• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will never know, but it would be interesting to see what the long-term software/hardware plan was before the pandemic vs what it became afterwards.

If feel like every day we wake up, we reset the clock with this whole Switch Pro debacle... for four years now! Can we reach five years next?

here’s my current thinking (before I go bury my nose in work all day lmao)

Splatoon OLED announced now for release End of August
Next week: Direct Mini + Hardware Showcase for new 4K unit released in late September/Early October, including Splatoon 3 trailer/gameplay in 4K (this is why no Splatoon Tournament next week: they don’t want a Splatoon 2-related video going up on their channel when they’ve got a nice 4K trailer for Splatoon 3 Going up the same week. Confusion avoidance.)

they couldn’t announce the Splatoon OLED during Next Week’s Thing because they’re announcing the 4K unit and they don’t want people to think the Splatoon OLED does 4K. They had to get that announcement out first, hence the fanfarelessness of it

they couldn’t show a Splatoon trailer or gameplay video today alongside this new unit because this game is also going to be one of the big headliners for 4K support on the new unit and they’re saving all their ammo for next week’s blowout

The 2017 Switch model is phased out. The OLED at 350 becomes the new normal (yes the splatoon version is 360. That paint is expensive). The lineup becomes Lite at 200, OLED at 350, 4K at 500. For my fellow Canadians: 250 CAD for Lite, 450 CAD for OLED, 650 CAD for 4K. That last one is gonna sting for us all.

Internally, the Splatoon OLED is both 1) a nice thing for Splatoon fans and 2) public assurance they are not abandoning the non-4K models, and that those models are absolutely still valid for non-4KTV-owning and/or mostly handheld users.

Last edited:
here’s my current thinking (before I go bury my nose in work all day lmao)

Splatoon OLED announced now for release End of August
Next week: Direct Mini + Hardware Showcase for new 4K unit released in late September/Early October, including Splatoon 3 trailer/gameplay in 4K

they couldn’t announce the Splatoon OLED during Next Week’s Thing because they’re announcing the 4K unit and they don’t want people to think the Splatoon OLED does 4K. They had to get that announcement out first, hence the fanfarelessness of it

they couldn’t show a Splatoon trailer or gameplay video today alongside this new unit because this game is also going to be one of the big headliners for 4K support on the new unit and they’re saving all their ammo for next week’s blowout

The 2017 Switch model is phased out. The OLED at 350 becomes the new normal (yes the splatoon version is 360. That paint is expensive). The lineup becomes Lite at 200, OLED at 350, 4K at 500. For my fellow Canadians: 250 CAD for Lite, 450 CAD for OLED, 650 CAD for 4K. That last one is gonna sting for us all.

Internally, the Splatoon OLED is both 1) a nice thing for Splatoon fans and 2) public assurance they are not abandoning the non-4K models, and that those models are absolutely still valid for non-4KTV-owning and/or mostly handheld users.
Don't want to be that guy but week after this seems too close to me, idk. I would expect August or late July, would love to be wrong tho.

I went to look up a picture of Carbuncle from Final Fantasy to rhyme with uncle. I came to find out carbuncle is a real word meaning pus that grows under an infected area (hair follicles). Well I learned something new today.

Don't want to be that guy but week after this seems too close to me, idk. I would expect August or late July, would love to be wrong tho.
I get why you’re thinking this but empirically it lines up with the lack of Splatoon tournament stuff. They don’t want a Splatoon-related video going up in the same week they’re trying to get as many eyes as possible on a nice shiny 4K Splatoon 3 trailer.

Seriously has Nintendo ever announced a special edition console and a new hardware console so close before. I just don’t think this will happen. I think people should just RESET THE CLOCKS!

I did it, you gave me 4000 Yeahs, now I can rest and stop posting. You need this hype train going by yourselves.

4000.png

There has to be something coming soon from Nintendo. Switch Sports, Mario Kart, and Mario Strikers need updates, Splatoon needs a trailer, and Bayo needs dated. Something is coming. I think its next week.

Releasing Switch Pro this year would be really weird but not impossible

The thing is it will be a more expansive console obviously,and it's harder to sell an expansive console with just Metroid Prime remaster and a new Pokemon that doesn't even have decent graphics

Why wouldn't Nintendo just delay it to early next year alongside bigger and more suited games to launch with ?

a counter point would be if BoTW 2 or new Mario games launched early next year they can still be used to hype the Switch Pro this year even if they're not launch titles, they'll be part of the hype cycle for the new revision

but I find it very unlikely that Nintendo would choose this approach, especially with how Splatoon 3 seemingly removed from being part of marketing the Switch Pro

I’d rather live every day believing it is the day the Switch Pro will be revealed than live a single day thinking it won’t.

