• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Pokemon being 2025 makes me inclined to believe that Metroid Prime 4 is the big game this year.

If Nintendo saves Pokemon and 3D Mario as Switch 2 launch titles, that is an insanely powerful and smart move.

However, if Metroid Prime 4 is also a launch title, exclusive or not, then Nintendo just shot Prime 4’s sales in the foot.

Prime 4, imo, needs to be the uncontested focus whenever it launches. Sure there can be other games coming out around the same time, but they should be stuff like Fire Emblem or Mario Party. Not 3D Mario and Pokemon.

Nintendo should just go all in on the ports this year

Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World Deluxe
Donkey Kong Country Returns HD
Wind Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
Metroid Prime 2 HD
Metroid Prime 3 HD
F-Zero GX HD
Kid Icarus Uprising HD
Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War remake
Pokemon NSO app with classic titles and Home compatibility

All great games that people want to revisit, and people who only have a Switch should have access to

The alternative is the usual Nintendo late-gen slop

Metroid isn't as terrible of a seller as people think it is. It doesn't push Mario numbers but it also doesn't sell like 20 copies per entry. I think most franchises would be thrilled to have multiple games that sold at least a million units like Metroid does.

Also, contrary to popular belief, Nintendo is unlikely ever to just drop Metroid forever due to sales. The reason entries are infrequent is because either technology or the lack of dedicated teams held them back over the years.

That said, if Metroid Prime 4 has a holiday release slot this year, the series will probably have its best shot at sales ever.

Last edited:
Nintendo should just go all in on the ports this year

Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World Deluxe
Donkey Kong Country Returns HD
Wind Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
Metroid Prime 2 HD
Metroid Prime 3 HD
F-Zero GX HD
Kid Icarus Uprising HD
Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War remake
Pokemon NSO app with classic titles and Home compatibility

All great games that people want to revisit, and people who only have a Switch should have access to

The alternative is the usual Nintendo late-gen slop
MARIO GALAXY 2

As a huge Metroid fan I will be VERY surprised if a Metroid game ever breaks 5 million, and both Mario Party games on Switch have sold over 12 million. Mario Party is not the series you want it to go up against.
Metroid Dread and Mario Party both released in October of 2021, and Dread is the best selling Metroid game. So it’s possible

Metroid Dread and Mario Party both released in October of 2021, and Dread is the best selling Metroid game. So it’s possible
Most series releasing on Switch have their best selling entries. I'm just saying one of those did far, far better. Not that Metroid sold poorly mind you, but that maybe the series could use better release timings on Switch.

Most series releasing on Switch have their best selling entries. I'm just saying one of those did far, far better. Not that Metroid sold poorly mind you, but that maybe the series could use better release timings on Switch.
Yeah I definitely don’t expect Prime 4 to outsell any entry in those other franchises I mentioned. I’m just saying that Prime 4 is practically ‘doomed’ if released alongside Pokemon and 3D Mario.

Absolutely it could use better release timings. And what better timing then a holiday season that was originally supposed to have a console launch in it that has now been pushed back?

Obviously there is potential that Pokemon isn’t even a launch title for Switch 2, but currently it just feels right to assume it is. Maybe it’s 3D Mario and Prime 4? I dunno.

But to me, based purely on what we know right now, Prime 4 is better as the Switch 1’s swan song.

Then maybe a deluxe version on Switch 2 in 2-3 years. That’d be cool

I agree with that. I don’t really believe in the theory that Nintendo is panicking after deciding to postpone the switch 2. As you say very well, it’s not at all like them not to have an alternative solution to deal with all eventualities.

That’s why I find it exciting to try to guess what they’re going to do. With Nintendo it’s all about allocating resources.

There are certainly games that are not ready yet, there are certainly games that must be exclusives to push the next console.

Apart from that, what will be absolutely exciting to follow in the coming weeks is to see how Nintendo will manage what it has in stock. We all have in mind about fifteen titles candidates for ports or remasters.

But it is a resource that will be useful throughout the lifecycle of switch 2 as the Wii U ports have been useful throughout the lifecycle of switch 1. That’s why I personally think that for the second half of 2024 we will have a mix between titles that In any case also had to come out on switch 1 whatever happens and ports. But neither only one nor only the other.
Yeah, that's exactly where I'm at!!

I think Switch 2 will do great with what it'll have next year(specially after the delay), so H2 this year can have a mix of stuff that wouldn't push hardware, with stuff that will sell greatly throughout the next console life even if released before it and stuff that's niche and would sell on a big install base but be burned on a year with a handful of blockbusters(like 2025 is looking to be with Pokémon Legends and almost surely Mario and Mario Kart).
These two games could’ve been set in stone before the Switch 2 delay. I honestly don’t think Nintendo would care a lot about having a nearly empty H2. It doesn’t make a big difference imo.
I don't think that's the case when we just basically saw Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Splatoon 3 swapping months in 2022.

Also, in 2020, Nintendo released Pikmin 3 DX as its October game, and that was supposed to have come in the spring per insiders.

I don't think they'd just release 3 undated games in 2 months(with one of them unannounced) if they felt like they'd have nothing for fall.
This right here, they won’t really start marketing the console until near the end of the year anyway, so why try splitting the audience’s attention between a stellar lineup and what comes next?

Genuinely, I believe Prime 4 is the only realistic H2 game we can expect that isn’t an easy port or remake.
I don't think it works like that specially when in 2016 they released a megaton for 3DS in Pokémon Sun and Moon and basically waited until the last minute to reveal the Switch.

Nintendo sells best on holiday months and not having stuff to sell in the last quarter of the year is something they definitely wouldn't do. They won't just think they'll get everything back next year and kill the last holiday season of their best selling console when they absolutely don't need to.

Metroid Prime 4 can be heavily marketed as the holiday title, just like Dread was, but that year also had Pokémon remakes and Mario Party. I think we see Donkey Kong or Mario Party this year as well.
From November 4th 2023 to July 1st 2024, they released/have scheduled 2-3 original games (Princess Peach, Endless Ocean, and Side Order) and released/have scheduled 5 remakes (SMRPG, Another Code, Mario vs. DK, TTYD, Luigi's Mansion 2) so it has been pretty remake heavy for a minute here, lol.
We can say the same thing about January 2018 until August 2018 when they released Bayonetta 1+2, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker as ports and only Kirby Star Allies, Labo and Mario Tennis as new games.

January-July 2021 was super port heavy too with that period being carried by 3D World + Bowser's Fury and Skyward Sword HD.

But the second half and holiday months of those years were absolutely stacked.

The only thing I question about this, and I don't question it very much, is that if the 2witch delay is real then that means the sizable releases being prepped for H2 2024 were sizable 2witch games. So if we aren't getting those, then.. what is gonna pop up in that slot? Some of those oft-mentioned sat-on games that Nintendo has completed and are just waiting to release? That's all I can think of. Unless there were already gonna be some Switch games hitting this holiday alongside the 2witch and its games, which sounds.. I mean, possible, but they wouldn't be sizable.
I believe that before the delay they were expecting to release the console with 3D Mario as an exclusive (September maybe?) and a new IP(maybe Monolith Soft? December?) and heavily rely on cross gen stuff until Mario Kart by next spring (6 months later). I do wonder if Fire Emblem 4 Remake and DK were expected to come to Switch only this summer and receive patches later, but afterwards got positioned as August-December releases. The other way around could also have happened, like them planning to sit on DK until early next year(because the holidays would already be packed with 3D Mario, new IP(exclusives), Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Party (cross gen).

They were expecting to release both hardware and a megaton(3D Mario) in the fall, but that isn't happening anymore, so to not pass the holidays without big software sales, they'll delay stuff that would come in the summer, maintain stuff that was meant for fall(Mario Party? Metroid Prime 4?) and possibly push forward stuff that would be cross gen anyways but come next year because the fall would be packed before the delay(Donkey Kong? Metroid Prime 4? 2D Zelda?).

