• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be on the safe side I am still not going to 100% expect a Direct this September. Eventually Nintendo will have to shed light on their 2023 plans, and a September presentation is a good way to start that messaging. With that said there are plenty of other ways they could announce new titles. It is a bit odd that we have not heard any rumblings from the usual sources, as this month is nearly over and September is coming up quick.
I mean we only just passed the middle mark of August, give it time I'd say.

And no teases/hints doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a Direct, hell I wouldn't be surprised if say Nate decides to not tease/hint at anything while knowing a General Direct is coming after the crap he's been put through during the Dark Times of June Past

If Nintendo announces a Direct date with some version of "With a focus on upcoming 2022 and early 2023 games" this place will lose its shit.

EDIT: Like in both good and bad ways

i think GB/C will be normal, GBA will be Expansion Pack

GameCube will be Expansion Pack + Drake exclusive
NOOOOOOOOOO 😭😭😭😭

In all seriousness tho I think it'll be GB/GBC for vanilla and GBA for NSO+EP too. I think Game Cube will come later - like 2023, but will come to current Switch too.

I'm gonna predict some third party games to be announced on the next Direct, so that way it serves for either general or Partner:
  • Tales of Arise is coming to the Switch in November!!
  • Dragon Quest III remake reveal;
  • Dragon Quest X offline localization for 2023;
  • Soul Hackers 2 coming to Switch in 2023;
  • new Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope trailer(Rosalina please? 😭);
  • HD 2D remake of either Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger;
  • sizzle reel with upcoming games: Overwatch 2, Nier Automata End of Yorha Edition, No Man's Sky, Persona 5 Royal, etc;
  • Shin Megami Tensei V-2 reveal.

I'm gonna predict some third party games to be announced on the next Direct, so that way it serves for either general or Partner:
  • sizzle reel with upcoming games: Overwatch 2, Nier Automata End of Yorha Edition, No Man's Sky, Persona 5 Royal, etc;
I think Rosalina is the villain....

I wish that Nintendo would follow its trend of remakes/ports coming with a side story(Bowser's Fury, Future Connected, Captain Toad Special Episode) with Metroid Prime Remakester having either a Metroid Prime 1.5 or hell even a Metroid Prime 4: the prologue on it.

Does Flight Simulator have the world trade centers in them?
Well I'm so glad you ask !

Guess what ? Flight Simulator is a very old franchise, everyone have been able to crash their planes into the WTC for DECADES. And guess what 2 : No one cares.

Possible First Party announcements for a September Direct.
1) Switch Sports Golf update shadowdrop
2) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC Wave 3
3) Metroid Prime Remakester
4) Fire Emblem 18 + Three Hopes DLC
5) Xenoblade Chronicles 3 DLC Wave 2
6) Breath of the Wild 2 Full trailer with title
7) Splatoon 3 first post-launch update
8) Casual game nobody expected

That alone is some heavy stuff that would make it the best Direct ever for me!! Just adding some stuff that would make it even better:
5.1) they also make a short teaser on the big expansion/standalone game that's coming as part of the expansion pass of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 with a summer 2023 release date;
6.1) they also give it the March 2023 release date;
8.1) Tomodachi Life 2? Animal Crossing spin off? Ring Fit Adventure 2?
9) the next 2D Mario is revealed as a spring 2023 game;
10) a new DK game is revealed for 2023.

I legitimately forgot about Switch Sports Golf. That should be coming next month.

The January 2017 event was, IMO, the last stage presentation they’ll ever do. At the time it absolutely showed, first hand, the limitations of that kind of event. It aired at like, midnight in North America’s Eastern Time Zone, and while they did broadcast it with realtime English dubbing, it was obvious that the moment someone went off-script (cough Suda51 cough) the translator/voice over struggled to keep up.
I don‘t think that they will do big stage presentations in that style anymore but I‘d say that it is possible that they‘d announce stuff at possible future Nintendo live shows/events. I mean just last week they announced the release date of a Kirby game at a live event (which is a small thing and technically not Nintendo, but still).

Also if Corona would not have happened, I could have seen them doing a Mario Anniversary event instead of that direct. But who knows. I think we‘ll see at next years E3 with Treehouse (which was prerecorded the last two years) if they fully abandoned any bigger Live formats.

