• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Imagine if the June Direct shows both Silksong and Metroid Prime 4.
Imagine this.
  • Prime 2+3 remasters
  • New DK or a port of country
  • Twilight princess and Wind waker
  • Fire emblem remake
  • silksong
and lastly Prime 4 slated for November.
With that you got yourself a solid holiday second cour lineup

Imagine this.
  • Prime 2+3 remasters
  • Fire emblem remake
  • silksong
That's not just "solid", that's miraculous and would make for one of the best Switch years ever.

Imagine this.
  • Prime 2+3 remasters
  • Fire emblem remake
  • silksong
Solid? That would be a serious contender for my favourite Switch year

How are y'all saying "best Switch year" when it's literally old games being released again in this list ? I can understand that y'all have low expectations for the last year, but saying this... I could get it if that's a new DK instead of another port, with MP4 and Silksong, but still.

How are y'all saying "best Switch year" when it's literally old games being released again in this list ? I can understand that y'all have low expectations for the last year, but saying this... I could get it if that's a new DK instead of another port, with MP4 and Silksong, but still.
It's because we like old shit.
basketball-cobra-hehe.gif

Bec
Silksong and Metroid are very anticipated

Just my preferences,. combined with hyperbole. But truth I may enjoy a good remake of a masterpiece more than a new game. But MP4 has to be there to for it to be a great year.

World of Goo 2 getting delayed to August 2nd is a bit of a shame, but given I've slowed down with gaming lately it'll give me time to actually finish Prince of Persia and play my other Switch purchases this year.

And I'd suggest May 1st as the next possible Direct date. That gives the Indie World time to sink in, and would give Nintendo time to announce games for July through December ahead of their fiscal year briefing on May 8th. If they're happy to go to investors with minimal information on what their new fiscal year looks like, then we'll be waiting a little longer for a Direct, but I think the usual June window is the absolute latest.

You know, I'm still waiting for the Level-5 event that was supposed to happen this month 😭😭😭. I know we still have about a week left but I don't know if it'll make it 😭

It's because we like old shit.
basketball-cobra-hehe.gif
Bec

Silksong and Metroid are very anticipated
Just my preferences,. combined with hyperbole. But truth I may enjoy a good remake of a masterpiece more than a new game. But MP4 has to be there to for it to be a great year.

I get it, but "best Switch year" when 2022 and 2023 are right there with plenty of brand new games is a bit sad (but it's just my opinion).

I am honestly curious why people keep meshing Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD together.
iirc in 2021 or so someone (I wanna say Andy Robinson?) reported that a WW/TP double-pack was coming and since it was Zelda's 35th and 3D All-Stars was still fresh I guess a bunch of people shrugged their shoulders and went "yeah, that sounds vaguely plausible"

Personally I don't expect a $60 collection, but I could maaaybe see something like "one for $40-$50, both for $70-$80 on the eshop". In all likelihood though, if I did have to put money on it I'd probably bet on "released in different years for full price"

I am honestly curious why people keep meshing Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD together.
It doesn’t really make sense for one to release, and the other not (IMO)

An ideal timeline would’ve been one in ‘22 and one this year, but as I can’t change the past, releasing them together will have to do!

Alternatively, one this year and one next year makes sense too, just means that TP will get less attention (again) as it is released at the end of a generation.

I now believe in the expectation that Nintendo will have a light H2

Because they will want to stay out of the way of Keanu Reeves as Shadow the Hedgehog
ah, so what you’re saying is that light conquers shadow?

edit: sorry for the accidental ping

It doesn’t really make sense for one to release, and the other not (IMO)

An ideal timeline would’ve been one in ‘22 and one this year, but as I can’t change the past, releasing them together will have to do!

Alternatively, one this year and one next year makes sense too, just means that TP will get less attention (again) as it is released at the end of a generation.
them just being HAGI ports solves this problem

They're not waiting to have prime 4 on switch 2 because the whole system is likely backwards compatible. Waiting to release prime 4 with all the other big titles of switch 2 would just hurt the sales of prime 4

Oh no, so Metroid Prime 4 might sell 4 million instead of 5 million.

Nintendo's main focus is on Switch 2 now and delivering a platform that can see them through the next 8 years of software sales. Having an incredible year 1 (like Switch 1 had) is way more important to them.

