• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

And then that led to this:

veidai-198842014.jpg

With Silksong and Little Kitty news, it sounds like an Indie World is closer than ever, before the big Direct. And yeah it's gonna be a big one, if they manage to have the epic Silksong shadow drop (still think Little Kitty will outsell it though. It has a CAT).

Silksong feels way too big for an Indie World at this point

never heard of that cat game before but that one looks like a good fit for one sure

They simply don't need an event like gamescom. Also they are not forced to spill the beans because of an investors meeting.
If H2 had no games, then H1 would not have Paper Mario and Luigis Mansion.

"Damn, I cant wait for 2024, it will be the Nintendo year, a lot of unannounced big games for the switch succesor finally"

Nintendo:

Going to need the year long video! Guess I can just play it on loop for many many many months... ;)

Direct opens with brand new DLC for Wonder: Super Mario Bros. Wonder Maker. Expand your game with thousands of user created courses and make your own. Launches on 10/23 for 29.99, alongside a physical release that includes the full game and Wonder Maker for 89.99 on 10/24.

F-Zero GX HD is out on 8/22 featuring online multiplayer.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, a remake of the beloved classic launches on 9/12.

Animal Crossing Party is out on 11/14. Import your villager from your New Horizons save and party locally or online.

WWHD + TPHD release on 7/25, bringing back the Tingle Bottle functionality and featuring it not also on WW but also TP, alongside an update to SSHD that reworks a similar system into the game and a price reduction to 39.99. Available for 39.99 each on the eShop, or 59.99 as a bundle.

Finally, the Direct closes with a shadowdrop of Prime 2 and 3 HD alongside a physical release on 7/25. After announcing them, Shinya Takahashi wraps up the Direct before the feed glitches out into static.

The screen is pitch black before the Retro Studios logo shows up on the screen. After an epic trailer Metroid Prime 4: Subtitle is revealed to be finally releasing on 10/3.

Last edited:
Direct opens with brand new DLC for Wonder: Super Mario Bros. Wonder Maker. Expand your game with thousands of user created courses and make your own. Launches on 10/23 for 29.99, alongside a physical release that includes the full game and Wonder Maker for 89.99 on 10/24.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, a remake of the beloved classic launches on 9/12.

Animal Crossing Party is out on 11/14. Import your villager from your New Horizons save and party locally or online.

WWHD + TPHD release on 7/25, bringing back the Tingle Bottle functionality and featuring it not also on WW but also TP, alongside an update to SSHD that reworks a similar system into the game and a price reduction to 39.99. Available for 39.99 each on the eShop, or 59.99 as a bundle.

Finally, the Direct closes with a shadowdrop of Prime 2 and 3 HD alongside a physical release on 7/25. After announcing them, Shinya Takahashi wraps up the Direct before the feed glitches out into static.

The screen is pitch black before the Retro Studios logo shows up on the screen. After an epic trailer Metroid Prime 4: Subtitle is revealed to be finally releasing on 10/3.

And then you wake up.

They simply don't need an event like gamescom. Also they are not forced to spill the beans because of an investors meeting.
If H2 had no games, then H1 would not have Paper Mario and Luigis Mansion.
What would H1 have then if they were H2? Still barren

Damn I guess Nintendo kinda just has a rough year every four years then, everyone brace yourselves for 2028, the year where all they'll have is OoT remake and nothing else!

nintendo not being at Gamescom tells me one or both of these two things is true:

1) they’re not happy someone spilled the beans re: privately showing Switch 2 last year
2) they got no major games for the rest of this year

honestly no major games this year just says to me that Switch 2 is gonna have one hell of a launch year

People thought that Nintendo has to unveil new hardware because in may they gonna have to deal with the investors.... at the same time, the investors apparently don't care about an (allegedly) empty H2.
This makes no sense. Investors first and foremost care about this holiday season and milking the max out of Switch 1.
Yes they do have an interest in a long term business plan that is reasonable, but they can live very well with a Switch 2 release in the next fiscal year.

Surely this is obvious? Given they allegedly planned to release Switch 2 at the end of this year, how are they going to have major games for Switch 1? We're obviously in for a quiet 6-9 months.
Oh it's possible to still have a solid H2 lineup if

1. They were gonna have some smaller crossgen releases that can now simply launch on Switch first, or
2. The oft-repeated adage of Nintendo sitting on completed games is true and they have some stuff literally just waiting for a gap to fill

In the latter case the WW/TP HD games would qualify, and while diehards would be disappointed in no big new 2witch games the Zeldas would at least sell. Plus there may be new games we haven't even heard of yet.

And in the former case a good (possible) example would be Prime 4, which.. I mean, if Prime 4 finally releases this holiday I doubt many of us will be disappointed in Nintendo's H2 even without new hardware.

Oh it's possible to still have a solid H2 lineup if

1. They were gonna have some smaller crossgen releases that can now simply launch on Switch first, or
2. The oft-repeated adage of Nintendo sitting on completed games is true and they have some stuff literally just waiting for a gap to fill

In the latter case the WW/TP HD games would qualify, and while diehards would be disappointed in no big new 2witch games the Zeldas would at least sell. Plus there may be new games we haven't even heard of yet.

And in the former case a good (possible) example would be Prime 4, which.. I mean, if Prime 4 finally releases this holiday I doubt many of us will be disappointed in Nintendo's H2 even without new hardware.
Prime 4, for a holiday release would make me so happy. Would be an extra bonus if we also got prime 2 and 3.
1500x500

Surely this is obvious? Given they allegedly planned to release Switch 2 at the end of this year, how are they going to have major games for Switch 1? We're obviously in for a quiet 6-9 months.
I said it earlier in this thread, but I doubt Switch 1 software releases were going to just completely stop when the Switch 2 released. Especially if the Switch 2 is backwards compatible.

I said it earlier in this thread, but I doubt Switch 1 software releases were going to just completely stop when the Switch 2 released. Especially if the Switch 2 is backwards compatible.
Wouldn't be surprised if Paper Mario was originally meant to be a gross gen game, same for luigi mansion 2, but were pushed out earlier.
Like, because of the handheld and console division merging, Nintendo thankfully don't need to worry about a drought, like the Wii U.

Plus having prime 4 be the final big switch game, is so fitting and hopefully it succeed and we'll see more Metroid games.

we don’t doubt that Nintendo has software for H2, but we don’t know the magnitude of it, like TOTK and Wonder. It could be full of remakes and remasters.

Tho FE4 is certainly a big game. There’s also the possibility of Pokemon

I genuinely want to look into the benefits of the quick reveal to release strategy that's provided by Nintendo's recent tactics. Stuff like Xenoblade 3, Mario Wonder and the recent stint of shadowdrops... That isn't really normal gaming company behaviour, but it's clearly working to a degree.

I think it must've been something around 2020 that clicked into Nintendo's minds that this was a good idea around the Mario 35th Anniversary celebrations. It probably was as a result of the long reveals to release of BotW, MP4, Bayonetta 3, Pikmin 4 (technically), and TotK. I think, to Nintendo, sitting on games is more productive than having the game in public knowledge but taking a decade and a half to release.

They're not going to reveal a cross-gen game before Switch 2 releases. They'll want to make as big a splash software wise with the latter.

Nintendo has seen what having an amazing first year software wise does for a console. They'll want as many games for year 1 of Switch 2 as possible. If that means a quiet 6 months on the predecessor, so be it.

I've said this already in the dedicated thread but I really don't think Nintendo skipping GC means a lot. They haven't exactly brought new and exciting stuff to Cologne in the past few years either 👀

"June for sure"

June arrives

"Well folks, pack it up. Must be September"

I hate this
September, at best.
Man I wish the Switch was a Wii U failure so they could just at least acknowledge the Switch 2 NG [Redacted] Drake of I'm so Tired of Not Knowing Even the Flippin' Codename of This [PEGI 18] Stupid Console of my [Rated M].

Imagine if Nintendo doesn't even talk about Metroid Prime 4 in the entirety of 2024, that would be hilarious.

At this point it's the new Duke Nukem Forever, except at the very least, at the flippin' very least, Duke showed its stupid face from time to time, between its engine changes and even the year before its release.

What is the problem with Prime 4 ? Why can't they just -communicate- on the game ? Did Jeff Spangenberg went back to Retro Studios and had some dossier on Shigheru Miyamoto ? Did Fukushima sent some ninjas to the wrong place and now everyone is dead and they replaced the employees with lifeless clones ?

Honestly, it would be such a curveball if they do another Animal Crossing Party game opposed to a Mario Party one... One that would actually make a lot of sense for this year if they did want to hold a new Mario Party for the next console...

I genuinely want to look into the benefits of the quick reveal to release strategy that's provided by Nintendo's recent tactics. Stuff like Xenoblade 3, Mario Wonder and the recent stint of shadowdrops... That isn't really normal gaming company behaviour, but it's clearly working to a degree.

I think it must've been something around 2020 that clicked into Nintendo's minds that this was a good idea around the Mario 35th Anniversary celebrations. It probably was as a result of the long reveals to release of BotW, MP4, Bayonetta 3, Pikmin 4 (technically), and TotK. I think, to Nintendo, sitting on games is more productive than having the game in public knowledge but taking a decade and a half to release.
games in general take longer to make so it's probably for the best if they are revealed closer to release imo

Imagine if Nintendo doesn't even talk about Metroid Prime 4 in the entirety of 2024, that would be hilarious.

At this point it's the new Duke Nukem Forever, except at the very least, at the flippin' very least, Duke showed its stupid face from time to time, between its engine changes and even the year before its release.

What is the problem with Prime 4 ? Why can't they just -communicate- on the game ? Did Jeff Spangenberg went back to Retro Studios and had some dossier on Shigheru Miyamoto ? Did Fukushima sent some ninjas to the wrong place and now everyone is dead and they replaced the employees with lifeless clones ?
Don’t disrespect the goat who made the guy game 😔

There’s positive and negative of revealing thing early or near release, like the pre order and the hype surrounding can make a company shit load of money, but the negative is that the expectation becomes so high that it can either ruin the name of a brand or let consumer distrust of their next game, like cyberpunk was technically revealed in 2012.

But if you reveal the game for example later and the release is in about 3 months, like Metroid dread, then there’s less hype and less expectation for said game, which can be extremely positive for the brand. And is a great way to fill out the year.

For example if prime 4 is a 10/10 masterpiece and was worth the wait then that said studio will be covered gold and riches. Because it did the impossible and satisfied the fans who’s been waiting for ages. And will have a loyal fan base who are willing to buy their next game immediately.

We literally had a game come out that was in development for over 10 years and only wasn't cancelled cause of Singapore's government. At this point Prime 4's development isn't that abnormal at all

The only reason why Metroid Prime 4 feels like it's taking forever is because Nintendo uncharacteristically announced it as soon as the ink on the contract dried, followed by it getting rebooted with a new studio two years in.

As it is, the current Metroid Prime 4 has been in development for five years (one of which was during the height of COVID), and we got confirmation that development was progressing smoothly 2.5 years into that development cycle. 4-5 years isn't an insane dev cycle these days, so I don't think we have to worry about Retro Studios' progress with the game quite yet.

games in general take longer to make so it's probably for the best if they are revealed closer to release imo

This. I don't understand what's the point in announcing a game that's coming out in like 1-2 years, only for it to be delayed, cancelled, drastically changed or extremely disappointing.

If they had no games for the second half of the year, they wouldn’t be releasing Paper Mario and Luigi’s Mansion so close together in the first half

Even if the Switch 2 came out this year, they would still have new Switch games come out this year, because the 3DS had good games in 2017 and 2018, and the switch is way more successful than the 3DS or any other Nintendo system except for the ds

Ykw fuck pessimism, Switch 2 statement this week. They're gonna say it's happening next year ahead of the gathering and their pretty busy May. No console, no games, not even a final name, just, "New console will launch next March" and that's it.
the only way to anounce Nintendo next console, without severaly/negatively impacting Switch sales.

+1 support as someone who would be very interested in Kyle Hyde Returns 🙋‍♂️

Today has now been seven months since the last general direct on Sept 14, 2023, and we're really looking down the barrel of no news in the foreseeable future.

No, I don't believe H2 will be empty, but I do believe Nintendo is holding back announcements for no good reason that leaves its fanbase jaded and feral. Would I enjoy an Indie World? Probably, but with no General Direct to prop up announcements, it'll have all the excitement of a flat tire in my eyes. Would I enjoy a p*rtn*r sh*wc*s*e? ...historically no, and even less so if it's on-demand. Twitter direct? The sooner they distance themselves from that cesspool the better, but that doesn't seem likely, and also doesn't solve the problem when they're just dropping news with no fanfare that demands this constant vigil on their socials that has proven tiring.

Nintendo's marketing communication continues to be utterly abhorrent, and with no presence at Gamescom, regardless if they only have ports/remakes, it solidifies my negativity that there will not be any kind of E3-esque event in June. Whether or not I post these thoughts, doesn't make the doom and pessimism in my head any less real. Having to listen to Keighley's corporate bootlicking uninterrupted between May and September (especially when nothing discussed is to my taste if previous TGAs/SGFs are anything to go by, if those titles even come to Switch in the first place) does not instill any confidence in the gaming industry, and that's not even looking at the numerous layoffs and shuttering of developers and studios this year.

Can't even be excited by Old Shit Year™ when nothing released so far has even been announced during OSY.

September 2023:
Paper Mario TTYD HD
Princess Peach
Another Code: Recollection
Mario vs Donkey Kong

June 2023:
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

February 2023
Splatoon 3 Side Order

I think that's what really hurts; none of Nintendo's releases this year have had a reveal this calendar year. I don't know how I could possibly manifest comprehension at NCL/NOA/NOE that there is a way to announce stuff that's less than a year out and also not let it be a shadow drop. The only exception to this rule seems to be Endless Ocean: Luminous, and even then it was farmed out to developer/publisher Arika hence being announced during the February 2024 PS.

It's almost as if...Nintendo fosters this insider/leaker culture they so clearly despise as a direct result from their lack of communication 🤔

Wouldn't be surprised if Paper Mario was originally meant to be a gross gen game, same for luigi mansion 2, but were pushed out earlier.
Like, because of the handheld and console division merging, Nintendo thankfully don't need to worry about a drought, like the Wii U.

Plus having prime 4 be the final big switch game, is so fitting and hopefully it succeed and we'll see more Metroid games.
When Paper Mario was revealed back in September, I could really see Switch 2 coming in May and that coming in July.

I think they'd have Luigi's Mansion 2 HD by October like 1 remake and 3, coupled with a 4 trailer for Switch 2.

I definitely think they did shake up the lineup, and brought stuff forward and back. But if anything we know of a (maybe fall?) 2025 Switch title that's likely to sell 10m+ in no time, so I don't think we should worry about this H2 being empty.

I think it was a gradual change that ultimately only led to amazing results. Odyssey had 1/4 of the reveal to release cycle of BotW and sold almost the same(selling way faster tho), then Smash Ultimate came out with a 9 months reveal to release cycle and did amazingly good, Pokémon was always 6-9 months and always sold well, etc.

Even games that were supposed to be announced like one year from release like Animal Crossing New Horizons got delays, Splatoon 3 ended up releasing later into the summer than originally expected, the whole novel of Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and Tears of the Kingdom...

I'd say that even with Tears they were better, because after the delay announcement they only got to show it 8 months before release with a firm release date.

But seeing the Mario Party games both releasing 4 months after their initial reveal and selling 10/20m copies, testing the waters with shadow drops and it doing good enough with Metroid Prime Remastered, I think everything just culminated in them mostly only announcing games when they're ready to have footage shown and a release date.

I mean, they've gone to the very extreme of communication when they announced they were rebooting the development back in 2019.

Tears of the Kingdom had a teaser shown in 2019 then gone radio silent for 2 years until 2021, then nothing until the delay video and then the proper trailer with release date.

Metroid Prime 4 is just a game that we've known since almost the very beginning of development. They can either do something like Bayonetta 3 or Pikmin 4 and only reveal the game when they're sure it's hitting the next year. Or they can be aiming to do the same they did for Dread, Wonder, Engage, Xenoblade 3, etc and only show the game when it's 4-6 months away, with a trailer that really shows the game and a firm release date. You can't blame them for not showing the game for a while after they revealed it too early and it culminated in a 7 year reveal to re-reveal cycle.

Back
Top Bottom