That alone is some heavy stuff that would make it the best Direct ever for me!! Just adding some stuff that would make it even better:
5.1) they also make a short teaser on the big expansion/standalone game that's coming as part of the expansion pass of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 with a summer 2023 release date;
6.1) they also give it the March 2023 release date;
8.1) Tomodachi Life 2? Animal Crossing spin off? Ring Fit Adventure 2?
9) the next 2D Mario is revealed as a spring 2023 game;
10) a new DK game is revealed for 2023.
Yeah!-ing for Tomodachi Life 2

I don‘t think that they will do big stage presentations in that style anymore but I‘d say that it is possible that they‘d announce stuff at possible future Nintendo live shows/events. I mean just last week they announced the release date of a Kirby game at a live event (which is a small thing and technically not Nintendo, but still).

Also if Corona would not have happened, I could have seen them doing a Mario Anniversary event instead of that direct. But who knows. I think we‘ll see at next years E3 with Treehouse (which was prerecorded the last two years) if they fully abandoned any bigger Live formats.
i hope the switch 2 gets a physical showcase simply because me likes physical showcases

I think the Wave 3 trailer will be a twitter drop a week before Christmas (or at TGA?) with it releasing around 23th December. That Merry Mountain Track would make it the perfect release date.

Maybe Fire Emblem will be in a 2023 direct and there is another surprise game in this one but otherwise this sounds very plausible.

Yes.
Please.

NOOOOOOOOOO 😭😭😭😭

In all seriousness tho I think it'll be GB/GBC for vanilla and GBA for NSO+EP too. I think Game Cube will come later - like 2023, but will come to current Switch too.
I believe Nintendo would want to continue the dripfeed approach in consoles like they do games; GB and GBC for the basic sub in 2022 (and I guess Turbografx-16/PC Engine for EP?), GBA for EP in 2023 (and a bonus dump of more GB/GBC games they've been holding on to after already resorting to quarterly drips), and Gamecube for EP come 2024.

I think if their existing N64 emulators have been having graphical issues as is for being underbaked, 2023 might be too soon for Gamecube NSO to come to the base Switch. Drake+EP for 2023 though, and maybe a 2024 release for the base model Switch if they wanted to split it up.

Direct will be September 1st/2nd based on your timezone. I doubt they will do "it's August in one timezone and it's September in the another one", could create a confusion. If anything it will be August 30/31.

And September 2nd as a Friday isn't a problem here, Switch Presentation happened on Friday in both Japan and EU. Direct in September 2018 happened on Friday in JP, EU midnight - so Friday too, same with 2021 September Direct.

I think September 2nd midnight for EU folks here has a highest chance.

Last edited:
Ah, yeah, Galaxy was the hybrid port/recompiled for Switch but you're right in that the Gamecube emulator NERD built was only good for Sunshine; I forgot that people did try injecting other ISOs into that emulator and none were successful.

I suppose it is very possible that Gamecube NSO could only potentially become a reality with the release of Drake if Nintendo believes the system has enough brute force power to force Gamecube games to work with minimal optimization (not already accounting for games that make use of the analog triggers like F-Zero GX, Luigi's Mansion and some Mario Party minigames), but while I'd love to see more Gamecube love in any capacity on Switch, I highly doubt they'd bring back the Virtual Console model just for this one system.
iirc the problem is with how the ISO is encrypted; the emulator itself supports stuff only used by a handful of games (e.g. bounding box, only used by Paper Mario and 3-4 other games). It is a generally-purposed GC emulator.

So when’s Metroid

michael-caine-never.gif

Yeah!-ing for Tomodachi Life 2
I don't know how it hasn't happened yet tbh. Just makes too much sense.
Yes.
Please.
I think it has a big shot.
Shin Megami Tensei IV got a direct sequel in Apocalypse selling half of what V is selling on the Switch.
The other large scope/ambitious Atlus game, Persona 5, received an expanded version with more story in Royal and a direct sequel on Strikers.
I think either a V-2 like Apocalypse sequel or a very expanded version like Royal is very likely to come. Maybe 2024 is more likely tho. That way the franchise continues fresh and they can get more profit over the foundation of assets/world map that V made.
They're TAUNTING US at this point!!

