• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Passing this along - make of this what you will

Use caution - this is basically hearsay ("I saw this mentioned in Discord by PapaGenos").

If PapaGenos has actually said it... I'll believe it. Dude got Prime 1 right when no one else was saying it would show up at that Direct. Someone he knows has info inside Retro.

I have to wonder how bad the cutscenes (and in which way) actually were for them to sit on the game that went through a complete development reboot 🤔

Even if I believe it's possible that Prime 4 is done and they're just waiting like they did with prime R, any "leak" out of retro is bullshit

Glad to know that Metroid Prime 4 will still release on Switch. I have no intention of buying Switch 2 when it comes out.
They announced it in the first Switch E3 for the Switch. There is no way it won't launch on Switch, in any case it would be cross gen like BotW, but considering the more than probable Switch 2 backwards compatibility, I even doubt that.

Never. All I've said is that they could have shown the game this year, if they wanted to.

And there is a gulf of difference between the game being finished and being content complete. To my knowledge, the game remains in active development.
You think it’ll release next year?

I'd be shocked if Nintendo showed off Prime 4 for the first time at the TGA's lol.

This is just trying to connect the obviously false “Prime 4 is done” rumors from Nate etc with the many job postings Retro had and filled for working on Prime 4 cutscenes.
after Nate's comment the quotations made me laugh.

My response: Nintendo has sat on finished games multiple times, and also spent a whole year polishing Totk. So I think this could be legit.
Youtuber response: Prime 4 Reveal at Game Awards Confirmed!

I know you can't garner too much from job postings, but when they are literally being advertised for Prime 4, obviously they are still working on it in some capacity. As Nate said, there is a huge difference between content complete and the the game going gold.

I know you can't garner too much from job postings, but when they are literally being advertised for Prime 4, obviously they are still working on it in some capacity. As Nate said, there is a huge difference between content complete and the the game going gold.
The other thing to consider is that maybe Prime 4 won't be just a "one and done" game, as expected.

Say, for example, the game will have a sizable expansion of some sort. You'd need to grow the team some more, at least so that you could feel comfortable having a dedicated squad working on that, while the veterans possibly go on to work on either "Prime 5", or another project altogether.

The other thing to consider is that maybe Prime 4 won't be just a "one and done" game, as expected.

Say, for example, the game will have a sizable expansion of some sort. You'd need to grow the team some more, at least so that you could feel comfortable having a dedicated squad working on that, while the veterans possibly go on to work on either "Prime 5", or another project altogether.

Seems unlikely to me based on the history of the series and the studio. But not impossible, of course.

Yeah... It feels like BS to me. Polishing taking a year or so is super common, and cutscenes might be an area to improve, but "delayed because the cutscenes were bad" as if the game was done without them reviewing cautiously their quality and had to do it at the tail end of development looks like a hard no.

Anyways, I just wish I could see the game already. Nintendo suspiciously removed their YT profile pic like yesterday, and Metroid Dread Samus was the profile pic of social media during its hype cycle. Would be amazing if we saw it today but I don't think it's happening.

Unless they badly want an already announced game to appear on a Switch 2 trailer or something.

The Process helps those who help themselves. Keep trusting in The Process in these uncertain times and you will be rewarded. The Process may seem to delay from our limited perspective, but it never fails - that is a guarantee.

Prime 1 through 3 sold a combined five million units and their sequel will be released probably in Spring 2025, eight years after announcement, with 6.5 years of dev time from Retro and probably 2.5 years of dev time from Namco.

Not that I’m personally upset about this obscene level of investment but it’s truly remarkable.

BG&E2 has never left pre production so it hasn’t had nearly as much money spent on it.

Prime 1 through 3 sold a combined five million units and their sequel will be released probably in Spring 2025, eight years after announcement, with 6.5 years of dev time from Retro and probably 2.5 years of dev time from Namco.

Not that I’m personally upset about this obscene level of investment but it’s truly remarkable.

BG&E2 has never left pre production so it hasn’t had nearly as much money spent on it.

It's crazy that the entire Prime Trilogy was in development for about 7.5 years in total, and Prime 4 will have been in development for close to that when it is finally completed.

I mean, depending on when Namco started development, we’re already past that mark, lol.

If Namco started Spring 2016, we’re already there.

I got the sense when Prime 4 was announced it couldn't have been in development more than 6 months or so, but you're right, we don't know. But we also technically don't even know if Namco was developing it :p

Never. All I've said is that they could have shown the game this year, if they wanted to.

And there is a gulf of difference between the game being finished and being content complete. To my knowledge, the game remains in active development.
It would be ridiculous if it's not a cross platform release at this point.

Had another Metroid Prime 4 dream.

The game came out and it was met with controversy because halfway through, Samus was taken out of the story and you played as a completely different character for the rest of the game.

A friend of mine recently beat MGS2 so that's probably why I had that dream.

Do you guys think this will use an internal engine?I was thinking the other day that F-zero 99 uses Mario Odissey engine but the game was made by a non japanese team. NST.
I think the safest bet is it'll still use Retro's RUDE engine; it's what they've used for all their other games, and they even ported Prime Remastered to the latest version of it

NST used the 3D Mario engine probably because it's what they were familiar with, having worked on those games previously. Similarly, I'd expect Retro to stick to what they're familiar with

Had another Metroid Prime 4 dream.

The game came out and it was met with controversy because halfway through, Samus was taken out of the story and you played as a completely different character for the rest of the game.

A friend of mine recently beat MGS2 so that's probably why I had that dream.
Did you play as Abby?

Do you guys think this will use an internal engine?I was thinking the other day that F-zero 99 uses Mario Odissey engine but the game was made by a non japanese team. NST.

Yes. All of Retro's games have used the RUDE Engine (Retro Unified Development Environment). One of the job ads for Prime 4 several months back mentioned using Retro's in house engine.

I just hope we see the game very early in the year. I feel like they'll reveal the game on a regular Direct so it can be featured on the Switch 2 reveal trailer, similarly to BotW in 2016.

It's probably holiday 2024, with Switch 2 releasing somewhere between May and September alongside 3D Mario.

But tbh I'm making my mind to accept it even as an early 2025 game fo avoid disappointment.

It's wild that if it releases by late 2024 it'll be 6 years of development by Retro already. They're taking their time and I'm sure they'll serve.

Are we going to start discussing employees are leaving Retro? One contract writer just left. There was another contract person who recently left.
It's contractors leaving at the end of the year, not sure there's much to discuss. Contractors left in July too iirc

Back
Top Bottom