• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn‘t say that no "general" Direct this summer was a problem of lack in communication. But I think a general problem in the game industry is the idea of less information is always better.

In Nintendo’s case they could easily have had set expections with saying in advance to expect this summer "only" a partner showcase and other news spread trough the summer. They could have also said in a twitter post or some blog news that there would be game specific directs before the release of Xenoblade or Splatoon.

They don‘t always have to surprise people and follow the hype culture, sometimes the feedback is better when knowing some broader stuff in advance. For example I think it is a good thing that they gave us a timeframe for Splatoon 3 updates and are saying that we can expect "large DLC". I hope they will do this roadmap thing more. Especially now with patterns still being less certain I feel like it is important to say a bit more what the plans are.

Last edited:
Nate said in the last episode that he thinks that there will be a Nintendo Direct in September, I only hope it's a General Direct.
Maybe next week Nate start to ask about sacrifices.

I'm gonna predict some third party games to be announced on the next Direct, so that way it serves for either general or Partner:
  • Tales of Arise is coming to the Switch in November!!
  • Dragon Quest III remake reveal;
  • Dragon Quest X offline localization for 2023;
  • Soul Hackers 2 coming to Switch in 2023;
  • new Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope trailer(Rosalina please? 😭);
  • HD 2D remake of either Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger;
  • sizzle reel with upcoming games: Overwatch 2, Nier Automata End of Yorha Edition, No Man's Sky, Persona 5 Royal, etc;
  • Shin Megami Tensei V-2 reveal.

A Harada game coming to Switch lmao

I have high doubts about Metroid prime remake...I do not get it,Retro should be focused on MP4,
Development started before they took on Prime 4 and it is also a good way for Retro employees to get experience working on the Prime franchise before making a whole new entry

Looking forward to Nate's podcast today!

I admit that I've felt a bit frustrated with Nintendo's approach to communication this summer. But we are now starting to move into the second half of the year, and Direct or not, there will be news, and there are big games coming out.

The next 30 days seems interesting to follow

Confirmed:
21/08 –> Pokémon S/V trailer (Pokémon World Championship)
23/08 –> Gamescom ONL
24/08 - 28/08 –> Gamescom
27/08 –> Splatoon 3 - Splatfest World Premiere
03/09 - 06/09 –> PAX West (with Nintendo)
09/09 –> The Disney and Marvel Games Showcase
09/09 –> Splatoon 3 release date
15/09 até 18/09 –> Tokyo Game Show

Possibilities (patterns of past years):
Indie World before the Pax West
Direct or Partner before the Tokyo Game Show

The next 30 days seems interesting to follow

Confirmed:
21/08 –> Pokémon S/V trailer (Pokémon World Championship)
23/08 –> Gamescom ONL
24/08 - 28/08 –> Gamescom
27/08 –> Splatoon 3 - Splatfest World Premiere
03/09 - 06/09 –> PAX West (with Nintendo)
09/09 –> The Disney and Marvel Games Showcase
09/09 –> Splatoon 3 release date
15/09 até 18/09 –> Tokyo Game Show

Possibilities (patterns of past years):
Indie World before the Pax West
Direct or Partner before the Tokyo Game Show
Within the next 30 days we will receive official confirmation of Metroid Prime Remake and title reveal of Botw2 at the September direct, a release date announcement for Silksong at the Indie World, reveals of new pokemon, a brand new Marvel game for the Switch at the Disney even. Sheeeeeeshhhhh

Wish I could be as bullish on BotW2 showing up at a potentiel September direct. Hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll need to wait a bit more

That's why I said "third party wise". All Switch had were Super Bomberman R and that Skylanders game on the launch day. SF4 alone was better than those two.

Even though they were digital only I do think these launch games deserve a mention: Specter of Torment, Fast RMX and I am Setsuna, all quality games.

Within the next 30 days we will receive official confirmation of Metroid Prime Remake and title reveal of Botw2 at the September direct, a release date announcement for Silksong at the Indie World, reveals of new pokemon, a brand new Marvel game for the Switch at the Disney even. Sheeeeeeshhhhh
we’re not getting a single one of those in the next 30 days

we will, however, get an announcement for Waluigi’s Tricycle Heist

BOTW will get a new trailer next 1st party Direct, Zelda games have always long marketing cycles so it would make sense to start promoting the game in September for a March-June release

Yeah, I'm pretty confident about a Direct pre-TGS and about a proper trailer of the BotW sequel on it.

giphy.gif

If a good mood means preparing yourself for no Direct then i'm really curious about how it is during bad mood.
I dunno about @Mori Medinayo , but typically mean preparing for no Direct in a good mood versus a bad mood is usually dependant on how hungry I am 😋 (whether if I'm satiated with my games or literal hunger lol)

I kinda feel that we won't get a direct pre-Splatoon 3 launch so Nintendo don't detract from any of the hype about it, but they won't dally with a direct after its release.

Also they won't be in a rush to get one out pre-September as we pretty much know their plans for the rest of the year, but a good showing for early 2023 releases to keep hype fresh going into Christmas would be a solid strategy.

Finished listening to the Nintendo bit, and if you're looking for the obvious:

Nate has heard of plans for a Nintendo Direct in September, however he does NOT know the branding. Both Nate and MVG are speculating that it's highly likely to be a General Direct.

Once again, great podcast Nate. Always love listening!

Nate has heard of plans for a Nintendo Direct in September, however he does NOT know the branding. Both Nate and MVG are speculating that it's highly likely to be a General Direct.

Makes sense, Nate said countless times that the branding is something that is never known. I personally think that it's September 2nd - Friday midnight in EU. It makes ton of sense and it won't be in Splatoon week.

Yeah i feel the same way. Im bracing myself for no proper directs until maybe next january or february, but id love to be wrong
I am also coming to the realization that there very well could be the possibility of no directs for the rest of this year, aside from maybe an indie direct.

Edit: so your saying there’s a chance!

Last edited:
BOTW will get a new trailer next 1st party Direct, Zelda games have always long marketing cycles so it would make sense to start promoting the game in September for a March-June release
I agree. We got title reveal and tons of gameplay of BotW at E3 8.5 months before release. September will be ~6 months before a march release and ~9 months before a June release. It's plenty of time actually.

On the release date tho it's a bit tricky as we only got BotW 1.5 months before launch. But it is not something set in stone as we got Animal Crossing New Horizons 9 months before release (I'm using the example of another non-finished/gone gold game).

I agree. We got title reveal and tons of gameplay of BotW at E3 8.5 months before release. September will be ~6 months before a march release and ~9 months before a June release. It's plenty of time actually.

On the release date tho it's a bit tricky as we only got BotW 1.5 months before launch. But it is not something set in stone as we got Animal Crossing New Horizons 9 months before release (I'm using the example of another non-finished/gone gold game).
I would like to say that we will get a release date, but this is Zelda team after all. Am not saying that the game will be delayed further into 2023, but I think the release date isn't something they will share just yet. But we will probably learn about it 4 or so months before release, that goes with other big EPD titles from recent time, like how Splatoon's release date was announced in April and game is coming in September.

Even if it wouldn't be a general direct, at some point they need to talk about early 2023 and Zelda and I doubt they would wait with that until January or something.

It'd make sense to have a General Direct now, they had a lot of games scheduled and news to bring during the summer so they really didn't "need" to show new stuff in a Direct, but there's not that much left now, especially after Splat3 releases we only know of Bayo3 and Pokémon iirc.

Of course, they could always just reveal their first party games on Twitter but I feel that's unlikely. They usually leave "smaller" news for tweets, like game updates or release dates.

I think FF16 recently did a decent job with this - they announced they'd be showing more of FF16 late 2021, then announced it was delayed until Spring 2022, then showed the game in Spring as they said. Maybe not perfect, and certainly very vague, but it did manage expectations pretty well IMO.
Not really. They told us not to expect news in 2021... 5 days before January 1st 2022. And then said the game would release soon when the next info dropped, only to announce a release date over a year away (well, I guess it is soon on SE's timetable)

EDIT: Oh I missed the news, glad to hear that a Direct's coming! Hoping it's a General

A Partner Showcase isn't very likely IMO. The last one was a LOT bigger than usual and dated games for Autumn.
yeah, I was thinking the same

I don't imagine there would be too much to cover for the rest of the year. The primary goal of an event would be to announce plans for early 2023

I for one expect Fire Emblem

well shit, September is basically a lock then

would be funny to get another Partner Showcase
Some people want the world to burn lol.
In all seriousness tho, I don't think that would be the end of the world or something like that.
To be very honest, if they announce Prime Remake on the twitter in the following weeks, I'll be fully expecting a Partner Showcase, with Fire Emblem reveal and Zelda trailer being twitter drops for September - December and reappearing on the February Direct.
I would like to say that we will get a release date, but this is Zelda team after all. Am not saying that the game will be delayed further into 2023, but I think the release date isn't something they will share just yet. But we will probably learn about it 4 or so months before release, that goes with other big EPD titles from recent time, like how Splatoon's release date was announced in April and game is coming in September.
That's true! It's been kinda normal scheme to them to have games dated 4-5 months before release (Dread, Mario Party, Xenoblade, etc). One could argue those would be "finished" games that they would be more confident so it would apply to Zelda, but we do have non-finished games with dates way before release like Splatoon 3 and Animal Crossing New Horizons. Zelda is its own thing but I think they'll go either a Bayonetta 3 trailer route and announce a March date in a January Twitter drop or at the February Direct if it's April-June.
September 2nd at midnight in Europe, September 2nd at 7am in Japan and September 1st at 3pm PT/6pm ET in US. Bookmark this post.
I'm still on the August 31st/September 1st train because that's the closest possible scenario lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom