• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

I've had plenty of stuff I've enjoyed so far this year and even more to look forward to on Switch

- Another Code: Recollection was great. It had been a long time since I played the DS game and I never finished the Wii game before so the Switch remake was the perfect excuse to play the whole series

- Mario Vs Donkey Kong was another remake yeah but it was nice to return to what the series originally was and experience that again

- Penny's Big Breakaway was a great 3D platformer from the Sonic Mania devs. A solid foundation for them to build off in the future

- Pocket Card Jockey: Ride On was a fun game. Yeah it's a port of a late 3DS title but I had never put much time into until now

- Unicorn Overlord was a brilliant strategy game from Vanillaware where the multiple objective map design was a highlight for me. It got a little repetitive towards the end but nonetheless a good game

- Princess Peach: Showtime! was a great chill experience giving my favourite Mario Princess the time to shine again at last. There was a lot of cute moments in that one that made me smile

And then upcoming I'm looking forward to:
- Endless Ocean: Luminous (a series I own on Wii but never played much of so this is a great opportunity to dive in for the first time properly)

- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (My favourite Mario RPG and the glow up looks incredible! Perfect excuse to revisit that game again)

- Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance (I really enjoyed the original and there looks to be a substantial amount of new content in this where I don't have to play through all the old content again to access which is great)

- Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble (a third party exclusive! Banana Mania was my first Monkey Ball and I loved it so I'm all in for this)

- Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (yeah another port/remaster from Nintendo but it's been over 10 years since I last played it so I'm excited to revisit again on Switch)

- Trails Through Daybreak (got into the series last year, finished Reverie last month, I am so ready for a brand new arc kicking off in Calvard. Probably the release I'm most excited for)

- Sonic X Shadow Generations (Played a decent amount of Generations before when I got my PS3 but I was late in getting a PS3 that generation that 3DS Generations was the one I had put more time into doing 100%. The new Shadow content is the most exciting thing here, I wanna see what they're doing with that)

All that and there's still plenty of announcements to be made in June for the rest of the year! Like I wouldn't call it the Switches best year (2017, 2022, and 2024 stand much taller for me) but I've still had plenty to enjoy so I've been pretty happy with things.

Third-party and indie support on the Switch is so much better than third-party support was on the WiiU or GameCube that it feels a little ridiculous to say the Switch is having a bad final year.

The WiiU software drought is LAUGHING.
This is a great point

Sadly Gamecube's final year had Odama, so your opinion is invalid

Gaming has never been an industry where I need a constant output of new games to keep me engaged. I will easily go months without playing a new game. Instead, I might:

-Play an old game I haven't played before
-Watch anime/television
-Read manga
-Engage in any of my other hobbies

So yeah, while it's definitely looking like a dry year for Nintendo, I can't say I'm bored or restless. I don't think I've bought a single new game this year and the only one so far I'm definitely buying is TTYD. But I also never was anxious about new hardware either.

If you're bored on Switch.... What can we say about Sony which hasn't released an exclusive since Spiderman 2?

Don't worry, I'm sure Nintendo has games planned for the second half of the year. We'll have to wait for the next Nintendo Direct. They did the same thing last year.

See the trick is to still be catching up on games you bought in 2023 and to also frequently be too ill to do much gaming. I'm only just getting towards the end of Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, which is one of only two games I've bought so far in 2024. I've still got five of the 2D Final Fantasy games, Baten Kaitos II, Bayonetta Origins and the third act of Baldur's Gate 3 in my "bought in 2023 Pile". I've done Mario 64 and Sunshine so I've still got Galaxy, 3D World, Bowser's Fury and Odyssey to get through. And, excitingly, I've got Unicorn Overlord as my second 2024 purchase and Thousand Year Door as my third 2024 purchase, mostly so I can have the authoritative say on the game and end two decades of online bickering. jk.

After that, Stardew 1.6, World of Goo 2 and Ys X are the 2024 things I'm waiting on. But I suspect the Switch release schedule will look somewhat better by the time those games are closer to release. And I'll probably do my usual year-end GamePass sub to catch up on stuff there.

Last edited:
I dont get the kneejerk reaction to defend a multibillion dollar company

Granted I’m the first person to defend Nintendo on accusations that the quality of their games isn’t good but that’s because I respect the artists behind the games immensely

But the corporate leadership? Cmon, this is supposed to be a leftist site, have a little anti capitalist rage here and there

Oh I've played them and I recognize their quality. I just meant that in terms of what @Phendrift was saying about what exciting games are on the horizon, there isn't really anything I'm terribly jazzed about. I know TTYD has a great reputation but it's probably something I'll pick up later on sale, and my excitement about Prime 4 is gonna depend on whether its gameplay is closer to Prime 1 or 3. But honestly I'm a goober who'd be much more excited about Metroid 6, which is likely a waaaayyys off. 😅
No need to explain I was kidding, I still have to clear some stuff but I'm like you, the only thing exciting after TTYD is World of Goo 2. Actually there's a lot of stuff I could play like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk or Elden Ring on Xbox but I'm not in the mood for long games currently.

But I'm sure this will change after next Direct.

You know how sitcoms always have that plotline about how men need to learn to validate women's feelings instead of trying to solve their problems? That's how I feel when talking about this year's lineup.

There's no games on the horizon for Switch this year that give me that hyped, anticipatory feeling of wanting a game badly. That is a pleasant feeling I enjoy experiencing, and it's a bit of a shame I don't have it right now. Feeling that way isn't a logical error I need to be reasoned out of.

Don't say: "uhh actually there are a lot of announced games so the problem is you have bad taste and need to broaden your horizons. Also there's tons of stuff to play on the switch, don't you have a backlog? How can you possibly be melancholy? You're being unfair to my good friend Nintendo!"

Do say: "yeah bro I get you, hate when it's like that. I'm hyped for SMTVV but it's not for everyone. Hope the next direct announces something you vibe with".

I’ve been in Kyoto for over four hours and have not met a single Nintendo employee. They do NOT care about their fans.
I went to Kyoto a few years ago and hung around the closest 7/Eleven to their headquarters at lunchtime. Looked at so many people going in to buy sandwiches thinking, "For all I know they designed the starbits in Mario Galaxy"

I'm surprised that people have nothing hyped for on Switch this year. I have tons. I don't need to make a list to prove that but... I want to!

SMT5 Vengeance
Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble
Tchia
Inazuma Eleven Victory Road
One Piece Odyssey
Ace Combat 7
Trails Through Daybreak
That time I Reincarnated as a Slime
Ys X Nordics
Sonic X Shadow Generations
Shadows of the Damned Hella Remastered
Reynatis
Macross Shooting Insight
Hunter X Hunter Nen x Impact
Epic Mickey Rebrushed
Gundam Breaker 4
Sword Art Online Fractured Daydream
Front Mission 3 remake
Corpse Party II
Fantasy Life i
DECAPOLICE

That's only the lineup from April and I'm not counting all the indie stuff (Plucky Squire!). All we need is Square (Bravely! FFT! DQ3!), Marvelous (Rune Factory! Daemon!), Konami (MGS Vol 2!) and Koei (Atelier! Gust!) on top of these and we're having the best 8th year in the gaming history.

Square finally making Dragon Quest III Remake a real game launching internationally later this year would immensely elevate 2024 for me.

Square finally making Dragon Quest III Remake a real game launching internationally later this year would immensely elevate 2024 for me.

Asano: "Under my supervision, our dev partner could've released the game last year already."

Horii: "laughs Not on my watch, young man!"

I'm surprised that people have nothing hyped for on Switch this year. I have tons. I don't need to make a list to prove that but... I want to!

SMT5 Vengeance
Tchia
One Piece Odyssey
Ace Combat 7
Trails Through Daybreak
Ys X Nordics
Reynatis
Macross Shooting Insight
Epic Mickey Rebrushed
Gundam Breaker 4
Front Mission 3 remake
Corpse Party II
Fantasy Life i
DECAPOLICE

That's only the lineup from April and I'm not counting all the indie stuff (Plucky Squire!). All we need is Square (Bravely! FFT! DQ3!), Marvelous (Rune Factory! Daemon!), Konami (MGS Vol 2!) and Koei (Atelier! Gust!) on top of these and we're having the best 8th year in the gaming history.
A lot of those games look interesting, but to me none of them have that must have, need it now, voraciously hanging on every tweet vibe of, for example, TotK this time last year. It's that feeling that's missing this year.

I still haven’t bought a new game released this year, and I’m not buying the paper Mario remake or the Luigi mansion 2 remake, I’m coasting on backlogged games for the foreseeable future, also I bought 13 sentinel and dmc3 this year and I’ve still not played them. I’m not saying that Nintendo is good or anything, I’m just glad I’m not spending a lot of money this half of the year and so that I can afford the next switch next year.
Also to everyone who missed the Wiiu era Nintendo well you’re now living it, this is how it felt being a wiiu owner for the entire console life

I just finished Dragons Dogma 2 and just started Stellar Blade, but nothing else confirmed for 2024 is really pulling at me after that. I might get TTYD and LM2 eventually. Hellblade 2 I'll probably get, though I'm not over the moon about it. Indiana Jones and Avowed could be good. Then there is Wolf Among Us 2, which I am VERY excited for but also not getting my hopes up about it making this year.

So I'm probably going to be poking into my backlog to figure out what to play next after these back to back BLADE games.

Honestly, this is probably the most bored I've been with Nintendo in over a decade. EPD Tokyo has been MIA since 2017, Donkey Kong and (console) Mario Kart have been MIA since 2014, and pretty much every other franchise I care about is either completely dead or a shadow of its former self.
This sounds like you’ve been bored with Nintendo since 2017

Macross Shooting Insight

You should Keep your money on this one.

The vast majority of the rest has been out on other platforms for a long time. People not getting hype for a full priced port of a game you can get for 5 bucks everywhere else is understandable.

Last edited:

SMT5 Vengeance
Tchia
One Piece Odyssey
Ace Combat 7
Trails Through Daybreak
Ys X Nordics
Reynatis
Macross Shooting Insight
Epic Mickey Rebrushed
Gundam Breaker 4
Front Mission 3 remake
Corpse Party II
Fantasy Life i

The list is (a bit) MEH

Personally, I can't wait to play Paper Mario TTYD, Luigi's Mansion 2 and some indie games.... That's more than enough for me :)

And by then, there'll be a Nintendo Direct.

The list is (a bit) MEH

Personally, I can't wait to play Paper Mario TTYD, Luigi's Mansion 2 and some indie games.... That's more than enough for me :)

And by then, there'll be a Nintendo Direct.
Your taste are (a bit) MEH 🤪

In all seriousness though, there are SO many games coming out every year on Switch I always find it crazy when people are like "nothing to play/that interests me". It's easy to assume everyone who's on message boards like this are on the hardcore side of the gaming scale, but there are clearly people here who only play a handful of Nintendo's big IP and that's all they care about.

The vast majority of the rest has been out on other platforms for a long time. People not getting hype for a full priced port of a game you can get for 5 bucks everywhere else is understandable.
That's why it's important to view Nintendo Switch as a handheld console, not a home console. Because this has been the case since the original Game Boy. Every single Nintendo (and Sony) handheld got ports of games some time after the home consoles and they have always been the inferior versions (Game Boy versions didn't even have colors!)

This sounds like you’ve been bored with Nintendo since 2017
Nah. This is the first year that I can remember where I haven't bought a single first-party release, and there's nothing coming out in the immediate future that interests me. People forget that, during the finals days of their previous home consoles, Nintendo also released handheld games to supplement their dwindling console lineup. When the GameCube was dying, I was too busy enjoying new games like New Super Mario Bros., Elite Beat Agents, Yoshi's Island DS, and Pokémon Diamond and Pearl to care. The Switch 2 delay obviously threw a wrench into their plans, but yes, this is the most "bored" I've been with Nintendo in a long time.

The good news is that Nintendo's third-party support is the best it's ever been, but I would rather buy most of these games on other platforms for the achievements and better performance. I miss the days of third-party exclusives.

My hyped Switch games that we know of so far:

Little Kitty, Big City
Paper Mario
MH Stories
SMT5 Vengeance
Super Monkey Ball
Luigi’s Mansion 2
Rugrats: Adventures in Gameland
Epic Mickey Rebrushed
Funko Fusion
Little Nightmades 3
Plucky Squire

I’m more worried how I’m gonna have time to play all of them. I feel for those who can’t find something to enjoy with what’s been announced so far, hopefully this next direct at least has something for everyone

That's why it's important to view Nintendo Switch as a handheld console, not a home console. Because this has been the case since the original Game Boy. Every single Nintendo (and Sony) handheld got ports of games some time after the home consoles and they have always been the inferior versions (Game Boy versions didn't even have colors!)
While I agree with you in practice, we also now live in the era of the Steam Deck and other portable PC's. Yes, those are a niche within a niche, but on message boards like this you have people who've been holding off playing games like Spiderman 2 and TotK for a year or two hoping for a ps5 pro or an enhanced port/4k bump on the Switch 2. I'm on your side of the table though, that a late port to Switch that lets me take a game on the go and fits my lifestyle is preferable.

Yes I have a SD but I really hate playing games portably on it because it's big and heavy.

While I agree with you in practice, we also now live in the era of the Steam Deck and other portable PC's. Yes, those are a niche within a niche, but on message boards like this you have people who've been holding off playing games like Spiderman 2 and TotK for a year or two hoping for a ps5 pro or an enhanced port/4k bump on the Switch 2. I'm on your side of the table though, that a late port to Switch that lets me take a game on the go and fits my lifestyle is preferable.

Yes I have a SD but I really hate playing games portably on it because it's big and heavy.
It's good thing that the Switch successor will join Steam Deck and other portable PC's next year in having day and date versions of third party games. Now we have the third party wizard Gio Corsi in our ranks, there are now more reasons to hopeful about it.

You're right, it's my taste :)

In all seriousness though, there are SO many games coming out every year on Switch I always find it crazy when people are like "nothing to play/that interests me". It's easy to assume everyone who's on message boards like this are on the hardcore side of the gaming scale, but there are clearly people here who only play a handful of Nintendo's big IP and that's all they care about.

I hope that 3rd parties (I don't count indies) will make more effort when Super Switch comes out, that they won't release their games several years after the other versions.

That way, everyone will play Nintendo games (of course) AND third-party games ;)

That does kinda describe me but only because a lot of the more niche Nintendo stuff I like eventually dies off. ☹️

Elite Beat Agents…

SMT5 Vengeance
Tchia
One Piece Odyssey
Ace Combat 7
Trails Through Daybreak
Ys X Nordics
Reynatis
Macross Shooting Insight
Epic Mickey Rebrushed
Gundam Breaker 4
Front Mission 3 remake
Corpse Party II
Fantasy Life i
DECAPOLICE

There are two games in that list that interest me

Hopefully it's not just Splatoon/Smash thing and they have competitions for older games as well. I want a whole segment just for Mario party mini games!
Last time they brought out SMB Deluxe, I think they’ll have fun with it

Back
Top Bottom