I will once again recall how amazing September-November of 2019 and 2022 were, despite the biggest games coming in that timeframe being delayed(Animal Crossing New Horizons and Tears of the Kingdom).
the Zelda HAGIs will sell more than Donkey Kong would've anyway
Why make Zelda HAGI ports when they have remasters on Wii U already tho 😭.

But... I gotta say that DKCTF sold more than SSHD on Switch... And I believe a brand new DK game can sell in the same range as Returns Wii+3DS or the first game(~10m) so pretty much better than the best Zelda ever sold before BotW.
Pokemon being 2025 makes me inclines to believe that Metroid Prime 4 is the big game this year.

If Nintendo saves Pokemon and 3D Mario as Switch 2 launch titles, that is an insanely powerful and smart move.

However, if Metroid Prime 4 is also a launch title, exclusive or not, then Nintendo just shot Prime 4’s sales in the foot.

Prime 4, imo, needs to be the uncontested focus whenever it launches. Sure there can be other games coming out around the same time, but they should be stuff like Fire Emblem or Mario Party. Not 3D Mario and Pokemon.
Yeah, I'm kinda split on that. I often think that being cross gen would benefit the game, and that maybe coming on the last holiday of a console with another one coming shortly after can harm it, BUT, I don't think that releasing in spring 2025 between 3D Mario and Mario Kart can help it in any way.
Both Fire Emblem and especially Mario Party would probably outsell Prime 4
Mario Party definitely, but the Fire Emblem we're talking about is a 4 remake, and so far only Three Houses(which sold exceptionally well, 4m+) and Fates sold more than Prime(OG) and Dread. It's a more consistent seller because it has more regular releases tho, which is a big plus.

But Engage sold pretty much in line with Prime Remastered, tho we have to see where both ended. I think holiday spot and heavy marketing can make Prime 4 a 4m seller, just like it made Dread a 3m seller.
As a huge Metroid fan I will be VERY surprised if a Metroid game ever breaks 5 million, and both Mario Party games on Switch have sold over 12 million. Mario Party is not the series you want it to go up against.
But Metroid isn't really running against Mario Party, the releases are complementary, each appeal to a different demographic. It worked pretty well in 2021 when they released Dread and Superstars on the same month.

3D Mario tho is very core gamer appealing, and Mario Kart is everyone appealing, so I don't think releasing near to those on a console launch when the install base is tiny is a good idea...
Metroid isn't as terrible of a seller as people think it is. It doesn't push Mario numbers but it also doesn't sell like 20 copies per entry. I think most franchises would be thrilled to have multiple games that sold at least a million units like Metroid does.

Also, contrary to popular belief, Nintendo is unlikely ever to just drop Metroid forever due to sales. The reason entries are infrequent is because either technology or the lack of dedicated teams held them back over the years.

That said, if Metroid Prime 4 has a holiday release slot this year, the series will probably have its best shot at sales ever.
Yeah, I think holiday 2024 is the absolute best time to release it, UNLESS Switch active base craters which is definitely not what the last FY sales, software sales and more tell us. There was a lot of the same feeling back in 2022 and early 2023, people were thinking that Switch by holiday 2023 would be like Wii in 2012, Wii U in 2017 or something. But last year it was still looking like peak on software sales of TotK and Wonder, and hardware sales nowhere near anything really on its 7th year. At the very very worst we're getting to 3DS 2016 or PS3 2013 or PS4 2020 in terms of potential of software sales, so a very good term since best sellers from those consoles came out shortly before their successors.

I'm not saying that MP4 can be compared to TLOU and Pokémon and where releasing mere months before the successor is gonna make it the best selling game on the platform tho, but I believe Nintendo will be more careful, I mean, they only revealed Switch late October 2016 and I believe it's probably because they were worried about 3DS holiday sales.

I will say that we genuinely don't actually know when this console was internally delayed compared to when the news broke. As we are talking about first party stuff for the Switch this year, it's very possible that Nintendo knew by September or November of last year that the software post-launch (not necessarily 3D Mario or Mario Kart but maybe a new Star Fox that they had planned for the summer) wouldn't be ready for the original date and then more and more games did seem out of reach or needed an additional six months. Due to this, it's very possible that, while Nintendo did likely have to adjust their holiday plans, this likely did happen fairly close to them knowing that they'd need to move the hardware to next year and so I wouldn't be worried that they don't have anything big for this holiday.

It's possible that by the time we get to Nintendo's big Switch game of the year (whatever it may be), they can say that the game will be playable on next-generation hardware and so, I don't really think that will be an issue. Similarly, Nintendo had to at least had one larger game planned for this holiday that would've been playable on Switch, even if it was cross-gen, and that probably still releases this year since whatever this game is something Nintendo felt would be a holiday seller and it probably is okay that it doesn't launch with new hardware out there.

I personally wouldn't worry about what the lineup will actually end up looking like because, at least from my perspective, Nintendo does know what they are doing and they inevitably had a backup plan. I was actually kind of worried originally when the April Direct was removed off the table but I actually see it as a good thing now because I think Nintendo can genuinely have one more great General Direct for Switch 1 and I honestly kind of think if there was an April Direct, they would've been splitting their marketing material between that Direct and the summer, which could have led to a dry spell of a week or two here or there where nothing would be happening from the social media end. I think a June Direct will help to ensure that marketing can be continuous throughout the summer and I honestly would rather have a slow period now than in the second half of the year on that front! :D

I will say that we genuinely don't actually know when this console was internally delayed compared to when the news broke. As we are talking about first party stuff for the Switch this year, it's very possible that Nintendo knew by September or November of last year that the software post-launch (not necessarily 3D Mario or Mario Kart but maybe a new Star Fox that they had planned for the summer) wouldn't be ready for the original date and then more and more games did seem out of reach or needed an additional six months. Due to this, it's very possible that, while Nintendo did likely have to adjust their holiday plans, this likely did happen fairly close to them knowing that they'd need to move the hardware to next year and so I wouldn't be worried that they don't have anything big for this holiday.

It's possible that by the time we get to Nintendo's big Switch game of the year (whatever it may be), they can say that the game will be playable on next-generation hardware and so, I don't really think that will be an issue. Similarly, Nintendo had to at least had one larger game planned for this holiday that would've been playable on Switch, even if it was cross-gen, and that probably still releases this year since whatever this game is something Nintendo felt would be a holiday seller and it probably is okay that it doesn't launch with new hardware out there.

I personally wouldn't worry about what the lineup will actually end up looking like because, at least from my perspective, Nintendo does know what they are doing and they inevitably had a backup plan. I was actually kind of worried originally when the April Direct was removed off the table but I actually see it as a good thing now because I think Nintendo can genuinely have one more great General Direct for Switch 1 and I honestly kind of think if there was an April Direct, they would've been splitting their marketing material between that Direct and the summer, which could have led to a dry spell of a week or two here or there where nothing would be happening from the social media end. I think a June Direct will help to ensure that marketing can be continuous throughout the summer and I honestly would rather have a slow period now than in the second half of the year on that front! :D
This is assuming the delay was software related and not something else.

I'm noticing a lot of people aren't understanding I'm still expecting 4-5 titles in H2, so let me give you my base expectations, pretty much worst case scenario:

• Prime 2+3 launch sometime in the Summer, maybe Prime 2 shadow drop at the next Direct and 3 dropping in July or August alongside a physical 2 pack
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns gets an HD remaster, out in September. They need some marketing for the theme park but are probably making new DK for the next console. Perfect since the park is themed around Returns, a la the first park kinda being themed around 3D World, which was clearly planned to launch around the time of the park's opening
  • FE4 remake launches early October, that's definitely a Switch title
  • Wind Waker OR Twilight Princess HD come out in late October. Easy yearly Zelda, and they'll definitely save whichever one isn't picked for a gap in the future
  • Prime 4 in November, the final from Nintendo this year

This is where I'm at, but if we got a brand new DK, a (good) Mario Party, and like, a Kirby spinoff, this would probably be one of, if not my favourite holiday lineups on Switch, I just don't wanna get too excited.

i know some of yall are jonesing for Prime 4 but to say it being a Switch 2 launch window title would somehow hurt sales is to put it lightly to avoid being mean, uneducated guesswork

All I know is that, regardless of when it releases, we're going to have threads wondering if Metroid Prime 4's sales are "disappointing" unless it moves 5 million copies in its first month.

One thing to keep in mind is that Switch 1 support was unlikely to just stop the second the Switch 2 came out. The Switch 2 getting pushed back half a year probably didn't change Switch 1 software output that much. Think about how 3DS games continued to release for a couple of years after the Switch came out; I think that similarly, Switch 1 titles were probably still going to be releasing, especially if they'd be playable on the new hardware. The reason previous platforms ceased software production immediately as the new console released was because they were essentially abandoning ship. The Wii U, for instance, had no future whatsoever by the time the Switch came out. I don't think the internal Switch 2 delay is going to be as severe as a shake-up as people might think, in terms of Switch 1 software releases.

I just hope we get a Switch 2 acknowledgement and release window soon. The Switch 2 is such a big piece speculating Nintendo that it feels like we are navigating in the dark with out that key information. I do not think Nintendo is in any trouble at all, but as a fan of predicting and speculating this company. I would be lying if I said this period of them pretending that the Switch 2 doesn't exist is frustrating. I almost want sales of Switch to fall off a cliff but I'm not that cynical lol

I'm going to be fully honest with everyone here, my discussion about Metroid Prime 4 being/not being a Switch 2 launch title is entirely based on my desire for it to release this year so that I don't have to wait any longer.

Please just blindly agree with me so that we can will it into existence.

One thing to keep in mind is that Switch 1 support was unlikely to just stop the second the Switch 2 came out. The Switch 2 getting pushed back half a year probably didn't change Switch 1 software output that much. Think about how 3DS games continued to release for a couple of years after the Switch came out; I think that similarly, Switch 1 titles were probably still going to be releasing, especially if they'd be playable on the new hardware. The reason previous platforms ceased software production immediately as the new console released was because they were essentially abandoning ship. The Wii U, for instance, had no future whatsoever by the time the Switch came out. I don't think the internal Switch 2 delay is going to be as severe as a shake-up as people might think, in terms of Switch 1 software releases.
The only puzzling thing with that is why wasn't there a normal February direct if Switch 1 was going to basically have a "normal" year of software. My best guess is that the summer was always going to be port/remake heavy and didn't need a full direct to promote?

In the topic of prime, what's y'all expectation of how prime will look like, since prime remaster gave us a small glimpse.
Also can we expect Prime 4 to use the same engine as of remaster. Lastly, it's extremely touching and fitting of having prime 4 be the switch swan song, if it come in holiday.
screenshot-2023-02-08-at-5-32-23-pm-1675895704199_kzk5.1080.jpg

The only puzzling thing with that is why wasn't there a normal February direct if Switch 1 was going to basically have a "normal" year of software. My best guess is that the summer was always going to be port/remake heavy and didn't need a full direct to promote?
Nintendo had announced its strongest games for H1 already and thus did not want to leave people frustrated with a lack of surprise intro and outro.

In the topic of prime, what's y'all expectation of how prime will look like, since prime remaster gave us a small glimpse.
Also can we expect Prime 4 to use the same engine as of remaster. Lastly, it's extremely touching and fitting of having prime 4 be the switch swan song, if it come in holiday.
It's weird. It's been so long since Prime 3 that I have a hard time picturing Prime 4. Remastered does help, for sure, but it was all environments I had seen before just way more beautiful.

I picture the arm cannon and the HUD and then... that's it. I completely blank after that.

I wonder if Prime 4 will play it safe like Prime 1 (grass, snow, lava, sand, etc.) or will we get stuff like Skytown and Sanctuary Fortress? I have zero doubt that the game will be a technical marvel, but I just can't make a visual of it in my brain.

Retro's used the same in-house engine for all their games (updated over the years, obviously), so I expect Prime 4 will be no different there

Graphically, I expect it to be impressive. My guess is the first time they show it, most people's reactions will be "well that must surely be running on Switch 2" and then when it comes out, nope, it just looks like that on the current Switch because Retro's just that good

It's been so long since Prime 3 that I have a hard time picturing Prime 4.
It's going to be a genuinely surreal experience when we finally see it. Like you said, it's hard for me to picture what it looks like, and it's been 7 years at this point. I've had countless dreams about it, I've probably spent collective days of my life (by sheer hour amount) thinking about it; it's totally possible I'll get emotional when I finally see it.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Mario Party definitely, but the Fire Emblem we're talking about is a 4 remake, and so far only Three Houses(which sold exceptionally well, 4m+) and Fates sold more than Prime(OG) and Dread. It's a more consistent seller because it has more regular releases tho, which is a big plus.

But Engage sold pretty much in line with Prime Remastered, tho we have to see where both ended. I think holiday spot and heavy marketing can make Prime 4 a 4m seller, just like it made Dread a 3m seller.
Personally, I don't really think FE4R being... well, a FE4 remake has any bearing on its sales potential. imo a good FE4 remake definitely has what it takes to recapture that mainstream appeal Engage lacked, especially since this game will mark the (probably?) long-awaited return of marriage and children mechanics, among other positives for greater mainstream appeal (dark/mature/grounded story and characters/character designs, timeskip, massive scope, etc). I mean, even Echoes sold 1m pre-Three Houses despite releasing after the Switch released as a 3ds exclusive without any way to play it on Switch, among other issues affecting its sales. Not only will FE4R likely be releasing prior to Switch 2, but it'll likely also be playable on Switch 2 anyway.

Plus, given Engage's... lesser sales, the Switch is really lacking its "Fates" equivalent in terms of having a second big seller that acts as a "proper" follow-up to the debut FE on the platform. And even if FE4R doesn't sell quite as well as 3H (i.e. 4m+) than I still think it could do at least 3m+, just like Metroid Dread.

Last edited:
It's going to be a genuinely surreal experience when we finally see it. Like you said, it's hard for me to picture what it looks like, and it's been 7 years at this point. I've had countless dreams about it, I've probably spent collective days of my life (by sheer hour amount) of thinking about it; it's totally possible I'll get emotional when I finally see it.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Totally understand. I feel the same. I feel like people always need to justify why they get an emotional response from a video game/movie/tv show/toy, but that’s how humans are.

We attach ourselves to different things, and I have absolutely felt some negative mental strain from the wait for Metroid Prime 4. Right now work is very busy for me and I was very much looking forward to another chance to see Prime 4 at a Nintendo Direct. Yet, here we are in April with nothing so far.

I look forward to the day we see Prime 4 not just for the obvious reason, but because it means I can just relax and be more open to surprises rather than just wanting one thing all the time.

Stay the course. This is a grand test for all of us, and we will emerge stronger than ever on the other side.

This is what I think of the new DK

I’ve had several dreams about seeing it get announced at a direct

Actually, I wonder how many people on here have dreamt of watching directs
Because a lot of my dreams take place in movie theaters (something I'm pretty sure is unique to me), I've had at least one dream where a Nintendo Direct had a theatrical screening.

Could you imagine if they actually did that in real life? Going to a movie theater full of Nintendo fans to watch the newest Direct live as it airs.

This is what I think of the new DK

I’ve had several dreams about seeing it get announced at a direct

Actually, I wonder how many people on here have dreamt of watching directs
Last night I had a dream that I was called off work to go to my old elementary school to my confusion, only to find out I was meeting with Mr. Tezuka. I think we got Burger King (funnily enough, I actually did leave work early today, was feeling under the weather:/)

Honestly betting that Prime 4 will be announced, will look as good as Prime Remastered and people will be like "surely this is Switch 2 only"

I just got off the phone with Doug Bowser and he told me they will consider launching Switch 2 when BoxBoy + BoxGirl reaches at least 1 million sales for every campaign in the game, so 3 million. That's right, BoxBoy + BoxGirl offers not one, not two, but three separate story modes of pure box-shaped fun for puzzle game enthusiasts for the low price of 9.99.

