume it's due to an assumption that in a crossgen situation the OG Switch version will "hold back" a potential 2witch version due to how much more would be possible on the new hardware.

But I doubt there'll be any risk of it being moved to a next-gen exclusive because in order to take full advantage of a much more powerful system in ways that would render it unable to run on the old, they'd have to change the scope to a degree that might essentially be a second development reboot, and I doubt they'd do that.

If there are two "versions" of the game for a crossgen release, I expect nothing more than a resolution bump and maybe something like a more advanced lighting system for the 2witch version. Nothing huge. If they have big ideas that would only be possible on more advanced hardware, they'd probably just file them under "stuff to do for Prime 5."

This. Wishing that games are withheld from a userbase who has already been promised that game for the sake of graphics is selfish.

I will likely be unable to get Super Switch when it comes out because prices for Nintendo consoles in Mexico during launch period are unreasonably high. Switch was 500 dollars at launch lmao. Thankfully it's come way back down since, with non special edition OLEDs being around 300 dollars.

I wanted more of that gorgeous stuff
Damn I wish Illumination had given those scenes time to breathe
Me too man. Me too. This should be their prime objective for the sequel: even more bombastic visuals/action but fix the pacing. It's nice to look at gorgeous stuff but it's never as rewarded as when you can actually connect to the characters.

kinda baffling that Tomodachi Life never got a sequel on switch despite selling a shitton with 6.5M on 3DS
Collection got a sequel on 3DS because Sakamoto had new ideas to work with and a much improved text-to-voice technology. Sakamoto is kind of guy don't do things because they sell well, there has to be good idea behind it, as he said himself in one of Iwata Asks. Text-to-voice tech is very common (and got a lot better) these days so it won't cut it alone.

Now that you mention it, it's a little strange that the Sonic movies have better, slower pacing than the Mario movie. At worst the Sonic movies have scenes that drag on too long.
sonic 2 would have been better if they cut out most of the wedding stuff and be about 20 minutes shorter too

sonic 2 would have been better if they cut out most of the wedding stuff and be about 20 minutes shorter too
TBH I thought the wedding scene was one of the best parts of the movie but yeah it could have been cut down a little. Yeah, it's not focusing on Sonic characters but I liked how the humans themselves were cartoony in a way that matched the usual tone of Sonic. Also was just a fun way to introduce GUN to the movies.

Now the dance off scene? Yeah, I woulda just cut that entirely.

Back
Top Bottom