• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

00-look-2-regina-george-mean-girls-throwback-thursday-640x480.jpg

Stop trying to make a StarTropics revival happen. It's not going to happen.

soyouretellingmetheresachance-8.gif

I’m really not sure what happens next, but at least there’s something with the new FY report soon. And we’re less than two months away from all the usual June gaming news and the buildup to all that so the industry as a whole will finally have to talk about the holiday season.

Ykw fuck pessimism, Switch 2 statement this week. They're gonna say it's happening next year ahead of the gathering and their pretty busy May. No console, no games, not even a final name, just, "New console will launch next March" and that's it.

We are less than 3 weeks away from Endless Ocean and less than 6 weeks away from Paper Mario. Let’s get some speculation going, this week are we getting:

A: Endless Ocean trailer only
B: Paper Mario trailer only
C: Trailers for both
D: No Trailers + Silence
E: Something Else??
I think it's going to be "A: Endless Ocean trailer only"!! We are in the Overview Trailer time period for most Nintendo First Party games so I could totally see it being put out on Tuesday or Wednesday!

I wouldn't be surprised if a TTYD trailer debuts as well because they have liked doing multiple trailer drops at once here and there but if I had to say a lock among all those, I feel like it's Endless Ocean! :D

Overview trailer for sure, but do we get a demo? All of Nintendo’s other 1st party releases this year have had one, have they been too frequent? Or do they really need to market this game

We are less than 3 weeks away from Endless Ocean and less than 6 weeks away from Paper Mario. Let’s get some speculation going, this week are we getting:

A: Endless Ocean trailer only
B: Paper Mario trailer only
C: Trailers for both
D: No Trailers + Silence
E: Something Else??

I say we'll get an Endless Ocean overview trailer either this week or next. Some people may argue that "Sounds of the sea" was the overview trailer, but that was more like a vibes trailer, whereas the overview trailer should showcase a glimpse on some/all the features. Trailer trailer trailer trailer..

The sheer fact that they delayed it, apparently because of software, shows that they care a lot about having a substantial 1st party line up ready, and I’m pretty sure that includes titles like a new Mario Party which, if it launched this year, would take them another 3-4 years to make.

This gonna end up EXACTLY as the Switch launch and they'll dripfed the substential 1st party lineup in a sea of Switch 1 HD ports. There was a Wii U drought, a gap with nothing where everybody was like "ogh thank you Nintendo for giving us time to play our backlogs" and we still got a year with nothing but ports on Switch.

I'm expecting some sort of direct next week (25th to be precise). The week after that is Golden Week so there will be nothing, and they still need to give us an overview/story mode trailer for Endless Ocean, the next NSO update, and ideally some info on what's new in both Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion.

Cross-posting from the Hardware thread, Nintendo's not attenting Gamescom 2024 as an exhibitor:

That means they also see no need to demo upcoming software. Might (possibility!) point to a pretty barren year?
Nintendo loves doing hands-on sessions with the public. Them skipping Gamescom when they usually have a booth is notable and could be our biggest hint to a lighter second half. It’s worth pointing out that if they have more remasters/remakes those might not need hands-on time because they’re not new gameplay experiences.

Just going to mildly cope intensely, but maybe Nintendo doesn't want to leak another series of leaks like last year? It's a valid enough reason, especially since we kinda know that Switch 2 Devkits have been sent out?

Given Gamescom is mainly a huge ad platform for Nintendo, it mostly points that this year might be a really dry / uneventful release year.

The leaks in combination with the rumored delay might play a small role too, but in terms of hardware this mostly means that even if they announce the system by May's briefing, we won't see it during summer.

But imo this is more on painting a picture for software releases in 2024.

I'm in agreement, I think this has less to do with the new hardware+software, but mainly to do with Switch software or lack thereof.

When Nintendo announces and shows off Drake, it will be as much on their own terms.

But well, seems like they're dropping OG Switch hard for the rest of 2024.

Nintendo this year be like:

"I wouldn't tell anyone if I won the lottery had a brand new console coming out early next year, but there would be hints."

I don't think Nintendo is skipping Gamescon because they won't have a good Switch lineup for the fall. I think they're skipping Gamescon because they're pissed off about the leaks last year.

Sometimes I feel it's the opposite. The quieter the Switch front is, the more noise there is on the Switch 2.
One of Newton's lesser known adages.

I think Nintendo ignoring Gamescom is very good for things to come btw, it literally just means that the Software front is going to make the Sahara Desert look like the ocean.

Yeeepp, we’re getting a June Direct to outline H2 releases. I think they’re waiting to see what Remakes and remasters can go gold by then

When asked, a spokeswoman for Nintendo of Europe said: “Gamescom is a central event in Nintendo’s event calendar. This year, however, after careful consideration, we decided against taking part in Cologne. Instead, players can try out the games for Nintendo Switch as part of other Germany-wide events.”

why would they add the last part if they had nothing at all?

Given Gamescom is mainly a huge ad platform for Nintendo, it mostly points that this year might be a really dry / uneventful release year.

The leaks in combination with the rumored delay might play a small role too, but in terms of hardware this mostly means that even if they announce the system by May's briefing, we won't see it during summer.

But imo this is more on painting a picture for software releases in 2024.
Nintendo loves doing hands-on sessions with the public. Them skipping Gamescom when they usually have a booth is notable and could be our biggest hint to a lighter second half. It’s worth pointing out that if they have more remasters/remakes those might not need hands-on time because they’re not new gameplay experiences.
Yeeepp, we’re getting a June Direct to outline H2 releases. I think they’re waiting to see what Remakes and remasters can go gold by then
I TOLD Y'ALL SO!!! Why would they have games like a new Donkey Kong and Mario Party ready to go for the holidays after an emergency delay? Go back to my worst case scenario lineup from a few pages ago, let's be real, that's the new best case lineup. It's gonna be a DRY one y'all

We’ve “survived” 2016 and 2020, we can survive another relatively dry year in 2024. 2017 and 2021 were both worth the wait, and I’m certain 2025 will be as well.

For a more optimistic take it could just be about avoiding switch 2 details leaking like last time, but i feel like they would just not show it off behind closed doors or tighten the amount who can see it opposed to just straight up not going this year especially if they had a new DK or prime 4 coming this year

I mean...if they are worried about switch 2 leaks at gamescom than I wouldn't expect much of a reveal until afterwards.

Nintendo didn't attend Gamescom in 2021 nor 2022 and both years had stellar H2 lineups. They didn't attend E3 last year and the second half was stellar as well - even tho we jumped to the exact same conclusion.

Gamescom isn't till August

tough to attend when they'll be out of business by then after they announce that they won't be releasing any more games once TTYD drops

Back
Top Bottom