You guys know what to do.

I just got off the phone with Doug Bowser and he told me they will consider launching Switch 2 when BoxBoy + BoxGirl reaches at least 1 million sales for every campaign in the game, so 3 million. That's right, BoxBoy + BoxGirl offers not one, not two, but three separate story modes of pure box-shaped fun for puzzle game enthusiasts for the low price of 9.99.

You guys know what to do.
Boxboy is such a good series... I only have Bye Bye left to beat. Gotta love HAL's consistency

Eh, the misconceptions about Metroid come from the long dry spells of yesteryear. N64 era. and post Prime 3/Fusion era.

For whatever reason, they weren't making the games which led people to think it wasn't successful.

It seems like they've found a studio to consistently pump out 2D Metroid games now though, and Retro had just taken a break from it so....yeah.
And development troubles are the other part of the story.

Oh and a few games with really bad reputation also didn't help (Other M and Federation Force).

That's not really the franchise not being lucrative/successful. People were able to determine Metroid: Dread was what they wanted even after the mess.

So basically, the issue is, they didn't have a dedicated internal studio for Sakamoto and his baby Metroid.

EDIT: Well regardless, the issue is still that there isn't a pipeline set up to produce a game regularly from these franchises. Regardless of if something can sell 1 mil 2 mil 3 mil 5 mil 10 mil.

Last edited:
It's going to be a genuinely surreal experience when we finally see it.
I feel this way about pretty much everything coming from Nintendo - Prime 4, Switch 2, new 3D Mario, etc. So much great stuff is coming, and we're right on the cusp of it

It's just frustrating because we were having the same conversations last year and I'm scared we'll be having them again next year. How many "one last holiday"s will the Switch have?

In April 2025 are we going to be back here again with some posters saying "actually Chibi Robo Compilation, Four Swords Adventures HD and Kyle Hyde Returns Is a good line up while we wait for 2026, I am very zen and free from desire" while the wait for the new Switch and the new 3D Mario just drags on and on? I'm a bit fed up now.

Pokemon being 2025 makes me inclined to believe that Metroid Prime 4 is the big game this year.

I agree. It should be the BIG Nintendo game this year

It's just frustrating because we were having the same conversations last year and I'm scared we'll be having them again next year. How many "one last holiday"s will the Switch have?

In April 2025 are we going to be back here again with some posters saying "actually Chibi Robo Compilation, Four Swords Adventures HD and Kyle Hyde Returns Is a good line up while we wait for 2026, I am very zen and free from desire" while the wait for the new Switch and the new 3D Mario just drags on and on? I'm a bit fed up now.
For select people each, the three of those are dream releases lol. If there was a delay Switch 2 by six months, but you get Four Swords Adventures with online button in front of me, I’m slamming that button haha.

me rn after finishing unicorn overlord :
1yvVAwh2K76-ZOK4ZA3kGXd_IyA=.gif

I want Metroid prime 2 & 3 remastered
and Zelda wind waker

and after seeing this :

I am starting to believe that we are getting a partner showcase

Last edited:
For select people each, the three of those are dream releases lol. If there was a delay Switch 2 by six months, but you get Four Swords Adventures with online button in front of me, I’m slamming that button haha.
Yeah I picked those games because I'd actually like to play all of them. But for me, I'm just ready for what's next.

All my joy cons have drift, my knock-off controllers are rubbish and won't connect wirelessly so I can only play handheld. But my OG Switch has terrible battery life, so I can't play long, and it's got a mega loud fan. I'm tired of this creaky old system, but I don't have the money to replace it and then to buy a successor soon after; so I just want an upgradeed experience now.

Same deal with Kid Icarus: Uprising.... the thing sold over 5 million.
That's mega successful. Sakurai has implied in his videos that he wishes the game would be remade/rereleased. These franchises are doomed cause they are one-offs and don't have dedicated studios to them.
This is not even remotely true, lol. Uprising's last reported number (as of the end of 2022) was 1.37m: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.170/

Back
Top Bottom