I still don't get why it hasn't got DLC yet. Only logical explanation to me would be if Super Mario Party 2 was coming soon.
I believe Nintendo would want to continue the dripfeed approach in consoles like they do games; GB and GBC for the basic sub in 2022 (and I guess Turbografx-16/PC Engine for EP?), GBA for EP in 2023 (and a bonus dump of more GB/GBC games they've been holding on to after already resorting to quarterly drips), and Gamecube for EP come 2024.

I think if their existing N64 emulators have been having graphical issues as is for being underbaked, 2023 might be too soon for Gamecube NSO to come to the base Switch. Drake+EP for 2023 though, and maybe a 2024 release for the base model Switch if they wanted to split it up.
Oh yeah 2023 for GCN was definitely optimistic. I think GBA can still happen this year tho. Maybe next year they either take a break/release a ton of bombastic games in September or add another third party console option? Or maybe they surprise us with DS or idk.
So when’s Metroid
Never 😔

Seriously tho I think it's either shadow dropped in the remaining days of August or it's one of the spotlight announcements of September Direct.

Mario Party probably doesn’t get DLC because NDCube seems to have a preference in moving quickly to the next Mario Party game, is how they have always worked for more than two decades now even when they were in Hudson. NCL must we more than happy with NDCube Switch success so no reason to change things

Last edited:

I'd rate the possibility of these as this:

1) Likely, but could see it being later as well.
2) Not likely, it's too soon after wave 2. Probably a Twitter announcement in late November/early December.
3) Many believe it, and there are sources backing it up, but I remain skeptical that it'll actually pan out.
4) Three Hopes DLC yes. New Fire Emblem slightly more skeptical, could see it being an announcement in a February Direct for a June/July release most likely.
5) Maybe, could be too small of a thing for a Nintendo Direct, though. If the new hero is a crowd pleaser it might be in there.
6) I'll actually say no on this. My guess is that it's a late March release, and that they'll have a trailer in the February Direct, with a following BotW 2 Direct one or two weeks later. I doubt they feel the need to show anything more before that.
7) Definitely, at least a little something.
8) Yeah, I think that's pretty likely in some capacity.

so now that I finished my quota of one (1) video game per year with xenoblade I'm back to begging my favorite company for more commercials

A bit dramatic in my opinion, Microsoft and Nintendo had shown a lot over the summer especially Nintendo's first party wise next Direct will most likely focus on the first half of 2023 which is exciting. I feel like Sony is the one lacking atm we don't know anything about their lineup besides GoWR, and supposedly they have a showcase in September.

A bit dramatic in my opinion, Microsoft and Nintendo had shown a lot over the summer especially Nintendo's first party wise next Direct will most likely focus on the first half of 2023 which is exciting. I feel like Sony is the one lacking atm we don't know anything about their lineup besides GoWR, and supposedly they have a showcase in September.
I assume they're probably going to talk about that (Sony), plus the Nintendo situation this summer. Although including Microsoft in that feels a bit odd, since they actually did have a pretty normal summer showcase that I thought was good and had a lot to show.

I assume they're probably going to talk about that (Sony), plus the Nintendo situation this summer. Although including Microsoft in that feels a bit odd, since they actually did have a pretty normal summer showcase that I thought was good and had a lot to show.
The inclusion of Microsoft makes sense. As does Sony. And Nintendo. The latter is tougher to find fault with in a direct way (in terms of finding a resolution that would appeal fans and the business side); while the two former could have avoided problems with just a bit of communication.

The inclusion of Microsoft makes sense. As does Sony. And Nintendo. The latter is tougher to find fault with in a direct way (in terms of finding a resolution that would appeal fans and the business side); while the two former could have avoided problems with just a bit of communication.
Makes sense! Looking forward to it. I feel like lack of communication (and going overboard with secrecy) has been an ongoing problem in the industry - but, then again, there have been some issues that have arisen when companies say too much or show things too early, too, so I can kind of see where they're coming from. Granted, those problems are almost entirely with fans being shitty about something. A bit more openness and middle ground there would sure be nice, though.

I just want to see ''nintendo presents - a retro studios game'' again. I think the current world issues are caused by the fact the last time we got an original retro studios game was 8 years ago.

Makes sense! Looking forward to it. I feel like lack of communication (and going overboard with secrecy) has been an ongoing problem in the industry - but, then again, there have been some issues that have arisen when companies say too much or show things too early, too, so I can kind of see where they're coming from. Granted, those problems are almost entirely with fans being shitty about something. A bit more openness and middle ground there would sure be nice, though.
We try to address all those angles. The thumbnail and title will get a reaction from those who are quick to react, at least. Transparency is a good thing but it does come with a cost. Silence also comes at a cost. Can there be a balance between the two? We try to explore those type of angles & how it is dependent on the situation/company.

Gamers always talk about how they want more transparency and then they show their asses when that transparency is given. Bungie is probably one of the most transparent companies out there with weekly blog updates about Destiny 2 and direct access to devs on Twitter and they routinely have to tell their audience that harassment is not acceptable. A Bungie employee recently deleted their Twitter account because he directly told a fan a certain armor ability wasn't coming back and of course the community harassed him off the site.

It's often just a relatively small percentage of the community that are shit heads but it's enough to not want to engage with anyone at all.

My theory is that the companies have been putting a smaller focus on getting information about stuff out pre-launch because one of the takeaways they had from covid and no E3 is that doing big marketing blowouts and preparing vertical slices of games months and months prior to launch doesn't actually have a notable positive impact on sales, but at the same time they don't want to just drop information without showing something of the games themselves. To be clear I wish they did, since I like knowing things in advance, but it probably makes sense.

Still very interested to hear Nate's podcast though, since I still agree they have not done a good job at communicating in a broad sense.

Gamers always talk about how they want more transparency and then they show their asses when that transparency is given. Bungie is probably one of the most transparent companies out there with weekly blog updates about Destiny 2 and direct access to devs on Twitter and they routinely have to tell their audience that harassment is not acceptable. A Bungie employee recently deleted their Twitter account because he directly told a fan a certain armor ability wasn't coming back and of course the community harassed him off the site.

It's often just a relatively small percentage of the community that are shit heads but it's enough to not want to engage with anyone at all.
No doubt. I'm thinking about the God of War: Ragnarok release date fiasco - there were all those rumors that GoW was delayed, but then it was confirmed it wasn't, and then there were rumors of the release date being announced at the end of June. And then when it wasn't, the devs got all those threats and harrassment, just because a release date - which was only rumored to be announced! - wasn't announced. That small percentage of shitty people will go after anyone about just about anything.

The kind of transparency I want is just about when we can expect news - you can keep it vague, I don't mind that. Just a general "we'll have more to show about BOTW2 this summer" for example. Or, "the next Nintendo Direct/Playstation Showcase will be coming your way this fall! Stay tuned", something like that. That both gives them plenty of wiggle room (fall is a pretty big window) but a least gives fans a small idea about when they can expect something. I think FF16 recently did a decent job with this - they announced they'd be showing more of FF16 late 2021, then announced it was delayed until Spring 2022, then showed the game in Spring as they said. Maybe not perfect, and certainly very vague, but it did manage expectations pretty well IMO.

For me, I don't personally see the problem with the Nintendo situation this summer it was apparent that they would be quiet when Splatoon 3 was dated for September. there was no reason for Nintendo to do an Direct in the Summer that focus on First Half of 2023 games would frustrate people even more if they did

For me, I don't personally see the problem with the Nintendo situation this summer it was apparent that they would be quiet when Splatoon 3 was dated for September. there was no reason for Nintendo to do an Direct in the Summer that focus on First Half of 2023 games would frustrate people even more if they did
I don't really agree there. If Nintendo had done a General Direct in June that was just the Partner Showcase + other smaller announcements they've had since + a few early 2023 games I think that would have made a LOT of people much happier. Why would it frustrate people?

I don't think this summer was bad or a problem, mind you. I just think that in general most people will prefer more news to less news, even if the 'more news' is a little ways off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom