• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

.Same deal with Kid Icarus: Uprising.... the thing sold over 5 million. That's mega successful. Sakurai has implied in his videos that he wishes the game would be remade/rereleased. These franchises are doomed cause they are one-offs and don't have dedicated studios to them.
where do you get that number? Last know KI Uprising number is around 1.37 millions (as of december 2022). The game was market as a heavy hitters for 3DS (“high budget” revival of an old IP by no other than Sakurai) and it got modest sales. Thats why Nintendo may go with a remaster of 3DS title rather than a full sequel.

After a serious health problem, I'm back from hospital. So.... Where's the next Nintendo Direct to cheer me up? :(
Congrats on getting out and home, and all the best for continued recovery and good health.

The next Direct will be when it will be. Please understand.

bows politely

me rn after finishing unicorn overlord :
1yvVAwh2K76-ZOK4ZA3kGXd_IyA=.gif

I want Metroid prime 2 & 3 remastered
and Zelda wind waker

and after seeing this :

I am starting to believe that we are getting a partner showcase

Why? We've had FB in main directs before

Why? We've had FB in main directs before

Nintendo silence this year remind me of covid days which had a lot of partner showcase and we already got one this year.
+
FB got ESRB rating which can indicate a shadow-drop.

I think switch 2 announcement will come in may with a follow up direct in June with a lot of cross gen announcement.

then again Nintendo investor meeting is on may 7th and it will be strange if they share upcoming first part with only paper Mario and Luigi's mansion dated and a TBD Metroid prime 4.

Nintendo silence this year remind me of covid days which had a lot of partner showcase and we already got one this year.
+
FB got ESRB rating which can indicate a shadow-drop.

I think switch 2 announcement will come in may with a follow up direct in June with a lot of cross gen announcement.

then again Nintendo investor meeting is on may 7th and it will be strange if they share upcoming first part with only paper Mario and Luigi's mansion dated and a TBD Metroid prime 4.
The covid multiple mini partner show cases was out of necessity for an unknown and volatile time. Trying to compare what a company did between March 2020 and June 2021 to any other period of time is irrelevant, throw it out. Nintendo's only been "silent" because of the Switch 2 delay throwing off marketing plans.

FB FotNS was announced in a general direct, and it wasn't a shadow drop. You're taking the ESRB rating and jump 10 steps to "another partner direct soon with FB Miku as a shadow drop" which is just a wild guess on your part. Silksong also got an ESRB rating, and we saw people lose their minds thinking it would be shadow dropped last week in the iii showcase. The only thing you should pull from that rating is the game is being localized (which until the other day was not confirmed).

I’d be ecstatic if we got Prime 4, Fire Emblem remake, Mario Party and maybe DK for half 2. That’s a damn good last holiday for a system.
I think DK and Mario Party won’t come this year, even if they’re finished. Release them just a few months later and they can fill in some gaps in the Switch 2 line up, even if they’re cross gen.

Ultimately, delaying the Switch 2 would have been a move done begrudgingly and Nintendo would have a contingency plan in place to shore up the holiday season in its stead. They wouldn't go "oh well, I guess we'll have nothing for H2." Even the Wii U got one last holiday game in 2016, and that was a dead system. The Switch will likely have a few H2 titles.
i doubt Nintendo will left the second half of the year completely empty, we gonna have games on the second half of the year even if is more remake/remasters(like the highy anticipated/requested, Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD, Metroid Prime 2/3 Remastered and Kid Icarus Uprising HD)

In April 2025 are we going to be back here again with some posters saying "actually Chibi Robo Compilation, Four Swords Adventures HD and Kyle Hyde Returns Is a good line up while we wait for 2026, I am very zen and free from desire" while the wait for the new Switch and the new 3D Mario just drags on and on? I'm a bit fed up now.
Not gonna lie, I'd probably be one of those posters if they gave us Kyle Hyde Returns.

In the topic of prime, what's y'all expectation of how prime will look like, since prime remaster gave us a small glimpse.
Also can we expect Prime 4 to use the same engine as of remaster. Lastly, it's extremely touching and fitting of having prime 4 be the switch swan song, if it come in holiday.
screenshot-2023-02-08-at-5-32-23-pm-1675895704199_kzk5.1080.jpg
Metroid Prime 4 will be Nintendo Switch most impressive and beatiful game, the game will look so good, people will wonder how Switch managed to run the game without exploding, basically a early PS4 game(exactly how Metroid Prime Remastered look)

every console has gaps. It’s not gonna get easier than with Switch 1, considering games take longer and they don’t have Wii U ports to help out.
They don’t need Wii U ports (which they still have some btw). They’ll have even better third party support for the gaps and they can keep porting other Nintendo systems title to Switch 2. Yeah they’ll be fine

They don’t need Wii U ports (which they still have some btw). They’ll have even better third party support for the gaps and they can keep porting other Nintendo systems title to Switch 2. Yeah they’ll be fine
The sheer fact that they delayed it, apparently because of software, shows that they care a lot about having a substantial 1st party line up ready, and I’m pretty sure that includes titles like a new Mario Party which, if it launched this year, would take them another 3-4 years to make.

I’m surprised how you often use of the word will, as in they will have better 3rd party support (or some time ago, Pyoro will talk about the Direct this weekend). I don’t think all of that is guaranteed or even that important to them. I’m pretty sure they would do a lot to have as many 1st party games there as possible. If I were them, I wouldn’t care a dime about the second half of this year, with game development taking longer and longer, especially at that level of polish and detail. But maybe I’m wrong!

I wonder when we'll learn as to why the Switch 2 was delayed from late 2024 to early 2025, and it's gonna be funny if it wasn't software related, and if it really was software related, it wasn't because of the video games pipine and lineup, but rather because of OS or something like that

In the topic of prime, what's y'all expectation of how prime will look like, since prime remaster gave us a small glimpse.
Also can we expect Prime 4 to use the same engine as of remaster. Lastly, it's extremely touching and fitting of having prime 4 be the switch swan song, if it come in holiday.
screenshot-2023-02-08-at-5-32-23-pm-1675895704199_kzk5.1080.jpg

Prime 4 will look absolutely incredible visually, and will 100% run on the RUDE engine, as all their games have.

It's weird. It's been so long since Prime 3 that I have a hard time picturing Prime 4. Remastered does help, for sure, but it was all environments I had seen before just way more beautiful.

I picture the arm cannon and the HUD and then... that's it. I completely blank after that.

I wonder if Prime 4 will play it safe like Prime 1 (grass, snow, lava, sand, etc.) or will we get stuff like Skytown and Sanctuary Fortress? I have zero doubt that the game will be a technical marvel, but I just can't make a visual of it in my brain.

Retro still have a lot of artists that worked on the old games, so I'm hopeful that it will have the same vibe as the other games. But yeah, it's kinda hard to imagine anything about the game when all we have to go off of after nearly 7 years is a single image that may not even be indicative of the final game.

I've been thinking Nintendo might have a Mario 40th campaign to coincide with the launch of Switch 2, if anything because two big Mario launches (3D Mario and Mario Kart) will happen to be the tentpole releases for that year. If they have a Donkey Kong game in the works, which I think is becoming increasingly clear isn't going to be a thing this year, they could tie that into the celebration. Mario Party feels more like a Year 2 game but maybe it could be a March 2026 release before the celebration year officially ends.

It would be cool if Nintendo did a revival of amiibo with Mario Kart. Ditch the bases, the amiibo will be the Karts themselves with interchangeable pilots like the Monster Hunter Stories amiibo.

I've been thinking Nintendo might have a Mario 40th campaign to coincide with the launch of Switch 2, if anything because two big Mario launches (3D Mario and Mario Kart) will happen to be the tentpole releases for that year. If they have a Donkey Kong game in the works, which I think is becoming increasingly clear isn't going to be a thing this year, they could tie that into the celebration. Mario Party feels more like a Year 2 game but maybe it could be a March 2026 release before the celebration year officially ends.

It would be cool if Nintendo did a revival of amiibo with Mario Kart. Ditch the bases, the amiibo will be the Karts themselves with interchangeable pilots like the Monster Hunter Stories amiibo.
Not a big campaign but definitely an acknowledgment, sorta like the 30th anniversary, a happy accident

every console has gaps. It’s not gonna get easier than with Switch 1, considering games take longer and they don’t have Wii U ports to help out.
Oh on the contrary

Setting the oft-mentioned WW/TP ports aside, there's still the fantastic Yoshi's Wooly World. And Xenoblade X as a holiday release would have me running through the fields singing like Julie Andrews.

Oh on the contrary

Setting the oft-mentioned WW/TP ports aside, there's still the fantastic Yoshi's Wooly World. And Xenoblade X as a holiday release would have me running through the fields singing like Julie Andrews.
And they still have ton of GC/Wii/3DS games they can remake/remaster.

Oh on the contrary

let’s not forget the oft-maligned goat Paper Mario: Color Splash

and frankly I’d play Kirby & the Rainbow Curse with gyro

and Pushmo…

and even Star Fox Zero…

and Pushmo…

and even Star Fox Zero…
I'd love a Color Splash port, I just didn't really expect it'd happen in the same year as TTYD, but it aughta come over. Star Fox Zero is another one I'd love to see make the juno but I'd be curious to see how they handle the dual-screen situation. If they handle it the same way Splatoon 2 "solved" their 2-screen problem I don't think I'm gonna like it 😅

Prime 4 will look absolutely incredible visually, and will 100% run on the RUDE engine, as all their games have.
There's something so weird of Prime 4 being the switch final big title and also being it's swansong, which for me is absolutely fitting and this time around Prime will be in successful system.

There's something so weird of Prime 4 being the switch final big title and also being it's swansong, which for me is absolutely fitting and this time around Prime will be in successful system.
One of the first games announced, one of the last games released. Kind of amazing, especially when you consider how long this gen has been.

One of the first games announced, one of the last games released. Kind of amazing, especially when you consider how long this gen has been.
The beginning of the end, the finale of the beginning. And especially a graphics and performance showcaser, in two years of phenomenal demonstrations of what Nitnendo can do:
  • TOTK showed a magnificent graphics and open world experience
  • Mario Wonder displayed their endless creativity
  • Prime 4 would demonstrate the beauty that can be gotten from Switch graphics

Color Splash is a great game "story & music" and I love how they keep adding instrument in overworld music each time you defeat a boss

Can’t wait until we see this title drop as a remake. Surprised they have not done it yet, to be honest. This was such a fun adventure, being remade it could add to the catalogue of Nintendo games and garner a new fan base. i could see it being a once a console type of game.
images

Can’t wait until we see this title drop as a remake. Surprised they have not done it yet, to be honest. This was such a fun adventure, being remade it could add to the catalogue of Nintendo games and garner a new fan base. i could see it being a once a console type of game.
images
Except this time instead of locking progression behind something in the instruction booklet they could do like a website integration or something, then shut the website down after a year or so to simulate the experience my friend and I went through trying to play the game having lost the booklet! 😎

and Pushmo…

and even Star Fox Zero…
All of this would make for a pretty goated Direct, where do I sign for it?

We are less than 3 weeks away from Endless Ocean and less than 6 weeks away from Paper Mario. Let’s get some speculation going, this week are we getting:

A: Endless Ocean trailer only
B: Paper Mario trailer only
C: Trailers for both
D: No Trailers + Silence
E: Something Else??

We are less than 3 weeks away from Endless Ocean and less than 6 weeks away from Paper Mario. Let’s get some speculation going, this week are we getting:

Frankly I have no clue how to interpret the current state of this company man... We're likely going to get another Paper Mario trailer soon-ish, we've already gotten an Endless Ocean trailer recently and we're most likely going to get more news in the week/s prior to launch.

We're 3 weeks off the Financial briefing in May and we might actually get news on something interesting but we're currently in purgatory. God can something happen for the love of god:

stages-of-grief-charts-2.jpg

,,With no direct in sight and the Delay of the Switch 2, Famiboard has reached the bottomless pit of despair''
images

direct speculation gets kinda quietwild when there’s very little direct to speculate about, huh

Sq8fcIN.jpeg

I’m feeling some big speculation energy this fine Sunday afternoon for me so screw it let’s go. I always ultimately roll with my gut for these things, so I’m currently strongly considering either April 30th or May 7th for the next Direct with this week getting an Endless Ocean trailer. I have some conflicting thoughts here so let’s get them out.

Internal Switch 2 delay - if our insider timeline holds, this was largely committed to in February which lead to a last minute reshuffling of the Partner Showcase date. How much this affected the content of the show is unclear, but what I want to focus on is a lot of the games shown had tight turnaround release date times with some of them, perhaps most notably with Star Wars Battlefront (a big multiplatform release), less than one month out.

More than any other factor or pattern with Nintendo shows, there is ostensibly a deadline for these things based off the release schedule of their own and partners. Whenever the release schedule starts to dry up that’s when a show is ever more likely to appear. Currently then we are good through June on both the Nintendo and third party fronts, but once we hit July we have Trails Through Daybreak (which is going to be awesome) and then things fall off a steep cliff. Considering the tight turnaround of the last show, early June is really the latest I think we can possibly go, but hold that thought.

Switch 2 delay zoomed out - Ok Switch is allegedly internally delayed, what does that mean for this year. Well, obviously that means we’re staring down another Switch 1 holiday. I think there’s two major factors to consider here then: what the year looks like and how it should be presented to be effective. We had conversations here the last few days expecting a dead back half of the year. Nah we are good. I can’t exactly of course pin down what games are filling in the back of the year, but thinking the back of the year will be dead is an idea I can’t get behind. Prior to Switch, Nintendo had their home consoles and their handhelds, if one wasn’t getting as much love the either was which is especially noticeable during transition years. People are looking at the end of both Wii and Wii U for how the Switch will end when we should be looking at PS3 to PS4 and PS4 to PS5. Switch 2’s release was never going to fully cut off Switch 1 games as Nintendo needs to build up an install base on Switch 2 first before fully transitioning as Nintendo has no other ecosystem to lean into anymore. It also just makes sense as while there are clearly big games that will be Switch 2 only, new 3D Mario / Mario Kart 10 etc., a lot of Nintendo games don’t really need a ton of power to shine bright. Stuff that was going to be cross gen / was going to be on both systems this year, will just be on Switch and that’s fine. If Nintendo is feeling pressure, they can also dip harder into rereleases that they might have saved for later to make Switch’s extra final holiday more substantial.

Next Direct - This next show has two primary jobs imo if it’s going to be effective. One it should of course fill out the release calendar as normal, but two it has to make this year seem as appealing as possible in the absence of Switch 2. I was pretty onboard the mid April train heading into this thread because I felt it was important to do that as soon as possible, but now I’m wondering if part of the reason they were holding back was to sort of reset expectations a bit. If you look back at the last show in September it ended with the sizzle reel that was filled with a good number of things that had been floating for a while. I wonder if they looked at that sizzle reel and that show overall and thought well hmm, maybe that was a bit boring?

So I’m sort of sitting here then thinking they have two competing goals to make an exciting show with fresh games and doing that in a timely fashion against the needs of a release calendar that’s drying up. The third goal of course is to give their immediate line up some love, but that wasn’t prioritized in February and maybe that’s just the case again here. But I’d like to think April 30th or the May 7th week has a good shot here at achieving as much of this as possible. If you go in early May in particular, you can still give Paper Mario some big attention and if Endless Ocean has any kind of updates planned you can give it a shout there. Get the Summer schedule filled in then as people are going to be looking ahead and make the case for the holidays.

Except this time instead of locking progression behind something in the instruction booklet they could do like a website integration or something, then shut the website down after a year or so to simulate the experience my friend and I went through trying to play the game having lost the booklet! 😎

lol yea i spent so long trying to figure out what i had missed (hours of backtracking). I actually got the answer how to progress on fami boards.

Back
Top Bottom