• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

nintendo not being at Gamescom tells me one or both of these two things is true:

1) they’re not happy someone spilled the beans re: privately showing Switch 2 last year
2) they got no major games for the rest of this year

honestly no major games this year just says to me that Switch 2 is gonna have one hell of a launch year
1- Nintendo was furious someone told VGC/Eurogamer, Switch sucessor was shown on Gamescom last year(how dare this pesky journanist leaked our next console existence)

Endless Ocean Luminous is a new first party game releasing this year which was announced this year, just under 3 months out from release.

We had this song and dance last year. Yes, this year Nintendo's line up so far is visibly lower caliber than last year in terms of development resources and new/old ratios (heavily tilted in the latter case), and really that's to be expected. But there was never going to be a magic cut off point ahead of Switch 2 where Switch support flat out stopped because Nintendo aren't going to close the door on the most profitable software market they've ever had before they've even begun to build a new software market on their next system.

Gamescom shouldn't be treated as some death knell for 2024 either; Nintendo skipped it in 2022 when they had a strong slate of brand new exclusives for the whole year, including Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Mario + Rabbids 2 and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet due after Gamescom that year. Despite that strong release schedule, they skipped the event. Whatever logic dictates Nintendo’s participation in Gamescom doesn't seem to be concretely tied to software releases.

Could 2024 be a predominantly Old Shit Year all year? Yes, absolutely. I'm not going to make the claim bangers are coming because the picture for this year was always hazy when we really don't know exactly how Nintendo will treat cross-gen. Personally I'd expect at least a couple of new games and at least one game with 5 million plus potential along with further re-releases.

Endless Ocean Luminous is a new first party game releasing this year which was announced this year, just under 3 months out from release.
Developed by Arika, though; I mean I won't dare wade into the 2nd party partner argument but it's not exactly a game I would say that's made in-house by EPD. I won't claim to understand the machinations of Nintendo Development Studios hierarchy as that thread isn't my jam, but being featured in a PS seems like Nintendo is keeping it at arms length and no closer.

But regardless of the above, it only shows the game is the exception and not the norm compared to the rest of Nintendo's silence which has been causing such aggravation.

If they had no games for the second half of the year, they wouldn’t be releasing Paper Mario and Luigi’s Mansion so close together in the first half

Even if the Switch 2 came out this year, they would still have new Switch games come out this year, because the 3DS had good games in 2017 and 2018, and the switch is way more successful than the 3DS or any other Nintendo system except for the ds

They would have new Switch games come out this year.... that are also playable on Switch 2. The delay of Switch 2 means a delay to said Switch 1 software.

I now believe in the expectation that Nintendo will have a light H2

Because they will want to stay out of the way of Keanu Reeves as Shadow the Hedgehog
They released all the Mario games they had cooking up before sonic movie 3 as to not get overshadowed (ha) by absolute peak

I now believe in the expectation that Nintendo will have a light H2

Because they will want to stay out of the way of Keanu Reeves as Shadow the Hedgehog
They're just preparing their counteroffensive for next Mar10 day when they reveal the new casting additions of the Mario movie sequel

let's rank Daft Punk albums:
1. Discovery
2. Random Access Memories
3. Tron Legacy OST
4. Homework
5. Human After All

everything above Human After All is pretty good
I re-listened to them all because of this post. My ranking:

1. Random Access Memories
2. Discovery
3. Human After All
4. Homework
5. Tron Legacy soundtrack

I listened to Random Access Memories an unhealthy amount of times when it first came out in 2013. It's burned into my brain and a genuine 10/10 album for me. I also associate it with Animal Crossing: New Leaf, weirdly enough, because me listening to it incessantly coincided with the release of that game.

This was 11 years ago, I hate time.

They would have new Switch games come out this year.... that are also playable on Switch 2. The delay of Switch 2 means a delay to said Switch 1 software.
No

Some would be but some like the 3DS ports of Luigi’s mansion or Samus returns would still probably be exclusive to the older generations

They could also just as easily release the cross gen stuff early for switch

Direct opens with brand new DLC for Wonder: Super Mario Bros. Wonder Maker. Expand your game with thousands of user created courses and make your own. Launches on 10/23 for 29.99, alongside a physical release that includes the full game and Wonder Maker for 89.99 on 10/24.

F-Zero GX HD is out on 8/22 featuring online multiplayer.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, a remake of the beloved classic launches on 9/12.

Animal Crossing Party is out on 11/14. Import your villager from your New Horizons save and party locally or online.

WWHD + TPHD release on 7/25, bringing back the Tingle Bottle functionality and featuring it not also on WW but also TP, alongside an update to SSHD that reworks a similar system into the game and a price reduction to 39.99. Available for 39.99 each on the eShop, or 59.99 as a bundle.

Finally, the Direct closes with a shadowdrop of Prime 2 and 3 HD alongside a physical release on 7/25. After announcing them, Shinya Takahashi wraps up the Direct before the feed glitches out into static.

The screen is pitch black before the Retro Studios logo shows up on the screen. After an epic trailer Metroid Prime 4: Subtitle is revealed to be finally releasing on 10/3.
Wind Waker and Twilight Princess gonna be $60 each.

Statements like these are extrmely dumb when the games they make continue to sell
This statement is the one that makes no sense

Hershey’s didn’t do mass advertising until the 70s, despite selling very well for decades before

Marketing is important, but it’s by no means the only thing that’s important

The only reason why Metroid Prime 4 feels like it's taking forever is because Nintendo uncharacteristically announced it as soon as the ink on the contract dried, followed by it getting rebooted with a new studio two years in.

As it is, the current Metroid Prime 4 has been in development for five years (one of which was during the height of COVID), and we got confirmation that development was progressing smoothly 2.5 years into that development cycle. 4-5 years isn't an insane dev cycle these days, so I don't think we have to worry about Retro Studios' progress with the game quite yet.
Completely agree, but another big reason is that we know nothing about it. I think about other (usually western) companies that release development diary video or little teasers about once a year.

Aside from Zelda, we’re not used to really having to wait too long for Nintendo games. Maybe 2 years at most from announcement to release, which ensures a fairly steady stream of info in that time span.

Even Breath of the Wild showed some off-screen footage before Nintendo really started diving into what the game was like.

Prime 4 has nothing so far. Even that original teaser is technically for a Metroid Prime 4 that no longer exists. So, we really only have Retro Studios’ Twitter banner.

It’s probably for the best that they’re not showing us anything until it’s ready, and I know I’ll look back and appreciate that once the game is out. But personally, at this moment, I just want to see the game. Doesn’t even have to come out this year. Just show SOMETHING in 2024.

Imagine if Nintendo doesn't even talk about Metroid Prime 4 in the entirety of 2024, that would be hilarious.

At this point it's the new Duke Nukem Forever, except at the very least, at the flippin' very least, Duke showed its stupid face from time to time, between its engine changes and even the year before its release.

What is the problem with Prime 4 ? Why can't they just -communicate- on the game ? Did Jeff Spangenberg went back to Retro Studios and had some dossier on Shigheru Miyamoto ? Did Fukushima sent some ninjas to the wrong place and now everyone is dead and they replaced the employees with lifeless clones ?

As a Metroid superfan I agree that it hurts, very badly, waiting for Prime 4, and that it's been frustrating with the lack of communication on it. Nearly 7 years since the announcement and all we have is a single image that may or may not be indicative of the final game. Getting Dread and Prime R certainly eased the pain at least.

But I don't think there is any problem with the game. We're at a bit over 5 years since Retro took over which isn't an unusual amount of time to develop a big game these days. This is definitely going to be a short window for reveal to release, much like Dread. The only scenario where it becomes worrisome is if we get to the big Switch 2 games reveal and it's still a noshow. For now I'll continue to Trust the Process.

No

Some would be but some like the 3DS ports of Luigi’s mansion or Samus returns would still probably be exclusive to the older generations

They could also just as easily release the cross gen stuff early for switch

"No!!! Except yes, sometimes."

Ok, whatever you say, I can't wait to see all the big hitters Nintendo is going to reveal for the end of the year. Get people spending lots of money on software a few months before asking them to fork out $300+. :ROFLMAO:

Statements like these are extrmely dumb when the games they make continue to sell
If you're going to quote me, at least make sure I'm still tagged if you want to have a conversation rather than take a pot shot.

The games can continue to sell but that is still no excuse for a lack of communication.

I’d be happy with a year focused on big game remasters from Nintendo tbh, I want everything Ninty on Switch so may as well use this quiet year to drop some more after LM 2 HD

"Germany wide events"=they set up stalls in malls, book fairs and stuff like that. They always do that and their statement basically just says don't worry we'll advertise to you outside of your home

Last edited:
I just realized this is the first Q1 of the switch era where a Nintendo exclusive hasn’t been in either the 80s or 90s on Metacritic

That…..kinda sucks and I think it helps to explain part of the frustration about directs

Developed by Arika, though; I mean I won't dare wade into the 2nd party partner argument but it's not exactly a game I would say that's made in-house by EPD.
The bulk of Nintendo's first party games aren't developed in-house, though. EOL is published by Nintendo, developed by Arika, will certainly at least have EPD producers attached, and is a license co-owned by Arika and Nintendo. It's as first party as Fire Emblem.

Again, I'm not interested in arguing about the line up this year other than to make the obvious point we don't know the full picture, but Endless Ocean Luminous is objectively and entirely a first party game, published by Nintendo in all regions.

This is a little off-topic but do you all think Nintendo is going to do Nintendo Live again in Seattle for PAX West? I don't remember when we found out last year (I think around this time?) but I would be very excited if they do! :)

On the topic, I said this in the dedicated thread but Gamescom and PAX West are a week a part again this year so I could see Nintendo wanting to go to one and not the other to try and avoid a lot of people having information that they can leak, like what happened last year (though I'm not sure if any leaks of that sort came out of PAX). It's just a guess but I generally don't think there is much to look at in terms of Nintendo skipping Gamescom this year as I don't really remember the last time Nintendo had new releases on the showfloor to demo at these conventions (outside of last year with Mario Wonder at Nintendo Live, which makes sense). I mean, they didn't have anything upcoming (I believe) at PAX East so I don't really think them not going means that they don't exactly have anything substantial for the holidays! As this is the Direct Speculation thread though, we will know soon enough once the next Direct airs since that'll more than likely reveal everything else remaining for the year unless they have a September Direct that holds a shadowdrop as well! :D

What happened to all the games Nintendo has been sitting on for years and years and years and-

shifted to Switch 2 as exclusive games to fill up the gaps
it's a new frontier of the Wii U ports to Switch strategy

Quoted by: Ab
They probably will be again at the Connichi in Wiesbaden, an Anime convention. My first time playing Skyrim at all was at the Connichi, when they were still in Kassel. I started skipping Gamescom after i learned that Nintendo had a presence at the event. Sadly they no longer are in Kassel...

They probably will be again at the Connichi in Wiesbaden, an Anime convention. My first time playing Skyrim at all was at the Connichi, when they were still in Kassel. I started skipping Gamescom after i learned that Nintendo had a presence at the event. Sadly they no longer are in Kassel...
I played Wii U at a fair before release too, that was wiiiiiild as a 12 year old

How are we feeling for a Direct this week?

Cause I feel like after Paper Mario en Luigi's Mansion, there isn't anything left.
Still makes me hope Switch 2 could have an announcement, tho.😅

Pyoro or someone else would have already leaked it if it was this week.

April is looking unlikely at this point.

Sometime in May, June, or July will probably have a Direct.

I'll say what nobody else has the courage to: Nintendo will have nothing on their second half of the year because they're afraid of competing with Silksong.

I'll say what nobody else has the courage to: Silksong will fall short to expectations and more than 50% of the fans will still consider Hollow Knight as the better game.

Back
Top Bottom