Nintendo's main focus is on Switch 2 now and delivering a platform that can see them through the next 8 years of software sales. Having an incredible year 1 (like Switch 1 had) is way more important to them.
Prime 4 will sell about 8 million, mark my words. Regardless. They won't need to rely on Prime 4 because they already have a lot more software that would wasn't promised for switch 1. Backwards compatibility will be enough

Prime 4 will sell about 8 million, mark my words. Regardless. They won't need to rely on Prime 4 because they already have a lot more software that would wasn't promised for switch 1. Backwards compatibility will be enough

People have been waiting seven years for Prime 4. What's another 6 months to release on both?

Quoted by: Ab
maybe, or even September. I can see them doing 2 or 3 Twitter reveals and that's it till the Switch 2 trailer
Im not too bummed. After the switch 2 delay news I sort of expected a lite year of Nintendo releases, especially with Pokemon skipping this year as well. I still expect we will get one or two Wii U ports later this year to pad out the schedule abit til next March. Maybe one of the zelda remasters, and xenoblade or yoshi? Those are the only notable ones missing I can think of at the moment, except starfox, color splash and kirby and the rainbow curse. But rainbow curse is sort of doa without a dedicated touch screen at all time. Similarly starfox zero would be tough to do without the gamepad. Color splash may have been more plausible if they weren’t all ready putting out a paper mario remake this year.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they had more 3ds hd remasters waiting in the wings as well. Everoasis and tomodachi life would be cool things to let more people play

Last edited:

Switch 2 was supposed to come this year and they released an actual megaton last holiday with Wonder. Had Switch 2 not been delayed, I'd bet they'd have something that we all think makes a lot of sense to be cross gen just before Switch 2 released.

They could've repurposed some of 3DS' late life games as Switch cross gen titles but didn't, and Switch isn't compatible with 3DS, a problem Switch 2 won't have.

They had the absolute biggest release of the 3DS in November 2016 with Switch releasing 4 months after it. They also only revealed the Switch in October of that year, and Pokémon Sun/Moon(or hell even Paper Mario Color Splash) probably played a factor on it. They still absolutely wanted to sell software that holiday season, and they saved an unannounced Wii U game that could literally just be sat for a little while and be even a Switch only game to release that October.

They were expecting to sell some huge volumes of software this holiday and that will already be hurt by the main title(3D Mario, presumably) being delayed. They will definitely have stuff to sell on the period of the year that they sell the most.

That doesn't necessarily have to be Metroid Prime 4. It can be a 10m selling game if they choose to release Mario Party this year. Or a game that we can't determine the full sales potential but can very well turn into a 10m seller with Donkey Kong. Or they can just split and release more games that sell less than that, like FE4, MP4 and a 2D Zelda or the remasters.

What they absolutely don't need to do is pack the next year which probably already is set with some real big stuff exclusive for Switch 2(Mario and Mario Kart), cross gen stuff that was already meant to come in 2025(Pokémon, maybe 2D Zelda or DK or remasters) and niche stuff that will fill the voids that something like MP4 would if it came this year as cross gen.

I believe Metroid Prime 4 can again a lot with the spotlight of being a launch window title for Switch 2, and I think it could make the franchise reach new highs, but I don't think being positioned as THE holiday game(like Dread was) on a year that's way quieter than 2021 will do it any harm either. I believe both occasions have their pros and cons, and I think Nintendo's marketing department will know better when to release it. But I think Switch 2 lineup of 2025 is more than safe and can be just as great or greater than Switch 1 even if all of DK, MP4 and Mario Party come in 2024. And definitely they won't save Fire Emblem 4 remake for next gen, for all we know they can have a brand new FE game for Switch 2 by early 2026.

Im not too bummed. After the switch 2 delay news I sort of expected a lite year of Nintendo releases, especially with Pokemon skipping this year as well. I still expect we will get one or two Wii U ports later this year to pad out the schedule abit til next March. Maybe one of the zelda remasters, and xenoblade or yoshi? Those are the only notable ones missing I can think of at the moment, except starfox, color splash and kirby and the rainbow curse. But rainbow curse is sort of doa without a dedicated touch screen at all time. Similarly starfox zero would be tough to do without the gamepad. Color splash may have been more plausible if they weren’t all ready putting out a paper mario remake this year.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they had more 3ds hd remasters waiting in the wings as well. Everoasis and tomodachi life would be cool things to let more people play
TBH Star Fox Zero would be a much better game if remade without the Wii U Gamepad bs

They had the absolute biggest release of the 3DS in November 2016 with Switch releasing 4 months after it. They also only revealed the Switch in October of that year, and Pokémon Sun/Moon(or hell even Paper Mario Color Splash) probably played a factor on it. They still absolutely wanted to sell software that holiday season, and they saved an unannounced Wii U game that could literally just be sat for a little while and be even a Switch only game to release that October.

The Switch was an unknown at that point. They needed a good holiday period back then far more than they do now. I'm not saying there won't be games for Q3 and Q4 but people need to keep their expectations under control. We're right on the cusp of a new hardware generation.

World of Goo 2 getting delayed to August 2nd is a bit of a shame, but given I've slowed down with gaming lately it'll give me time to actually finish Prince of Persia and play my other Switch purchases this year.

And I'd suggest May 1st as the next possible Direct date. That gives the Indie World time to sink in, and would give Nintendo time to announce games for July through December ahead of their fiscal year briefing on May 8th. If they're happy to go to investors with minimal information on what their new fiscal year looks like, then we'll be waiting a little longer for a Direct, but I think the usual June window is the absolute latest.
Ahhh World of Goo 2 delayed that stings! That was my big May game with Paper Mario TTYD new content still not detailed.

On the weekend I threw out April 30th or May 7th as potential Direct dates I was looking at. Someone on the last page mentioned Golden Week is the April 30th week so that’s definitely out. If the investor meeting is the 8th, then I’m picking May 7th then as the Direct date. You miss Endless Ocean, but if that game has any kind of post launch support you can still hit it right then and there and give Paper Mario its big push.

If it's sliding into May they may as well just hold off until early June. If it doesn't happen next week that's my expectation.

June just feels right, but I absolutely won’t complain if it’s in May.

July however… that is unacceptable

Switch 2 was supposed to come this year and they released an actual megaton last holiday with Wonder. Had Switch 2 not been delayed, I'd bet they'd have something that we all think makes a lot of sense to be cross gen just before Switch 2 released.

They could've repurposed some of 3DS' late life games as Switch cross gen titles but didn't, and Switch isn't compatible with 3DS, a problem Switch 2 won't have.

They were expecting to sell some huge volumes of software this holiday and that will already be hurt by the main title(3D Mario, presumably) being delayed. They will definitely have stuff to sell on the period of the year that they sell the most.

That doesn't necessarily have to be Metroid Prime 4. It can be a 10m selling game if they choose to release Mario Party this year. Or a game that we can't determine the full sales potential but can very well turn into a 10m seller with Donkey Kong. Or they can just split and release more games that sell less than that, like FE4, MP4 and a 2D Zelda or the remasters.

What they absolutely don't need to do is pack the next year which probably already is set with some real big stuff exclusive for Switch 2(Mario and Mario Kart), cross gen stuff that was already meant to come in 2025(Pokémon, maybe 2D Zelda or DK or remasters) and niche stuff that will fill the voids that something like MP4 would if it came this year as cross gen.

I believe Metroid Prime 4 can again a lot with the spotlight of being a launch window title for Switch 2, and I think it could make the franchise reach new highs, but I don't think being positioned as THE holiday game(like Dread was) on a year that's way quieter than 2021 will do it any harm either. I believe both occasions have their pros and cons, and I think Nintendo's marketing department will know better when to release it. But I think Switch 2 lineup of 2025 is more than safe and can be just as great or greater than Switch 1 even if all of DK, MP4 and Mario Party come in 2024. And definitely they won't save Fire Emblem 4 remake for next gen, for all we know they can have a brand new FE game for Switch 2 by early 2026.

I think Nintendo does feel like they need to pack next year with games because that's how Switch started off. Would Switch 2 have been delayed if not? But as for whether or not that means no big new games this year is up in the air. Maybe the delay pushes 2025 releases closer together and they feel they need to drop a new DK or Prime 4 this year in order to maintain momentum. Or maybe they feel they have enough smaller titles and remakes to squeak through the year. Also if Switch 2 reveal happens in summer/fall, that'll help generate conversation and they may not need a big holiday title.

I still believe we'll get something Pokémon for the Switch for the holidays, but no shot mainline Pokémon drops on eShop/NSO before the series' 30th anniversary.

I wonder how these companies come up with when they air their shows... most of the Indie World's of the past aired at 9 AM PST but this one is at 7 AM

I wonder how these companies come up with when they air their shows... most of the Indie World's of the past aired at 9 AM PST but this one is at 7 AM
My fault, sorry. Nintendo knows I have an appointment in the late morning so they scooted it earlier so I could put on my clown makeup and watch with my friends

The movie release date thing was seriously my favorite of Nate's teases, I cannot believe I wasn't paying attention when someone else did it 🤣
I think someone even specifically called out the release date, but with all the talk about the main April direct not happening recently I completely forgot about it

Back
Top Bottom