Splatoon Break could easily be nothing, but I do think it'll be a Spotlight without hardware at this point. All signs point to something getting revealed soon, as actual, tangible signs point to it this time, but I foresee it's in September, after Splatoon OLED is out, it'll be March 2023, Zelda will launch alongside it, and it'll be a proper second-generation Switch.

I also feel like there could be just Twitter drops for Metroid Prime Definitive Edition, Bayonetta 3 with a dedicated 15-minute presentation, Splatoon 3 Direct, etc. And we don't get the next HUGE first-party drop until the next Switch is revealed in September.

Unless Furukawa saying the Switch was in the middle of its lifecycle actually means that there will be a Switch 4k that basically guarantees 1080/60 (upscaled to 4K) for all games, and they plan on riding that out for the next 3-5 years. This also could mean no first-party games will be exclusive to it (minus one or two) and third parties will adapt accordingly. That and the DLSS Switch is still 5 years away.

It's been a looong time since the Switch launched, and even first-party games are struggling with resolutions/framerates. So I definitely think there's more than a Pro.

Also, I feel it would not be called Switch 2 but Super Nintendo Switch. It's a callback, it clearly marks a next-generation, and it doesn't imply the eventual existence of a 3rd generation Switch, like a Switch 2 would do.

Releasing Switch Pro this year would be really weird but not impossible

The thing is it will be a more expansive console obviously,and it's harder to sell an expansive console with just Metroid Prime remaster and a new Pokemon that doesn't even have decent graphics

Why wouldn't Nintendo just delay it to early next year alongside bigger and more suited games to launch with ?

a counter point would be if BoTW 2 or new Mario games launched early next year they can still be used to hype the Switch Pro this year even if they're not launch titles, they'll be part of the hype cycle for the new revision

but I find it very unlikely that Nintendo would choose this approach, especially with how Splatoon 3 seemingly removed from being part of marketing the Switch Pro
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope would be a great title to launch the system with. And Pokemon actually looks pretty okay graphics-wise. It's probably not a system seller, but it's far from bad.

It's absolutely disgraceful that an accessory was sold that wasn't even compatible with the game at launch.

It works for the shootout mode. But I agree lol

What's even funnier is that immediately upon playing Switch Sports soccer competitively, you realize the leg strap would just be a major hinderance. Nobody who frequently plays that mode online will ever use it. Who is this update even for at this point?

Splatoon Break could easily be nothing, but I do think it'll be a Spotlight without hardware at this point. All signs point to something getting revealed soon, as actual, tangible signs point to it this time, but I foresee it's in September, after Splatoon OLED is out, it'll be March 2023, Zelda will launch alongside it, and it'll be a proper second-generation Switch.

I also feel like there could be just Twitter drops for Metroid Prime Definitive Edition, Bayonetta 3 with a dedicated 15-minute presentation, Splatoon 3 Direct, etc. And we don't get the next HUGE first-party drop until the next Switch is revealed in September.

Unless Furukawa saying the Switch was in the middle of its lifecycle actually means that there will be a Switch 4k that basically guarantees 1080/60 (upscaled to 4K) for all games, and they plan on riding that out for the next 3-5 years. This also could mean no first-party games will be exclusive to it (minus one or two) and third parties will adapt accordingly. That and the DLSS Switch is still 5 years away.

It's been a looong time since the Switch launched, and even first-party games are struggling with resolutions/framerates. So I definitely think there's more than a Pro.

Also, I feel it would not be called Switch 2 but Super Nintendo Switch. It's a callback, it clearly marks a next-generation, and it doesn't imply the eventual existence of a 3rd generation Switch, like a Switch 2 would do.
What signs?

If Metroid Prime Remaster is really coming this year and Switch Pro too, I don't see any other scenario than both launching together.
But Switch Pro + BOTW sequel next year seems more likely to me.

What signs?
The amount of money they're spending on parts, how the Splatoon OLED corresponds with the one rumor from the factory, the numerous confirmations about dev kits being out there, and more from the Future Hardware thread.

It is a little tough to keep up with that thread though.

splatoon2-inkopolis-showdown-2022-official-rules.pdf

Reading this it’s only a NoA thing. Which makes it even weirder that they’re putting it on pause. I don’t think a holiday in Japan on July 18 (Monday) would matter for a North American tournament.

it's harder to sell an expansive console with just Metroid Prime remaster and a new Pokemon that doesn't even have decent graphics
This thing will have very limited quantities and will be highly sought after by enthusiasts. It doesn't need any help to sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom